PDA

View Full Version : "New" SLC

DG Cowboy
February 24th, 2010, 09:58 AM
If all the Texas schools leave for the FBS, then that leaves UCA, NW, McNeese, Nicholls, and SLU. Aren't 6 teams required for a viable, AQ playoff conference by the NCAA? Seems the Great West had to get 6, and then be around for a few years to get an AQ.

Would the Conference have to then wait because it fell below 6 teams briefly? Seems that a new team should be brought in soon so there would be 6 teams in the SLC, even if the Texas schools left at the same time. Or does UCA have the same idea in mind as the Texas schools?

danefan
February 24th, 2010, 10:35 AM
AQ requirement is 6 teams that have played together for the preceding 2 consecutive years.

The Great West only has 5.

So yes, the SLC may lose its AQ for a year or two if all the Texas schools leave and the league did not add enough teams in anticipation to meet the 2 year requirement.

msusig
February 24th, 2010, 10:48 AM
If all the Texas schools leave for the FBS, then that leaves UCA, NW, McNeese, Nicholls, and SLU. Aren't 6 teams required for a viable, AQ playoff conference by the NCAA? Seems the Great West had to get 6, and then be around for a few years to get an AQ.

Who would the new 6th SLC team likely be? Would the Conference have to then wait because it fell below 6 teams briefly? Seems that a new team should be brought in soon so there would be 6 teams in the SLC, even if the Texas schools left at the same time. Or does UCA have the same idea in mind as the Texas schools?

If Lamar can go FBS, so can McNeese.

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I am not certain that all the Texas schools will leave...

The only Texas school that is currently a member of the conference for football that is dead set on leaving is Texas State University - San Marcos.

The most recent rumblings around the league have SHSU in the best position after that, especially in light that they have started a feasibility study that looks at FBS, as well as if that is not the direction, the way they can improve as a department.

Further rumblings indicate that Lamar is not as well-positioned as many think with SFA not even sharing whispers about an FBS move. We'll see...

chrisattsu
February 24th, 2010, 12:22 PM

But would you want to? The vibe that I have picked up from your fans is that you do not want to leave FCS. You guys are very happy here.

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2010, 12:40 PM
But would you want to? The vibe that I have picked up from your fans is that you do not want to leave FCS. You guys are very happy here.

Additionally, McNeese is not, nor will ever be in the same financial situation as the Texas schools. As noted before, the La. schools are operating with a hand tied behind their back in the financial department.

A look at FBS schools in La. outside of LSU, show that they are all in the bottom of their respective leagues when it comes to expenses/revenues and in the case of ULL, ULM - at the bottom competitively (Vic Bubas Cup). Would have to check La Tech, but am sure that case holds true for them as well.

DG Cowboy
February 24th, 2010, 01:26 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ????

msusig
February 24th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Additionally, McNeese is not, nor will ever be in the same financial situation as the Texas schools. As noted before, the La. schools are operating with a hand tied behind their back in the financial department.

A look at FBS schools in La. outside of LSU, show that they are all in the bottom of their respective leagues when it comes to expenses/revenues and in the case of ULL, ULM - at the bottom competitively (Vic Bubas Cup). Would have to check La Tech, but am sure that case holds true for them as well.

Just saying that I don't believe Lamar will be able to move up and that if they could do it, then McNeese could. I'm sure the financial situation for LA schools will eventually improve. The economy will recover.
I'm happy with FCS as long as we keep the majority of our conference members. Maybe UL-Monroe will be moving down to FCS if they can't get their attendance numbers turned around. I'm kind of excited to get a new football rivalry going with Lamar. Red beans and Rice bowl is ok, but it is just too far away as a rivalry.

centexguy
February 24th, 2010, 02:13 PM
The administration at Lamar has not formally announced they intend to go FBS. They have said they could easily expand the stadium to 35K in the future if they do decide to go FBS. From what I've read and heard, it'll be at least 5 years until they do.

msusig
February 24th, 2010, 02:30 PM
The administration at Lamar has not formally announced they intend to go FBS. They have said they could easily expand the stadium to 35K in the future if they do decide to go FBS. From what I've read and heard, it'll be at least 5 years until they do.

That just means they are waiting to see what the attendance is after a few years. Any stadium can be expanded, but if you don't get the butts in the seats then you can't move up. I think a lot of teams move up not knowing what drives attendance. If you don't have any rivals in your conference, you don't play teams in your region, and you can't attract a few big name teams to your stadium then it is pointless to move up.

JoshUCA
February 24th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Red beans and Rice bowl is ok, but it is just too far away as a rivalry.

That is my problem with UCA and the SLC...everyone is too far! It's not like our GSC days when our rival Arkansas Tech was 45 miles away!

DG Cowboy
February 24th, 2010, 02:41 PM
That is my problem with UCA and the SLC...everyone is too far! It's not like our GSC days when our rival Arkansas Tech was 45 miles away!

Don't you see UCA looking to maybe move to the Gateway or Ohio Valley eventually?

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Just saying that I don't believe Lamar will be able to move up and that if they could do it, then McNeese could. I'm sure the financial situation for LA schools will eventually improve. The economy will recover.

The fact of the matter is that Lamar is in a much better financial situation than McNeese. They have received several major donations and the student fees have also helped bumped the program significantly (or will).

You can say that the economy will recover, but fact of the matter is that even when the economy was good, the Texas schools were ahead. Now, the gap has widened - especially in wake of the new student fees for athletics at the different institutions in Texas.

UCABEARS75
February 24th, 2010, 05:04 PM

Well, back in the old AIC days Magnolia (SAU) was our longest trip.

And in the GSC we had trips to Valdosta every other year which is further than anything in the SLC and trips to W. Georgia, W. Alabama, N. Alabama.

For a D-I conference our travel is really not that bad.

We are in a different part of the world than back east.

The Sun Belt has some huge travel distances.

In a perfect world Ark. State, La. Monroe, and La. Lafayatte would come back to the SLC.

p.s. Everyone is not too far. I have not missed a conference game since we joined. Each of the trips are very managable road trips. (Usually fly to one game per year).

UCABEARS75
February 24th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Don't you see UCA looking to maybe move to the Gateway or Ohio Valley eventually?

Never say never but I would believe we would stay with our Lousiana brothers and Texas brothers as long as possible.

Our demographics, recruiting, etc. really require that we stay in a southern conference.

DG Cowboy
February 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Never say never but I would believe we would stay with our Lousiana brothers and Texas brothers as long as possible.

Our demographics, recruiting, etc. really require that we stay in a southern conference.

Sounds good to me. UCA has been good for the SLC.

CollegeSportsInfo
February 24th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I mentioned on another thread on CS.com, but I did throw out there that one possible solution if teams leave as mentioned (TxSt, UTSA, Lamar) was to bring in affiliate members for football from the Great West.

Stephen F. Austin
McNeese State
Southeastern Louisiana
Sam Houston State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State

Central Arkansas
* UND
* USD
* SUU
* Cal Poly
* UC Davis

Heck, the Southland could be selfish since they'd be in the power position, and just bring in SUU for #8 as safety in the event the numbers look to dwindle further.

lionsrking2
February 24th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I mentioned on another thread on CS.com, but I did throw out there that one possible solution if teams leave as mentioned (TxSt, UTSA, Lamar) was to bring in affiliate members for football from the Great West.

Stephen F. Austin
McNeese State
Southeastern Louisiana
Sam Houston State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State

Central Arkansas
* UND
* USD
* SUU
* Cal Poly
* UC Davis

Heck, the Southland could be selfish since they'd be in the power position, and just bring in SUU for #8 as safety in the event the numbers look to dwindle further.

That would never happen...too many plane flights.

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2010, 06:31 PM

CSI - if you are going to say that both Lamar and TXST are jumping, you must include SHSU. It gets repetitive that I have to say this - but if both schools jump, SHSU will be ready.

Talking to a few people, they feel that SHSU is ahead in the game of Lamar. Considering how much the baseball and men's hoops program have fallen off at LU, I can see how that exists athletically...

JohnStOnge
February 24th, 2010, 07:13 PM

Once again: The idea that a FCS school is, more likely than not, going to improve its financial situation by going to FBS is a myth. It's just not true. More likely than not, the school's financial situation will degrade rather than improve.

McNeese75
February 24th, 2010, 07:48 PM

No xcoolx

UCABEARS75
February 25th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Sounds good to me. UCA has been good for the SLC.

Agreed, and I think the SLC has been and will continue to be good for UCA.

DG Cowboy
February 25th, 2010, 10:43 AM

All the dollar signs were to say that Lamar would have more money to go FBS than McNeese would.

msusig
February 25th, 2010, 07:55 PM

I wasn't trying to say that UCA is too far to be a conference member. I think they are perfect fit to add a new market other than Texas & Louisiana. It just doesn't seem to make sense for them to be our rival. I would say Lamar is perfect fit as a rival in football.

UCABEARS75
February 26th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I wasn't trying to say that UCA is too far to be a conference member. I think they are perfect fit to add a new market other than Texas & Louisiana. It just doesn't seem to make sense for them to be our rival. I would say Lamar is perfect fit as a rival in football.

I know, I was responding to DG Cowboy's thoughts on us looking to the Ohio Valley or Missouri Valley.