PDA

View Full Version : GA Southern May Land Arkansas QB

TexasTerror
December 30th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Three full seasons of I-AA football if Mortensen decides to transfer near home to Georgia Southern. It'd be a huge pickup considering his credentials from when 22 Div I-A programs were fighting it out for him. Apparently he likes the Eagles coach and wants to move home. What's the word out of Statesboro? Instant starter?

------
Mortensen may land at Ga. Southern
Arkansas QB pondering a transfer

By CHIP TOWERS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 12/30/05

Alex Mortensen may be coming home. Well, at least close to home.

Mortensen, a graduate of Atlanta's Landmark Christian High, is considering transferring from Arkansas to Georgia Southern. The redshirt freshman has filled out "permission to contact" paperwork — essentially a request to transfer — and already has had conversations with new Georgia Southern coach Brian VanGorder.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/1205/30mortensen_.html

GaSouthern
December 31st, 2005, 04:08 PM
He will fight for the job, no positions are filled but if he comes... I expect him or ANOTHER I-A trans to get / fight for the job.

SoCon48
December 31st, 2005, 04:46 PM
Three full seasons of I-AA football if Mortensen decides to transfer near home to Georgia Southern. It'd be a huge pickup considering his credentials from when 22 Div I-A programs were fighting it out for him. Apparently he likes the Eagles coach and wants to move home. What's the word out of Statesboro? Instant starter?

------

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/1205/30mortensen_.html

Wel, maybe a ringer like that can restore them to their former days of glory. We'll see. :rotateh:

ButlerGSU
December 31st, 2005, 05:43 PM
I honestly don't see him playing for GSU in 2006. It's all rumors at this point.

Have a great New Years everyone,

Eaglegus2
January 1st, 2006, 05:01 PM
I honestly don't see him playing for GSU in 2006. It's all rumors at this point.

Have a great New Years everyone,

It may be rumors, but I look for Alex Mortenson to transfer to GSU.

Also, the Eastern Illinois fans will be interested to know that Roy Wittke will be accompanying Mr. Mortenson to GSU. We know what Wittke did with the offense of Eastern Illinois and their quarterback Tony Romo. :hurray: :beerchug:

ASU Kep
January 2nd, 2006, 07:50 AM
Is Jayson Foster going to stick around and change position?

Eaglegus2
January 2nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
Is Jayson Foster going to stick around and change position?

Yes indeed!!!

ButlerGSU
January 2nd, 2006, 02:42 PM
Foster would just go back to the position he was recruited to play anyway, wide receiver. He did a good job playing WR his freshman year.

I still don't believe this will happen.

Sly Fox
January 2nd, 2006, 04:53 PM
With Mustain appearing to stick with his commitment to play for the Hogs, that could have a bearing on Mortensen's mindset.

EIU86
January 2nd, 2006, 05:04 PM
Wittke is a class act. I have always hoped he would be interested and would be considered for the next EIU coach when the time comes.

Is GSU looking to become a little more balanced offensively. I always thought Wittke's specialty was the passing game.

gsugt1
January 2nd, 2006, 09:15 PM
Foster would just go back to the position he was recruited to play anyway, wide receiver. He did a good job playing WR his freshman year.

I still don't believe this will happen.

FWIW He was recruited as a QB. He came to GSU to run the option. Per Jayson Foster.

DinoDex200
January 4th, 2006, 01:08 PM

Does this mean his dad might become a correspondent for I-AA.org?? :)

His dad's Chris Mortensen, btw, in case anyone didn't know. I'm sure you all did, so I just look like a pompous now...er...again... :D

FUwolfpacker
January 6th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Arkansas's Scout.com site is reporting that Alex Mortensen will indeed transfer to Georgia Southern. Big pick up for GSU.

Baldy
January 6th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Arkansas's Scout.com site is reporting that Alex Mortensen will indeed transfer to Georgia Southern. Big pick up for GSU.

I'm afraid he's the first of many.
I heard Jimtavis Walker has enrolled at GSU, also. I haven't heard if he's planning to play football or not though.

BestOfBreed
January 6th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I'm afraid he's the first of many.
I heard Jimtavis Walker has enrolled at GSU, also. I haven't heard if he's planning to play football or not though.

How much eligibility does Walker have left? I was thinking just one year.

ack
January 7th, 2006, 01:25 AM
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/sports/stories/0107mortensen.html

Alex Mortensen is transferring to Georgia Southern.He informed Brian VanGorder tonight," Chris Mortensen said Friday. "He's not ready to talk about it tonight but it's a done deal."

Baldy
January 7th, 2006, 01:32 AM
How much eligibility does Walker have left? I was thinking just one year.

Walker is a Senior. Being he's a hometown kid, maybe he came home only to finish out his degree. He has wayyyy too much baggage to try to play football for his 3rd team in 3 years, IMO.