PDA

View Full Version : Official! Grambling vs La Tech in Shreveport

TexasTerror
February 19th, 2010, 10:19 PM
A presser is scheduled for Tuesday per the Shreveport Times (http://shreveporttimes.com/article/20100219/SPORTS/100219013/City-to-announce-GSU-Tech-football-game)

Heard that both La Tech and Grambling are to get upwards of $250,000 for the game. For both schools, it is a short drive in which they can play before good crowds and make some decent $$$. Would either of those two schools make that kind of money on a home game?

The long-awaited announcement of a Grambling-Louisiana Tech football game will come in a Tuesday news conference at Independence Stadium.

The game is set for Labor Day weekend Saturday, Sept. 4 at 6 p.m. at Shreveport’s Independence Stadium.

“This will be the first time the two schools have ever played against each other in football,” says Mayor Cedric Glover. “Both bring a rich football tradition, a strong local alumni base and I am excited, pleased and proud to bring a game of this magnitude to the city of Shreveport. We are expecting a sellout and Shreveport will benefit significantly from this historic sporting event.”

GAD
February 20th, 2010, 07:21 AM
xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

msusig
February 20th, 2010, 09:00 AM
A presser is scheduled for Tuesday per the Shreveport Times (http://shreveporttimes.com/article/20100219/SPORTS/100219013/City-to-announce-GSU-Tech-football-game)

Heard that both La Tech and Grambling are to get upwards of $250,000 for the game. For both schools, it is a short drive in which they can play before good crowds and make some decent $$$. Would either of those two schools make that kind of money on a home game?

I'm suprised La Tech would accept to get an equal payout for the game considering they are FBS and Grambling is FCS. Plus it's not at their stadium so La Tech won't get all the concession stand money.

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I'm suprised La Tech would accept to get an equal payout for the game considering they are FBS and Grambling is FCS. Plus it's not at their stadium so La Tech won't get all the concession stand money.

A La Tech fan put it best...

They would probably get $120-160k from hosting an FCS at their stadium after paying out the school..

This is probably their best bet. Not only do they make more than they would if this was a home game, they can promote their product better than in Shreveport, which is a crucial market for them.

GAD
February 20th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Grambling will probably sell more tickets.

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2010, 01:10 PM

One question will be whether La Tech and/or Grambling are able to include the game in the season ticket package by the respective schools.

JohnStOnge
February 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Go Tigers.

Go...gate
February 23rd, 2010, 05:28 PM
Nice match-up. xnodx

TexasTerror
February 23rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
La Tech release (http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022310aad.html)...

"Louisiana Tech and Grambling State both have such rich athletic traditions and celebrated histories," said Louisiana Tech President Dr. Dan Reneau. "We are excited for the opportunity to showcase our football program and for our student-athletes to take part in this historic game. This game is really a tribute to the fans of Tech and Grambling, and it will help strengthen the excitement surrounding intercollegiate athletics in north central Louisiana."

mikebigg
February 26th, 2010, 07:50 PM
According to The Deriso Report:

http://www.thederisoreport.com/2010/02/26/port-city-classic-called-best-possible-deal-for-grambling/

“It’s a unique model where a FCS school serves as a host to a FBS team,” Dawson said. “Usually in a model like that, there are game guarantees. Here, there is no game guarantee. As sister institutions, we’re working together. It’s a great deal for both of us.”

GAD
March 3rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
In games like this FCS teams should ask for more, if McNeese or Southern played at ULL again we should ask them to split the gate with us. They could keep the parking and concessions but we get half the gate, same for Grambling and ULM

mikebigg
March 4th, 2010, 08:26 AM
In games like this FCS teams should ask for more, if McNeese or Southern played at ULL again we should ask them to split the gate with us. They could keep the parking and concessions but we get half the gate, same for Grambling and ULM

I agree...especially with them being in-state schools. Realistically, these FBS schools (with the exception of LSU of course) don't bring in the attendance numbers any greater than the top FCS schools in the state. However there are some matchups that would be of interest and bring in good numbers and could really do well in neutral site venues in some instances.

Landing the rights to the Port City Classic and the Labor Day Weekend Date was a huge coup for Grambling and one I hope we take full advantage of. Mr. Dawson impressed me with that move and especially his comments about playing other State Schools there and/or some regional FBS programs. Could we see Gram vs SMU someday in Shreveport? What about Grambling vs McNeese State to open up Labor Day Weekend? Once ULM sees the money La Tech makes, they might want to come to the table for talks? Hmmmm, what about Tulane? Of course Northwestern has a huge Shreveport connect. I like the many possibilities of playing in this venue... Television deals aren't out of the question.

andy7171
March 4th, 2010, 09:37 AM

I agree. xthumbsupx

T-Dog
March 4th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I wonder how La Tech fans are reacting to this. xrotatehx

JohnStOnge
March 4th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I wonder how La Tech fans are reacting to this. xrotatehx

Here ya' go:

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74007

You can see some other threads on the grambling game by navigating to the board index.