PDA

View Full Version : SDSU Seeking to Expand Stadium

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Several write-ups on the subject...

South Dakota State University's athletic director, Justin Sell, calls this a year of exploration.

SDSU dreams of expanding Coughlin-Alumni Stadium's seating capacity from 10,000 to 22,700 with the potential to expand further to 40,000 if the need arises.

Of course, no one knows whether there's enough private financing - the only method available given the state's budget deficit - to make the dream real.

Credit: Argus Leader (http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100215/VOICES01/2150307/1052/OPINION01)

Information on the athletics master plan...

BROOKINGS - The rapid rise of South Dakota State University's athletic program means it's fast outgrowing its facilities, but a new master plan that includes expanding its stadium seating to almost 23,000 will rely mostly on the goodwill of its donors.

Late last week, Athletic Director Justin Sell was given an updated master plan created by Crawford Architects. The Kansas City, Mo.-based firm was hired in October to generate a vision for the next 20 years based on the needs and means of the state's largest university.

Credit: Argus Leader (http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100210/NEWS/2100329/1003/BUSINESS)

And more on the master plan...

South Dakota State officials have, in hand, their sports facilities master plan for the next 20 years.

A revamped Coughlin-Alumni Stadium with more than 22,000 seats and 25 luxury suites is the central piece, but it's not the entirety of the bold vision. The conceptual drawings recently completed by Crawford Architects of Kansas City, Mo., also include a towering fieldhouse, game arena for volleyball and wrestling and practice gyms for the basketball teams, among other facilities.

Credit: Argus Leader (http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100211/SPORTS0202/2110333/1077/sports)

Thundar
February 20th, 2010, 10:52 PM
They have NOT outgrown their current stadium, won't happen but they do need to upgrade, the new Dykhouse is a start for sure

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2010, 11:14 PM
They have NOT outgrown their current stadium, won't happen but they do need to upgrade, the new Dykhouse is a start for sure

This is part of the 20 year master plan, not necessarily their growth right now - at least that is how I view it.

SDSU needs to think about the future, just like all schools. All moves today have an impact on tomorrow. ADs get that.

Thundar
February 20th, 2010, 11:21 PM
This is part of the 20 year master plan, not necessarily their growth right now - at least that is how I view it.

SDSU needs to think about the future, just like all schools. All moves today have an impact on tomorrow. ADs get that.

I agree, but it all comes out after 1 good year in football, they stumble and go back to their "normal" FB pattern and this will disappear, Brookings is a BBAll school plain and simple, they struggled to fill the stadium last year which was one of their best teams in Years, an example would be only 13000 at the SIU, SDSU game for the MVFC conference title. thats all i'm saying

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I agree, but it all comes out after 1 good year in football, they stumble and go back to their "normal" FB pattern and this will disappear, Brookings is a BBAll school plain and simple, they struggled to fill the stadium last year which was one of their best teams in Years, an example would be only 13000 at the SIU, SDSU game for the MVFC conference title. thats all i'm saying

It may have come out after a good year of football, but master plans do not happen overnight. They probably bidded this out and all before the first snap of the season...

Every school needs to them, the fact that one did one in athletics is pretty good stuff...

doolittledog
February 21st, 2010, 07:59 AM
Additionally, it falls on the AD to rally the alumni and donors behind the program to improve facilities. It is good timing to bring this up after a successfull season. Whether this is a one off season or not.

MplsBison
February 21st, 2010, 10:11 AM

What's the capacity at CAS now? I thought it was technically like 10k seats and then ~13k with all the standing room.

Kemo
February 21st, 2010, 10:50 AM
What's the capacity at CAS now? I thought it was technically like 10k seats and then ~13k with all the standing room.

You are right about CAS only having 10k seats, and as far as standing room nobody really is a 100% sure how much it can actually hold. I know we've squeezed over 16K in there before and averaged over 13k last year (actual attendance, not paid attendance).

mmiller_34
February 21st, 2010, 05:35 PM

Remember that SDSU averaged about 5000 fans per game in D2. Now-a-Days you can expect SDSU to average 10000+. Next year will be interesting with a home games with.. Illinois State, Missouri State, Western Illinois, and Youngstown State. SDSU has got to the point where anything less than 10000 is pretty bad, even 10000 seems small. 5 years ago 10000 was a huge crowd. There is no question that SDSU needs to renovate, I expect SDSU reconfigures the stadium to hold between 10,000 - 15,000 in the first stage. Bison fans have to realize the immense growth SDSU football has had in the last few years, and realistically the football teams best record wasn't THAT great, it was good. But nothing compared to what the Bison went through the last 3 years in the Great West. If SDSU had a couple 9 or 10 win seasons in a row they would have wished they would have renovated Coughlin, especially with the opportunity to host a playoff game.

AND lastly, personally, as an SDSU student I can tell you first hand that the amount of buzz about the football team is MUCH greater than the basketball teams. The past 5 years have been football years here at SDSU.

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2010, 05:43 PM
I agree, but it all comes out after 1 good year in football

xconfusedx ONE good year? What happened in '07? xeyebrowx

Gil Dobie
February 22nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
xconfusedx ONE good year? What happened in '07? xeyebrowx

SDSU was 7-4, a good year xpeacex