PDA

View Full Version : UNH Panel: Treat Athletics As Core Function

UNHWildCats
February 19th, 2010, 12:24 PM
CONCORD, N.H.—A panel appointed to study funding for the University of New Hampshire's athletic programs recommends treating athletics as a core rather than auxiliary function, dramatically increasing fundraising efforts and making significant upgrades to aging facilities.

UNH President Mark Huddleston appointed the panel after students balked at a proposed increase in athletics fees in 2008. Under the current funding system, undergraduate fees account for $9 million of the $24 million athletics budget.

In a report released Friday, the panel said UNH athletics provide a high quality product with a limited budget. But it found that fundraising efforts lag far behind other schools, and that some facilities, including the football stadium, are substandard.

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/running/articles/2010/02/19/panel_assesses_funding_for_unh_athletics/

WrenFGun
February 19th, 2010, 12:47 PM
EXCELLENT.

UNHlund
February 19th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Very good news. There is no doubt that UNH has substandard facilities. With the talent that the football team has recruited as-is, it is hard to view multiple championships as anything but a given if a better stadium, workout facilities, etc. had existed.

I do believe that athletics have an important role at the University of New Hampshire, and I believe that role extends beyond the men's hockey team. So great news!

Bogus Megapardus
February 19th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Here's the full report:

http://www.unh.edu/president/markhuddleston/speeches/athletics_report_final022010.pdf

Recommendation is to increase football stadium capacity from 6,500 to 12,000 with many significant upgrades.

Wildcat80
February 19th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Future success of all UNH athletics is tied to the football stadium expansion! Yes! Common sense prevails. With 120,000 alumni we just need $10 from each to exceed UDel's annual totals. Nice to see LB Devon Jackson was on panel. I just sent in my donation to start!!xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 19th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Future success of all UNH athletics is tied to the football stadium expansion! Yes! Common sense prevails. With 120,000 alumni we just need $10 from each to exceed UDel's annual totals. Nice to see LB Devon Jackson was on panel. I just sent in my donation to start!!xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

Appendix Five with the UNH figures compared to peer schools was the most depressing part of the report. Well, that and the amount of work needed on the best and newest facility, the Whittemore Center. UNH Alumni, including former players, without a doubt have to step up the donations and approach their peers or a football stadium enhancement isn't happening. Anyone counting on the State of NH, has their head in the sand. xtwocentsx

Like your $10 per example, I've always used a $5/week example. We all probably waste $5 a week or spend it or something that wouldn't be a hardship to replace (Starbuck's or Dunkin Donut's coffee for example). If you put that $5 a week into a jar, then you'd have a $250 donation for the year. What a tremendous impact if you could get just 10K of the alumni base to join the list of donations in that way!!

Mattymc727
February 19th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Why is the University of Delaware President having such a prominant role in the panel?

NHwildEcat
February 19th, 2010, 03:02 PM
It would be great to have a 12,000 seat football facility...let's hope sooner, rather than later.

yorkcountyUNHfan
February 19th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Why is the University of Delaware President having such a prominant role in the panel?

UNH's President recognizes that the University of Delaware knows a little bit about football stadiums.

Actually I think UNH's President is from UD. It would make sence to have a peer's input anyway.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 19th, 2010, 03:21 PM

UNH's President recognizes that the University of Delaware knows a little bit about football stadiums.

Actually I think UNH's President is from UD. It would make sence to have a peer's input anyway.

Prez Huddleston was on the faculty at UD for 24 years IIRC. And did you see their figures for donations and endowments? Hell yeah, I'd want to get UD input!!

Mattymc727
February 19th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I couldnt really tell from the article but, are they planning on upgrading cowell or starting from scratch?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I couldnt really tell from the article but, are they planning on upgrading cowell or starting from scratch?

They have some plans on the shelf including architectural renderings for an enhancement to Cowell. I'd have to think that's the way they're going. Now if someone with serious bucks wants to start from scratch, I'm sure they'll listen! :p Those plans with a new Grandstand on the South (visitor's side) were sweet. More seats, new press box, lights, luxury boxes, plenty of concessions and rest rooms, locker rooms, weight rooms, etc. Only problem is the friggin track doesn't go away. With all the positives, it would be a huge improvement.

UNH Stadium Enhancement (http://picasaweb.google.com/DFriedson/UniversityOfNewHampshireFootballStadiumExpansion#5 213599315031407810)

Mattymc727
February 19th, 2010, 03:59 PM
that stadium looks redonkulous. I cant wait to hear if they go through with it. I liked the flag banners hanging down on the west stands, nice touch

UNHWildCats
February 19th, 2010, 08:19 PM
And New Hampshire residents who arent alumni should step up too and have some Granite State Pride.

NHwildEcat
February 20th, 2010, 07:50 AM
And New Hampshire residents who arent alumni should step up too and have some Granite State Pride.

As a non alumni resident and supporter of UNH athletics I couldn't agree more. I think slowly more people are/will open up to this and be more willing to attend events and contribute some fiscal resources. I have a lot of pride in this state as a whole and UNH is one of the biggest representatives of the state.

Wildcat80
February 20th, 2010, 08:27 AM
In situations like this it just takes LEADERSHIP! Coach Mac gets it done on the field. Now UNH just needs a key Development person to generate excitement, create a plan, execute the plan and ASK FOR MONEY! I am confident it can happen with Leadership. Go CATS!!xnodx

danefan
February 20th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I know another public university in the northeast that needs a stadium upgrade badly. Every admin at that school is in agreement that it needs to be done too.

Problem is ........... there's no one to pay for it. So we sit on wooden bleachers attached to steps.

The moral of the story is - words on paper and drawings are really nice, but money in the bank and dirt being moved is what really matters.

What are the chances anything actually happens here?

WrenFGun
February 20th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I know another public university in the northeast that needs a stadium upgrade badly. Every admin at that school is in agreement that it needs to be done too.

Problem is ........... there's no one to pay for it. So we sit on wooden bleachers attached to steps.

The moral of the story is - words on paper and drawings are really nice, but money in the bank and dirt being moved is what really matters.

Debbie Downer!

Wildcat80
February 20th, 2010, 10:57 AM

Only time will tell BUT it sure appears President Huddleston is now committed to getting it done. The only question I have is when over the next ten years. Just do it! xrotatehx

yorkcountyUNHfan
February 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM

I wouldn't expect anything tomorrow, but this is the first time the President on the University has been really behind it. I can tell you that fund raising planning and efforts have stepped up. I expect mort to come out on the concrete plans for this in the spring.

PantherRob82
February 20th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Will there be a parking lot? :D

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 24th, 2010, 01:41 PM

Well, I was asleep at the wheel and missed a few replies! xbangx Glad to see you're hanging around AGS more these days Dane!!!!

My impression is that up to now, way too many people have figured the state legislature would fund this project. I'm hoping that this myth will be quickly shattered with more communication like the two recent reports. I know we have an AD and Prez who are firmly on board with football. As has been stated by my compadres, this should lead to action in the coming months. Hopefully, the UNH faithful will realize the importance of this fundraising drive and step up. If not, we won't be in the CAA long term. I'd rather see Albany and UNH's future to be playing full scholly FCS football together in the future rather than both having to settle for a reduced scholly NEC future. xtwocentsx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 24th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Will there be a parking lot? :D

Heck no!! We're not going to waste valuable funding on paving parking lots!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Maybe a pee wall in the woods behind the new grandstand, but not a parking lot! ;) :p :p :p (I'm joking Marty!!! xnodx :D)

Besides, if anyone wants to park on a paved surface they can always fore go the cocktails and park in Lot A. ;) :D

Uncle Buck
February 24th, 2010, 03:26 PM
So when can i expect to visit the friendly upgraded confines of Cowell Stadium?

UNHWildCats
February 24th, 2010, 09:25 PM
So when can i expect to visit the friendly upgraded confines of Cowell Stadium?
September, 2096

rcny46
February 24th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Unless I can find the fountain of youth someplace,it looks like I'll have to miss that one.Bummer!

Wildcat80
February 24th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I hope it's by 2015 at the latest. Much of the work could be done in phases over the next few years. It would be great if we get ours done before URI, nova, DE etc.:D

UNHWildCats
February 24th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I hope it's by 2015 at the latest. Much of the work could be done in phases over the next few years. It would be great if we get ours done before URI, nova, DE etc.:D
Sure it can be done in phases... but over the next few years? prolly not... they still gotta raise the money first.

Old Cat Fan
February 24th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Maybe it's time someone from UNH's Panel contacts this man xnodx

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/Bahreshot1_small.jpg

His name is Bob Bahre and he built the NHIS with his own dime, 30 million give or take a couple of dollars I beleive back in 1990. He is the kind of person that if asked he would probally help out in a big way..

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/untitled-1.jpg

UNHWILDCATS05
February 25th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Good interview with Marty (http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100225/GJSPORTS_01/702259637/-1/FOSSPORTS)

smcwildcat
February 25th, 2010, 11:43 AM
http://fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100225/GJSPORTS_01/702259637/-1/FOSSPORTS

new article published this week...

UNHWILDCATS05
February 25th, 2010, 11:45 AM
http://fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100225/GJSPORTS_01/702259637/-1/FOSSPORTS

new article published this week...

Read back one post.. :D

WUTNDITWAA
February 25th, 2010, 12:17 PM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/untitled-1.jpg

Another stadium with a track. xwhistlex xlolx :D

danefan
February 26th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Well, I was asleep at the wheel and missed a few replies! xbangx Glad to see you're hanging around AGS more these days Dane!!!!

My impression is that up to now, way too many people have figured the state legislature would fund this project. I'm hoping that this myth will be quickly shattered with more communication like the two recent reports. I know we have an AD and Prez who are firmly on board with football. As has been stated by my compadres, this should lead to action in the coming months. Hopefully, the UNH faithful will realize the importance of this fundraising drive and step up. If not, we won't be in the CAA long term. I'd rather see Albany and UNH's future to be playing full scholly FCS football together in the future rather than both having to settle for a reduced scholly NEC future. xtwocentsx

From your mouth to god's ears my friend. xprayx

Uncle Buck
February 27th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Makes me very jealous to read something like this:

"The president is a partner in this," Scarano said. "He wants to see it happen. I think that's the most important step of all. There's an endorsement from the president that quantifies the need for this. That's never been publicly portrayed since I've been here."

Our president is a scumbag who lacked foresight and leadership. It may move slow for UNH, but at least the admin values what the programs bring to the university and it's students.

ccd494
February 28th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Appendix Five with the UNH figures compared to peer schools was the most depressing part of the report.

I realize UNH looks southward (and I guess northwestwards in the case of UVM) for their "peer" schools, but it would be interesting to see UMaine's numbers listed there. Of course, it probably wouldn't further the "we need to spend more money" argument.