PDA

View Full Version : Bill to Force Maryland v Towson, Morgan St

TexasTerror
February 25th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Word is that this bill will not pass...

If Maryland has shown a willingness to schedule the teams regularly, I do not see the issue. I do not think the Terps need to have either one on the schedule yearly, but once every few years - that's a good deal. Don't force it, unless it's not happening at all.

A proposed bill that would force the University of Maryland play both Towson University and Morgan State University in football at least once every four years will most likely not pass, following a hearing in front of the state appropriations committee. State delegate Jay Walker (D), author of the Maryland Football Act, is not optimistic about its fate.

“I think Maryland would like to say ‘Hey, let us do this on our own,’” Walker, a former NFL quarterback and Howard University star, said. “With Morgan State playing Maryland next year and Towson playing Maryland the following year, we want to ensure that it doesn’t happen once in a lifetime.”

http://www.thetowerlight.com/maryland-football-act-unlikely-to-pass-1.2168666

Ivytalk
February 25th, 2010, 09:23 AM
One of the stupidest bills I've ever heard of.xrolleyesx

49RFootballNow
February 25th, 2010, 11:59 AM
They should have done what ECU had the eastern NC legislator's do. Hold up spending bills in committees till the Holes and Wofies agreed to play on a regular basis. No need for a bill that has to pass the whole legislature, just a few well placed politicans could have forced this.

TexasTerror
February 25th, 2010, 12:35 PM

There are other bills like it across the country, so while you say it is stupid (and it very well could be), there is precedent for similar action across the land...

MplsBison
February 25th, 2010, 01:51 PM

If the people demand something and the market won't give it to them, it's up to the government to force the market.

WestCoastAggie
February 25th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Most of MEAC agree that this is a silly bill.

rcny46
February 25th, 2010, 08:02 PM
If the people demand something and the market won't give it to them, it's up to the government to force the market.

That's an obscene notion.Do these people (the politicos) have to insinuate themselves into every facet of our respective lives? This sort of thing really gets under my skin.

MplsBison
February 25th, 2010, 08:13 PM
That's an obscene notion.Do these people (the politicos) have to insinuate themselves into every facet of our respective lives? This sort of thing really gets under my skin.

You can have that opinion, just as long as I get to have my opinion that the government should be an active participant in my everyday life.

DSUrocks07
February 25th, 2010, 10:43 PM
You can have that opinion, just as long as I get to have my opinion that the government should be an active participant in my everyday life.

xthumbsdownx

JBB
February 26th, 2010, 11:01 AM
There are other bills like it across the country, so while you say it is stupid (and it very well could be), there is precedent for similar action across the land...

I guess if one fool jumps in the lake others are sure to follow. These bills are normally attempts by a struggling program to get something they need. It happened in North Dakota last year and the Grand Forks legislators that sponsored it were soundly turned away in failure.

andy7171
February 26th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Well the Twerps are playing the Bears next year and Tigers in 2011. So they are good for another 5 years?

henfan
February 26th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I suppose the fact that these are state sponsored institutions of higher learning has been lost on some people. If the schools don't want the state involved in their daily business, they should politely decline all public funding.

danefan
February 26th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Easy concept (as Henfan points out).

The state gives Maryland money for their football program, a portion of which gets paid to an FCS team for a guarantee game.

The state wants to give Towson and Morgan State (other teams supported by state money) the right of first refusal to play the Terps.

The state pays the money. The state can decide if it wants to keep it in the Maryland system.

Seems simple to me.

DFW HOYA
February 26th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Just those two? If UMES or UMBC got a team, would they be included too?

danefan
February 26th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Just those two? If UMES or UMBC got a team, would they be included too?

That's the way other states with similar laws work. The state supported FBS teams must give the state-sponsored FCS teams the right of first refusal.

bkrownd
February 26th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Politicians should be constitutionally banned from getting involved in athletics like this.

danefan
February 26th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Politicians should be constitutionally banned from getting involved in athletics like this.

Again I ask why?

They aren't getting involved in athletics. They are getting involved in the financial prudence of their state supported univerisities.

Take athletics out of it and consider this example.

Univ. Maryland decides it wants to buy widgets. Company X (a Delaware company) makes widgets and charges $1 a widget. The State of Maryland also makes widgets and sells them for $1 a widget. U.Maryland will buy the widgets using money provided to it by the State of Maryland.

Should the State of Maryland not be able to say that the University of Maryland should have to buy widgets from the State of Maryland for the same price if they are available?

downbythebeach
February 27th, 2010, 06:14 AM
They should do this in Pennsylvania with PSU, Temple, and Pitt with all the private FCS schools, if the FSC unis agree to it.

PSU and all those "quasi-public/private" free loader are constantly complaining about needing more cash

I would definately support thisxhurrayx

LBPop
February 27th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I am trying to wrap my head around this. If I understand the story, Maryland has now agreed on its own to schedule Towson and Morgan State. So now a legislator has decided that the government needs to step in. Doesn't this achieve the status of refusing to take yes for an answer?

I am a Maryland resident and a U of MD Alumnus. While I think it's a nice idea and I applaud the schools for working it out, I would vote against the legislation if it were put to a referendum. I would rather this elected official of my state spend his time on much more important issues--maybe he could work on making the state flag easier for grade school kids to draw. What a pain that was in 5th grade. xrolleyesxxnodx

WestCoastAggie
February 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I am trying to wrap my head around this. If I understand the story, Maryland has now agreed on its own to schedule Towson and Morgan State. So now a legislator has decided that the government needs to step in. Doesn't this achieve the status of refusing to take yes for an answer?

I am a Maryland resident and a U of MD Alumnus. While I think it's a nice idea and I applaud the schools for working it out, I would vote against the legislation if it were put to a referendum. I would rather this elected official of my state spend his time on much more important issues--maybe he could work on making the state flag easier for grade school kids to draw. What a pain that was in 5th grade. xrolleyesxxnodx

The Legislation was put forward by State Lawmaker Jay "Sky"Walker (Former Howard QB and current ESPN Commentator) before the game was made and contract written out.

I guess the game MD had with JMU ruffled some feathers and thus this happened.

MplsBison
February 27th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Again I ask why?

They aren't getting involved in athletics. They are getting involved in the financial prudence of their state supported univerisities.

Take athletics out of it and consider this example.

Univ. Maryland decides it wants to buy widgets. Company X (a Delaware company) makes widgets and charges $1 a widget. The State of Maryland also makes widgets and sells them for $1 a widget. U.Maryland will buy the widgets using money provided to it by the State of Maryland.

Should the State of Maryland not be able to say that the University of Maryland should have to buy widgets from the State of Maryland for the same price if they are available?

I also can't comprehend the auto-backlash when any politician proposes legislation involving athletics. Comments like "don't they have more important things to do" are guaranteed.

As if sports are the last bastion of hope for the anti-government freaks to be left out of the government's reach? xcoffeex

89Hen
February 28th, 2010, 09:53 AM
The state gives Maryland money for their football program, a portion of which gets paid to an FCS team for a guarantee game.
Not true.

The cost for Phase One of the expansion will be $50.8 million, to be paid entirely by Maryland Athletics.

http://www.umterps.com/genrel/042407aab.html

danefan
February 28th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Not true.

http://www.umterps.com/genrel/042407aab.html

My apologies....it appears that the Maryland Athletic Dept. receives no state funding.

If that's the case then I think this bill is out of place.

henfan
February 28th, 2010, 09:41 PM
My apologies....it appears that the Maryland Athletic Dept. receives no state funding.

State University X receives no state funding for athletics. Yeaaaaah, riiiight. Watch the ball under the shell...

State U directs hundreds of thousands, if not million$, each year to athletics in the form of institutional support and then turns around and kindly accepts million$ in grants from taxpayers for pursuits that could have been covered by some of the same money they diverted to athletics. And we don't even need to mention the lands State School U was granted (tax free!) by the state to construct its athletic facilities.

Hey, more power to 'em. Honestly. I just don't want to hearing bxtching and whining from State U and its supporters when a perfectly reasonable suggestion designed to keep guarantee money in state is requested.