PDA

View Full Version : UT-Arlington Football Efforts

TexasTerror
February 14th, 2010, 09:23 PM
In the last few days or weeks, several fans at UT-Arlington have created a web site (http://utafootball.freeservers.com/) pertaining to their efforts of restoring their football program.

The web site's main page makes it clear - the university's present stated on Jan. 20, 2005 that the school would re-examine the football issue in five years. That remark came nine months after the school's student body passed a referendum that would fund football, women's soccer and women's golf.

UT-Arlington does have a football stadium that is currently used for high school football and in recent years, the UT-Arlington Mavericks Club football team.

http://www2.uta.edu/housing/conferences/images/mav1.jpg

Could UT-Arlington be the next program to add football in the SLC, following Lamar and UTSA?

UT-Arlington could really damage their chances of making the move. All the other SLC schools - most notably UTSA, TXST and SHSU - have been positioning themselves so they are not left behind.

If UT-Arlington does not get their act together, they could be 'left behind' with future conference members like Houston Baptist, UT-Pan American, Tarleton State and West Texas A&M. Is that really what they would want?

Syntax Error
February 14th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Left Behind?

TexasTerror
February 14th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Left Behind?

Yes, left behind.

There are changes coming to the SLC. Whether or not anyone wants to acknowledge them, that's fine.

UTSA is going straight to FBS. There are several other schools who are very interested in FBS - namely TXST, but it would not surprise me if others are also involved (i.e. SHSU, SFA, Lamar).

That's all the Texas schools with football. UT-Arlington and A&M-Corpus Christi are on the sidelines right now and could really have a tough time prepping for the future of the SLC - if they do not get football in place.

Syntax Error
February 14th, 2010, 10:17 PM
So you say being in FCS is being "left behind" or not having football? xchinscratchx

GeauxLions94
February 15th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Yes, left behind.

There are changes coming to the SLC. Whether or not anyone wants to acknowledge them, that's fine.

UTSA is going straight to FBS. There are several other schools who are very interested in FBS - namely TXST, but it would not surprise me if others are also involved (i.e. SHSU, SFA, Lamar).

That's all the Texas schools with football. UT-Arlington and A&M-Corpus Christi are on the sidelines right now and could really have a tough time prepping for the future of the SLC - if they do not get football in place.

So you say being in FCS is being "left behind" or not having football? xchinscratchx

xpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornx

TexasTerror
February 15th, 2010, 08:15 AM

"Left behind" can mean different things...

I think the SLC is set for a series of changes. UT-Arlington is a charter member of the league and for them not to be in the equation would be frowned upon by many affiliated with the school.

What those changes mean is anyone's guess.

Could the SLC go FBS as a league?

You could conceivably have enough schools between the TX contingent (TXST, SHSU, Lamar, SFA - perhaps UTSA) plus schools like Jacksonville State. If non-football schools are in the equation, perhaps UT-Arlington, Oral Roberts, UALR and A&M-Corpus Christi join in on the fun. This rumor was started awhile back.

Could the SLC decide to boot the non-football schools?

Would be tough to remove a charter member (UT-Arlington), but the SLC could decide to remove the non-football schools and replace them with more Div I upstarts (i.e. Tarleton State, West Texas A&M, Texas A&M-Kingsville and Delta State). Perhaps a SWAC school decides to leave that league? Long shot, but you never know. Football leagues are only getting bigger, are they not?

Do enough SLC schools go FBS that the league folds up shop? Or become mostly new Div I programs?

Whether I agree with it or not, I think there are as many as five schools in the league preparing for FBS. Could be six schools. Schools do not want to be left behind if their primary rivals make an action (i.e. the schools impacted by the breakup of the Southwest Conference) and are doing what they can to be in a better situation - whatever that may be. A history lesson shows that a few schools have made moves together (SHSU, TXST, SFA) and would assume they continue to do that.

If most of the league leaves or a sizeable chunk does (particularly the Texas schools), what does that mean for UT-Arlington? Do they want to be in a league with Tarleton State, A&M-Kingsville, etc? With none of the Texas rivals they are accustomed to and with the remaining La. schools from what could be the break-up? What if those remaining schools tell them they have to get football, due to needing members?

chrisattsu
February 15th, 2010, 08:54 AM

I didn't read left behind as a slight to FCS, but rather being separated from their current Texas rivals/peers.

UT-Arlington and TAMU-CC would be the only Texas teams left in the conference if TXSt/UTSA/Lamar/UTSA decide to reclassify.

I guess the next question then becomes, how would the SLC 'reload'. Assuming that everyone except (two non-football schools) is located in Louisiana and Arkansas, are they really going to look at roadtrips to West Texas schools?

There is not another FCS conference that Corpus or Arlington can join within the region.

TexasTerror
February 15th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I didn't read left behind as a slight to FCS, but rather being separated from their current Texas rivals/peers.

UT-Arlington and TAMU-CC would be the only Texas teams left in the conference if TXSt/UTSA/Lamar/UTSA decide to reclassify.

Don't forget Stephen F. Austin! xnonox

I guess the next question then becomes, how would the SLC 'reload'. Assuming that everyone except (two non-football schools) is located in Louisiana and Arkansas, are they really going to look at roadtrips to West Texas schools?

There is not another FCS conference that Corpus or Arlington can join within the region.

That could make things very interesting. Would think that Houston Baptist may be in the equation, especially if SHSU, SFA and Lamar left. That'd allow the conference to remain a foothold in Houston - especially if the SLC hoops tournament is still played here.

So many questions...

JSU02
February 15th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I hope for their sake they leave that track behind too :pumpuke:
Maybe they could relocate the track around the basketball court up on that stage? xlolx

chrisattsu
February 15th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Don't forget Stephen F. Austin! xnonox

That could make things very interesting. Would think that Houston Baptist may be in the equation, especially if SHSU, SFA and Lamar left. That'd allow the conference to remain a foothold in Houston - especially if the SLC hoops tournament is still played here.

So many questions...

Man.. I got UTSA twice and forgot about SFA.

In regards to HBU, would the conference really be willing to add another non-football team (HBU)? Would they really want to keep the tournament in Katy (West Houston, for those of you not familiar with Texas) when everyone else is east of there?

TexasTerror
February 15th, 2010, 10:36 AM
In regards to HBU, would the conference really be willing to add another non-football team (HBU)?

Depends on the direction of the league...

I think that if the league added a non-football team, they would add Houston Baptist (once their facilities were in place), especially if the league were to lose SFA, Lamar and SHSU - who are the closest links to the Houston area.