PDA

View Full Version : Looks like GSU will be getting an experienced option quarterback

Eaglesrus
February 24th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Word is that GA Tech's backup for the last couple of years, Jaybo Shaw, though he is currently enrolled at Tech, will not be partcipating in Spring practice with the Yellow Jackets and will be joining the Eagles for 2010 season. He's been a backup at Tech for a reason, but at least he's experienced with our new/old offense.

WVAPPmountaineer
February 24th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Word is that GA Tech's backup for the last couple of years, Jaybo Shaw, though he is currently enrolled at Tech, will not be partcipating in Spring practice with the Yellow Jackets and will be joining the Eagles for 2010 season. He's been a backup at Tech for a reason, but at least he's experienced with our new/old offense.

I thought he was set to take over this coming season at Tech? ----

Eaglesrus
February 24th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I thought he was set to take over this coming season at Tech? ----

Nope, Nesbitt is back (though he isn't going to participate in the Spring due to injury) and supposedly its become apparent that Johnson plans to go with a younger player (or players) as his primary backup.

T-Dog
February 25th, 2010, 07:10 AM
How many people have already, in their own words, claimed a return to glory for the Eagles? xlolx

SpeedkingATL
February 25th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Great news for the Eagles. They just improved their team....xtwocentsx

Laserlips
February 25th, 2010, 09:59 AM
How many people have already, in their own words, claimed a return to glory for the Eagles? xlolx

T-Dog,

Anyone suggesting an "immediate" return to the glory days for the GSU Eagles football program must be smoking those funny cig-rets..

I do believe what most GSU fans (myself included) think is that the return of the triple option offense to the GSU program is a good thing. And while it will take years to get the right players for the offense to make our sad program respectful in the SOCON again, it's a start in the right direction..xthumbsupx

I think our new head football coach has the potential to right the sinking ship that has been GSU football since the hiring of BVG the idiot....

I do know that as fine a person as Coach Hatcher is watching his "Hatch Non-Attack" was enough to put you to sleep, and had no signs of getting any better.

IF Jaybo Shaw comes to GSU as the rumor indicates I think he has the potential to jump start the triple option offense, not make us giant killers, but to respectability earlier than a fan could otherwise expect.

He has experience in the offense, he is familiar with the Head Coach and his coaching philosophy and technique, and I think all of that is a bonus for our struggling Eagles that we would otherwise be lacking.

So, imho, IF Mr. Shaw comes to GSU, AND becomes our first QB under Coach Monken's tenure I think it's a win win for GSU..

I will say I think that the hiring of Coach Monken, and the return to the triple option offense to GSU is something that other coaches and fans in the SOCON are keeping an eye on.

Our usual "immediate gratification" fans have to realize that moving from where we are to where we want to be with our football program will not happen overnight, or in one or two seasons.

But, you have to start somewhere, and since we've started moving, the addition of an experienced triple option quarterback, who knows and likes the coach, is not a bad thing.

Just personal opinion, no offense to GSU haters..

Best Wishes,

jesse

P.S. Anyway ALL "past"National Championships are "history", no matter if your school won the last one this past season, or a decade ago... Any team coming into Paulson Stadium will see 6 of those National Championship flags flying over the football field, and you won't see that sight anyplace else...

JDC325
February 25th, 2010, 10:55 AM

Very few GSU folk have.

Eaglesrus
February 25th, 2010, 08:33 PM

Very few GSU folk have.

Seantaylor and one other that I know of.

eaglesrthe1
February 26th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Seantaylor and one other that I know of.

So far.... but that doesn't qualify as a few, at least for now.

soweagle
March 1st, 2010, 03:19 PM
After the spring game that number will jump. The arm chair coaches will suddenly be able to visualize the ability of some unknown player that has a break out game against the 4th string defense and we will suddenly have the next AP, Foster, Ham, etc.. all based on one controlled scrimmage and most likley based on seeing one or two plays by this unknown soon to be messageboard hyped superstar!!!

ThompsonThe
March 2nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
Sooner or later you's guys are bound to rebound from those down years. No guarantee but when you take on one after the other coach and dismiss them, sooner or later you are almost bound to have a winner.
Hope you get back to where U once belonged...as the song goes. Tired of hearing the CAA drone on about how wonderful they are, and how the sun rises and sets with them. The SoCon and all the teams in it would benefit from your resurgence. Even though most of your fans will not root for other SoCon teams, many of us are hoping that you guys are up and winning big time again.

eaglemachine
March 2nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
I'm glad he decided to transfer so we have a qb with experience running the option right out of the gate.

"Tired of hearing the CAA drone on about how wonderful they are, and how the sun rises and sets with them. The SoCon and all the teams in it would benefit from your resurgence. Even though most of your fans will not root for other SoCon teams, many of us are hoping that you guys are up and winning big time again."
I'm tired of hearing about the CAA as well. I root for other SoCon teams....just not when their playing us :)

SpeedkingATL
March 3rd, 2010, 09:07 AM
Sooner or later you's guys are bound to rebound from those down years. No guarantee but when you take on one after the other coach and dismiss them, sooner or later you are almost bound to have a winner.
Hope you get back to where U once belonged...as the song goes. Tired of hearing the CAA drone on about how wonderful they are, and how the sun rises and sets with them. The SoCon and all the teams in it would benefit from your resurgence. Even though most of your fans will not root for other SoCon teams, many of us are hoping that you guys are up and winning big time again.

I echo the above statements. With GSU returning to their traditional offense, hopefully the natives will give the new coach the time it takes to develop this team. Patience will be required and that is something that the GSU faithful haven't shown in recent years. J Shaw will help start this process but he isn't Jason Foster...no one is.xcoffeex

Eaglesrus
March 3rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
I echo the above statements. With GSU returning to their traditional offense, hopefully the natives will give the new coach the time it takes to develop this team. Patience will be required and that is something that the GSU faithful haven't shown in recent years. J Shaw will help start this process but he isn't Jason Foster...no one is.xcoffeex

I think that the GSU faithful in general have shown more patience recently than GSU's administration has, and with the return to the 3-O will be still more prone to do so. There was certainly a lot of grumbling last year, but I'm convinced that the vast majority of GSU's boosters were really unhappy about when and how Hatcher was released. I'm just glad that we have a new president and hope that he will take a more measured approach than our last one did.

PaladinFan
March 3rd, 2010, 09:31 AM
I think that the GSU faithful in general have shown more patience recently than GSU's administration has, and with the return to the 3-O will be still more prone to do so. There was certainly a lot of grumbling last year, but I'm convinced that the vast majority of GSU's boosters were really unhappy about when and how Hatcher was released. I'm just glad that we have a new president and hope that he will take a more measured approach than our last one did.

I agree. I'm not sure who was really steering the ship. I remember thinking when GSU fired Sewak that "they are going to regret that."

I, too, hope GSU gets back on track. The conference simply is more fun when they are good.

GaSouthern
March 3rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
I agree. I'm not sure who was really steering the ship. I remember thinking when GSU fired Sewak that "they are going to regret that."

I, too, hope GSU gets back on track. The conference simply is more fun when they are good.

I think getting Monken as head coach is step 1 of getting the Big 3 back together.

With CitDog's team in the dumps next season that will help as well.

It is time for ASU, GSU and FU to kick the crap out of the rest of the conference!

JDC325
March 3rd, 2010, 11:06 AM

The GSU faith full were only ignorantly impatient with Sewak and we have deservedly paid the price. However, none of us wanted to tear down the entire house because of a leaky faucet when our glorious AD brought in Van Idiot who had no head coaching ability what so ever and was not a T.O. coach. I think Hatch should have gotten one more year but again it is hard to argue that he was heading in the right direction. It should also be noted he was not hated like Van Goober and there was not a huge contingent of fans screaming for his head. His firing caught even his detractors off guard and it had more to do with a coward outgoing president who got his panties in a wad more than anything else. Only our idiot AD and the lunatic fringe will be expecting a NC in less than two years, the vast majoity of GSU fans understand Rome will not be rebuilt in a day.

PaladinFan
March 3rd, 2010, 11:52 AM
The GSU faith full were only ignorantly impatient with Sewak and we have deservedly paid the price. However, none of us wanted to tear down the entire house because of a leaky faucet when our glorious AD brought in Van Idiot who had no head coaching ability what so ever and was not a T.O. coach. I think Hatch should have gotten one more year but again it is hard to argue that he was heading in the right direction. It should also be noted he was not hated like Van Goober and there was not a huge contingent of fans screaming for his head. His firing caught even his detractors off guard and it had more to do with a coward outgoing president who got his panties in a wad more than anything else. Only our idiot AD and the lunatic fringe will be expecting a NC in less than two years, the vast majoity of GSU fans understand Rome will not be rebuilt in a day.

That was my feeling. I think teams can end up screwing themselves in the ground when they take the approach that they are "entitled" to win football games. There's a number of programs that have dug themselves deeper into a hole because the fan base was treated to a couple down seasons.

There's a fine line, I think, between expecting to win and feeling you are entitled to win. Hopefully GSU fans, after having experienced how the other half lives, will be less likely to pull the trigger on Coach Monken.

OL FU
March 3rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
I too hope the Eagles return. But I will take two or three 3-8 seasons first. This has been kinda funxsmiley_wix:D