PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Starks arrested...multiple felonies

crabby terrier
February 28th, 2010, 02:36 AM
higgins just announced that he would be running new triple option. uh oh.....

http://www.live5news.com/global/story.asp?s=12058041

slostang
February 28th, 2010, 09:49 AM
If true, I hope they throw the book at him.

AppChicago
February 28th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Really poorly written article. So it was 4 arrested, in total? 2 CofC students, Starks, and another 22-yr-old?

Either way, what a thug. Ahem. Allegedly.

seantaylor
February 28th, 2010, 04:43 PM
El Chit thugs running wild.

Mr. C
February 28th, 2010, 06:26 PM
El Chit thugs running wild.

Another pot calling the kettle black.

superman7515
February 28th, 2010, 06:46 PM
If this had happened in Newark they'd all be from the football team. Sounds like a bunch of slackers to me. ;)

laxVik
February 28th, 2010, 10:01 PM
At least it wasn't a duck

Millwoch
February 28th, 2010, 10:48 PM
The sad part is the victim is a Citadel grad and current assistent coach. Starks faces at least 3 felony charges to include kidnapping because he(or at least one of the four) tied the coach up. Sounds very fishy for some type of gang prank or activity to me. I am sure we will be hearing a lot more about this. One thing is for sure, he will not return to The Citadel. We have had athletes and non-athletes do stupid things in the past, but this one is the worst I can remember. It is in the courts hands now. He better hope he has a **** good lawyer.

A black eye for our program for sure and it pisses me off. Lots of question still to be answered. What was he doing off campus after cerfew is one such question? He had already been suspended from spring ball for academic reasons and many of us had heard he would not qualify next year. I guess all that does not matter now. There was a reason Higgins recruited 3 freshman QB and is bringin in a tranfer. They all will have their chances in the fall to start.

elon77
March 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM
The sad part is the victim is a Citadel grad and current assistent coach. Starks faces at least 3 felony charges to include kidnapping because he(or at least one of the four) tied the coach up. Sounds very fishy for some type of gang prank or activity to me. I am sure we will be hearing a lot more about this. One thing is for sure, he will not return to The Citadel. We have had athletes and non-athletes do stupid things in the past, but this one is the worst I can remember. It is in the courts hands now. He better hope he has a **** good lawyer.

A black eye for our program for sure and it pisses me off. Lots of question still to be answered. What was he doing off campus after cerfew is one such question? He had already been suspended from spring ball for academic reasons and many of us had heard he would not qualify next year. I guess all that does not matter now. There was a reason Higgins recruited 3 freshman QB and is bringin in a tranfer. They all will have their chances in the fall to start.

Would it not be sad if the victim had ben a graduate of someother University?xconfusedx

Seven Would Be Nice
March 1st, 2010, 08:15 AM

For some reason I don't remember any GSU players getting arrested on multiple felony chargers with their coach as the victim...

I'd say this trumps any of the things GSU players have done in the past.

AppIAA
March 1st, 2010, 08:40 AM
Would it not be sad if the victim had ben a graduate of someother University?xconfusedx

I'm pretty sure he's saying it makes it worse that the victim was his own coach!

Silly Elon fans always trying to shoot others down...

Millwoch
March 1st, 2010, 08:41 AM

Yes it would be. This is a heinous crime no matter who was involved. But commiting such a violent act against one of your own is even worse. I can remember 2 South Carolina baseball players getting arrested for stealing money and computers from their coaches. The emotion involved inside the entire program was strong and I am sure the same thing is happening in Charleston today.

ElonPride
March 1st, 2010, 09:19 AM
I'm pretty sure he's saying it makes it worse that the victim was his own coach!

Silly Elon fans always trying to shoot others down...

Quotes from El Cid fans after the defeat by the hands of Elon in '08:

"When you recruit thugs, they act like thugs."
"Truth is, Lembo and his band of thugs have no self-discipline"
"He could not last two weeks at The Citadel"

Thanks to the Elon fan that refreshed my memory.

AppIAA
March 1st, 2010, 09:22 AM
Quotes from El Cid fans after the defeat by the hands of Elon in '08:

"When you recruit thugs, they act like thugs."
"Truth is, Lembo and his band of thugs have no self-discipline"
"He could not last two weeks at The Citadel"

And well, when a fan base makes these accusations, it sure sticks in your mind.

What do those quotes have to do with anything..? I was just simply stating what was clearly obvious what the citadel poster meant..

No reading comprehension at Elon either?

ElonPride
March 1st, 2010, 09:31 AM
What do those quotes have to do with anything..? I was just simply stating what was clearly obvious what the citadel poster meant..

No reading comprehension at Elon either?

Are you seriously bringing academics into this discussion? Did you make an attempt to proofread your previous post?

If you cannot understand the intention behind the quotes, then you are about as dense as they come.

AppIAA
March 1st, 2010, 09:44 AM
Are you seriously bringing academics into this discussion? Did you make an attempt to proofread your previous post?

If you cannot understand the intention behind the quotes, then you are about as dense as they come.

Thanks for proving my point about silly Elon fans always trying to knock others down xsmiley_wix

elon77
March 1st, 2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks for proving my point about silly Elon fans always trying to knock others down xsmiley_wix

I wasn't trying to be silly, just stating that it would be sad if the crime had been carried out on anyone. I didn't want everyone to get their pants in a bunch because I know there can be bad apples in any school or on any team. It is indeed a sad situation that could happen anywhere and it's a shame that something like this did happen at a fine school like The Citadel. It doesn't matter how many good things your school or team does one bad article or screwup like this can give the whole institution a black eye.

AppIAA
March 1st, 2010, 02:02 PM
I wasn't trying to be silly, just stating that it would be sad if the crime had been carried out on anyone. I didn't want everyone to get their pants in a bunch because I know there can be bad apples in any school or on any team. It is indeed a sad situation that could happen anywhere and it's a shame that something like this did happen at a fine school like The Citadel. It doesn't matter how many good things your school or team does one bad article or screwup like this can give the whole institution a black eye.

Thing is, you could have easily said "Yes, it is sad, but The Citadel is still a great institution".. but instead, you had to try to shut down The Citadel poster by arguing what was pretty obvious what he was trying to say..

Millwoch
March 1st, 2010, 02:05 PM

Very true...We will recover. This has brought a black eye to all associated with the school, despite only a few being involved. We are all angry, confused, and saddened by this behavior. We know this will not be tolerated and the entire story will reveal itself in time. But as a school we have faced bigger challenges and we will face even more in the future.

DJOM
March 1st, 2010, 03:07 PM
Yeah, but his measurables were probably really good. Sorry, during recruiting all that is mentioned are a young man's measurables. Little is said about his character and/or school work. Amazed this happened at the Citadel, this behavior is inexcusable.

soweagle
March 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM

Absolutely.

Just slinging back some of the crap that has been thrown our way for years for much, much, much lesser crimes.

BTW, you were spot on regarding Sam Baker. It took me a little longer to see the big picture but you were right on the money with your assesment.

proasu89
March 1st, 2010, 07:25 PM
Very true...We will recover. This has brought a black eye to all associated with the school, despite only a few being involved. We are all angry, confused, and saddened by this behavior. We know this will not be tolerated and the entire story will reveal itself in time. But as a school we have faced bigger challenges and we will face even more in the future.

Citdog for one. xsmiley_wix

xpeacex

seantaylor
March 1st, 2010, 10:44 PM
Hearing the coach they robbed was a dealer now. The hits keep on coming.

AppChicago
March 2nd, 2010, 07:33 AM
Hearing the coach they robbed was a dealer now. The hits keep on coming.

Yeah? Source?

AppIAA
March 2nd, 2010, 07:54 AM
Yeah? Source?

I live in Charleston and have heard this too.. but, it is coming from the grapevine now -- no confirmed sources yet

AppChicago
March 2nd, 2010, 08:12 AM
I live in Charleston and have heard this too.. but, it is coming from the grapevine now -- no confirmed sources yet

Mighty embarrassing if true. Keep us posted.

PhoenixSupreme
March 2nd, 2010, 11:06 AM
Mighty embarrassing if true. Keep us posted.

definitely...that can open up quite a can of worms if it's confirmed

PaladinFan
March 2nd, 2010, 11:36 AM
definitely...that can open up quite a can of worms if it's confirmed

No kidding. If it is determined that the coaching staff had knowledge of this stuff, then you've got a major problem. The Citadel alumni don't strike me as the type that really appreciate their rules being bent or broken.

AppIAA
March 2nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Again, there is no confirmed sources of this.. just what has been "going around town" about the situation..

PaladinFan
March 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Again, there is no confirmed sources of this.. just what has been "going around town" about the situation..

I mean, I'm sure there's a whole lot to this story yet to come out. Remember when Tiger Woods had just been in an accident?

fightingphoenix
March 2nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Wow. Sad and shocked that this happened. Starks had a good future with the team. And some people thought the Elon D linemen were thugs...

OL FU
March 2nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
Bad that it happened, but at least he won't run through FU like **** through a goose in 2010:o

Seriously, stuff happens. The Citadel doesn't put up with this stuff unless blinding a horse is involved. :pxsmiley_wix

Woof
March 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
Coach Higgins is a quality guy and I'm sure a thorough investigation will be done. Hopefully, it is just one bad apple and doesn't run any deeper.

The most poignant quote in the article I read was from Starks to Higgins when he thanked him for the opportunity after beating FU. Guess the opportunity did not mean much to him after all if he's willing to throw it all away like this.xnonono2x

elcid83
March 2nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
Coach Higgins is a quality guy and I'm sure a thorough investigation will be done. Hopefully, it is just one bad apple and doesn't run any deeper.

The most poignant quote in the article I read was from Starks to Higgins when he thanked him for the opportunity after beating FU. Guess the opportunity did not mean much to him after all if he's willing to throw it all away like this.xnonono2x

Unfortunately it is actually two bad apples. Starks' cohort was Reggie Rice, a former Bulldog who we are now finding out somehow managed to become a cadet after [according to The Augusta Chronicle] pleading guilty to felony statutory rape following a September 2005 incident involving three teen girls. He was sentenced in juvenile court to 24 months of probation and 56 hours of community service. This kid didn't deserve to play anywhere in my opinion.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2010-03-01/ex-prep-football-star-rice-arrested-charleston

As a Citadel grad, I was stunned that we would accept such an individual to be a paying cadet, much less a scholarship athlete. I'm concerned that my alma mater, in its quest to once again be a force in the Southern Conference has lost its way. The quality athletes don't want to go to The Citadel because they don't want to put up with the military discipline. However, we can't be bringing this trash in to boost our roster. Maybe VMI got it right when they transferred to the Big South and maybe it's time for my alma mater to consider doing the same.

Woof
March 3rd, 2010, 12:35 PM
Unfortunately it is actually two bad apples. Starks' cohort was Reggie Rice, a former Bulldog who we are now finding out somehow managed to become a cadet after [according to The Augusta Chronicle] pleading guilty to felony statutory rape following a September 2005 incident involving three teen girls. He was sentenced in juvenile court to 24 months of probation and 56 hours of community service. This kid didn't deserve to play anywhere in my opinion.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2010-03-01/ex-prep-football-star-rice-arrested-charleston

As a Citadel grad, I was stunned that we would accept such an individual to be a paying cadet, much less a scholarship athlete. I'm concerned that my alma mater, in its quest to once again be a force in the Southern Conference has lost its way. The quality athletes don't want to go to The Citadel because they don't want to put up with the military discipline. However, we can't be bringing this trash in to boost our roster. Maybe VMI got it right when they transferred to the Big South and maybe it's time for my alma mater to consider doing the same.

I know recruiting is particularly tough in the military environment, but the recent resurgence at some of the academies should provide some level of hope that there are still quality young men out there who want to both put on the pads and serve their country.

I, for one, am pulling for El Cid to recover from this and return to a respectable football program because the in-state conference rivalries among Wofford, FU and El Cid are something I always look forward to and enjoy.

elcid83
March 3rd, 2010, 05:59 PM
I know recruiting is particularly tough in the military environment, but the recent resurgence at some of the academies should provide some level of hope that there are still quality young men out there who want to both put on the pads and serve their country.

I, for one, am pulling for El Cid to recover from this and return to a respectable football program because the in-state conference rivalries among Wofford, FU and El Cid are something I always look forward to and enjoy.

We don't like to admit it Woof, but there is a tremendous difference between a Citadel education and an academy education. I'm sure The Citadel will recover, but, I will remain a disappointed alumni for a long time.

BULLDOG8180
March 5th, 2010, 09:08 PM
We don't like to admit it Woof, but there is a tremendous difference between a Citadel education and an academy education. I'm sure The Citadel will recover, but, I will remain a disappointed alumni for a long time.

Tremendous difference knob? You must be a West Point reject. Besides, your loyalty must not run too deep, cause of your GW bulldog.

I'm certainly disappointed in the actions of former cadets Starks and Rice, and I am interested in the complete story when it all comes out; however, I still remain proud of the cadets that complete their education and become leaders in the military or in their communities. We have a black eye, but it will heal. I continue to wear the ring proudly, not only to represent my classmates, but to represent every Citadel grad.

DJOM
March 6th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Watched an interesting piece on television this morning--Saturday. Did not catch the young man's name. Had "kid's" channel on so I wasn't really paying attention. This was an inspirational show and this wrestler is definantely someone to look up to. He wrestles for the Citadel and seems to be the "norm" for your institution. Shame when one or two can hurt a reputation.

elcid83
March 7th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Tremendous difference knob? You must be a West Point reject. Besides, your loyalty must not run too deep, cause of your GW bulldog.

I'm certainly disappointed in the actions of former cadets Starks and Rice, and I am interested in the complete story when it all comes out; however, I still remain proud of the cadets that complete their education and become leaders in the military or in their communities. We have a black eye, but it will heal. I continue to wear the ring proudly, not only to represent my classmates, but to represent every Citadel grad.

Not trying to hurt your feelings 80. I'm a 3rd generation Citadel man so I didn't even apply anywhere else other than The Citadel. My point is that it is much easier to recruit quality young men to play football at the academies as they don't lower their admissions standards to be competitive in football. Coach Higgins and our administration did lower our alma mater's admission standards to attempt to once again be competitive in the Southern Conference and now we are all paying the price.

Go Bulldogs!

elcid83
March 7th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Not trying to hurt your feelings 80. I'm a 3rd generation Citadel man so I didn't even apply anywhere else other than The Citadel. My point is that it is much easier to recruit quality young men to play football at the academies as they don't lower their admissions standards to be competitive in football. Coach Higgins and our administration did lower our alma mater's admission standards to attempt to once again be competitive in the Southern Conference and now we are all paying the price.

Go Bulldogs!

BTW 80, I pledge allegiance to the GW Runnin' Bulldogs because they thought enough of my son to offer him a scholarship to play football there. If you have children, I suspect you might understand why that might be important to me.

SCPALADIN
March 8th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Looks like the "dealer" rumors are true...

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/mar/05/james-island-robbery-victim-pleads-guilty-selling-/

PaladinFan
March 9th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Interesting that the paper notes Miguel Starks is a "former" Citadel quarterback. As a general question, at what point do you start looking at Coach Higgins and saying "how are these guys getting in here?"

I feel for the Citadel fans as I know how gut wrenching this would be if it were Furman. Hope whatever needs fixing gets fixed down there.

AppChicago
March 9th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I'm trying to figure this out. There appear to be two different incidents: The home invasion of Josh Harpe, an assistant coach at The Citadel, and the home invasion of this guy Butler, who was a pot dealer with his own legal troubles.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2010-03-02/ex-greenbrier-football-star-may-face-more-charges

So are we talking two offenses? And was Harpe also a dealer, or is that just the two stories getting mixed up?

eaglesrthe1
March 9th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Looks like the "dealer" rumors are true...

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/mar/05/james-island-robbery-victim-pleads-guilty-selling-/

It appears that there are two separate robberies that involve similar MO's that are being investigated that may be attributed to the same people. The 1st victim was named Butler who was a former Cadet, but not a coach, which is serving time in FL for selling marijuana.

The 2nd victim was Joshua Harpe, a former Cadet and coach for The Citadel who was also robbed under similar circumstances. People may be confusing the two incidences and mistakenly labeling the 2nd victim as a drug dealer.

The alleged perpetrators were arrested shortly after the second robbery and now investigators are looking to see if the two incidences are related because of the similarities.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/mar/02/deputies-explore-possible-case-link/

elcid83
March 9th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I'm trying to figure this out. There appear to be two different incidents: The home invasion of Josh Harpe, an assistant coach at The Citadel, and the home invasion of this guy Butler, who was a pot dealer with his own legal troubles.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2010-03-02/ex-greenbrier-football-star-may-face-more-charges

So are we talking two offenses? And was Harpe also a dealer, or is that just the two stories getting mixed up?

Harpe is the coach and he is the one that id'ed Starks and Rice. The Sheriff was then able to confirm that a burglary the previous week was done in a very similar way to the Harpe burglary. They arrested the girl that was involved in both incidents first and I suspect they got her to sing on the rest of them.

Responding to PaladinFan, Starks actually comes from a good family situation and I do not believe there was any indication that he was going to cause The Citadel this much trouble. The one I am concerned about is Reggie Rice - he should have never been offered a Citadel scholarship.

Eaglesrus
March 9th, 2010, 10:51 AM
It appears that there are two separate robberies that involve similar MO's that are being investigated that may be attributed to the same people. The 1st victim was named Butler who was a former Cadet, but not a coach, which is serving time in FL for selling marijuana.

The 2nd victim was Joshua Harpe, a former Cadet and coach for The Citadel who was also robbed under similar circumstances. People may be confusing the two incidences and mistakenly labeling the 2nd victim as a drug dealer.

The alleged perpetrators were arrested shortly after the second robbery and now investigators are looking to see if the two incidences are related because of the similarities.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/mar/02/deputies-explore-possible-case-link/

Harpe is the coach and he is the one that id'ed Starks and Rice. The Sheriff was then able to confirm that a burglary the previous week was done in a very similar way to the Harpe burglary. They arrested the girl that was involved in both incidents first and I suspect they got her to sing on the rest of them.

Responding to PaladinFan, Starks actually comes from a good family situation and I do not believe there was any indication that he was going to cause The Citadel this much trouble. The one I am concerned about is Reggie Rice - he should have never been offered a Citadel scholarship.

Thanks for clearing this up; I was having a real hard time understanding how a 21 year old drug dealer was also an assistant coach at The Citadel, but hadn't taken the opportunity to ask.

AppChicago
March 9th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks for clearing this up; I was having a real hard time understanding how a 21 year old drug dealer was also an assistant coach at The Citadel, but hadn't taken the opportunity to ask.

X2. I had figured most of this out, but it's nice to have a little clarification.

seantaylor
March 9th, 2010, 11:43 AM
From what I've heard, the coach is a dealer as well.

GaSouthern
March 9th, 2010, 03:45 PM
http://repairstemcell.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/toilet.jpg
...2010 citadel season

PaladinFan
March 9th, 2010, 08:23 PM
The kid was good. Unfortunate that a young man will take an education and a chance to play the game he loves and flush it down the proverbial toilet.

GATA
March 12th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Well...if the Citadel would cut out the fake military school act...this wouldn't be a problem. This is God punishing the school...clearly. Take the hint.

kdinva
March 13th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Well...if the Citadel would cut out the fake military school act...this wouldn't be a problem. This is God punishing the school...clearly. Take the hint.
Let us welcome Cindy Sheehan to the forum........it's folks from The Citadel, USMA, USNA, USAFA, VMI, that assure you your first amendment rights.xhurrayx

I didn't know Statesboro had their own Haight-Ashburyxblahblahx

AppChicago
March 13th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Let us welcome Cindy Sheehan to the forum........it's folks from The Citadel, USMA, USNA, USAFA, VMI, that assure you your first amendment rights.xhurrayx

I don't think you understood the post...

mrklean
March 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM

Their are men and women from all Colleges and Universities that served to assure our first amendment rights. I'm one of the few who have!

kdinva
March 13th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Their are men and women from all Colleges and Universities that served to assure our first amendment rights. I'm one of the few who have!

I know, and I apoligize to the thousands who served after going through ROTC, etc., at our fine institutions.xsmileyclapx. I never meant that only academy/institute grads put on the uniform.