PDA

View Full Version : Fordham's Coffey Field

Pard4Life
December 31st, 2005, 08:51 PM
I was at Fordham today for the Lafayette basketball game and I was quite impressed with the football field. The stadium gates were open, so I walked around, and you could see the field from the street. I had trouble imagining it, but the entire field is covered with FieldTurf, even the baseball field, which looks sharp itself. The football field looks multipurpose for soccer and it is quite sleek and crisp. I remember barely being able to see the yard markers and numbers on the grass field always, but these were quite clear this time. The field is surrounded by a new black fence and there is an entirely new baseball complex. The field would look stellar with lights... but who is going to go to a night game in Bronx.. unless it's the Yankees? Visitors who were last at Fordham in 2004 will be impressed.

Also, a new parking garadge was under construction. That should no doubt ease the parking pains.. but perhaps not... I was pretty mad when the gate guardian told it was $8 to park in the lot... I'm sorry but that's crimminal.. and makes that gardage worthless. I just parked on the street... for FREE. It's $10 at the Meadowlands.. a pro-sports venue!

Speaking of prices, how much did it cost to put in the FieldTurf? It's a good sign that football and sports are a priority over there... despite what some of the pessimistic Fordham people say.

With that new Turf making the stadium look pretty sharp, plus the excellent location and nice campus, should make Fordham a good football sell. The new coach should help too. But from what I've seen and heard, their facilities, like lockers and meeting rooms, need improvement.

ngineer
December 31st, 2005, 09:31 PM
I was at Fordham today for the Lafayette basketball game and I was quite impressed with the football field. The stadium gates were open, so I walked around, and you could see the field from the street. I had trouble imagining it, but the entire field is covered with FieldTurf, even the baseball field, which looks sharp itself. The football field looks multipurpose for soccer and it is quite sleek and crisp. I remember barely being able to see the yard markers and numbers on the grass field always, but these were quite clear this time. The field is surrounded by a new black fence and there is an entirely new baseball complex. The field would look stellar with lights... but who is going to go to a night game in Bronx.. unless it's the Yankees? Visitors who were last at Fordham in 2004 will be impressed.

Also, a new parking garadge was under construction. That should no doubt ease the parking pains.. but perhaps not... I was pretty mad when the gate guardian told it was $8 to park in the lot... I'm sorry but that's crimminal.. and makes that gardage worthless. I just parked on the street... for FREE. It's $10 at the Meadowlands.. a pro-sports venue!

Speaking of prices, how much did it cost to put in the FieldTurf? It's a good sign that football and sports are a priority over there... despite what some of the pessimistic Fordham people say.

With that new Turf making the stadium look pretty sharp, plus the excellent location and nice campus, should make Fordham a good football sell. The new coach should help too. But from what I've seen and heard, their facilities, like lockers and meeting rooms, need improvement.

I was there this year for Lehigh's game and was greatly impressed with the improvements. I had been there in '02 for the famous OT win on the 48 yard fg, and the field conditions, then, were horrendous. It would be 'nice' to have a visitors stand, but I found the accomodations fine.

DFW HOYA
December 31st, 2005, 09:50 PM
With these upgrades, how do you rank the overall PL facilities? Here's a list to start.

1. Goodman Stadium/Lehigh
2. Fitton Field/Holy Cross
T3. Christy Mathewson Memorial Stadium/Bucknell
T3. Andy Kerr Stadium/Colgate
5. Fisher Field/Lafayette
T6. Jack Coffey Field/Fordham
T6. Multi Sport Field, pre-construction/Georgetown

JoltinJoe
December 31st, 2005, 10:01 PM
The Coffey Field upgrades cost $4.3 million. That includes the improvements to the baseball field. There are lights on Coffey now too. The Columbia game was under the lights last September, and drew a near capacity crowd.

As for $8 for parking, comments noted. A continuing gripe among the Fordham faithful.

ngineer
December 31st, 2005, 10:06 PM
With these upgrades, how do you rank the PL facilities?

In terms of game facilities, I'd rank as follows:
1. Lehigh
2. Colgate
3. Holy Cross
4. Bucknell
5. Fordham
6. Lafayette
7. Georgetown

In terms of full football facilities (i.e. practice fields, locker rooms, training facilities, etc.) it's hard to compare without having visited all schools' behind the scenes facilities. While Lafayette's stadium is in great need of renovation, it has beautiful new field house with training facilities and nice practice fields.
Holy Cross has a neat stadium, but I know nothing of their locker/practice facilities.

Goodspeed
January 1st, 2006, 06:09 AM
IMO:

1.Goodman/Truely the best place to watch a game in the fall. Especially when ther's a big crowd for an important game.
2.Bucknell /Just a great stadium. Nice turf. Close seating. Too bad they don't draw a better home crowd.
3.Gate /Nice stadium. Just too cold when LU plays there. Might be nice in early September.
4.Holy Cross/Nice stadium. Parking is terrible. Last time LU played there. a very small home crowd. More LU supporters than HC fans.
5.Fordham/Great new turf. Historical buildings in the background. No fan support. I agree about the visitors side seating. Don't know where they'd fit it at this time.
5.Georgetown/I really like the visitor's seating. Hope they can get their funding to finish the project.
6.Lafayette/Tired of splinters and nails in my butt along with the smell of urine from the portables by the visiters stands.

Fordham
January 1st, 2006, 01:48 PM
Pard - glad to hear you liked the upgrades. I am one of those that still launches a complaint or two in the direction of our administration over the fact that most high school fields have visitor bleachers but overall the improvements have been nice.

Joe mentioned it but the Columbia game this year was under the lights and was just a fantastic experience. Keating Hall, our signature building, looms over the stadium and was lit up nicely and it was a packed stadium ... both of which made for an oustanding opening game experience on the new turf despite the game's result. I really hope that more night games are on tap for the next few years. Also, fyi, the Bronx is part of the NYC, which is the safest big city in America now. I realize your comment was likely more tongue in cheek but, if not, Fordham's location is great for incredible dining in Little Italy and rests next to the formerly owned land that houses the Bronx Zoo and NY Botanical Gardens. Even at night.

Also, as Joe mentioned, parking is noted.

Thanks again for the post.

IMO:
5.Fordham/Great new turf. Historical buildings in the background. No fan support. I agree about the visitors side seating. Don't know where they'd fit it at this time.

Goodman - I have no problem with the #5 ranking but what's the basis for your "no fan support" comment?

JohnG
January 1st, 2006, 02:50 PM
I have yet to go to Holy Cross and Georgetown (although I plan on going this year). Of the 5 stadiums I have been to I would rank them as follows:
1. Lehigh - plenty of seating, concessions, and facilities on both the home and away sides as well as lots of parking.
2. Bucknell - I enjoyed the seats, nice field, my only gripe with their stadium is that there isnt a covered concourse which meant I was stuck standing in the rain during half time too.
3. Fordham - Nice field, convenient restrooms and concession stands.
4. Colgate - If I sat on the colgate side this would probably be ranked #2 but from a visiting fans perspective the stands were small and their was no access to concession stands on the visiting side. But like I said an absolutely beautiful home side.
5. Lafayette - Crummy seats that are falling apart, portable restrooms, not enough concession stands.

BTW: Regarding the Fordham parking issue, $8 to park in NYC doesnt seem too unreasonable to me.

Fordham
January 1st, 2006, 03:13 PM
BTW: Regarding the Fordham parking issue, $8 to park in NYC doesnt seem too unreasonable to me.

I think the biggest knock is that it's not like the campus is located in midtown (granted, that would run you around $50+) - it's The Bronx. It just seems that it shouldn't be THAT high.

carney2
January 1st, 2006, 04:19 PM
IMO:

1.Goodman/Truely the best place to watch a game in the fall. Especially when ther's a big crowd for an important game.
2.Bucknell /Just a great stadium. Nice turf. Close seating. Too bad they don't draw a better home crowd.
3.Gate /Nice stadium. Just too cold when LU plays there. Might be nice in early September.
4.Holy Cross/Nice stadium. Parking is terrible. Last time LU played there. a very small home crowd. More LU supporters than HC fans.
5.Georgetown/I really like the visitor's seating. Hope they can get their funding to finish the project.
6.Lafayette/Tired of splinters and nails in my butt along with the smell of urine from the portables by the visiters stands.

Amen! An open plea to Dan Weiss, Bruce McCutcheon, et al: get off your collective duffs and get something done.

Oh yeah, a one-sided field is for high schools. Forget that crap.

Fordham
January 1st, 2006, 06:06 PM
Oh yeah, a one-sided field is for high schools. Forget that crap.
Agreed. Pretty amazing, though, that everyone so far has rated a one sided field above the Pards stadium.

Does that mean that your field is more fit for mini-football or just band competitions?

carney2
January 1st, 2006, 06:31 PM
Agreed. Pretty amazing, though, that everyone so far has rated a one sided field above the Pards stadium.

Does that mean that your field is more fit for mini-football or just band competitions?

It is generally agreed that Fisher Field is barely fit for human occupancy.

Fordham
January 1st, 2006, 06:34 PM
I thought the upgrades/renovations had been approved, no? if so, when will they take place? if not ... sorry

JoltinJoe
January 1st, 2006, 07:59 PM
Joe mentioned it but the Columbia game this year was under the lights and was just a fantastic experience. Keating Hall, our signature building, looms over the stadium and was lit up nicely and it was a packed stadium ... both of which made for an oustanding opening game experience on the new turf despite the game's result. I really hope that more night games are on tap for the next few years. Also, fyi, the Bronx is part of the NYC, which is the safest big city in America now. I realize your comment was likely more tongue in cheek but, if not, Fordham's location is great for incredible dining in Little Italy and rests next to the formerly owned land that houses the Bronx Zoo and NY Botanical Gardens. Even at night.

I'd like to see a few more of our September and October home games under the lights on Saturday night. Our PL visitors could take advantage of the night game to take their young families to the Bronx Zoo or the Botanical Gardens in the afternoon.

After the basketball game yesterday, I took my 3 1/2 year old to the Botanical Gardens, and he had a blast running around on the grounds as the snow fell. Then, when he was getting cold, we ducked into the conservatory for the Holiday Train Show. He had even more fun following the miniature trains around. But the point is there is a lot for a young family to do in direct proximity to our campus.

For those who like a great Italian meal before or after the game, the best Italian restaurants in New York are just a few minute walk from campus, as FORDHAM notes above.

carney2
January 1st, 2006, 09:35 PM
I thought the upgrades/renovations had been approved, no? if so, when will they take place? if not ... sorry

There's been so much floating around that I don't know what to believe anymore. Last season (2004) the official football family was convinced that a renovation of approximately $20 million would be announced the week of the Lehigh Game. Nothing. Then we heard rumors of this one sided field at a slightly reduced total in the $15 million range. Still nothing. Now, in a recent post at this site, a Pard faithful mentioned that there will be lights before the 2006 home opener vs. Penn. To the best of my knowledge nothing (that word again) official has been announced and all of it still amounts to a hill of rumor.

As to when, well soon we hope. We are all tired of splinters and nails in the duff, and the toilets haven't seen a Roto-Rooter guy since the Hoover administration. As at most stadiums, people step on the seats to get in and out. That situation is getting dangerous and someone could get seriously injured. Perhaps that's what these guys need - a multi-million dollar lawsuit - to get them off dead center.

Pard4Life
January 1st, 2006, 09:43 PM
I'd like to see a few more of our September and October home games under the lights on Saturday night. Our PL visitors could take advantage of the night game to take their young families to the Bronx Zoo or the Botanical Gardens in the afternoon.

After the basketball game yesterday, I took my 3 1/2 year old to the Botanical Gardens, and he had a blast running around on the grounds as the snow fell. Then, when he was getting cold, we ducked into the conservatory for the Holiday Train Show. He had even more fun following the miniature trains around. But the point is there is a lot for a young family to do in direct proximity to our campus.

For those who like a great Italian meal before or after the game, the best Italian restaurants in New York are just a few minute walk from campus, as FORDHAM notes above.

I did not realize there were lights there... too busy studying the field and freezing.. but that sounds impressive. Interesting you say that safety is not much of a concern. I've heard the campus is gated and students don't venture out much.. and that the Bronx is quite bad, with the only nice area being around Manhattan College. But then again my intelligence comes from my older parents, who still won't go to NYC because they don't believe me that Times Square is Disney World, not 1960s/1970s sleaze hole.

That could be a good marketing angle... visit the gardens, zoo daytime, dinner in Little Italy.. and a Fordham football game at night. I too saw the train show ad on the way out and felt bad I didn't catch it earlier :(

Regarding prices for parking, it shouldn't be that high for a college campus. I think the Gardens' parking was only $5.. and the train station down the street was like $3. Bad enough the bridge is $6.. you have to pay $8 to park... and then $15 for a ticket. With a family that adds up and makes it less attractive. It should be FREE, or as high as $3 (unadvertised so you don't get non-fans parking).

In terms of PL facilities I'm surprised Bucknell is that highly regarded. The underbelly of Matthewson Stadium is prety dishevled. I haven't been in the locker rooms, but from the areas I was in, it was pretty crammed and looked rather old. And you could easily hear the opposing locker rooms.. but I guess that's a good thing.

And yeah Fisher is going to be upgraded... Athletics people have mentioned it.. but securing the final funding is the key. When is just the question now. Once it's complete, you people will be ranking us up there with Lehigh in terms of gameday facilities.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 1st, 2006, 10:20 PM
There's been so much floating around that I don't know what to believe anymore. Last season (2004) the official football family was convinced that a renovation of approximately $20 million would be announced the week of the Lehigh Game. Nothing. Then we heard rumors of this one sided field at a slightly reduced total in the $15 million range. Still nothing. Now, in a recent post at this site, a Pard faithful mentioned that there will be lights before the 2006 home opener vs. Penn. To the best of my knowledge nothing (that word again) official has been announced and all of it still amounts to a hill of rumor.

As to when, well soon we hope. We are all tired of splinters and nails in the duff, and the toilets haven't seen a Roto-Rooter guy since the Hoover administration. As at most stadiums, people step on the seats to get in and out. That situation is getting dangerous and someone could get seriously injured. Perhaps that's what these guys need - a multi-million dollar lawsuit - to get them off dead center.

It's incredibly difficult not to get angry when you've sat in the splinters (or the old press box, BTW) and then go into the brand-spankin' new Kirby Field House adjacent to the field for a postgame interview. No money for football renovations, but when it comes to basketball $$$... :rolleyes:

Lafayette aren't get a very good home draw, especially considering the success the last two years of the program. I just think what just a little better effort might do for visiting fans and building a better fan community in Easton. Indirectly it hurts the PL as well, since the only way they're getting a home playoff game is with a seeding.

I sometimes wonder if zoning/construction rules are a problem. Fisher is about as wheelchair-unfriendly as you can get.

Pard4Life
January 1st, 2006, 10:34 PM
It's incredibly difficult not to get angry when you've sat in the splinters (or the old press box, BTW) and then go into the brand-spankin' new Kirby Field House adjacent to the field for a postgame interview. No money for football renovations, but when it comes to basketball $$$... :rolleyes:

Lafayette aren't get a very good home draw, especially considering the success the last two years of the program. I just think what just a little better effort might do for visiting fans and building a better fan community in Easton. Indirectly it hurts the PL as well, since the only way they're getting a home playoff game is with a seeding.

I sometimes wonder if zoning/construction rules are a problem. Fisher is about as wheelchair-unfriendly as you can get.

Amen, I'm glad a Lehigh person even sees the light on this subject. I sprained my ankle for a day walking on a bleacher and it gave way. Weiss sits on those same splinters so hopefully he understands (but then he started stading on the field for games.. hmm wonder why). And yeah, the press-box is insane. Talk about a fire-hazard. It's nearly impossible as it is to have one person move back and forth in there. And forget about the Lehigh game... you can't even move in there, or get food. It's essentialy a wood box, carpeting, and padded seating over the concrete bleacher structure. The new one is supposedly going on top of the bathrooms and be higher-up.

I've said this a few times and it's common sense... don't know why the administration doesn't pick-up on it.. be fan friendly, involve kids and families every gameday... and PR blitz in Easton.. there are tons of Red Rover fans who need something to do Saturday.

I think Fisher can be easily wheelchair accesible. You have the gate entrence on Hamilton St. and it essentially runs level from that point, under the stadium, and all the way to the opposite side. You just need to clear some wheelchair spots in the mid-sections near the tunnels. Plus, I've seen some wheelchair people with some good seats already... there is access from the Acopian/deck area, and one could wheel to the top of the stadium. There are open, flat spaces adjacent to the coaches' box and TV box.

JoltinJoe
January 2nd, 2006, 07:11 AM
I did not realize there were lights there... too busy studying the field and freezing.. but that sounds impressive. Interesting you say that safety is not much of a concern. I've heard the campus is gated and students don't venture out much.. and that the Bronx is quite bad, with the only nice area being around Manhattan College. But then again my intelligence comes from my older parents, who still won't go to NYC because they don't believe me that Times Square is Disney World, not 1960s/1970s sleaze hole.

That could be a good marketing angle... visit the gardens, zoo daytime, dinner in Little Italy.. and a Fordham football game at night. I too saw the train show ad on the way out and felt bad I didn't catch it earlier :(

Regarding prices for parking, it shouldn't be that high for a college campus. I think the Gardens' parking was only $5.. and the train station down the street was like $3. Bad enough the bridge is $6.. you have to pay $8 to park... and then $15 for a ticket. With a family that adds up and makes it less attractive. It should be FREE, or as high as $3 (unadvertised so you don't get non-fans parking).

The Bronx is much better than its reputation, which I think is largely based on the 1970's and 1980's perceptions. There is an economic renaissance going on in the Bronx, and prosperity has found its way to Fordham Road. This is great news for Fordham. Selectivity there really took a hit from the '70s through the '90s because of its troubled location, but the school is moving back toward its prior measure of selectivity. In the last few years, Fordham moved back onto Barron's list of the "Highly Competitive Colleges" after being dropped for many years onto the list of "Very Competititive Colleges." The administration believes that the school will eventually return to the list of "Most Competitive Colleges" by 2015. With the area's improvement, Fordham's location is becoming more of a positive than a negative, but a lingering perception remains among those who have not ventured to the Bronx recently.

There is a lot to do in the Bronx, but the name and reputation can be intimidating. Many fans of our opponents just stay away because of that perception. We need to get the word out that there is a lot to do on game day, especially if you have little ones.

carney2
January 2nd, 2006, 10:26 AM

All good points. As for the basketball facilities, I'm not sure that I agree with you. The basketball court is merely a partitioned off section of an all purpose gymnateriatorium as they call it in some elementary schools. It's saving feature has been the crowds. Lafayette traditionally leads the Patriot League in basketball attendance. They fill the seats with interested and boisterous fans. Of course, in their infinite wisdom, the powers that be seem determined to kill that golden goose by remaining the only Patriot League school not awarding athletic grants for basketball. A good run of mediocrity - which has begun - will cause many of these people to stay home. An open comment to the Lafayette Board of Trustees: Hey guys, this train has left the station; it isn't coming back this way again. Some common sense, please!

I'm not sure what the school can do about home attendance. The football program has lost contact with at least two generations of alumni. I don't miss many games, and I have not seen many students in attendance since sometime in the early 80's. I know graduates of this time period who state (with some pride) that they never set foot in Fisher Field. When I see them (rarely) at a home game - usually a Homecoming type event where they have made prior commitments with their friends - they never leave their tailgating party in the parking deck. They don't even buy a ticket. In any event, if they never - or rarely - attended as students, it is beyond optimistic to expect them to care as alums. As for the "townies," they do not now and never have had much of an attachment to the school or the athletic program. Easton is a blue collar town and has always viewed the College crowd as elitist snobs. Sure, there is a hardcore group who will show up anywhere, anytime to watch a good game, but how many of them are there, really? In summary: the place to start is with the students. Why don't they care about the football program?

As for handicapped accessibility, you've got to remember that the only money that has been spent on Fisher Field since the 1920's has been for grass seed. That doesn't make it right. That's just the way it is. In any event, I doubt if zoning has anything to do with it.

PS This thread about Fordham's Coffey Field and the Bronx has degenerated into Fisher bashng. Perhaps we should start a new topic devoted to that topic :rolleyes: or :deadhorse .

JoltinJoe
January 2nd, 2006, 12:30 PM
http://www.fordhamsports.com/static_files/facilities/new_coffey/Coffey-Field.JPG

Found this shot of the Fordham/Columbia game this year. As FORDHAM notes, behind the south endzone, Keating Hall, the university's signature building, looms. Keating's tower is lit up at night, and everyone who attended said it was just an awesome, picturesque sight at night.

http://www.fordham.edu/audience/tours/images/locations/25_keating_hall.gif
More night games!!!

I think we're stuck with the one-sided facility, however. Many people talk about visitors' stands, or at least temporart visitors' stands, but the baseball team uses that side of the field even during the fall.

Pard4Life
January 2nd, 2006, 06:21 PM
Wow, that picture looks awesome. More night games should definetely be in order!

Pard4Life
January 2nd, 2006, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure what the school can do about home attendance. The football program has lost contact with at least two generations of alumni. I don't miss many games, and I have not seen many students in attendance since sometime in the early 80's. I know graduates of this time period who state (with some pride) that they never set foot in Fisher Field. When I see them (rarely) at a home game - usually a Homecoming type event where they have made prior commitments with their friends - they never leave their tailgating party in the parking deck. They don't even buy a ticket. In any event, if they never - or rarely - attended as students, it is beyond optimistic to expect them to care as alums. As for the "townies," they do not now and never have had much of an attachment to the school or the athletic program. Easton is a blue collar town and has always viewed the College crowd as elitist snobs. Sure, there is a hardcore group who will show up anywhere, anytime to watch a good game, but how many of them are there, really? In summary: the place to start is with the students. Why don't they care about the football program?

As for handicapped accessibility, you've got to remember that the only money that has been spent on Fisher Field since the 1920's has been for grass seed. That doesn't make it right. That's just the way it is. In any event, I doubt if zoning has anything to do with it.

PS This thread about Fordham's Coffey Field and the Bronx has degenerated into Fisher bashng. Perhaps we should start a new topic devoted to that topic .

I posted this on the Lafayette board awhile ago, but i'll put it here for more to see...

Here is what most students say about avoiding basketball games, and football games for that matter, from what I've heard...

"I've got too much work to do" (but didn't you party the other night?)
"I'm doing xyz activity today" (um, that can be done another time)
"Pff.. it's not Penn State" (then go there stupid)
"The weather is bad outside" (you went to class in it)
"I'm just not interested" (well, not all are sports fans)
"It's not a big game" (sorry sheep bleeting front-runner)
"We suck, who cares" (arrogant fatalist)
"I'd rather tailgate on March all day" (haven't you been boozing since 8am? it gets boring by 1pm)
"It's on TV, why bother?" (lazy, anti-social)

All of these are poor excuses and translates into laziness. For a campus that takes 10 minutes to walk from the new Rubin to Wawa, we have some of the most laziest students. And when students usually go to the games, the atmosphere feels like a polo match. The only group of students I have seen routinely go nuts are the athletes of other sports, I guess because they are each others' friends and it's mutual support. If we win, people will come, if we don't win, they won't.. but still, go to the games and support your teams.

However, despite my scathing stance, I do have hope... we had a pretty healthy contigent of students standing together in the upper stands at Lehigh, rooting the entire time, even when we seemed out of it. They were mostly freshmen, but some uppers. And let's hope some of these frosh join frats and multiply the passionate support there in larger numbers. One girl at least has some passion... she screamed at the fans who seemingly wrote the game off as a loss to get up and cheer... now that's a fan!.. only few and far between it seems.

ngineer
January 2nd, 2006, 10:12 PM
I posted this on the Lafayette board awhile ago, but i'll put it here for more to see...

Here is what most students say about avoiding basketball games, and football games for that matter, from what I've heard...

"I've got too much work to do" (but didn't you party the other night?)
"I'm doing xyz activity today" (um, that can be done another time)
"Pff.. it's not Penn State" (then go there stupid)
"The weather is bad outside" (you went to class in it)
"I'm just not interested" (well, not all are sports fans)
"It's not a big game" (sorry sheep bleeting front-runner)
"We suck, who cares" (arrogant fatalist)
"I'd rather tailgate on March all day" (haven't you been boozing since 8am? it gets boring by 1pm)
"It's on TV, why bother?" (lazy, anti-social)

All of these are poor excuses and translates into laziness. For a campus that takes 10 minutes to walk from the new Rubin to Wawa, we have some of the most laziest students. And when students usually go to the games, the atmosphere feels like a polo match. The only group of students I have seen routinely go nuts are the athletes of other sports, I guess because they are each others' friends and it's mutual support. If we win, people will come, if we don't win, they won't.. but still, go to the games and support your teams.

However, despite my scathing stance, I do have hope... we had a pretty healthy contigent of students standing together in the upper stands at Lehigh, rooting the entire time, even when we seemed out of it. They were mostly freshmen, but some uppers. And let's hope some of these frosh join frats and multiply the passionate support there in larger numbers. One girl at least has some passion... she screamed at the fans who seemingly wrote the game off as a loss to get up and cheer... now that's a fan!.. only few and far between it seems.

That certainly is a problem when you consider that Lafayette's campus is so compact that getting to either Kirby or Fisher is only a 10 min. walk for most. When Lehigh developed the Goodman Athletic campus on the other side of the mountain there was concern that student attendance would be affected.
I think it has with regard to games that are not 'headliners', but for the traditional rivalries and big OOC games attendance has held up fairly well. The U does make an effort with shuttle buses for those without cars. But b-ball never drew well even at old Grace Hall where 1,000 would be a good crowd. Taylor Stadium probably got more of a 'walk up' crowd due to proximity to the surrounding city and students able to just 'roll in.'
But the bottom line is gettng students buying into the entire campus experience--supporting each other--not just sports but the arts as well. How is the attendance at the College's choral or orcherstral performances? If similar than it would seem to be an institutional 'thing' as opposed to just sports. HOwever, I know a number of Lafayette grads who don't go to Fisher because it is such a pit--their wives won't go--plus now all their games are on local cable, so they just tune in from the couch. Sad.

Pard4Life
January 3rd, 2006, 11:57 AM
That certainly is a problem when you consider that Lafayette's campus is so compact that getting to either Kirby or Fisher is only a 10 min. walk for most. When Lehigh developed the Goodman Athletic campus on the other side of the mountain there was concern that student attendance would be affected.
I think it has with regard to games that are not 'headliners', but for the traditional rivalries and big OOC games attendance has held up fairly well. The U does make an effort with shuttle buses for those without cars. But b-ball never drew well even at old Grace Hall where 1,000 would be a good crowd. Taylor Stadium probably got more of a 'walk up' crowd due to proximity to the surrounding city and students able to just 'roll in.'
But the bottom line is gettng students buying into the entire campus experience--supporting each other--not just sports but the arts as well. How is the attendance at the College's choral or orcherstral performances? If similar than it would seem to be an institutional 'thing' as opposed to just sports. HOwever, I know a number of Lafayette grads who don't go to Fisher because it is such a pit--their wives won't go--plus now all their games are on local cable, so they just tune in from the couch. Sad.

I must I am quite impressed with how students make it over South Mountain to games. You can see the stadium area from most of our campus and nobody goes... yeesh. Attendence at other events like arts, choir, is ok. I guess since my friends were in those activities it always seem like they got alot of attention. But, it still seems like a small turnout. I think it's an insitutional thing. That might be changing though. I can sympathize with that pit label. My mom stopped going to family and homecoming games years ago because she said the air there made her sick... amongst other things I'm assuming. :rolleyes: She will only go to Goodman, ugh.