PDA

View Full Version : Wins against Lamar, South Alabama in '10

TexasTerror
February 19th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Okay, let's just be frank and to the point...

Do wins against South Alabama and Lamar count towards Division I playoff eligibility? This question continually hits and it does not seem like there is a straight answer to be shared.

I would think Lamar does, but USA doesn't? Is this correct? USA seems to have delayed their start somewhat to build up a program for competitive reasons and also avoid having to count towards APR.

Any info from someone that knows?

JohnStOnge
February 20th, 2010, 06:43 AM
That question was asked on the McNeese Delphi board and, unfortunately, the answer is "no" for Lamar. The reason is that the NCAA is not allowing anybody to move into Division I next year and being a new team in Division I would count as moving to Division I. That's my understanding anyway. It's unfortunate because, as I understand it, Lamar is going to meet all the scholarship requirements, etc. It's going to be a Division I FCS team in reality but it's not going to count as a Division I opponent. I assume the situation will be the same with South Alabama.

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2010, 09:01 AM
That question was asked on the McNeese Delphi board and, unfortunately, the answer is "no" for Lamar. The reason is that the NCAA is not allowing anybody to move into Division I next year and being a new team in Division I would count as moving to Division I. That's my understanding anyway. It's unfortunate because, as I understand it, Lamar is going to meet all the scholarship requirements, etc. It's going to be a Division I FCS team in reality but it's not going to count as a Division I opponent. I assume the situation will be the same with South Alabama.

As I noted above, South Alabama is approaching this thing weird and protecting themselves for APR purposes. I think their situation to Lamar's is difference.

Am I mistaken or was Old Dominion a counter this past year for counting towards playoff eligibility? What about Campbell?

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2010, 09:14 AM
And this pretty much confirms that South Alabama does not count...they are a non-classified team and do not count as a Division I game for opponents.

Not Classified
• 10-11 games
• Opponents will be from the NCAA Division I-AA/FCS, NCAA Division II, NAIA and junior-college levels
• More than half the games will be played at home
• USA does not count as a Division I game on their schedule or a victory towards a bowl game for opponents
• 70-80 student-athletes on scholarship

Credit: USA Program Timeline (http://www.usajaguars.com/pdf4/392237.pdf?ATCLID=3699528&SPSID=99695&SPID=12275&DB_OEM_ID=8300)

Lamar Cardinals 2010
February 21st, 2010, 02:29 AM
we will count all of our wins

TexasTerror
February 21st, 2010, 08:11 AM
we will count all of our wins

If true, that is a good thing, especially for those schools who already have one or two other games against FBS or sub-Div I teams.

JohnStOnge
February 21st, 2010, 08:58 AM
If true, that is a good thing, especially for those schools who already have one or two other games against FBS or sub-Div I teams.

LOL! He said THEY will count all THEIR wins. My understanding, based on CBuck at the McNeese board checking into it and reporting back, is that beaten THEM won't count as a D-I win. I suspect they'ss count as "not classified" like South Alabama will.

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2010, 09:24 AM
My understanding is if the school is already D-I in sports then their games count from the get-go. If they are transitioning from another Division then they count from their second transition year onwards. What's different in this case?

TexasTerror
February 21st, 2010, 09:38 AM
LOL! He said THEY will count all THEIR wins. My understanding, based on CBuck at the McNeese board checking into it and reporting back, is that beaten THEM won't count as a D-I win. I suspect they'ss count as "not classified" like South Alabama will.

When I looked into it, the response I got from the SLC office was,"Lamar will be non-Division I in 2010 and will become a full member in Division I FCS in 2011."

This came after a response from Lamar that said, "My understanding is that we do not count towards that total. My understanding is we are unclassified technically the first year in football."

Lamar and the SLC both believe Lamar games will not count as Div I.

McNeese72
February 21st, 2010, 02:29 PM

I thought the final explanation was that they wouldn't have enough scholarships funded next year to be a counter????????

Doc

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2010, 02:47 PM
I thought the final explanation was that they wouldn't have enough scholarships funded next year to be a counter????????

Doc

Oh you mean as an FBS counter. I thought this was about FCS counting. My bad. Yeah, that rolling year equivalency requirement is for FBS counters.

TexasTerror
February 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM
We're talking about Div I wins that count towards the "mythical" seven wins for a playoff spot. Isn't that what it is?

The FBS thing is certain...

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2010, 04:51 PM
We're talking about Div I wins that count towards the "mythical" seven wins for a playoff spot. Isn't that what it is?
The FBS thing is certain...

The Committee has viewed it as any team in their second year of transition play counts fully. And as is the case of SLU, schools already D-I count immediately. Maybe it has changed?

JohnStOnge
February 21st, 2010, 07:47 PM

Doc

I can't find the thread on the Delphi board now but my recollection is that CBuck said they will meet the scholarship requirements but that it has something to do with the moratorium on reclassification. Somehow or another, as I understand it, the fact that the moratorium is in place means they can't be considered to be Division I...or I guess Division Anything. They're just there. Maybe you can find the thread I'm talking about and clarify. Or ask CBuck.

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2010, 09:30 PM
Or ask CBuck.

Or have cbuck post it here. He is a longtime AGSer.

Lamar Cardinals 2010
February 21st, 2010, 09:48 PM
yeah, I said we(Lamar) will count all of our wins no matter who its against. Even vs Beaumont school for the Blind

TexasTerror
February 22nd, 2010, 07:35 AM
yeah, I said we(Lamar) will count all of our wins no matter who its against. Even vs Beaumont school for the Blind

The bigger question is whether your wins are good for the rest of us, who are attempting to get into the playoffs...

Redbirdz
February 22nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
How does this apply to the new program at Georgia State. I think they play the University of Alabama and Jacksonville State next year. Will the games count as IA contests?

JSU02
February 22nd, 2010, 04:27 PM
Why should a non scholarship FCS team count towards FCS playoff eligibility, but not a team like Lamar or GA State that will have scholarship players, albeit less than 63.

GeauxLions94
February 22nd, 2010, 05:07 PM

What's the early line? I've heard also that Lamar will not count as a DI win due to number of scholarships offered in 2010 (can you clarify that LC?)

TexasTerror
February 22nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
How does this apply to the new program at Georgia State. I think they play the University of Alabama and Jacksonville State next year. Will the games count as IA contests?

Georgia State will NOT count as a counter for Alabama in '10. It was a subject laughed about on here earlier when it was first signed...

Not sure on GaSt's status otherwise...

DG Cowboy
February 24th, 2010, 09:22 AM
As I have said on AGS at least twice, the McNeese AD said Lamar does not count as a Playoff 7in 2010. Seems the SLC issued a statement to that effect as well.