PDA

View Full Version : What'd Chatty Do Wrong and/or Frisco Do Right?

TexasTerror
February 26th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Over the next few days, I am guessing we will have a better idea of what transpired in terms of the things during the presentation in Indy...

The questions, I'd like to know answers to are:

1) What did Frisco do to woo the NCAA?
2) If anything, what did Chattanooga do wrong, since they were the incumbent and it was their game to lose?

Any thoughts, before any media begins reporting something along these lines?

Monarch History
February 26th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Any decision by the NCAA is a fiscal decision, so the answer is "show me the money".

The Cats
February 26th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Any decision by the NCAA is a fiscal decision, so the answer is "show me the money".

or it could be an attempt to be "politically correct" and give the game to another part of the country - regardless of fiscal impact. :(

danefan
February 26th, 2010, 02:28 PM
or it could be an attempt to be "politically correct" and give the game to another part of the country - regardless of fiscal impact. :(

Highly unlikely.

Its all about $$$$ with the NCAA when it comes to FCS playoffs.

The Cats
February 26th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Highly unlikely.

Its all about $$$$ with the NCAA when it comes to FCS playoffs.

Come on..... If this was the NCAA D1 basketball tournament I'd say you were right.... I think the only thing the NCAA cares about in the FCS, DII, or DIII championships is that it will pay for itself - not a lot of money to be made in any of these championships. xoopsx

ASUG8
February 26th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I'm with the $$$ argument. It's been beaten to death ad nauseum, but Frisco is hardly the best geographic location based on the distribution of schools across the country. From what I see online, they have solid facilities, but Finley doesn't give up anything there IMO. Arguably it's proximity to DFW and a larger check to the NCAA. Hopefully for Frisco they're able to get butts in the seats.

GannonFan
February 26th, 2010, 02:52 PM
It's all about the money - always has been, always will be. Frisco put more money into it than Chatty did and that sealed the deal.

It will be odd not having the title game happen in the SoCon backyard - 2010 will be the first time since 1988 that that's been the case. Certainly will be interesting seeing how the new digs fare.

danefan
February 26th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Come on..... If this was the NCAA D1 basketball tournament I'd say you were right.... I think the only thing the NCAA cares about in the FCS, DII, or DIII championships is that it will pay for itself - not a lot of money to be made in any of these championships. xoopsx

Uhh...I think we're saying the same thing.

Despite the fact that I personally find Dallas a more attractive city then Chatty, I think that point is clearly debatable.

Facilities are about equal, IMO.
Weather was slightly in Frisco's favor, but just slightly.

Chatty offered cost-plus X.
Frisco offered cost-plus Y.

Y > X.

Game over.

msusig
February 26th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Over the next few days, I am guessing we will have a better idea of what transpired in terms of the things during the presentation in Indy...

2) If anything, what did Chattanooga do wrong, since they were the incumbent and it was their game to lose?

The attendance at the last championship game probably didn't help. It's great the game will be where football is king and is in a big city.

msusig
February 26th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I also think that no location should be able to keep the championship more than 6-8 years. No exceptions. That way locals will stay interested in what ever city/town it is in.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 26th, 2010, 03:43 PM

If people are correct in that the Frisco group got major sponsors onboard, then the Frisco bid appeared to the NCAA to be closer to paying for itself. If it's true that SW is going to provide the flights, then there's one major expense less for the NCAA. Did SW give the NCAA some package deal for the entire playoffs?

Let's not kid ourselves, the NCAA would put the game in Timbuktu if the organizers paid the entire tab! xlolx To me, money is without a doubt the primary factor.

The Cats
February 26th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Chatty offered cost-plus X.
Frisco offered cost-plus Y.

Y > X.

Game over.

Why don't you then put $ amounts to the X & Y ?????

Until you can do that.... it's pure speculation.....and you don't know that Y>X . xnonox

danefan
February 26th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Why don't you then put $ amounts to the X & Y ?????

Until you can do that.... it's pure speculation.....and you don't know that Y>X . xnonox

We'll never be able to do that. It will never become public info.

Feel free to disagree with me, but that's the way the NCAA works. Evidence of this can be seen in the bids for home playoff games. Outside of the 4 seeded games, if the facilities are sufficient (very low standard) there is only 1 consideration - $.

There's no reason to think this decision was made any other way.

The Cats
February 26th, 2010, 04:35 PM
There's no reason to think this decision was made any other way.

You still only offer speculation.

Your speculation could be correct.... but IF the bids were close, the NCAA could have just felt that it was time to rotate. I do not believe that Chattanooga would have been outbid by much - they really wanted to keep the game and knew that money does talk. xchinscratchx

danefan
February 26th, 2010, 04:39 PM

Your speculation could be correct.... but IF the bids were close, the NCAA could have just felt that it was time to rotate. I do not believe that Chattanooga would have been outbid by much - they really wanted to keep the game and knew that money does talk. xchinscratchx
Your theory suggests that Chatty new what Frisco's $$$ bid was.

eaglesrthe1
February 26th, 2010, 05:49 PM

Why wouldn't the decision be made that way? The NCAA would be derelict in their duty if it wasn't. Surely other factors come into play, but all other things being equal, money would be the deciding factor.

Tailbone
February 26th, 2010, 05:49 PM
If it was all about money.....why isn't the game in Missoula?

Pitbull
February 26th, 2010, 06:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnrb8HnQvfUxlolx

http://twentydollars.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/jerrymaguiremoney.jpeg

eaglesrthe1
February 26th, 2010, 06:22 PM
If it was all about money.....why isn't the game in Missoula?

Be cause Montanna isn't in it every year, and if they wasn't it would be a financial disaster. So.. it's still about the money.

danefan
February 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Be cause Montanna isn't in it every year, and if they wasn't it would be a financial disaster. So.. it's still about the money.
Not to mention the cost of getting two eastern teams to Missoula.

Tailbone
February 26th, 2010, 07:35 PM

Awwww, C'mon.

If the game were in Missoula, there'd be a 100% chance of 20,000 plus butts in seats every other year (or so) and when the Griz weren't participants there'd be maybe 15,000 (or so), cause as everyone knows - ""there ain't nuthin' else to do in Montana"....

Big Sky airlines (and its fleet of 3 cessnas) could do the same thing as Southwest airlines and fly in teams and bignataries.....

As for the fans with the 500 tickets available to the public - well,
BigSky Air probably wouldn't have any "deals" but I'm sure we Griz fans would be willing to chip in for gas.

TexasTerror
February 26th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Some of the remarks on the Chattanooga Facebook group...

"So should we hope for great teams in the cotton bowl? and the cowboys to have a home playoff game?"

"A sad day in Chattanooga. Thirteen? years and now it's gone. Sorry for the city, fans, and businesses like you."

"I hate to see the game go. Good luck Frisco. I hope we will be bidding to get it back in three years.....or sooner it they choke."

danefan
February 26th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Some of the remarks on the Chattanooga Facebook group...

"So should we hope for great teams in the cotton bowl? and the cowboys to have a home playoff game?"

"A sad day in Chattanooga. Thirteen? years and now it's gone. Sorry for the city, fans, and businesses like you."

"I hate to see the game go. Good luck Frisco. I hope we will be bidding to get it back in three years.....or sooner it they choke."

Is it naive to think that some of the Chatty locals that liked the game so much will continue to follow it and make the trip to Frisco?

DFW HOYA
February 26th, 2010, 07:56 PM
The game should be rotated anyway. Chattanooga, Frisco, Portland, and Atlantic City...

And yes, they've played 100 yard football indoors at the old Convention Center... xlolx

But here's a problem addressed earlier:

Dec. 31: Armed Forces Bowl--Ft. Worth
Jan. 1: Dallas Bowl --Cotton Bowl
Jan. 5: Cotton Bowl--Jerry World
Jan. 7: NCAA Division I Championship Game --Frisco

Will the local fans support a fourth college game within a week?

utcfan
February 26th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Chattanooga guaranteed $300,000.

10-11,000 locals showed up on a crappy night--the "fans" for the contestants were no-shows. Plenty of local support...bad pairing.

App. State makes it there and it SRO.

Guess we'll see how Frisco does if they get two low drawing teams in the championship.

danefan
February 26th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Chattanooga guaranteed $300,000.

10-11,000 locals showed up on a crappy night--the "fans" for the contestants were no-shows. Plenty of local support...bad pairing.

App. State makes it there and it SRO.

Guess we'll see how Frisco does if they get two low drawing teams in the championship.

I don't think that's really a fair statement. A lot of those "locals" were really Montana fans that bought their tickets from what Chatty likes to call locals (aka App State fans).

Villanova on the other hand.....didn't show up. But they don't really "show up" to home games, so.....

*"show up" used as a relative term of course. :)

bluehenbillk
February 26th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Guys the answer is corporate sponsorship. I told you before Xmas that it was pretty much a done deal.

I don't know in the end how it played out but I was told in Dec that they were close to inking SW Airlines as the games title sponsor that alone would guarantee more $ than a Chatty sellout would BEFORE Frisco sold one ticket. Was also told if SW didn't close they had a combo of other local, but yet "national" sponsors lined up as a Plan B.

Think about it, this was decided a long time ago, look how short the time was from presentations to a decision. That's like a jury bringing in a guilty verdict in 10 minutes of deliberations.

danefan
February 26th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Guys the answer is corporate sponsorship. I told you before Xmas that it was pretty much a done deal.

I don't know in the end how it played out but I was told in Dec that they were close to inking SW Airlines as the games title sponsor that alone would guarantee more $ than a Chatty sellout would BEFORE Frisco sold one ticket. Was also told if SW didn't close they had a combo of other local, but yet "national" sponsors lined up as a Plan B.

Think about it, this was decided a long time ago, look how short the time was from presentations to a decision. That's like a jury bringing in a guilty verdict in 10 minutes of deliberations.

xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx
$$$$$$$

bpcats
February 27th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I think that two things held Montana had two things hold them back from getting the deal was that first they were not able to put a bid for the full three years just the first one which I think is too bad.

2nd - UM would have had to upgrade some of their facilities ie visitors locker room etc which they haven't done yet.

Fan support would never be a problem at that stadium. Hopefully in the future they can host it.

As far a Chatanooga losing the bid from all reports, the FCS is losing a site that made the Championship game an event with a lot of local support versus what they are walking into in Frisco Texas.

TexasTerror
February 27th, 2010, 08:07 AM

Yes, that 10k fans only showed up once - this past year. And from what I am told, that is how many purchased tickets, but not the number that showed up...

No consistency in support from the locals.

utcfan
February 27th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Yes, that 10k fans only showed up once - this past year. And from what I am told, that is how many purchased tickets, but not the number that showed up...

No consistency in support from the locals.

I don't see a Montana vs Villanova game in Frisco last year exciting a lot of locals to the game. It will be interesting to see how many "Friscoians" show up at the game shortly after a Cotton Bowl game featuring Big 12 vs SEC, and possibly squezzed in and around Cowboys and Mavricks home games---lot of events fighting for locals $$$$.

As for the NCAA and the "money talks, and blarney walks" issue; Chattanooga does not have a sponsor (or one has not been willing to step up) that can pledge at the level Southwest Airlines. Might be a big money maker for NCAA in front of 8-10,000 fans on ESPN.

chattanoogamocs
February 27th, 2010, 06:59 PM

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Sincerely,
Chattanoogamocs

Bogus Megapardus
February 27th, 2010, 07:53 PM
The game should be rotated anyway. Chattanooga, Frisco, Portland, and Atlantic City...

And yes, they've played 100 yard football indoors at the old Convention Center... xlolx

Indeed - and it was a PL college involved, of course. The world's first indoor football game was played in the Convention Hall in Atlantic City on October 25, 1930, when Lafayette played Washington & Jefferson. Attendance was 17,000 for two out-of-town teams, so maybe this isn't such a bad idea . . . xwhistlex

http://www.accardsharks.com/gallery/20040626/DSC_8872_small.jpg

ngineer
February 27th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I think they want to give a shot to a 'larger urban area' that will have a major transportation hub that might make it easier for people to get to. A lot of places have non-stop flights to Dallas.

89Hen
February 28th, 2010, 09:50 AM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ end of story.

The Cats
February 28th, 2010, 10:27 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ end of story.

Show me the money, then I might agree.

Saint3333
February 28th, 2010, 11:34 AM
You do realize it is called a "bid" for a reason.

bluehenbillk
February 28th, 2010, 12:10 PM
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Sincerely,
Chattanoogamocs

What was it, 24 hrs or less after the presentations were made the decision came out? You ever hear of a pick happening that fast? Only when the pick was made before the presentations.....xviolinx

Col Hogan
February 28th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I also think that no location should be able to keep the championship more than 6-8 years. No exceptions. That way locals will stay interested in what ever city/town it is in.

I doubt the baseball people would agree with your statement...Omaha Nebraska has had the NCAA Baseball Championships since 1950...Locals have keep the interest high, and constantly invested local money into Rosenblatt Stadium...the NCAA recently signed to keep the CWS in Omaha through 2035...

bpcats
March 1st, 2010, 11:02 PM
From what some people on the committee were saying was they just wanted a change to see if it would help the game. They knew what they had in Chattanooga

It had nothing to do with money/sponsorship.

GannonFan
March 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
From what some people on the committee were saying was they just wanted a change to see if it would help the game. They knew what they had in Chattanooga

It had nothing to do with money/sponsorship.

Of course - that comes out sounding better in a press release than saying "we went for the money". Doesn't make it true though.

putter
March 2nd, 2010, 12:47 PM
Enough with the "we'll see if anybody supports the game" in the Dallas area. The Eastern part of the FCS world did not support the game either. Perfect storm of App/GSU and someone else was awesome with a sold out stadium. do you honestly think that Montana fans or UNI fans are shaking their head having to travel to Dallas? No way because we have to fly no matter. Lets see how many true fans we have of the CAA schools now. It was ok to have Montana/UNI/UMass fans have to fly to the game as long as one team could drive but if it was not yours :( - other FCS teams fans were not going anyway so it is a moot point.

GannonFan
March 2nd, 2010, 04:00 PM
Enough with the "we'll see if anybody supports the game" in the Dallas area. The Eastern part of the FCS world did not support the game either. Perfect storm of App/GSU and someone else was awesome with a sold out stadium. do you honestly think that Montana fans or UNI fans are shaking their head having to travel to Dallas? No way because we have to fly no matter. Lets see how many true fans we have of the CAA schools now. It was ok to have Montana/UNI/UMass fans have to fly to the game as long as one team could drive but if it was not yours :( - other FCS teams fans were not going anyway so it is a moot point.

Hey, as a UD fan I wasn't really going to drive 12 hours, one way for the game. I flew to Atlanta and drove the 2 hours from there. Not all of the CAA was within an easy driving distance. xcoffeex

89Hen
March 3rd, 2010, 09:38 AM
Enough with the "we'll see if anybody supports the game" in the Dallas area.
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx We will have to wait and see if anybody supports the game in Frisco.