PDA

View Full Version : Positive News on Dynamo/TSU Stadium

TexasTerror
February 23rd, 2010, 08:55 AM
Some good news out of the Soccer y Futbol blog...everything is quiet, but perhaps this is a sign of good news forthcoming? Just get it done!

For a while, all the buzz about the Dynamo's proposed new stadium on the East End was lousy if you were a Dynamo fan.

I'm still digging and digging, but I got an interesting text message late Friday night from a friend who had just talked to one of the members of the commissioner's court. My friend said good news on the stadium was forthcoming.

What does this mean? I don't know. If I did, I'd write a story about it. But I'm hearing that the meeting between Commissioner Franco and the Mayor on Thursday was real promising. Nobody's talking, especially not the Dynamo.

http://blogs.chron.com/soccer/archives/2010/02/dynamo_stadium_3.html

doolittledog
March 24th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Update for the potential stadium for the Dynamo/TSU stadium.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/6926390.html

Redbird Ray
March 24th, 2010, 03:37 PM
More FCS teams need to remodel their stadiums to FCS capacity/design. The Dynamo also deserve a better facility than the Rob. Hopefully this gets done.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 24th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Tiger Stadium :D

TexasTerror
March 24th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Tiger Stadium :D

This is a SSS.

While it is great that Texas Southern was used as a political move and will arguably have the best facilities in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) as far as off-campus facilities are concerned, Texas Southern's needs are secondary to the MLS' Houston Dynamo.

Houston will be in line to host the MLS Cup and several other major international competitions with this facility and it's a great thing that it's finally coming to fruition.

Perhaps TSU can host a College Classico at the stadium as well as potentially work with Houston & Rice to host the College Cup. A great display of college soccer! Texas A&M has hosted the College Cup before...

With football taken care of, time for the Tigers to get a baseball facility that is not at MacGregor or Memorial Park... xthumbsupx

doolittledog
March 25th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Will Houston be upset that Texas Southern will be playing in a nicer stadium than they will be playing in after losing the Dynamo as a tenant at their place???

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Will Houston be upset that Texas Southern will be playing in a nicer stadium than they will be playing in after losing the Dynamo as a tenant at their place???

It's a shame that the old Houston AD had no vision as far as stadiums went, because this could have been a UH/Dynamo partnership...

While Texas Southern will have a nicer stadium for the time being, don't turn your back on UH. It sounds like the new AD is about to do several things with their football, basketball facility 'situations'...this is the same AD, mind you, who handled the Akron situation...

TSU will benefit more from this deal than anyone - it'll save them plenty of money and give them a jewel of a facility that may help them become relevant in the SWAC, something they have not been since the start of the league (and the end of the Midwestern Conference)....

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southwestern/texas_southern/yearly_totals.php

3rd Coast Tiger
March 25th, 2010, 11:30 AM

Who knows, maybe Cougar High will get the "Rob" renovated at the same time Tiger Stadium is completed.

TSUalum05
March 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM
With football taken care of, time for the Tigers to get a baseball facility that is not at MacGregor or Memorial Park... xthumbsupx

Stay tuned - I would go further into it but this is a football board.

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Who knows, maybe Cougar High will get the "Rob" renovated at the same time Tiger Stadium is completed.

Tiger Stadium? xnonono2x Texas Southern will have what - 5, 6 dates in the stadium? The Dynamo will have 20-25.

Hope they're able to put concerts, NCAA postseason competition and more in the facility to provide more dates...

doolittledog
March 25th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Tiger Stadium? xnonono2x Texas Southern will have what - 5, 6 dates in the stadium? The Dynamo will have 20-25.

Hope they're able to put concerts, NCAA postseason competition and more in the facility to provide more dates...

FCS Championship game 3 years from nowxchinscratchx

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2010, 12:56 PM
FCS Championship game 3 years from nowxchinscratchx

A possibility...that had been mentioned before.

The last NCAA Division I championship held in Houston (prior to the Final Four next year) was the NCAA Bowling championships, hosted at the George R. Brown by Texas Southern...

Houston has hosted the Division II Spring Sports Festival at Memorial Park since then...

Not sure if Texas Southern is capable of hosting a major championship OR attempting to bid on an event like the Division I title game (particularly if the SWAC is still not an active participant) without partnering with the Southland Conference and/or some of the other local FCS institutions...

Frisco got some 'hate' for not having a host institution, but it was still home to the Southland Conference offices...

doolittledog
March 25th, 2010, 01:02 PM
The Dynamo are owned by AEG, which are concert promoters and produce the X-games in LA at the Home Depot Center, as well as by Oscar De La Hoya and his boxing promoting business. I would think Texas Southern and the SWAC could be involved, but for the most part they could sit back and let AEG and De La Hoya do the majority of the grunt work. If that is something the parties involved were interested in doing.

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2010, 01:35 PM
The Dynamo are owned by AEG, which are concert promoters and produce the X-games in LA at the Home Depot Center, as well as by Oscar De La Hoya and his boxing promoting business. I would think Texas Southern and the SWAC could be involved, but for the most part they could sit back and let AEG and De La Hoya do the majority of the grunt work. If that is something the parties involved were interested in doing.

The SWAC has their hands full with the SWAC championship game and other football interests, I have a hard time seeing them getting involved hands-on with a game that they know/care little about.

Texas Southern, on the other hand, could be a mutual partner as the 'host school' with the AEG, the Houston Sports Authority, Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau and several other groups that could easily lend a hand.

Seeing that it is a "break even" proposition (at least it was for Chatty), I am not sure TSU would be interested, especially if the risk exists if done poorly that they could lose money on the venture...

3rd Coast Tiger
March 25th, 2010, 01:38 PM

Something to take into consideration for Tiger Stadium doolittledog. xsmileyclapx

3rd Coast Tiger
March 25th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Sports Authority agrees to soccer stadium role

By CHRIS MORAN
Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
March 25, 2010, 12:43PM

The Harris County-Houston Sports Authority, builder of three local major sports stadiums, formally agreed today to take a role in the construction of a professional soccer stadium.

The authority's board voted unanimously to accept the city and county's request that it negotiate a lease with the Dynamo, oversee construction of the stadium and then serve as its landlord.

Earlier this week the city, county and the Dynamo unveiled an agreement for the Dynamo to invest $60 million in a stadium just east of U.S. 59 downtown. The city and county have each pledged $10 million toward infrastructure to support the project. Texas Southern University will also play its football games in the stadium.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/6929789.html

3rd Coast Tiger
April 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM
I believe this will answer some questions a few had about stadium usage initially...

Last week, Johnson attended a committee meeting at which Andy Icken, the city's chief development officer, assured him that no events outside of Dynamo soccer and TSU football would be permitted at the new stadium through 2013, to avoid any conflict with the Rockets.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6939013.html

TexasTerror
April 1st, 2010, 12:36 PM
I believe this will answer some questions a few had about stadium usage initially...

That's a shame 3rd Coast...

The whole point of a soccer specific stadium in Houston, outside of ensuring the Dynamo would stay in the Bayou City, was to draw major soccer matches outside of the Dynamo's realm, that were not on the scale of those played at Reliant...

I can understand why the Rockets have such a deal in place, but I would hope that other soccer matches fall under the "Dynamo" part of the equation, since it is not like that would be conflicting with the purpose of the Toyota Center or Houston Rockets...

ccd494
April 1st, 2010, 06:15 PM
Speaking as an MLS fan... I thought we were getting away with sharing pitches with football teams. NOTHING is worse for natural grass than football. Five or six TSU games won't be so bad (hopefully they aren't practicing on it.... EVER), but puhhhhhlease no more.

doolittledog
April 1st, 2010, 06:32 PM
I am another MLS fan here. You get problems with football lines when the stadium is not under your control and the football team has all the say in things. Like what we saw at Giants Stadium and all those other places from the early days in MLS. Now that most MLS teams are getting their own stadiums...and the MLS grounds keepers are in charge, you hardly notice football lines. There is football played at Columbus, Dallas and most of the other MLS SSS stadiums and the football lines are negligable.

TexasTerror
April 1st, 2010, 08:06 PM
Speaking as an MLS fan... I thought we were getting away with sharing pitches with football teams. NOTHING is worse for natural grass than football. Five or six TSU games won't be so bad (hopefully they aren't practicing on it.... EVER), but puhhhhhlease no more.

I agree and I'm not going to be a fan of the lines...

TSU is in the equation for the sole reason of politics and being able to seal the deal. There's no question there and they end up getting utilization of what will be the top facility in FCS.

Has TSU stated whether or not they will host the Labor Day Classic at the new stadium? Based on recent attendance, it makes sense. Would PV be willing to have their home game at the new stadium?

3rd Coast Tiger
April 2nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Texas Southern will not practice at Tiger Stadium...

The Labor Day Classic will eventually be moved annually to Tiger Stadium...

This agreement of non competes only last through 2013 (the stadium will be ready for 2012 so that's only two seasons before it can be opened for auxillary events).

TexasTerror
April 2nd, 2010, 03:01 PM
This agreement of non competes only last through 2013 (the stadium will be ready for 2012 so that's only two seasons before it can be opened for auxillary events).

As I said before, let's just hope that Dynamo events also include any international friendlies or other soccer events that are not as appropriate for Reliant Stadium...

Not sure why you call this one 'Tiger Stadium' since TSU was just used as a political pawn. I really hope you guys can build a suitable 'Tiger Stadium' for baseball instead of borrowing Sunnyside Little League's ballpark for your baseball team...may be able to get a few more Div I games, so it is not always Huston Tillotson and the other NAIAs visiting MacGregor..

TexasTerror
April 3rd, 2010, 05:31 AM
All chances are that it will pass yet another hurdle...

“There's no doubt it will pass,” Sullivan said. “I've talked to a number of my colleagues. There is more interest now than ever before. I anticipate it passing unanimously based on conversations I've had. I'm the council member that is supposed to vote no, but I've now become one of its big supporters.”

Sullivan began embracing the project shortly after Mayor Annise Parker met with County Commissioner El Franco Lee in February and got the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority involved. Sullivan also appreciates that the East End Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone will be used.

The East End TIRZ is one of 21 TIRZs in the city. There's another TIRZ in Sullivan's district, and he used it to build a $9 million library with plans for a community center and expansion of a key road, North Park.

The Dynamo's project has received more support because general revenue funds for the most part won't be used while the team puts in $60 million for an $80 million stadium.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/6942203.html

Syntax Error
April 3rd, 2010, 12:46 PM
The SWAC has their hands full with the SWAC championship game and other football interests, I have a hard time seeing them...

What was the last SWAC football game you saw in person?

TexasTerror
April 3rd, 2010, 06:58 PM
What was the last SWAC football game you saw in person?

Never attended a SWAC football game, but been to other sporting events in which they have... xviolinx

And throw in the fact that their league office can't keep people in the media relations and the championships wings for more than a few months at a time, they really would not be able to handle it...

But, we're talking about a stadium here and not beating the dead horse...

3rd Coast Tiger
April 4th, 2010, 01:53 PM
We've had several discussions with Luck on having a variety of events at Tiger Stadium outside of football.

GETTING INTERESTING!

NoCoDanny
April 4th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Texas Southern will not practice at Tiger Stadium...

The Labor Day Classic will eventually be moved annually to Tiger Stadium...

Practice? practice? Not the game, not the game, practice?

Syntax Error
April 4th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Never attended a SWAC football game...

xxpicx You should try to see a SWAC football game. This thread is in FCS Discussion so other sports have no place here. It is almost like someone saying Chatty did a poor job at running the champ game when the person had never been to Chatty, let alone for a football game, let alone for a champ game, let alone for a champ game anywhere (for comparison).

TexasTerror
April 4th, 2010, 05:57 PM
xxpicx You should try to see a SWAC football game. This thread is in FCS Discussion so other sports have no place here. It is almost like someone saying Chatty did a poor job at running the champ game when the person had never been to Chatty, let alone for a football game, let alone for a champ game, let alone for a champ game anywhere (for comparison).

Like with Chattanooga, the "proof is in the pudding" (or whatever that expression is). You know when a plateau is reached and you got to move on...

Can we stop beating dead horses, SE?

Syntax Error
April 4th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Like with Chattanooga, the "proof is in the pudding" (or whatever that expression is). You know when a plateau is reached and you got to move on...

Can we stop beating dead horses, SE?

Just saying that SWAC football games are often something special and you should go see for yourself. It is much easier for you than me to see one since you live in SWAC country. I see at least one a year and I think maybe you should consider treating yourself to at least one. xtwocentsx

PS. I'll get you a seat at the Bayou Classic or SWAC Champ game if you will go. Heck, we might even sit together!

TexasTerror
April 4th, 2010, 06:55 PM
PS. I'll get you a seat at the Bayou Classic or SWAC Champ game if you will go. Heck, we might even sit together!

I'd do a Bayou Classic game if the work schedule allowed...

Was out of town for two of the previous three Thanksgivings (San Antonio in '07, Stillwater, Ok/Lawrence, Kan. in '08). Had work in '09. Perhaps we can pull '10, but won't know for a few more months...

TexasTerror
April 7th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Council approves deal for new Dynamo stadium

The Houston City Council unanimously approved an agreement this morning that is expected to pave the way for a new professional sports stadium for the Houston Dynamo and the Texas Southern University football team.

Although some council members voiced concerns about the finances of the $95 million public/private project, many came to view the deal to be in the city's best interest.

“This is a great day for the city of Houston and a great day for Harris County,” said Councilman James Rodriguez, in whose district on the east side of downtown the stadium will be built.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6947815.html

3rd Coast Tiger
April 7th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Tiger Stadium will be the envy of the SWC and SLC. xnodx

TexasTerror
April 7th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Tiger Stadium will be the envy of the SWC and SLC. xnodx

One of the few things we can agree on - name withstanding...but, I'd also add FCS.

http://www.glenndavissoccer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/dynamosign.jpg

TSU going to be able to operate the video board as well?

3rd Coast Tiger
April 7th, 2010, 04:31 PM
TSU going to be able to operate the video board as well?

Of course.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Harris County signs off on Dynamo stadium deal

By CHRIS MORAN Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
April 13, 2010, 12:32PM

Harris County Commissioners Court approved the framework of a deal today to become a partner in a $95 million professional soccer stadium project east of downtown Houston.

Under the deal, approved by the Houston City Council last week, the city and county would contribute $10 million each toward infrastructure for a Dynamo stadium and $7.5 million each for purchase of the land. The Dynamo has committed to spending $60 million to construct a stadium.

As Dynamo fan Eric Nordstrom described it, “Fix the roads, we'll build the house.”

County Judge Ed Emmett emphasized that the Dynamo deal differs sharply from past stadium projects in which taxpayers picked up a much greater share of the tab.

“This is a team building its own stadium,” Emmett said.

Nor does the Dynamo deal cost any general fund money, Emmett and other county officials reaffirmed. Instead, a redevelopment zone will be created around the stadium so that future increases in tax receipts in the neighborhood will be funneled back into the project.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...c/6956695.html

TexasTerror
April 13th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Harris County Commissioners Court approved the framework of a deal today to become a partner in a $95 million professional soccer stadium project east of downtown Houston.

Under the deal, approved by the Houston City Council last week, the city and county would contribute $10 million each toward infrastructure for a Dynamo stadium and $7.5 million each for purchase of the land. The Dynamo has committed to spending $60 million to construct a stadium.

Glad to see yet another hurdle has been overcome with the Dynamo Stadium.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 13th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Groundbreaking in October 2010. I'll be there with my shovel and hard hat!

TexasTerror
April 13th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Groundbreaking in October 2010. I'll be there with my shovel and hard hat!

What is the construction timetable? If 'groundbreaking' is October '10, can they have it ready for March, April of '12 for that MLS season?

TexasTerror
May 5th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Economic impact will be good for Dynamo Stadium neighbors...

Standing outside the Texas Bar-B-Que House, owner Gus Symeonidis can see beyond the dilapidated lot across Texas Avenue and Dowling Street and envision a renaissance in this part of the East End.

For 33 years, Symeonidis has owned the 56-year-old barbecue restaurant. A decade ago, he saw firsthand how erecting a stadium nearby meant a boon for the area across Highway 59 from his business.

Before Minute Maid Park opened in 2000 as Enron Field, Symeonidis' restaurant got a lot of business from construction workers on the project. In all likelihood, the Dynamo's new stadium will create a similar if not stronger impact from the day of the groundbreaking ceremony later this year to beyond the venue's opening in the spring of 2012.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/6990286.html

TexasTerror
August 2nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
This is from last week, but still relevant...

The Houston Dynamo's soccer-specific stadium, which will also be utilized a few times a year by Texas Southern, will be opening in June 2012. Do find it interesting that the Dynamo would play their first two months primarily on the road with a "big game or two" in Reliant prior to a true home opener at the new facility...

Nothing on TSU in the article...but a June opening would allow them to have no problems for football in September. Curious who TSU will get for the opener - will it be the Labor Day Classic (is '12 TSU's year?) or another marquee opponent?

HOUSTON - Tim Leiweke, president and CEO of Anschutz Entertainment Group, co-owners of the Houston Dynamo, told FOX 26 Sports Wednesday the team's new downtown soccer-specific stadium will open in June of 2012.

This is the first time Dynamo ownership has been able to nail down when the stadium will officially open.

"We're going to move in by June of 2012," said Leiweke. "So the paperwork is being wrapped up. Every agreement is being signed. We're out (Wednesday night) starting to sell the naming rights. Our bids are in. Our design is done. We hired a construction team. We hired a project manager.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/local/100728-dynamo%27s-new-stadium-to-open-june_2012

TSUalum05
August 2nd, 2010, 07:26 PM
This is from last week, but still relevant...

The Houston Dynamo's soccer-specific stadium, which will also be utilized a few times a year by Texas Southern, will be opening in June 2012. Do find it interesting that the Dynamo would play their first two months primarily on the road with a "big game or two" in Reliant prior to a true home opener at the new facility...

Nothing on TSU in the article...but a June opening would allow them to have no problems for football in September. Curious who TSU will get for the opener - will it be the Labor Day Classic (is '12 TSU's year?) or another marquee opponent?

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/local/100728-dynamo%27s-new-stadium-to-open-june_2012

Nonthing on TSU? Evidently you didn't read the entire article because the next paragraph the CEO mentioned TSU:

"This is a $110 million dollar project. We've have a cost-certainty on budget. Now we get on with the task of making sure that we protect the best interests of the Dynamo and TSU."

Furthermore, its seems as though you're trying to belittle our involvement with XXX and Tiger Stadium by saying the few games a year. We have A LOT more involved than a FEW FOOTBALL Games.

In another piece of the article TSU is mentioned again:

"Texas Southern University is a PARTNER with the Dynamo on the project and the school will play its home football games in the new stadium."

You'll be pleasantly shocked to find out what else is involved with the Dynamo - Tiger Partnership.

TexasTerror
August 2nd, 2010, 07:37 PM
Nonthing on TSU? Evidently you didn't read the entire article because the next paragraph the CEO mentioned TSU:

I was referencing to NO new news on TSU and more notably, how TSU will 'kick off' in the stadium, sorry if it was taken the wrong way.

We're all aware of TSU's involvement. 3rd Coast has told us all about it and even dubbed the stadium "Tiger Stadium" as a joke, though rightfully so, because if it weren't for TSU - this thing would not have the political backing to come to fruition. Was hoping they'd say that TSU is scheduled to open the stadium with PVAMU or what not.

WestCoastAggie
August 2nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Big ups to sTu and PV A&M with the news about their prospective new stadiums. I hope everything works out for both schools.

TexasTerror
August 6th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Where is TSU playing their games this year besides Houston ISD's Delmar Stadium and Butler Stadium. Where's the other one vs Valley?

Any additional word on the 2012 opening and who the first game will be, if it is not the LDC? Isn't 2011 your year to host and 2012 is PV's?

TSUalum05
August 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Where is TSU playing their games this year besides Houston ISD's Delmar Stadium and Butler Stadium. Where's the other one vs Valley?

Any additional word on the 2012 opening and who the first game will be, if it is not the LDC? Isn't 2011 your year to host and 2012 is PV's?

TSU SID is best equipped to answer these questions. Rodney Bush [email protected] 713-313-7603

TexasTerror
August 7th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Q&A with one of the big wigs with the Dynamo...

Mentions naming rights for the stadium (does TSU get a cut of that?). And the time frame for the stadium - another mention of the June '12 date.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/7143504.html

TSUalum05
August 7th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Q&A with one of the big wigs with the Dynamo...

Mentions naming rights for the stadium (does TSU get a cut of that?). And the time frame for the stadium - another mention of the June '12 date.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/7143504.html

That question would be better if posed to the Athletic Director and/or the General Counsels office instead of on AGS. That's a question I believe Charles would answer.

TexasTerror
August 7th, 2010, 05:59 PM
There's numerous questions that could OR should be asked to an AD instead of posted on here (from numerous schools). Figured 3rd Coast Tiger would have some perspective, since he's been such a valuable resource in the past.

Dane96
August 8th, 2010, 10:10 AM
That question would be better if posed to the Athletic Director and/or the General Counsels office instead of on AGS. That's a question I believe Charles would answer.

Gotta be frank...you're kind of a jackal.

I am not a huge fan of TT...but the guy always tries to post articles and comment on schools for the benefit of those who either aren't familiar with situations or because he is trying to bring more info to a known situation. He can defend himself...but your responses are third gradeish.

We can all call up the AD...but if someone has some knowledge, they usually post it. That is what TT is looking for here...and frankly, so are many of the rest of us.

117 posts and calling people out...LOVE IT. (sarcasm).

Good luck TSU with the new stadium...it really will be a boon to the school (and to MLS according to Don Garber...I e-mailed him...(sarcasm).

TSUalum05
August 8th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Gotta be frank...you're kind of a jackal.

I am not a huge fan of TT...but the guy always tries to post articles and comment on schools for the benefit of those who either aren't familiar with situations or because he is trying to bring more info to a known situation. He can defend himself...but your responses are third gradeish.

We can all call up the AD...but if someone has some knowledge, they usually post it. That is what TT is looking for here...and frankly, so are many of the rest of us.

117 posts and calling people out...LOVE IT. (sarcasm).

Good luck TSU with the new stadium...it really will be a boon to the school (and to MLS according to Don Garber...I e-mailed him...(sarcasm).

I'll get really third gradiesh with you and call you out with my 117 post now 118 -- calling me a Jackal is a personal attack and not in accordance with the TOS: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/announcement.php?f=2

Please don't tell anyone, but I'm am actually a fan of TT because he does provide information be it positive or negative and brings up a lot of thought provoking questions.

I do not have the knowledge regarding the the financial matters with Tiger / Dynamo Stadium so I gave him an outlet obtain the information. Me personally, I know plenty of details regarding our new staduim and the benifits associated with this partnership but I do not care to know if we are receiving a cut of the naming rights, so I decided not to contact the AD for TT and provide him with a resource.

I wonder if Don Garber will respond or one of his assistants who responds to your email (sarcasm).

Panther88
August 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I'll get really third gradiesh with you and call you out with my 117 post now 118 -- calling me a Jackal is a personal attack and not in accordance with the TOS: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/announcement.php?f=2

But watch the one-sided admins, who refer to themselves as "head coach" or referee or what not, not do a single thing about it other than attempt to reprimand me for calling their insipidity & lack of testosteronal fortitude out w/ my current posts. Those will be the ONLY keystrokes and calories they waste regarding this bored. lol

BTW, I agree w/ you regarding TT. He does provide insight and provokes thought if one is mutually objective REGARDLESS of whatever underlying motivation(s) he may present.

Dane96
August 8th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Please don't tell anyone, but I'm am actually a fan of TT because he does provide information be it positive or negative and brings up a lot of thought provoking questions.

I do not have the knowledge regarding the the financial matters with Tiger / Dynamo Stadium so I gave him an outlet obtain the information. Me personally, I know plenty of details regarding our new staduim and the benifits associated with this partnership but I do not care to know if we are receiving a cut of the naming rights, so I decided not to contact the AD for TT and provide him with a resource.

I wonder if Don Garber will respond or one of his assistants who responds to your email (sarcasm).

First of all, it is not a personal attack. If I called you a bear...or a lion...or any animal...would it have made a difference. And yes, Jackals are animals. And yes, after lord knows how many years on this site I know what a personal attack is and isnt.

In any event...good luck on your new stadium

Panther88
August 8th, 2010, 04:57 PM
First of all, it is not a personal attack. If I called you a bear...or a lion...or any animal...would it have made a difference. And yes, Jackals are animals. And yes, after lord knows how many years on this site I know what a personal attack is and isnt.

Don't worry Dane96, you got away w/ the personal attack. :-) The insipids that be, who refer to themselves as impartial admins lol (what a freaking joooooooooooooooooooooooke), won't do anything about it other than attempt to respond to me and what I've stated as truth.

They'll be responding below VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV.

L...........O...............L :D

bjtheflamesfan
August 8th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Alright you guys...first off...we arent six year olds anymore...so namecalling of any sort will not be tolerated...and to Panther88...we have enough fires to put out as is without you having to start anymore...

bjtheflamesfan
August 8th, 2010, 05:55 PM

would it have made any difference...yes...because its still namecalling

bjtheflamesfan
August 8th, 2010, 06:03 PM
But watch the one-sided admins, who refer to themselves as "head coach" or referee or what not, not do a single thing about it other than attempt to reprimand me for calling their insipidity & lack of testosteronal fortitude out w/ my current posts. Those will be the ONLY keystrokes and calories they waste regarding this bored. lol

BTW, I agree w/ you regarding TT. He does provide insight and provokes thought if one is mutually objective REGARDLESS of whatever underlying motivation(s) he may present.

youve got PM 88

Rob Iola
August 8th, 2010, 06:07 PM

You're probably right, especially with that Head Linesman character, but I hear that Side Judge is a fair impartial arbiter who really works hard to make the board a better place for all posters - plus I hear he's a really good-looking guy as well...

bjtheflamesfan
August 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Hey Rob dont sprain your shoulder patting yourself on the back...although I hear that SIde Judge is a pretty nice guy too (I wont speak to his looks having never met him)

Side Judge
August 8th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Hey Rob dont sprain your shoulder patting yourself on the back...although I hear that SIde Judge is a pretty nice guy too (I wont speak to his looks having never met him)

Careful there BJ - you're coming dangerously close to the dreaded "smack on the discussion board" warning...

Besides, man-boobs are in these days...

bjtheflamesfan
August 8th, 2010, 06:19 PM
No smack intended sir...

Rob Iola
August 8th, 2010, 06:20 PM
No smack intended sir...
None taken...

Side Judge
August 8th, 2010, 06:21 PM
No smack intended sir...
I mean, uh, none taken...

bjtheflamesfan
August 8th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I will admit I can be a bit of a hardapple at times, but I really do want to be impartial as best I can, I just dont take too kindly to folks hammering the mod team because they are doin the best they can. I know that the SWAC fans probably feel like they got a raw deal and Im sure there is some truth to it...but give us a chance...Rome wasnt built in a day and you certainly cant reverse a culture in a day either

TexasTerror
August 17th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Construction underway...???

Although the deal hasn't been finalized, a drive down Dowling quickly reveals that the city already is working on infrastructure for the Dynamo's new stadium.

On Tuesday there were multiple CenterPoint Energy trucks on the site of the Dynamo's proposed new stadium on the East End.

Moreover, there are several construction trucks and what appears to be material for underground pillars.

http://blogs.chron.com/soccer/archives/2010/08/work_already_un.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Fsoccer+%28 Soccer+y+Futbol%29

Sly Fox
August 18th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Glad to see this moving forward. It is tough to get motivated to take my kids to see Dynamo games at Robertson.

3rd Coast Tiger
August 18th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Glad to see this moving forward. It is tough to get motivated to take my kids to see Dynamo games at Robertson.

Because the stadium is trimmed in red? xconfusedx

TexasTerror
August 18th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Because the stadium is trimmed in red? xconfusedx

The new Dynamo Stadium will have plenty of orange! :)

TSUalum05
August 18th, 2010, 06:06 PM
The new Dynamo Stadium will have plenty of orange! :)

I have not seen the color schemes but I would imagine there will be plenty of orange. Heck, we are getting a nearly 100 million stadium to be used at our disposal for 2 million. I wouldn't mind if they painted it pink and green especially considering where we are coming from as far as staduims.

TexasTerror
August 18th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I have not seen the color schemes but I would imagine there will be plenty of orange. Heck, we are getting a nearly 100 million stadium to be used at our disposal for 2 million. I wouldn't mind if they painted it pink and green especially considering where we are coming from as far as staduims.

Are there any SWAC foes that use primarily orange? I don't seem to recall it...which is a good thing, if accurate.

Perhaps TSU can do a home-and-home with SHSU, so we can feel like the home team at the new Dynamo Stadium! ;)

TSUalum05
August 18th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Perhaps TSU can do a home-and-home with SHSU, so we can feel like the home team at the new Dynamo Stadium! ;)

LOL

3rd Coast Tiger
August 19th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Nahh... you don't have to worry about that; I'm making sure that won't happen. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
August 19th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Nahh... you don't have to worry about that; I'm making sure that won't happen. xthumbsupx

Yep...probably would negatively impact recruiting if TSU posted similar results to their most recent SLC contests infront of a hometown crowd.

3rd Coast Tiger
August 20th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Yep...probably would negatively impact recruiting if TSU posted similar results to their most recent SLC contests infront of a hometown crowd.

How did you know that's the reason? You're such a wealth of knowledge xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

TexasTerror
August 24th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Some more good news...though not exactly football or futbol-related. More tied into the facility's ability to raise money through other avenues not football or futbol..

Houston - FOX 26 Sports has learned the Houston Dynamo and Toyota Center have reached a verbal agreement on the principle issues concerning the building's non-compete clause with the City of Houston and the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority that will insure the Dynamo's new downtown soccer stadium will be built as planned without interruption.

Toyota Center, which is managed by the Houston Rockets, has a non-compete clause in its contracts with the city and the Sports Authority, that was signed in 2003, which does not allow those entities to get involved in the building of an arena that would host music events for more than 5000 people within ten miles of downtown until 2013.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/100822-dynamo%2C-toyota-center-reach-deal

TexasTerror
February 3rd, 2011, 08:58 PM
More... including pics!

A diamond-like façade and luxury suites just 11 rows from the field are among the highlights of the renderings for the Dynamo’s stadium the team unveiled Thursday afternoon.

“You create diamonds now out of carbon, and we’re creating sort of a diamond of a stadium out of steel and concrete,” said Loren Supp of Populous, the international firm that designed the stadium. “You can see it in the skin. It’s a mesh. It’s tessellated. It completely wraps the stadium.”

The Dynamo, who are investing $60 million into the stadium they will share with the Texas Southern football team, hope to open the stadium in April 2012.

The Harris County-Houston Sports Authority negotiated the lease with the Dynamo on behalf of the city and county, and Sports Authority chairman Kenny Friedman liked what he saw.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/7411870.html

http://images.chron.com/photos/2011/02/03/25034807/600xPopupGallery.jpg

Hmmm... Dynamo Stadium? ;)

http://images.chron.com/photos/2011/02/03/25035129/600xPopupGallery.jpg

slycat
February 5th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Sweet! Very nice stadium. Hope the football stripes are minimal for the soccer games.

TexasTerror
February 6th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Sweet! Very nice stadium. Hope the football stripes are minimal for the soccer games.

I agree... not much mention of TSU football outside of a line in the article regarding the groundbreaking...

Driving up to the site on the East End on Saturday afternoon, Dynamo coach Dominic Kinnear smiled as he surveyed the crowd of over 2,000 waiting to celebrate the groundbreaking for the team’s new stadium.

More than five years after relocating from San Jose, Kinnear was eager to share the franchise’s greatest off-the-field accomplishment with its loyal orange-clad fans.

“I’m happy for them,” Kinnear said. “About six years ago, they were soccer-starved. They were given a team and organization, and they supported us. They are a part of this. For this to come to them, they obviously take part and pride in this.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/7414868.html

TSUalum05
February 6th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Here's the quote sheet with some mentioning of TSU but yes -- this is more about the Dynamo seeing as though they contributed upward of 60 million and we contributed 2 million for a staduim -- there is a lot of info that will come regarding the positive impact of the stadium for TSU, SWAC, and the FCS community. :D

http://www.houston11soccer.com/2011/02/dynamo-stadium-groundbreaking.html

TexasTerror
February 6th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Here's the quote sheet with some mentioning of TSU but yes -- this is more about the Dynamo seeing as though they contributed upward of 60 million and we contributed 2 million for a staduim -- there is a lot of info that will come regarding the positive impact of the stadium for TSU, SWAC, and the FCS community. :D

Are they planning on moving the SWAC title game to Houston?

Seems that Houston would be a large base of SWAC support with tons of alumni in the vicinity, particularly from the two Texas schools and the Louisiana schools. The Dynamo are out of season at that time as well - which works well.

Doubt the Div I national title game would move down there due to the lack of SWAC participation and the fact the NCAA was not too happy the last time the SWAC or a SWAC institution hosted a NCAA championship (per the SWAC columnist at the time).

Sly Fox
February 7th, 2011, 09:27 AM
The SWAC has had attempts to move championships into its largest market a number of times. Clearly the league values the Bayou City. I would be surprised if the SWAC Championship Game is not announced before the stadium is completed.

And let's be honest, the level of interest from the general public in Houston as a whole is much higher for the Dynamo than TSU. But neither is more than a blip on the radar screen in comparison to the pro teams & UH.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 11th, 2011, 07:48 AM
http://www.tsu.edu/Images/athletics/men-sports/football/Football_pictures_2010-11/newstadiumgrndbk20511.jpg

FB: TSU and the Dynamo Breakground on New Stadium
Subtitle: Let the work begin!
Date: Saturday, February 5, 2011
Teaser:

Dynamo President Chris Canetti, Harris County Judge Ed Emmett, TSU President Dr. John M. Rudley, Houston Mayor Annise Parker, TSU AD Dr. Charles McClelland before groundbreaking ceremony

Story:
On a perfect day for football, the weather was gorgeous and the sun was shining on Texas Southern Athletics and the Houston Dynamo as they broke ground to their new home in grand-fashion on Saturday.

Texas Southern President Dr. John M. Rudely and Athletic Director Dr. Charles McClelland were joined by Mayor Annise Parker, County Judge Ed Emmett and a multitude of VIPs from the Dynamos and Houston Sports Authority were on hand to break ground.

“It is probably one of the most exillerating days as [an] athletics director to be able to take part of a project this monumental, not only for the City of Houston but Texas Southern University…it is overwhelming,” said McClelland. “We still have a lot of work to do. We are not out the woods yet. But, where we were and where we are now is truly remarkable.”

Texas Southern contributed $1.5 million dollars for the right to the new stadium home for the Tigers football team for next thirty years. The Dynamo is footing majority of the bill, contributing $60 million of the $90 million dollar stadium.

The stadium will be located in the East End district across from the George R. Brown Convetion Center. It will hold 22,000 fans. Five locker rooms will be built, one for the Dynamo, one for TSU football, and the others for the visiting teams. It will host MLS soccer matches, TSU football, and if Oscar De La Hoya haves it his way, boxing matches as well.

“This is a perfect example of when you come together and unified over the needs of the community good things happen,” said City of Houston Mayor Annise Parker. “We were able to partnership with an institution as historic and iconic as Texas Southern University, what better way to translate what America is about.”

http://www.tsu.edu/pages/2922.asp?view=news&nid=10642

TexasTerror
February 11th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I really like the idea of boxing matches at the facility... think they could be quite the draw and as one of those articles had mentioned previously, a great opportunity for cross-promotion of product.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2011, 07:59 AM
New article...

On a tour of the site at this point, it takes only a bit of imagination to envision what it will feel like to watch a game at the Dynamo's new stadium. The stadium's southwest corner's seat risers have been set, outlining the seating bowl.

With about 250 full-time construction workers on site, the new stadium on the East End is starting to take shape and is on target to be complete on May 5.

http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/article/Dynamo-s-stadium-construction-moving-right-along-2173191.php

Sly Fox
September 16th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I read that last night as well. I am curious to drive by the stadium this next week when I'm working downtown. It looks like it is going to be quite the showplace. Still amazed TSU was able to use their political ties to muscle their way into the joint. Houston has some crazy politics sometimes.

3rd Coast Tiger
September 16th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Dynamo former president (Oliver Luck) actually approached us about the partnership Sly Fox.
We were actually at that time looking to making major expansion renovations to our on campus Durley Field.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Dynamo former president (Oliver Luck) actually approached us about the partnership Sly Fox.
We were actually at that time looking to making major expansion renovations to our on campus Durley Field.

Luck was struggling to get the Dynamo stadium through...

Adding Texas Southern, added political muscle and further minority support for the project...

TSU got a helluva deal and will benefit from the Dynamo's need for a stadium... though no question TSU needed a stadium too!

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Naming rights sold... does TSU get a cut? Either way, good for the Dynamo and their stability!

BBVA Compass Stadium will be the name of the Dynamo's new home, a person close to the deal confirmed Tuesday night.

BBVA Compass, an international bank with dozens of branches in Houston, has signed a 10-year, $20 million naming rights deal on the Dynamo's new stadium, which will open on May 12, 2012.

http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/article/BBVA-Compass-acquires-naming-rights-to-new-Dynamo-2401086.php

Sly Fox
December 14th, 2011, 11:20 AM
No, TSU doesn't get a cut as a tenant. Frankly I am surprised they were able to sell the naming right for such a hefty figure in this economy. Incidentally the facility looks sweet from my view as I pass by on 59. I can't wait to check out a Dynamo game there this spring.

TheRevSFA
December 14th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I guess Bimbo Breads didn't make a good enough offer...

ccd494
September 29th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Pulling up an old thread, but reviews from around the MLS blogosphere on BBVAs field involve the words "amateur" "unplayable" and "torn to ****" since TSU started their season.

As an MLS fan, man did Philly dodge a bullet in the Villanova situation.

HailSzczur
September 29th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Pulling up an old thread, but reviews from around the MLS blogosphere on BBVAs field involve the words "amateur" "unplayable" and "torn to ****" since TSU started their season.

As an MLS fan, man did Philly dodge a bullet in the Villanova situation.

The Son's of Ben were none too pleased to have us there for 1 game, let alone a season. It's a shame because the Dynamo have such a nice stadium there. The differences in the way the field is used and how it wears makes football and soccer very difficult to play on the same field/pitch. This was one of the many reasons the MLs started their campaign to play in soccer specific stadiums.

Luckily we played Houston at home last week and shelled them 3-1