PDA

View Full Version : Early SLC 2006 Predictions

TexasTerror
December 30th, 2005, 02:54 PM
My predictions for the SLC in 2006. Feel free to share your thoughts...

1) McNeese - Lots of young talent took the field and they had all the issues surrounding Hurricane Katrina and Rita impact this team heavily, yet they had a 3-3 season within conference. Like many, I think this team will be at or near the top in 2006.

2) SHSU - As I told Ralph, I may be a homer here however SHSU really did not lose much offensively outside of their RBs and were not hit hard defensively. The Kats lost close ones to NW St (10-6) and TxSt (OT loss in San Marcos) as well as refused to take a knee which cost them the game against McNeese. All the while starting a QB who came halfway through two-a-days and was learning the offense all season. Tough games against McN and TxSt are at home.

3) Texas State (-San Marcos) - They lose a lot, but I am confident they won't fall far. They have their tough games on the road this year (McN, SHSU and NWST), all of whom should be amongst the top four at the end of the year. If Wasson or George, whomever the QB is inconsistent, this could be a rough SLC run. Two Div II games and a I-A game (Kentucky) could have Bobcats needing to avoid two losses in SLC play to get into the playoffs. It'll be tough to come by.

4) Northwestern State - Ziegler and Vinson are two huge losses for the Demons. I believe they are playing three Div I-A games (Kansas, Baylor and Ole Miss) or atleast two (Baylor and Ole Miss). They get Sam, McN and TxSt at home which will help a lot. Is Meeks ready to be QB and lead this team? Not sure what we'll see when he goes full-time. Regardless, Stoker recruits well and this team should be in the mix if they can stay healthy.

5) Nicholls St - Road games against Sam, McN and TxSt are tough. Even tougher is dealing with the loss of Yale Vannoy, who along with Barrick Nealy (TxSt) were two of the most exciting QBs the SLC has seen. A new leader for the famed Colonels triple option will be a young QB. They had a young nucleus around Vannoy, but the loss of Vannoy may be the biggest loss of any team in the SLC, even more so than Nealy (who has Wasson and/or George in the wings).

6) SELA - Third QB in three years now as Trey Willie departs. Huggins is gone at WR as well, so that's two big players from their at times, explosive offense. They have two I-A games (USM and Texas Tech) against bowl teams from this past year. Outside of that, they should have no problems winning their other OOC games. SLC will be tough for them.

7) SFA - A very brutal out of conference schedule with games against North Dakota St, Montana St and two I-As (Arizona and Tulsa). This team only beat one SLC opponent last year (Nicholls) and will have a tougher go this year considering the non-conference schedule. Danny Southall takes over at QB full-time this year and while I was impressed, I believe the big hole for the Jacks is their defense which gave up over 36 points, seven times on the season...

Elsewhere...

Central Arkansas. They come into the conference in all sports and do a year as an independent in the football ranks. I think they will win one of their three SLC games (Nicholls, TxSt and SFA), probably against SFA. They're playing a few Div IIs and should stack up well there considering their Div II regional finalist run. I'm thinking they're over .500 on the year...

blackfordpu
December 30th, 2005, 07:04 PM
That is a little early huh TT? We don't even know what the recruiting classes will look like.

As of now I agree with all but having Tx State so high. I'm thinking they come in around 4 or 5 in the SLC in 2006. They lose 27 seniors (starters or not, that still has an impact) and their biggest playmaker in many years (Nealy).

TexasTerror
December 30th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I don't think recruiting classes matter much. The Kats only had one impact true freshman (Christian). I don't see any true freshmen stepping up and taking over the QB reins or having a major impact anywhere...

The only thing that could really distort things if redshirt freshmen (i.e Bradley George, TXST or Desmond Mays, SHSU) or major transfers as we've seen in the past. Nothing known at this point like that...

And it is early, just throwing some things out there to pass time because we're going t be lacking some I-AA discussion until signing day unfortunately outside of news regarding guy trying to get in the NFL and even that's quite until combine time... :(

Pantherpower
December 30th, 2005, 07:50 PM
4) Northwestern State - Ziegler and Vinson are two huge losses for the Demons. I believe they are playing three Div I-A games (Kansas, Baylor and Ole Miss) or atleast two (Baylor and Ole Miss). They get Sam, McN and TxSt at home which will help a lot. Is Meeks ready to be QB and lead this team? Not sure what we'll see when he goes full-time. Regardless, Stoker recruits well and this team should be in the mix if they can stay healthy.

UNI will be traveling to Demon country next fall as well.... :beerchug:

blackfordpu
December 30th, 2005, 08:21 PM
I don't think recruiting classes matter much. The Kats only had one impact true freshman (Christian). I don't see any true freshmen stepping up and taking over the QB reins or having a major impact anywhere...

The only thing that could really distort things if redshirt freshmen (i.e Bradley George, TXST or Desmond Mays, SHSU) or major transfers as we've seen in the past. Nothing known at this point like that...

And it is early, just throwing some things out there to pass time because we're going t be lacking some I-AA discussion until signing day unfortunately outside of news regarding guy trying to get in the NFL and even that's quite until combine time... :(

Why the :( ?

TexasTerror
December 30th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Why the :( ?

Because football is great and there just isn't much to do as it regards to football for a few months...

Basketball may be able to pass the time this year though considering our Kats are looking great!

December 30th, 2005, 08:37 PM
... Basketball may be able to pass the time...That's the orange ball they play with at Lamar, right???

TexasTerror
December 30th, 2005, 08:48 PM
That's the orange ball they play with at Lamar, right???

They attempt to play with it at Lamar. Billy Tubbs hasn't turned that program around completely yet. Have you partaken in "Billy Ball" before, Ralph?

TXST_CAT
December 30th, 2005, 09:00 PM
That is a little early huh TT? We don't even know what the recruiting classes will look like.

As of now I agree with all but having Tx State so high. I'm thinking they come in around 4 or 5 in the SLC in 2006. They lose 27 seniors (starters or not, that still has an impact) and their biggest playmaker in many years (Nealy).

There is still lots of tallent at TXST! Look for us to be contenders again!

blackfordpu
December 30th, 2005, 09:08 PM

Never said there wasn't talent, just not as much experiecne and leadership as this last season. Not a knock on the bobkitties, just my humble opinion.

McNeese75
December 30th, 2005, 11:14 PM

:rolleyes: :nono:

TxState_GO_CATS!
December 30th, 2005, 11:37 PM
I agree. Texas State won't fall far. Most of the defense returns for us and will (hopefully) pull more of the weight as the offense gets use to a new QB. I think it's going to be an interesting offseason for QB. Wasson, IMO, is the better runner but lacks passing accuracy (which, if you saw this guy in HS at Southlake Carroll, is a bit shocking). George is unproven but has a ROCKET of an arm. Snell, from what I heard, is a scrambler (maybe a future Nealy without the stature?).

But, I think it's a little early to predict the SLC. We haven't even seen who's been signed, who's going where, potential impact transfers, etc. But I will say this. The team that could "surprise" us all is Southeastern Louisiana. The SLC knows how good this team is/can be. The rest of I-AA apparently does not.

golionsgo
December 30th, 2005, 11:43 PM
My predictions for the SLC in 2006. Feel free to share your thoughts...

1) McNeese - Lots of young talent took the field and they had all the issues surrounding Hurricane Katrina and Rita impact this team heavily, yet they had a 3-3 season within conference. Like many, I think this team will be at or near the top in 2006.

2) SHSU - As I told Ralph, I may be a homer here however SHSU really did not lose much offensively outside of their RBs and were not hit hard defensively. The Kats lost close ones to NW St (10-6) and TxSt (OT loss in San Marcos) as well as refused to take a knee which cost them the game against McNeese. All the while starting a QB who came halfway through two-a-days and was learning the offense all season. Tough games against McN and TxSt are at home.

3) Texas State (-San Marcos) - They lose a lot, but I am confident they won't fall far. They have their tough games on the road this year (McN, SHSU and NWST), all of whom should be amongst the top four at the end of the year. If Wasson or George, whomever the QB is inconsistent, this could be a rough SLC run. Two Div II games and a I-A game (Kentucky) could have Bobcats needing to avoid two losses in SLC play to get into the playoffs. It'll be tough to come by.

5) Nicholls St - Road games against Sam, McN and TxSt are tough. Even tougher is dealing with the loss of Yale Vannoy, who along with Barrick Nealy (TxSt) were two of the most exciting QBs the SLC has seen. A new leader for the famed Colonels triple option will be a young QB. They had a young nucleus around Vannoy, but the loss of Vannoy may be the biggest loss of any team in the SLC, even more so than Nealy (who has Wasson and/or George in the wings).

6) SELA - Third QB in three years now as Trey Willie departs. Huggins is gone at WR as well, so that's two big players from their at times, explosive offense. They have two I-A games (USM and Texas Tech) against bowl teams from this past year. Outside of that, they should have no problems winning their other OOC games. SLC will be tough for them.

7) SFA - A very brutal out of conference schedule with games against North Dakota St, Montana St and two I-As (Arizona and Tulsa). This team only beat one SLC opponent last year (Nicholls) and will have a tougher go this year considering the non-conference schedule. Danny Southall takes over at QB full-time this year and while I was impressed, I believe the big hole for the Jacks is their defense which gave up over 36 points, seven times on the season...

Elsewhere...

Central Arkansas. They come into the conference in all sports and do a year as an independent in the football ranks. I think they will win one of their three SLC games (Nicholls, TxSt and SFA), probably against SFA. They're playing a few Div IIs and should stack up well there considering their Div II regional finalist run. I'm thinking they're over .500 on the year...

We'll be a lot better than you think. We return a lot of good players on defense and add an outstanding transfer from Louisville on the defensive line who wasn't eligible this year. QB is a question for now and we do have to replace some WRs but the physical talent is in place to develop another good offense. Whether we can finish better than sixth remains to be seen but I think we'll be competitive with every team in the league.

TXST_CAT
December 30th, 2005, 11:48 PM
:rolleyes: :nono:

We'll see. If I know my team well expect our offense to be one of the more balanced and explosive teams out there. Our D will be improved by transfers in key possitions. Our offense will have two years under Coach Hermans system and after seeing what he did wih just one year with Nealy I wouldn't be surprized if we have one of the leading QB's in the SLC. Mark my words, we will be fighting for the top spot again. Not just because the tallent on the field but the tallent on the sidelines(coaches) as well. No disrespect for McNeese but the SLC has changed and the Bobcats are part of the SLC future. Either way the SLC will be tough as always. :nod: :beerchug: xprost2x

TXST_CAT
December 30th, 2005, 11:56 PM
We'll be a lot better than you think. We return a lot of good players on defense and add an outstanding transfer from Louisville on the defensive line who wasn't eligible this year. QB is a question for now and we do have to replace some WRs but the physical talent is in place to develop another good offense. Whether we can finish better than sixth remains to be seen but I think we'll be competitive with every team in the league.

I agree from day one I believed the lions were going to be tough in the SLC. Next to the Kats I see you as our next rivals. The TXST v. SELA games are hard fought and exciting to watch. These are my picks for the top three next year.
Top three:
SELA,Nicholls, TXST
followed by
SAM, MCNEESE, NorthWestern,SFA
No particular order.

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2005, 06:25 AM
Top three:
SELA,Nicholls, TXST
followed by
SAM, MCNEESE, NorthWestern,SFA
No particular order.

How in the world do you have Nicholls over Sam, McN and NW St? Do you know something about their freshman QB that we do not? Have you seen their schedule includes road trips to Huntsville, San Marcos and Lake Charles (three of the top four teams next year)? No chance Nicholls finishes at the top of the conference. The loss of Vannoy hurts them more than any loss of anyone this year to graduation and that includes your boy Nealy...

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2005, 06:27 AM

I think the SIDs and HCs knock you guys down to atleast #3 in the preseason polls. Everyone will think highly of Bailiff and his crew after last year, but you guys will be given no respect and not slotted at the top of the league. The Bobcat nation will moan and groan about it, but we all know that's what's going to happen.

You guys were within one score of not going to the playoffs due to lacking those seven Div I wins. Two Div II games and one Div I-A game. You fellas are in for a tough one again, going to be cutting close for sure...

JohnStOnge
December 31st, 2005, 08:07 AM
I think how McNeese does depends at least some on who they bring in as defensive coordinator. To my knowledge they didn't have one this past year and the head coach did it.

Cat79
December 31st, 2005, 08:14 AM
My predictions for 2006

1. McNeese State-Tons of returning talent-QB has learning curves
2. Northwestern State-the cupboard is not empty-new QB
3. Texas State-drop some due to new QB-good young talent coming
4. SLU-improving team that could challenge-spoiler team
5. Sam Houston-2nd year under coach, tough road games
6. Nichols State-loss of talent and tough road games
7. SFA-Young QB that will improve at end of season

JohnStOnge
December 31st, 2005, 08:17 AM
McNeese is going to win it as Matt Flynn transfers there so he won't have to change basic helmet color and leads them to an outstanding season.

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2005, 10:05 AM
5. Sam Houston-2nd year under coach, tough road games

What "tough road games" are there for the Kats in SLC? We go to Hammond, Nacogdoches and Northwestern St (can't spell that one). Sam won't have problems in Nacogdoches. We always lose at NW St and I think we'll beat SELA as we had no problem with them the past two years (and that QB issue will hurt them)...

TXST_CAT
December 31st, 2005, 12:22 PM
How in the world do you have Nicholls over Sam, McN and NW St? Do you know something about their freshman QB that we do not? Have you seen their schedule includes road trips to Huntsville, San Marcos and Lake Charles (three of the top four teams next year)? No chance Nicholls finishes at the top of the conference. The loss of Vannoy hurts them more than any loss of anyone this year to graduation and that includes your boy Nealy...

Unlike most systems in the SLC or football for that matter Nicholls runs a run offense that will require him to hand the ball off 95% of the time. His lack of experience will fade quickly. Nicholls finished the season with confidence and that will carry into the next season. This team is not the same doormat that we have seen in the past. Regardless of where they are placed in the polls they will be fighting for a top spot.

TXST_CAT
December 31st, 2005, 12:27 PM
I think the SIDs and HCs knock you guys down to atleast #3 in the preseason polls. Everyone will think highly of Bailiff and his crew after last year, but you guys will be given no respect and not slotted at the top of the league. The Bobcat nation will moan and groan about it, but we all know that's what's going to happen.

You guys were within one score of not going to the playoffs due to lacking those seven Div I wins. Two Div II games and one Div I-A game. You fellas are in for a tough one again, going to be cutting close for sure...

Our players and fans will give little attention to polls since we are used to being voted low. Our confidence lies in the TEAM not just one or two players. It is the same system used by UNI which is what scared me about them. TEAMS win and the Bobcats will come out looking like a solid TEAM in '06.
By the way since tough road games were metioned, did you see how the Bobcats played McNeese the last two seasons, NW will be tough and SAM is usually a good game but I am confident our offense and deffense will be improved from last season as Bailiff and Co bring in more players that fit their system. If you look at Bailiff's record with the cats you will see his first season most of the losses were by only one TD and only one game away from a SLC title. In '05 we only had one loss in regulation and that was to Texas A&M. Both Div I-AA losses were in overtime and the later had the National Championship birth on the line. Given this track record under Bailiff, the Bobcats will be one of the teams to beat in '06.

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2005, 12:42 PM
By the way since tough road games were metioned, did you see how the Bobcats played McNeese the last two seasons, NW will be tough and SAM is usually a good game but I am confident our offense and deffense will be improved from last season as Bailiff and Co bring in more players that fit their system.

McNeese will be much improved over '04 and better than they were in '05, when this team went through more than any team in the SLC. It's in Lake Charles, one of the toughest places in all of I-AA to play.

McNeese75
December 31st, 2005, 01:10 PM
We'll see. If I know my team well expect our offense to be one of the more balanced and explosive teams out there. Our D will be improved by transfers in key possitions. Our offense will have two years under Coach Hermans system and after seeing what he did wih just one year with Nealy I wouldn't be surprized if we have one of the leading QB's in the SLC. Mark my words, we will be fighting for the top spot again. Not just because the tallent on the field but the tallent on the sidelines(coaches) as well. No disrespect for McNeese but the SLC has changed and the Bobcats are part of the SLC future. Either way the SLC will be tough as always. :nod: :beerchug: xprost2x

Sorry, but we have been there and done that with regards to an optimistic outlook after losing a Sr. class like you do this year.

No doubt that parity has arrived in the SLC and that is a good thing for everyone. I expect the Bobcats to remain competitive but I do doubt they will be in the top 2 or 3 teams next year specifically because of the number of seniors you have lost (no matter how great your fans think the remaining team, transfers, recruits and of course your coaching staff is) This is not a slam against Tx State, just a fact of life.

I think the McNeese team will do well next year but I am certainly not predicting a conference championship because we still have too many unanswered questions to be addressed.

Shoud be fun!!! :beerchug:

TXST_CAT
December 31st, 2005, 01:13 PM
Shoud be fun!!! :beerchug:

As it should be!!! xprost2x

McNeese75
December 31st, 2005, 01:14 PM
McNeese is going to win it as Matt Flynn transfers there so he won't have to change basic helmet color and leads them to an outstanding season.

Think he screwed on on that one last night John :D

Today all the talk is about who will start in Tigertown next year :bawling:

TXST_CAT
December 31st, 2005, 01:14 PM
McNeese will be much improved over '04 and better than they were in '05, when this team went through more than any team in the SLC. It's in Lake Charles, one of the toughest places in all of I-AA to play.

Bottom line from top to bottom our conference has gone through major changes and it will be another exciting year!!! xprost2x

McTailGator
December 31st, 2005, 01:30 PM

If your waiting on this recruiting class to help you on the field in '06, your in for a very long year.

I suggest you look to 2002 and 2003's recruting classes for your answer to who will be good and who needs a couple more years.

Mr. C
December 31st, 2005, 02:14 PM
Unlike most systems in the SLC or football for that matter Nicholls runs a run offense that will require him to hand the ball off 95% of the time. His lack of experience will fade quickly. Nicholls finished the season with confidence and that will carry into the next season. This team is not the same doormat that we have seen in the past. Regardless of where they are placed in the polls they will be fighting for a top spot.
Obviously, you don't have a strong understanding of Nicholls State's spread option attack. The QB is very important and has to make a lot of reads in the triple option, whether to give the ball to the FB on the dive, keep it, or pitch it. It's not an easy offense to get down.

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2005, 04:02 PM
Obviously, you don't have a strong understanding of Nicholls State's spread option attack. The QB is very important and has to make a lot of reads in the triple option, whether to give the ball to the FB on the dive, keep it, or pitch it. It's not an easy offense to get down.

Exactly. An option is a very complicated format. Considering Vannoy had been in the program and had run it efficiently said a lot of his growth in the program and his ability to lead the Colonels on the field. Hence, why I said his loss is the greatest loss that any one player meant to any team, especially after Nicholls had their best season in the history of their program in the SLC.

Vannoy was definitely the MVP in the SLC this year, not Nealy and I think we'll all realize why next year...

X-Factor
December 31st, 2005, 06:54 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but:

1. Nicholes runs a triple option, a good passing QB is not needed

2. When Nicholes came to the Fargodome this fall it was very apparent that if you make Vannoy throw the ball more than 10 times in the 60 minutes of reulation he WILL make mistakes. He simply was not a good passer IMO.

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2005, 07:34 PM
Who said anything about the QB in the option passing? Never said Vannoy had a helluva arm or that he could pass the ball worth a dime...

The QB in the option has to know how to run it, know who to give the ball to, know when to keep the ball to one's self. It's more complicated then taking a snap and handing off the ball. A freshman QB who did not have any experience running an option has a rough go with it, especially against the competition that finds itself in the SLC...

GeauxLions94
January 1st, 2006, 12:45 AM
I think we'll beat SELA as we had no problem with them the past two years (and that QB issue will hurt them)...

Maybe on the first one since we haven't figured you guys out yet. The same thing was said about the QB situation last year and though Nealy and Vannoy each had great seasons, Willie was probably the one QB in the league who gave opposing coaches headaches each week.

1. - McNeese State - young team, led by QB Mark Fontenot, grows up in Lake Chuck.

2. - Sam Houston State - Despite lack of depth at RB, skill position players might be best in '06

3. - Texas State - Sure, loss of Nealy and 26 other seniors will hurt, but Bailiff has turned program around. Next time, DON'T TAKE A KNEE!

4. - Northwestern State - Stoker does a good job recruiting. "Purple Swarm" could be back to past glory

5. - Southeastern Louisiana - Sure, the Lions lost Trey Willie, Felton Huggins, Josh Taylor, Putt Huren, Derrick Mincey, Hutch Gonzales, Jeffery Howard, Calvin Greenwood, Rudy Johnson, Charles Hall (get the picture) ... but HC Dennis Roland has something brewing in Hammond. YOU ACTUALLY THINK I'D PICK US LOWER???

6. - Nicholls State - Aaaaaghhh, that damn option! Who cares who the QB is ... as long as he can hand off to Cole and Tobias, the Colonels will be OK

7. - Stephen F. Austin - Danny Southall could be one of the better offensive threats in the SLC. Too bad he can't play defense.

golionsgo
January 1st, 2006, 01:25 AM
I think we'll beat SELA as we had no problem with them the past two years (and that QB issue will hurt them)...

I would say we did more to beat ourselves in Huntsville this year than Sam Houston did. It was easily our worst game of the year and we would have struggled with Alcorn and Mississippi Valley had we played them that day. If you recall, we fumbled going into the endzone on one occasion, didn't score on a couple of other possessions deep in your territory and we turned the ball over a billion times it seemed like. If we would have just played decent I think we would have won by a couple of TDs. Unfortunately, we stunk it up and lost by couple of scores. That's football.

TexasTerror
January 1st, 2006, 05:23 AM
I'll be making the road trip to Hammond this year because I'll be in NOLA, not too far away. Hoping Ralph and/or blackfordpu will be with me as well for that trip. You guys going to treat us right? What's the deal with tailgating?

November 11th!

Cat79
January 1st, 2006, 01:40 PM
What "tough road games" are there for the Kats in SLC? We go to Hammond, Nacogdoches and Northwestern St (can't spell that one). Sam won't have problems in Nacogdoches. We always lose at NW St and I think we'll beat SELA as we had no problem with them the past two years (and that QB issue will hurt them)...

Sam Houston could lose two out of three on the SLC road trips. Your out of conference schedule (Texas and SMU) could have you banged up going into conference just like 2005.

blackfordpu
January 1st, 2006, 02:18 PM
Sam Houston could lose two out of three on the SLC road trips. Your out of conference schedule (Texas and SMU) could have you banged up going into conference just like 2005.

That is the one BIG thing that worries me about next season. I hope those games don't have the effect that the ones last season at UH and Tech did.

TXST_CAT
January 1st, 2006, 03:07 PM

Compared to most passing attacks the option run is easier for a QB to learn and adjust to because most of the plays call for the QB to make the same reads. Also most QBs in a passing attack require a year to adjust to WR's and timing routes. Reading the defensive Tackles and Ends in the option is alot easier than reading the DB's and corners in a pass first offense. This is one of the reasons many college coaches who run a passing offense give little attention to QB's that are in a run/option oriented offense in HS.

golionsgo
January 1st, 2006, 07:24 PM
Compared to most passing attacks the option run is easier for a QB to learn and adjust to because most of the plays call for the QB to make the same reads. Also most QBs in a passing attack require a year to adjust to WR's and timing routes. Reading the defensive Tackles and Ends in the option is alot easier than reading the DB's and corners in a pass first offense. This is one of the reasons many college coaches who run a passing offense give little attention to QB's that are in a run/option oriented offense in HS.

I don't know that I would agree with that completely. While the reads in the triple option are simpler in terms of fundamentals, they happen faster for the QB and you never know when the defense will stem, stunt and slant. A defense can go from an odd to even look right before the snap, and vise versa, and screw the QB up completely if he doesn't have experience. At least in a shotgun passing attack, the QB has time to look over coverages and has from the time the ball is snapped til the time he sets up to make a read.

TXST_CAT
January 1st, 2006, 09:28 PM
I don't know that I would agree with that completely. While the reads in the triple option are simpler in terms of fundamentals, they happen faster for the QB and you never know when the defense will stem, stunt and slant. A defense can go from an odd to even look right before the snap, and vise versa, and screw the QB up completely if he doesn't have experience. At least in a shotgun passing attack, the QB has time to look over coverages and has from the time the ball is snapped til the time he sets up to make a read.

Good point.