PDA

View Full Version : 2010 D-I NC Game to Frisco Texas

danefan
February 26th, 2010, 12:58 PM
At least according to the Chatty contingent.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/global/story.asp?s=12047189

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn (WRCB) -- According to the Greater Chattanooga Sports Committee, the title game is going to Frisco, Texas.

TexasTerror
February 26th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Tom Burnett's Twitter (http://twitter.com/tomburnett2)...

Frisco, Texas is the new host site for the NCAA Division I Football Championship Game following the 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons!!!!!!

TexasTerror
February 26th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Southland Conference (http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=204896128) is also reporting it...

INDIANAPOLIS - Frisco, Texas, has been selected as the new host site for the NCAA Division I Football Championship game. Frisco emerged from a pool of several cities that submitted bids to serve as the host site for the championship game for the next three years, beginning with the 2010 season. Hosted by the Southland Conference, the championship game will be played at Pizza Hut Park on Jan. 7, 2011.

danefan
February 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Southland Conference (http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=204896128) is also reporting it...

So they're not moving the date? I thought that was part of the plan.

Maybe as the day gets closer it will change.

TexasTerror
February 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM
And from the looks of it, the SLC release above is from the NCAA web site (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/media+and+events/press+room/news+release+archive/2010/championships/frisco+wins+bid+to+be+host+site+of+the+ncaa+divisi on+i+football+championship)

"We are excited about the opportunity for the football championship game to be played in Frisco," said Damani Leech, NCAA director of baseball and football. "With the quality of bids that were submitted, it was not an easy decision to make. But we feel the right decision and right place to serve as the site for the Division I football championship is indeed Frisco."

MplsBison
February 26th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Good...now all the Chatty lovers can shut up for a while.

Lets just see how the game does in Frisco.

msusig
February 26th, 2010, 01:14 PM

xsmileyclapx Now all that needs to happen is McNeese get to the championship game.

TexasTerror
February 26th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Just rec'd a press release from the SoCon announcing that Frisco had won out...

Very active 30 minutes on the social media network of the Southland Conference. No action just yet on the "Friends of Chattanooga" Facebook group...

MaximumBobcat
February 26th, 2010, 01:25 PM
WOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

kdinva
February 26th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Some basic info from Wikipedia on Pizza Hut Park:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_Hut_Park

If you look at this stadium from above, via Google or Bing maps, a nice looking facility, and surrounding infrastructure. 20,500 seats.

SpeedkingATL
February 26th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Here's hoping that it will be a fun road trip for the Apps next year.xthumbsupx

CrackerRiley
February 26th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Well until I get a real job, I won't be going to a championship game. Only got another year in school though (hopefully xrolleyesx)

slostang
February 26th, 2010, 03:18 PM
It sure is a better choice for the western FCS teams.

CharlestonAppFan
February 26th, 2010, 03:40 PM

Yep, for all of the ones who have made it to the championsh....opps xoopsx :D

Saint3333
February 26th, 2010, 03:41 PM
It is no better choice for the Western teams' fan bases. The fans that would travel to Frisco would have also traveled to Chatt. No one (99% of football fans) outside of the fanbases care about attending this game. Congrats to Frisco. I'll be there if ASU is in it, but I'd be there if it were in Fargo, ND as well.

OL FU
February 26th, 2010, 03:54 PM
California here I come. Right back where I started from.

Good luck to Frisco. xthumbsupx

DSUrocks07
February 26th, 2010, 03:56 PM
They NEED to change the date, that was the biggest problem whether the game was in Chatty or Frisco. Move it to January 1st. xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
February 26th, 2010, 03:59 PM
One thing to realize--Frisco is, way, way out of town and there's not a lot of nightlife that isn't a 15-20 minute drive to get to. At least Chatt had that going for them.

Proud Griz Man
February 26th, 2010, 04:08 PM
They NEED to change the date, that was the biggest problem whether the game was in Chatty or Frisco. Move it to January 1st. xthumbsupx

I'll reserve judgement on the Frisco decision but the NCAA FCS subdivision made Two terrible decisions in expanding the playoffs to 20 teams, and moving the championship game to January.xsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

FargoBison
February 26th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I'll reserve judgement on the Frisco decision but the NCAA FCS subdivision made Two terrible decisions in expanding the playoffs to 20 teams, and moving the championship game to January.xsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

Did the NCAA have a choice? More conferences wanted autobids, so the playoffs had to be expanded and once you did that it was either shorten the season(not possible) or move the game back.

Big Al
February 26th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Count me on the opposite side of the stick. Moving the game back and moving to Frisco are both good things.

Both changes allow more fans both time and finances to make the trip to the NC game. I feel pretty safe in saying if/when UNI gets to the NC game in Frisco, you will see significantly more (double?) UNI fans than were at Chatty in '05.

Proud Griz Man
February 26th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Count me on the opposite side of the stick. Moving the game back and moving to Frisco are both good things.

Both changes allow more fans both time and finances to make the trip to the NC game. I feel pretty safe in saying if/when UNI gets to the NC game in Frisco, you will see significantly more (double?) UNI fans than were at Chatty in '05.

I know Al, you are only looking at this from a FAN's perspective.

Lets say good ole UNI makes it to the chipper. What is the $ cost to run your football program for 2-3 extra weeks?
Your entire football team and coaching staff and equipment managers and doctor and athletic trainers will need to stay at school from mid-December up to gametime, with nil holiday breaktime with their families. xthumbsdownx xsmhx The extra benefit of adding four more teams to the playoffs, will be easily counteracted by the extra cost.

DSUrocks07
February 26th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Lets say good ole UNI makes it to the chipper. What is the $ cost to run your football program for 2-3 extra weeks?
Your entire football team and coaching staff and equipment managers and doctor and athletic trainers will need to stay at school from mid-December up to gametime, with nil holiday breaktime with their families. xthumbsdownx xsmhx The extra benefit of adding four more teams to the playoffs, will be easily counteracted by the extra cost.

IMO it would just be like a Bowl game, except that this one would really mean something...

eaglesrthe1
February 26th, 2010, 05:21 PM
The results will be judged by the attendance.

Period.

McNeese75
February 26th, 2010, 05:27 PM
One thing to realize--Frisco is, way, way out of town and there's not a lot of nightlife that isn't a 15-20 minute drive to get to. At least Chatt had that going for them.

xrolleyesx The only night life I remember in Chatty was at the hotel where the fans made their own party in the bar and lobby.

danefan
February 26th, 2010, 05:31 PM
The results will be judged by the attendance.

Period.

Agreed. Could turn out to be good or bad.

But does Frisco get 12 years before they are judged? xsmiley_wix

MplsBison
February 26th, 2010, 05:50 PM
xrolleyesx The only night life I remember in Chatty was at the hotel where the fans made their own party in the bar and lobby.

Are you there to watch a football game or are you there to drink, anyway?

xlolx I know, I know...

eaglesrthe1
February 26th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Agreed. Could turn out to be good or bad.

But does Frisco get 12 years before they are judged? xsmiley_wix

I hope not, and they shouldn't. The major debate with Frisco vs Chatty (IMO) is that Chatty had the central location whereas Frisco has the amenities/weather.
No matter who the teams in attendance are... it can be taken into account and the attendance will determine if it's been a success or not.

Long story short... if 10 people show up... you won't need ten years to decide if it was a good move of not, and the city of Frisco will know if it's been worth the $$$ that they bid.

For what it's worth, Witchita Tx had the game for 3 years and drew about 11.5K.

msusig
February 26th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I think it will help attendance that the game is in/near a larger city. They need to move the championship at least every 6-8 years. It would keep the locals interested and they wouldn't take it for granted. I vote for New Orleans, Memphis, or somewhere in Florida next time around.

McNeese75
February 26th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Are you there to watch a football game or are you there to drink, anyway?

xlolx I know, I know...

xsmiley_wix You need to come tailgate with us and then ask that question :D

Wildcat80
February 26th, 2010, 10:47 PM
53/31. Avg Hi & Lo Temps in Frisco a few degrees WARMER than Chatty. Okay with me. Now Win out UNH!!

MaximumBobcat
February 26th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I think it will help attendance that the game is in/near a larger city. They need to move the championship at least every 6-8 years. It would keep the locals interested and they wouldn't take it for granted. I vote for New Orleans, Memphis, or somewhere in Florida next time around.

Agreed about the future locations, especially Florida. A 5-6 year deal sounds good to me. Nooga had it too long for my tastes.

CopperCat
February 27th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Well, it's not exactly the most central location but it's a helluva lot easier to get to than Nooga (for teams other than the east coasters, cry all you want). Hopefully some teams will come out of the west and draw some bigger crowds in the coming years. Great chance for the texas teams to get a homecrowd advantage if they can get to the big game! Maybe not the best location for pre-game festivities, but it could be alot worse. Who knows, maybe the local area will get up for it.

Big Al
February 27th, 2010, 02:26 AM

I know. Crazy, huh?

The team staff should almost all be on salary, so there would be no extra costs there. I guess there would be per diem costs for the athletes, but that's about of the incremental costs I can think of.

Besides, I'm pretty sure preparing for a NC game would be something they all (staff & students) would look forward to.

Moving the game so a)fans can get easier access and b)have time to make travel arrangements is a pretty huge deal, if you ask me. The NCAA should be commended for taking action to hopefully promote the increased success of the FCS NC game.

EastCoast
February 27th, 2010, 03:25 AM
This is a from a prior article on the subject:

"Montana athletics director Jim O’Day is a member of the championship committee and opposed changing the current 16-team format, “When we assessed it from our point of view at the University of Montana, we figured it was going to cost us another $100,000 to keep the kids here over Christmas. The dorms are closed, the dining services at the university are closed, so we’ll have to be living off campus and eating off campus.”

WyomingGrizFan
February 27th, 2010, 04:51 AM
it's a helluva lot easier to get to than Nooga ...Maybe not the best location for pre-game festivities, but it could be alot worse.

How the Hell would a Montana State University Bobcat know about Chattanooga!!!???? You don't get no credit by hiding in the trunk crossing the border unbeknowst you know.

Tribe4SF
February 27th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Players will most likely go home for Christmas. There's three weeks from the semifinal to the championship game.

WMTribe90
February 27th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I'm guessing at least half the players at most schools live in off-campus housing, so the schools won't be buying hotel rooms for them. Worst case, if the dorms close, the off campus players could house their teammates for a week.

TheValleyRaider
February 27th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Well, tough for Chattanooga to lose it. I enjoyed my one trip to Chatty (minus the game, though), and it was a nice stadium that made a real effort to put on a good show

I am excited for Frisco. DFW is a great area, and with it being fairly local, I just might show up in the next year or two

Syntax Error
February 27th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Congratulations Frisco and Pizza Hut Park on winning the bid. I look forward to continuing my attendance at the D-I Football Championship game, this time in Frisco. xsmileyclapx I liked it all the years in Chatty and I'm sure I will like it in Frisco. xnodx

whoanellie
February 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Pizza Hut & Dr Pepper win out over Crystal Burgers & Coke!!!!

eaglesrthe1
February 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Obviously not from the south. That would be Krystal.

CopperCat
February 28th, 2010, 01:48 AM
How the Hell would a Montana State University Bobcat know about Chattanooga!!!???? You don't get no credit by hiding in the trunk crossing the border unbeknowst you know.

I have traveled much more than you would ever know. Hell, I'm on the east coast now, and I will be taking a commercial flight home not too far from Nooga (after doing missions in and out of Haiti/Cuba). I know enough to know that DFW is a helluva lot easier to get into than Nooga (I've been there four times in the past three months). Here comes the STFU bus, and you have a ticket!

89Hen
February 28th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Bad things come in threes, so what did you expect. xthumbsdownx

89Hen
February 28th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Teams? You mean team. xcoffeex

Gil Dobie
February 28th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I don't mind seeing the Championship game move around. Give it more exposure to other parts of the country.

Suck it ECB xsmiley_wix

LacesOut
February 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I don't mind seeing the Championship game move around. Give it more exposure to other parts of the country.

Suck it ECB xsmiley_wix

This!!

Congrats Frisco!

Change can be good sometimes.

appsfan
February 28th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Personally, I would prefer Chattanooga (for selfish reasons) and they have done a good job over the years. Now that the decision has been made to move it to Frisco, I do hope that things work out well and the game is a huge success.

Rekdiver
March 1st, 2010, 08:23 AM
Chatty was terrible. We made our own parties and the bars were too crowded and service was crappy, a 6 hr drive and $100 in gas from Charlotte or a $600 plane flight.

$260 round trip to Dallas from Charlotte.....

I am glad for a change........

89Hen
March 1st, 2010, 10:13 AM
$100 in gas from Charlotte or a $600 plane flight.

$260 round trip to Dallas from Charlotte.....
You walking to/from both airports?

AppChicago
March 1st, 2010, 10:16 AM
You walking to/from both airports?

Parking at CLT is a steal. DFW to Frisco may be a different story...

MplsBison
March 1st, 2010, 11:40 AM
Hey guys, just real quick here: Chatty lost.

It's done.

There is no more arguing about the merits of which host is the better choice.

Saint3333
March 1st, 2010, 12:49 PM
Hey guys, just real quick here: Chatty lost.

It's done.

There is no more arguing about the merits of which host is the better choice.

You expect us to believe you wouldn't be writing similar posts if Nooga had won...xbangx

biggie
March 1st, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hey guys, just real quick here: Most FCS fans lost.

It's done.
Fixed.

MplsBison
March 1st, 2010, 03:09 PM
You expect us to believe you wouldn't be writing similar posts if Nooga had won...xbangx

No I wouldn't, it's sour grapes.

Saint3333
March 1st, 2010, 08:12 PM
Seriously? It's not a lie if you believe it I guess.

KiddBrewer
March 2nd, 2010, 07:26 AM
atleast with it being moved back to early january, ill be able to get my drug deals and bank robberies planned out after the semis so i will be able to afford to get out there to see the game by january 7th....xcoolx

KiddBrewer
March 2nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
jk^^^;)

CrackerRiley
March 2nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
atleast with it being moved back to early january, ill be able to get my drug deals and bank robberies planned out after the semis so i will be able to afford to get out there to see the game by january 7th....xcoolx

Takes you more than a week?! That's the only way I could afford to make it to the games so I finished my dealings within a week. xcoolx

SpeedkingATL
March 2nd, 2010, 12:30 PM
For the alumni of any participating FCS university that live in the Atlanta area, with a couple of weeks to plan, airline tix can usually be had to Dallas in the $69 price range each way. Not as easy as the 90 minute drive to Chatty, but pretty affordable. I would expect there are similar deals from Charlotte as well. As I said before the Dallas area isn't a bad place to spend a weekend in January either.xtwocentsx

TexasTerror
August 1st, 2010, 07:22 PM
For anyone interested, here is a copy of the video presentation that Frisco made to the NCAA...

http://vimeo.com/9886575

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2010, 07:48 PM
Southland Conference Commissioner Tom Burnett talks preparations for the Division I national championship game...

http://www.southland.org/newMediaPlayer/sl/console.htm?oemid=18400&type=vod&id=729394