PDA

View Full Version : Redshirts to Look Forward to in 2006

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2005, 10:35 AM
What redshirts from this past year should we look forward to in 2006?

From the SLC, the two I'm thinking will be huge...

SHSU
Desmond Mays, 6'0", 225, RB
Two-time Texas Class A State Player of the Year. Rushed for over 2500 yards in each his Jr and Sr seasons. Turned down some Div I schools that wanted him at FB because he wanted to play RB. He's from Normangee, not too far north of Huntsville.

TxSt
Bradley George, 6'6", 220, QB
Played some minor league baseball in the Reds organization after being a 12th round pick. He was born in 1982, so he's about four, five years late hitting the field. A Chris Weinke-type. "As a senior at Canyon, ranked 10th in Class 4A in passing, completing 110 of 185 passes for 1,755 yards ... also rushed for over 400 yards and 10 touchdowns...was a member of the Texas Top 100 in football"

ngineer
December 31st, 2005, 12:24 PM

SHSU
Two-time Texas Class A State Player of the Year. Rushed for over 2500 yards in each his Jr and Sr seasons. Turned down some Div I schools that wanted him at FB because he wanted to play RB. He's from Normangee, not too far north of Huntsville.

TxSt
Played some minor league baseball in the Reds organization after being a 12th round pick. He was born in 1982, so he's about four, five years late hitting the field. A Chris Weinke-type. "As a senior at Canyon, ranked 10th in Class 4A in passing, completing 110 of 185 passes for 1,755 yards ... also rushed for over 400 yards and 10 touchdowns...was a member of the Texas Top 100 in football"

Patriot League does not allow Red Shirts. Only exception is during a player's career, if he suffers season ending injury in the very early part of the season, he can apply for a 'medical redshirt' that the League has to approve.
Lehigh's stud fullback Greg Fay and defensive tackle Royce Morgan are eligible for another season, though they could graduate this year.

Mr. C
December 31st, 2005, 12:40 PM
Jacque Roman of Appalachian State was the talk of the Mountaineers' camp this summer and was the best player on the field in ASU's final scrimmage in August. He is 6-1, 240 and very fast at linebacker and will be a freshman next season. Even though ASU returns most of its linebackers, Roman is probably the most talented one they have. He has the potential to be the best linebacker the Mountaineers have had since Dexter Coakley.

Zac Amedro will be Trey Elder's backup at QB as a redshirt freshman. He had a great high school career in West Virginia. The Mountaineers would like to get a medical redshirt for defensive end Austin Guarino, a talented defensive end. Guarino suffered a pretty bad knee injury and missed the season after redshirting in 2004. If he recovers from the injury, the 6-2, 235-pound defender would be the heir apparant to playoff MVP Jason Hunter. There are also some good receivers who have been redshirted.

I heard that Furman redshirted some very fast receivers and also have a very good, strong-armed, young QB waiting in the wings. He will be a freshman behind Reynaldo Gray. Hopefully, some of our Furman posters can add some more info.

carney2
December 31st, 2005, 01:52 PM
My understanding is that Lafayette's no. 2 and 3 receivers, Joe Ort and Archie Fisher have been granted medical redshirts and will be back for one more year. With the no. 1 guy, Brandon Stanford, being quite capably replaced by freshman Shaun Adair, the recieving corps should be OK.

Cocky
December 31st, 2005, 03:30 PM
LeMarcus Rowell LB Jacksonville State will be a Senior and an NFL prospect.

Cocky
December 31st, 2005, 03:31 PM
LeMarcus Rowell LB Jacksonville State will be a Senior and a NFL prospect.

WCU LawCat
December 31st, 2005, 04:11 PM
Quency Marshall LB/DL at WCU.

Was recruited by Georgia Tech. Voted to the Georgia Coaches Choice team in HS. Came to WCU to play with his cousin, current Catamount Felipe Foster (all SoCon).

Tribe4SF
December 31st, 2005, 04:31 PM
Redshirt freshmen to watch for the Tribe will include...

OG C.J. Muse..6'4" 310..Lexington, SC

OT John Ferrante..6'6" 315..Frederick, MD

OT Thomas McCutcheon..6'5" 330..Chesapeake, VA

TE Rob Varno..6'5" 230..Wilmington, NC

QB R.J. Archer..6'2" 198..Earlysville, VA

DE C.J. Herbert..6'4" 260..Germantown, MD

DE Sean Lissemore..6'4" 250..Dumont, NJ

LB Raphael Bynum..5'10" 225..Stafford, VA

DB Drew Letcavage..6' 200..Kulpmont, PA

DB Fred Johnson..6'1" 190..Richmond, VA

DB Sheldon Alexander..6'1" 205..Gordonsville, VA

Two LBs returning from redshirt years as seniors are Travis McLaurin and Chris Ndubueze. Both are former all A-10 players.

Back2Back05
December 31st, 2005, 04:57 PM
My understanding is that Lafayette's no. 2 and 3 receivers, Joe Ort and Archie Fisher have been granted medical redshirts and will be back for one more year. With the no. 1 guy, Brandon Stanford, being quite capably replaced by freshman Shaun Adair, the recieving corps should be OK.

Fisher and Ort will return along with Adair, but Stanfords exit will be a big loss to the receiving core as well as the punt return game. Tough to replace a kid with that kind of quickness and toughness for a guy his size.

blackfordpu
December 31st, 2005, 05:16 PM

SHSU

TxSt

I am looking forward to seeing what Mays can do. A lot of the Bearkat faithful have been talking a lot about this kid.

MR. CHICKEN
December 31st, 2005, 08:18 PM
Redshirt freshmen to watch for the Tribe will include...

OG C.J. Muse..6'4" 310..Lexington, SC

OT John Ferrante..6'6" 315..Frederick, MD

OT Thomas McCutcheon..6'5" 330..Chesapeake, VA

TE Rob Varno..6'5" 230..Wilmington, NC

QB R.J. Archer..6'2" 198..Earlysville, VA

DE C.J. Herbert..6'4" 260..Germantown, MD

DE Sean Lissemore..6'4" 250..Dumont, NJ

LB Raphael Bynum..5'10" 225..Stafford, VA

DB Drew Letcavage..6' 200..Kulpmont, PA

DB Fred Johnson..6'1" 190..Richmond, VA

DB Sheldon Alexander..6'1" 205..Gordonsville, VA

Two LBs returning from redshirt years as seniors are Travis McLaurin and Chris Ndubueze. Both are former all A-10 players.

HOW MANY QB'S......ya'll sittin' on!.........:confused:...........BRAWK!

Mr. C
December 31st, 2005, 09:45 PM
LeMarcus Rowell LB Jacksonville State will be a Senior and a NFL prospect.
Has Rowell regained his eligibility?

slostang
December 31st, 2005, 09:58 PM
Cal Poly redshirted all of their incoming freshman class with the exception of DL Sean Lawyer. They all look promising but the ones that look to make an impact next year are:

Danny Rohr - LB 6'1" 225 lbs.
He was third team all-state selection in football and he won State last year in the shot put. He also had the second longest throw in the nation in the discuss last year. There is a lot of talk that he is in the Jordan Beck mold.

Jon Hall - WR/FB 6'3" 235 lbs.
He caught 73 passes for 1,169 yards and 13 TDs as a senior. He may move to fullback. He is big, fast and has great hands.

Carlton Gillespie - DE 6'1" 245 lbs.
He had 19 sacks and 83 tackles as a senior for one of the better High School teams in California, St Bontaventure. He was a three year starter for St Bontaventure. Extremely fast and athletic. He will be looked on to help with the loss of Chris Gocong.

Ryan Shotwell - DE 6'3" 225 lbs.
He had 81 tackles and 9 sacks on defense and also played fullback as a senior last year. He is the brother of Cal Poly LB Kyle Shotwell who led the Mustangs in tackles this year with 158. He will also looked upon to help fill the loss of Chris Gocong.

Redshirt freshmen played a big role this year for Cal Poly. By the end of the year the Mustangs started five on offense and one on defense. Three were all conference and one, RB James Noble, was offensive POY for the GWFC and named to many All-American teams. Hopefully this years redshirts can have that kind of impact next year.

umassfan
January 1st, 2006, 02:41 AM
I just have one name that alot of A10 teams will see for the next four years... Tony Nelson... he was a prize recruite for I-AA last season after getting shafted by Clemson. He will be fighting for the backup roll to Baylark but I think he is our back of the future. He redshirted this season because he wasnt cleared to play till the season started.

youwouldno
January 1st, 2006, 02:58 AM
Furman had a monster recruiting class last year and most of it redshirted. Main guys to watch for 2006 are Webb, LaFrance and the 2 DTs. Here are some of the guys that could make a difference:

Offense

Receiver-- RJ Webb (6'3, 200) and Keiron Williams (6'0, 180) are both big-time athletes and playmakers. Webb probably will make the bigger impact in 2006... Gray isn't the passer Martin was so Webb's physicality will be valuable in the short to intermediate passing game, and also in red zone situations.

The Paladins also have two big-time TE prospects coming off redshirt years: Chris Truss (6'4, 245) and Larry Hedden (6'5, 250). Both are solid athletes, with Truss the better blocker and Hedden the better receiver.

Running back-- three guys to watch here. Stephone LaFrance (6'1, 210) is explosive and has unlimited potential. At one combine his senior year of HS, he ran a 4.45 with that size. Gipson and Felton will get most of the carries, but LaFrance will make noise. Mark Standridge (5'9, 180) is a very skilled back, probably more sound technically than LaFrance but with a bit less speed. Tharry Salley (6'2, 220) will provide depth at FB... he's not real fast but, like Felton, punishes defenses.

QB-- Jordan Sorrells is the real deal, but will back up Renaldo Gray. How much PT he gets is unclear... I hope he gets thrown in there occasionally to confuse defenses.

OL-- the Paladins signed 4 O-linemen, 3 of whom were first-team all-state (one each AL, GA, SC) and the other was highly recruited (one OT did not redshirt). Even with Stewart and Covington graduating, Furman has a lot of O-line depth, so this group might not play a lot right away. OG Tyler Haynes (6'3, 290) could be a factor.

Defense

DL-- problem area for the Paladins in 2005. DTs Corey Ray (6'2, 275) and Justin Brown (5'11, 270) redshirted and will see time on the field. Ray has the higher ceiling but Brown is a fearless, aggressive player that could cause defenses some trouble. DE BJ Williams (6'3, 235) has potential.

LB-- Though William Freeman departs, there is a lot of LB depth already. The most noteworthy redshirt is Shaun Van Rensberg (6'4, 220), who is an elite prospect that kept his Furman commitment even though Ga Tech offered at the last minute. Even then we only got him because he was injured most of his senior year and didn't play much LB at the Bolles School (FL). Phillip Morris (6'2, 225) and Kyle McKinney (6'1, 240) are talented but won't play much in 2006.

DS-- only redshirt in the secondary was S/CB John Castleberry (6'1, 185). Best chance at PT will be CB but I'm not sure if he has the agility to excel at that position.

Cocky
January 1st, 2006, 09:36 AM
Has Rowell regained his eligibility?

Everything I'm told indicates he will be back and eligible.

NSUDemon98
January 1st, 2006, 11:03 AM
NSU redshirted QB Sean Santos-Santos was the first freshmen to start at QB in the Catholic league of New Orleans in 10 years. His senior season he broke Peyton Manning's all-time passing yardage record.

We have been without a capable QB for several years and many of us are anxious to see what Santos can do and what he could become.

fuEMO
January 1st, 2006, 11:30 AM
Furman had a monster recruiting class last year and most of it redshirted. Main guys to watch for 2006 are Webb, LaFrance and the 2 DTs. Here are some of the guys that could make a difference:

Offense

Receiver-- RJ Webb (6'3, 200) and Keiron Williams (6'0, 180) are both big-time athletes and playmakers. Webb probably will make the bigger impact in 2006... Gray isn't the passer Martin was so Webb's physicality will be valuable in the short to intermediate passing game, and also in red zone situations.

The Paladins also have two big-time TE prospects coming off redshirt years: Chris Truss (6'4, 245) and Larry Hedden (6'5, 250). Both are solid athletes, with Truss the better blocker and Hedden the better receiver.

Running back-- three guys to watch here. Stephone LaFrance (6'1, 210) is explosive and has unlimited potential. At one combine his senior year of HS, he ran a 4.45 with that size. Gipson and Felton will get most of the carries, but LaFrance will make noise. Mark Standridge (5'9, 180) is a very skilled back, probably more sound technically than LaFrance but with a bit less speed. Tharry Salley (6'2, 220) will provide depth at FB... he's not real fast but, like Felton, punishes defenses.

QB-- Jordan Sorrells is the real deal, but will back up Renaldo Gray. How much PT he gets is unclear... I hope he gets thrown in there occasionally to confuse defenses.

OL-- the Paladins signed 4 O-linemen, 3 of whom were first-team all-state (one each AL, GA, SC) and the other was highly recruited (one OT did not redshirt). Even with Stewart and Covington graduating, Furman has a lot of O-line depth, so this group might not play a lot right away. OG Tyler Haynes (6'3, 290) could be a factor.

Defense

DL-- problem area for the Paladins in 2005. DTs Corey Ray (6'2, 275) and Justin Brown (5'11, 270) redshirted and will see time on the field. Ray has the higher ceiling but Brown is a fearless, aggressive player that could cause defenses some trouble. DE BJ Williams (6'3, 235) has potential.

LB-- Though William Freeman departs, there is a lot of LB depth already. The most noteworthy redshirt is Shaun Van Rensberg (6'4, 220), who is an elite prospect that kept his Furman commitment even though Ga Tech offered at the last minute. Even then we only got him because he was injured most of his senior year and didn't play much LB at the Bolles School (FL). Phillip Morris (6'2, 225) and Kyle McKinney (6'1, 240) are talented but won't play much in 2006.

DS-- only redshirt in the secondary was S/CB John Castleberry (6'1, 185). Best chance at PT will be CB but I'm not sure if he has the agility to excel at that position.

Couple of things to add here. Look for Van Rensburg to move to DE.
Also have heard that Salley is now 230ish, and ripped.

IMO Webb will be an impact player in 06, for our SoCon brothers imagine Richie Williams at receiver. Webb should return KO also. Williams is faster and his hands have gotten better, he could be lethal in the future but I think he will see limited/package playing time. These two guys do open up the possibility with Gray at QB for Furman to run some formations with slotbacks, damn I would love that. GSU goes away from the option and FU could start running more flex bone formations.

youwouldno
January 1st, 2006, 12:02 PM
Even at DE there are a lot of young guys already... Ravenell has another year, Artis two more, Burnett will move back outside, Mars is a good prospect, Williams is also. Not sure where van Rensberg will wind up.

carney2
January 1st, 2006, 03:39 PM
Fisher and Ort will return along with Adair, but Stanfords exit will be a big loss to the receiving core as well as the punt return game. Tough to replace a kid with that kind of quickness and toughness for a guy his size.

Agreed. IMO, Stanford was one of the 3 best Lafayette receivers of the past 20 years - Phil Ng and Phil Yarbrough being the other two. (If you want to throw John Weyrauch into the mix, I'm willing to argue with you.) Adair has the potential to be better than any of them. He also appears to be the heir apparent at kick returner.

Bub
January 1st, 2006, 05:33 PM
The Bulldogs redshirted the entire freshman class this year!

Kill'em
January 2nd, 2006, 01:42 AM
These two guys do open up the possibility with Gray at QB for Furman to run some formations with slotbacks, damn I would love that. GSU goes away from the option and FU could start running more flex bone formations.
Y'all taking hand-me-downs?

Seriously, I'm going to miss our spread option. :bawling:

Saint3333
January 2nd, 2006, 12:58 PM
Mr. C I assume the good WRs that ASU redshirted includes Reynoldo Hunter, who received offers from ACC caliber programs.

youwouldno
January 2nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
Didn't he have academic issues?

MR. CHICKEN
January 2nd, 2006, 03:27 PM
REDSHIRTS TA LOOK FORWARD TOO...IN 2006?.........WE PLAYED DEM ALL IN 2005!.......:splat:...........BRAWK!

BCisforBobcatTX
January 2nd, 2006, 05:18 PM
NSU redshirted QB Sean Santos-Santos was the first freshmen to start at QB in the Catholic league of New Orleans in 10 years. His senior season he broke Peyton Manning's all-time passing yardage record.

We have been without a capable QB for several years and many of us are anxious to see what Santos can do and what he could become.

Wasn't Vinson considered "capable" coming into this season?

Terror, ya'll excited about a class A boy? I'm looking forward to seeing him.

Mr. C
January 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
Mr. C I assume the good WRs that ASU redshirted includes Reynoldo Hunter, who received offers from ACC caliber programs.
Yes, Hunter is expected to be a good one. But the Mountaineers are swimming with talent at WR with Dexter Jackson, Hans Batichon, T.J. Courman and William Mayfield all back. I'm expecting Mayfield to have a breakthrough year next season as a senior.

Cocky
January 2nd, 2006, 06:20 PM
The entire Red-shirt list (ones I know of) not just one expecting to impact:
4 Eric Johns TE 6-3 240 Fr. Hortense, Ga
12 Shea Allen QB 6-0 190 Fr. Demorest, Ga.
15 Wes Henderson QB 6-1 190 Fr. Hazel Green, Ala.
20 Rashaad Montgomery CB 5-10 175 Fr. Calhoun, Ga.
26 Chris Sanders RB 6-2 205 So. Gadsden, Ala.
36 Brody Thomas FB 6-1 190 Fr. Anniston, Ala.
44 Josh Cain SAF 5-10 175 Fr. Wetumpka, Ala.
51 Landen Vickery OG 6-2 285 Fr. Maylene, Ala.
58 Matt Laird LB 5-10 209 Fr. Hoover, Ala.
59 Mike Lee OLB 6-1 210 Fr. Birmingham, Ala.
62 Bert Boddie OT 6-1 314 Fr. College Park, Ga.
64 Ross Donaldson OL 6-3 290 So. LaGrange, Ga.
72 Kendall Smith DL 5-11 256 Fr. Eight Mile, Ala.
74 Nate Landrum OL 6-2 270 Fr. Birmingham, Ala.
76 Wes Davis OG 6-4 315 Fr. Greensboro, Ala.
77 Matt Moreau OL 6-4 295 Fr. Ft. Walton Beach, Fla.
79 Matthew Shaffer DL 6-0 233 Fr. Gadsden, Ala.
84 Deonte Carter TE 6-4 238 Fr. Douglassville, Ga.
87 Alex Gainey WR 5-11 155 Fr. Macon, Ga.
98 Andrew Jackson NG 5-11 288 Fr. Milton, Fla.
DL Sean Darby Sr.

Darby should have an impact. The others are still unknowns at the college level but several will make good players.

I forgot to include LaMarcus Rowell LB Sr. I had listed him above but didn't list him this time.

spdram
January 2nd, 2006, 07:57 PM
University of Richmond, we are looking forward to the class as a whole:

Nicholas Battle DL 6'3" 220 (San Diego, CA)
William Bischof TE 6'3" 245 (Richmond, VA)
Max Crush OL 6'2" 300 (Catawba, VA) gotta love the name
Dusty Dean RB 6'0" 210 (Harrisonburg, VA)
Jared Decker DL 6'4" 250 (Parkersburg, WVA)
Justin Forte RB 5'9" 180 (Marietta, GA)
Khalil Graham LB 6'1" 220 (Brooklyn, NY)
Derek Hatcher DB 5'9" 175 (St Petersburg, FL)
David Horton DB 6'1" 185 (Macungie, PA)
Michael Ireland DB 5'11" 180 (Macungie, PA)
Chris Kondorossy OL 6'3" 275 (Belle Meade, NJ)
Michael Leoncyzk DB 5'11" 185 (Charlotte, NC)
Collin McConaghy LB 6'1" 235 (Madison Heights, VA)
Matthew McCracken OL 6'3" 280 (Pittsburgh, PA)
Parker Miles DL 6'4" 265 (Clearwater, FL)
Jordan Mitchell WR 6'1" 175 (Harrisburg, PA)
Hugh Nicholson OL 6'3" 310 (Richmond, Va) ? not sure if he stayed with us
Brian Radford K/P 6'2" 190 (Wilson, NC) younger brother of current kicker
Patrick Scanlan K 5'10" 175 (Vail, CO)
Michael Silva OL 6'5" 250 (Altamonte Springs, FL)
Pierre Turner DL 6'1" 225 (Lawrenceville, GA)
Eric Ward QB 6'3" 180 (Atlanta, GA)

GannonFan
January 3rd, 2006, 10:12 AM
UD gets co-captain Roger Brown back at CB after playing 2-3 game but then shutting it down and taking a medical redshirt - had something similar to what Donovan McNabb had this year. Who knows, maybe he can be captain for two years in a row now.

Other poster was right, many freshmen saw time as true freshmen last year. Guys who didn't of note are:

Scott Conley - OL - 6'3", 280 lbs (actually coming back off team enforced suspension for an unspecified rules violation - was a starter before last year)
Matt Hesseltine - OL - 6'6", 340 lbs
Corey Nicholson - OL - 6'2" 254 lbs
- Nicholson was going to burn his redshirt but got hurt in practice the week before he was going to play - ending up burning redshirt of another guy who actually played very well. All of these guys are added to a list of about 10 offensive linemen who should form a relatively strong offensive line for the Hens - definitely a strong spot for the team and a good blocking unit for Omar Cuff, who's only a junior next year).

Also,

Mark Duncan - WR - 5'10", 180 - apparently quite the speedster, but will have to challenge 3 returning sophomores as well as a supposedly good recruiting class this year.

ChickenMan
January 3rd, 2006, 10:57 AM
Add QB Joe Flacco to UD's list... Flacco is a transfer from Pitt... who was able to practice with the Hens... but was prohibited from playing because Dave Wannstedt refused to release him from his Pitt scholarship.

thadude45
January 3rd, 2006, 09:32 PM
Don't think that Santos (NwStateLa) will be the man this year or in years to come. Unless something drastic happens in his performance.

NSUDemon98
January 4th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Wasn't Vinson considered "capable" coming into this season?

Terror, ya'll excited about a class A boy? I'm looking forward to seeing him.

Well, I have always personally found him to be lacking when it came to throwing the ball. Handing off and running the ball he is pretty good but is the most inconsistent NSU QB in my memory.

Could have been a bad year...Nealy had them in 2002, 2003, 2004 but made up for it in 2005.

NSUDemon98
January 4th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Don't think that Santos (NwStateLa) will be the man this year or in years to come. Unless something drastic happens in his performance.

You mean NSU? Yeah, he most likely will be the backup...

DinoDex200
January 4th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Yes, Hunter is expected to be a good one. But the Mountaineers are swimming with talent at WR with Dexter Jackson, Hans Batichon, T.J. Courman and William Mayfield all back. I'm expecting Mayfield to have a breakthrough year next season as a senior.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Courman be the guy to spell K. Richardson every once in a while. He had something like 2000 yards rushing (albeit as an option QB) his Sr. year in HS. Either way, I'll bet he is the primary motion man who swings into the backfield for few carries, a la Jermaine Little and Brandon Turner.