PDA

View Full Version : The Future of the Gridiron Classic

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Just wanted to get this straight - the game will now feature the NEC runner-up against the Pioneer League champion?

What does the Pioneer League think about sending their champion to face the runner-up (if not third place team in years a second NEC team is selected) in a postseason game?

Is the opportunity worth it? Athletically? Financially?

Does the Pioneer and NEC help with the financial issues of putting this game together? Namely the travel for the 'visiting' school?

lc83
February 15th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I once heard that the NEC and PFL split travel cost each year regardless of which conference was hosting that particular year. Don't quote me on that though!

I also heard that there was no Gridiron Classic whatsoever going forward. Its at-large bid or bust for a PFL champion...

TexasTerror
February 15th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I also heard that there was no Gridiron Classic whatsoever going forward. Its at-large bid or bust for a PFL champion...

Guess whoever is entering information into Wikipedia is wrong if that's true. Hopefully one of our non-scholarship friends can get that question answered...

The Pioneer, if I am not mistaken, is in the process or has applied for an auto-bid. They may have it in time for '11 or '12, which means further expansion!

May as well go to 24 teams.

danefan
February 15th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Gridiron Classic is a no-go right now.

The 2009 game was a 1 year extension to the contract which expired after the 2008 game. I highly doubt they will send the 2nd place team.

401ks
February 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Guess whoever is entering information into Wikipedia is wrong...

xeekx

-

TexasTerror
February 15th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Gridiron Classic is a no-go right now.

The 2009 game was a 1 year extension to the contract which expired after the 2008 game. I highly doubt they will send the 2nd place team.

Sending a second place team to a postseason game is not out of the ordinary.

The Heritage Bowl featured a MEAC #2 against the SWAC #1 for most of the existence of the contest.

xeekx

You would be surprised. I've seen numerous message board(s) quoting Wikipedia before as a legitimate source. xwhistlex

PhoenixSupreme
February 15th, 2010, 08:38 PM

The Heritage Bowl featured a MEAC #2 against the SWAC #1 for most of the existence of the contest.

It still wouldn't feel right sending a league champion to an away match against a runner-up from another league that is roughly equal in terms of conference strength, as in what you initially said sending the PFL champion to the NEC #2 (or #3)

Syntax Error
February 15th, 2010, 08:52 PM

xconfusedx

Could you post the stats on that?