PDA

View Full Version : UNCC Students to vote on Football

drm7336
February 12th, 2010, 07:40 AM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/1242370.html

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Looks like this is the Board of Regents voting, not as much the students - who are there in support...

A group of about 15 students sporting their 49er regalia gathered on campus before sunrise this morning, ready to tackle what could be an important day in their fight to establish football at UNC Charlotte.

The group carpooled to Chapel Hill, where the UNC Board of Governors is expected to vote today on a student fee increase that would fund the creation of a football program at the university. That team would take the field by the 2013-2014 school year.

moss2k
February 12th, 2010, 08:59 AM
fee increased was passed, football is now a reality for Charlotte!

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2010, 09:05 AM
fee increased was passed, football is now a reality for Charlotte!

I am sure that this only adds to all the conference realignment/expansion talk.

Congrats UNCC on getting football!

chrisattsu
February 12th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Way to go Niners!

Ninerballin
February 12th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Man it sure does feel good to finally have football! :D xthumbsupx

49RFootballNow
February 12th, 2010, 10:34 AM
It's been a long struggle for us, but our day has finally come and it feels very good.

We can now pursue stadium/football center construction firms and the money is there. The entire UNC System budget still must pass the state house this Summer but they don't deal with fees directly so this is now a done deal. Click on the picture in my signature if you'd like to see the stadium renderings at 15,000 and 40,000 seats.

I'd also like to let all of you guys know how football at Charlotte came to be. It wasn't in back rooms or administrators' offices. Our AD didn't wake up one day and the notion popped into her head. No, none of these caused UNC Charlotte to explore adding football.

It was a message board.

A message board let us vent and moan about getting booted from CUSA and how not having football was the reason. A message board allowed the fans to meet and organize the Charlotte Football Initative. Without the grass roots campaign launched from a message board none of this would be happening today. Message boards often take a beating from sports personalities and media, but they can be used for good. A message board just like this one.

www.ninernation.net

The Cats
February 12th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Congrats.... college fans should have a football team to call their own.

49RFootballNow
February 12th, 2010, 01:58 PM
It's Official!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/story/1242370.html

Go NINERS!

49RFootballNow
February 12th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Congrats.... college fans should have a football team to call their own.

The Cats ready for a road game in Charlotte in 2013?:D

WileECoyote06
February 12th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I wonder what the WSSU NAA president is going to tell Erskine now?

Hooner49
February 12th, 2010, 03:11 PM
...waiting on the App fans to tell us another reason why football will fail at Charlotte.

2013 can't come soon enough!

AppAlum2003
February 12th, 2010, 03:24 PM

And THIS right here is the attitude the rest of us have a problem with. UNCC fans refuse to accept that they are going to have to BUILD a program. They just automatically assume everyone's going to have to bow down to their will and accept that UNCC is the best football team in the state. In fact... the entire city of Charlotte echoes these sentiments everywhere else.

Hooner49
February 12th, 2010, 03:26 PM
And THIS right here is the attitude the rest of us have a problem with. UNCC fans refuse to accept that they are going to have to BUILD a program. They just automatically assume everyone's going to have to bow down to their will and accept that UNCC is the best football team in the state. In fact... the entire city of Charlotte echoes these sentiments everywhere else.

I'm not sure how playfully asking a Western fan about playing us in the future is arrogant.

Get over yourselves.

49RFootballNow
February 12th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure how playfully asking a Western fan about playing us in the future is arrogant.

Get over yourselves.

Guess that means App doesn't want to play us because we're beneath them, oh well.

More than happy to play Western instead if our friend here's opinion represents those that schedule App's games. I have no problem playing either or anyone.xtwocentsx

It's a great day for us.xhurrayx

Texcat34
February 12th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Congrats Niners and good luck on building your program.

Syntax Error
February 12th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Good job niner fans, good luck in FBS. Maybe the messageboard there should advocate a stay in FCS?

49RFootballNow
February 12th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I wonder what the WSSU NAA president is going to tell Erskine now?

Serious question, how much private/outside funding did WSSU raise before asking for the fee increases to move up to DI?

Congrats Niners and good luck on building your program.

Thank you!

Good job niner fans, good luck in FBS. Maybe the messageboard there should advocate a stay in FCS?

Thank you, I think.

Saint3333
February 12th, 2010, 06:15 PM

If you think ASU fans don't respect the FCS and are trying to get support from UNCC fans for this level of football you are wasting your time.

WileECoyote06
February 12th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Serious question, how much private/outside funding did WSSU raise before asking for the fee increases to move up to DI?

Thank you!

Thank you, I think.

Not sure but either way, if one UNC school can raise fees for athletics, the others should be able to as well.

AppAlum2003
February 12th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Not sure but either way, if one UNC school can raise fees for athletics, the others should be able to as well.

Mike Rucker said so....

The Cats
February 12th, 2010, 07:32 PM

I congratulate you, and you want to talk crap? Some 49er fans obviously don't live in reality. But to answer your question, I think the Catamounts are available. xcoffeex

moss2k
February 12th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I congratulate you, and you want to talk crap? Some 49er fans obviously don't live in reality. But to answer your question, I think the Catamounts are available. xcoffeex

how is that talking crap? We're going to have home games in our first season. WCU coming to play Charlotte at home isn't smack talk. Damn you guys are sensitive.

ThompsonThe
February 12th, 2010, 08:34 PM
how is that talking crap? We're going to have home games in our first season. WCU coming to play Charlotte at home isn't smack talk. Damn you guys are sensitive.

No, you guys are jubie talkers, but that's beside the point.

WileECoyote06
February 12th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Mike Rucker said so....

Could you give more information?

Saint3333
February 12th, 2010, 08:56 PM

Can't disagree that WCU fans are sensitive, but UNCC isn't likely to schedule a SoCon team in year 1 of football, but hey Georgia St is playing a BCS school its first year. I'd go the ODU route if I were you. Here was ODU's first season schedule:

Chowan (NC)
Virginia Union
Jacksonville (FL)
Monmouth (NJ)
Fordham (NY)
Presbyterian (SC)
Campbell (NC)
Savannah St. (GA)
Georgetown (DC)
North Carolina Central
Virginia Military Institute

49RFootballNow
February 12th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Could you give more information?

He's being funny. Mike Rucker and Mike Minter have been celebrity ambassadors for our football efforts, and Minter has been extremely outspoken about wanting to be our head coach.

I have no idea of the details about WSSU’s fee increase proposal, but I do know that ours does not violate the Board of Governors’ imposed annual fee increase cap of 6.5%. The major part of our fee increase was the debt service fee for stadium/football center construction of $120 annually with a $12.00 in the athletic fees for next year for a total of $132. I know that this amount is exactly a 6.5% increase. I could be wrong but I do believe that WSSU asked for a fee increase in the $400 range, which without a doubt would have exceeded the 6.5% cap.

I’m also not sure if WSSU was asking for a debt service fee increase which is essentially a fee to pay off a loan for capital projects (facility improvements) that ends as soon as the debt is paid off; or if it was an athletics fee increase request (for annual operations costs) that usually never come off and so are basically permanent increases in overall student fees. Clearly the BoG would have balked at a permanent fee increase that also exceeded the cap limit. We plan to increase our athletics fees per annum by $50 for a total of $200 increase starting next year, but this also will not exceed the cap limits in those years.

Of note to the App fans on the board, App was granted a $100 debt service fee increase to pay for additional facilities needed in Plemmons Student Union.
https://www.northcarolina.edu/bog/index.php?mode=browse_premeeting&code=bog&mid=487

ODU12thMan
February 12th, 2010, 10:41 PM
..and another piece of an even stronger CAA football conference for 2013 falls into place. Welcome.

WileECoyote06
February 12th, 2010, 11:02 PM
He's being funny. Mike Rucker and Mike Minter have been celebrity ambassadors for our football efforts, and Minter has been extremely outspoken about wanting to be our head coach.

I have no idea of the details about WSSU’s fee increase proposal, but I do know that ours does not violate the Board of Governors’ imposed annual fee increase cap of 6.5%. The major part of our fee increase was the debt service fee for stadium/football center construction of $120 annually with a $12.00 in the athletic fees for next year for a total of $132. I know that this amount is exactly a 6.5% increase. I could be wrong but I do believe that WSSU asked for a fee increase in the $400 range, which without a doubt would have exceeded the 6.5% cap.

I’m also not sure if WSSU was asking for a debt service fee increase which is essentially a fee to pay off a loan for capital projects (facility improvements) that ends as soon as the debt is paid off; or if it was an athletics fee increase request (for annual operations costs) that usually never come off and so are basically permanent increases in overall student fees. Clearly the BoG would have balked at a permanent fee increase that also exceeded the cap limit. We plan to increase our athletics fees per annum by $50 for a total of $200 increase starting next year, but this also will not exceed the cap limits in those years.

Of note to the App fans on the board, App was granted a $100 debt service fee increase to pay for additional facilities needed in Plemmons Student Union.
https://www.northcarolina.edu/bog/index.php?mode=browse_premeeting&code=bog&mid=487

The technicalities aren't important. The Board just made a hypocritical decision, no matter how you slice it.

Just one year ago, Erskine Bowles was rallying against the increase at WSSU; and now he's rallying for Charlotte? In addition, Charlotte had the opportunity to watch everything WSSU did wrong, so they wouldn' t make the same mistakes. Everyone knows the BOG is all politics and friends. . . who's pockets were laced for this one?

I guess WSSU should have brought some doe-eyed students and their cheerleading team with their president . . xthumbsdownx

As I understand the WSSU National Alumni president was scheduled to meet with Erskine Bowles tomorrow; and it looks like he's being saved by the snow. . xbangxxbangx

I hope they name a replacement quickly.

49RFootballNow
February 13th, 2010, 04:37 AM
The technicalities aren't important. The Board just made a hypocritical decision, no matter how you slice it.

Just one year ago, Erskine Bowles was rallying against the increase at WSSU; and now he's rallying for Charlotte? In addition, Charlotte had the opportunity to watch everything WSSU did wrong, so they wouldn' t make the same mistakes. Everyone knows the BOG is all politics and friends. . . who's pockets were laced for this one?

I guess WSSU should have brought some doe-eyed students and their cheerleading team with their president . . xthumbsdownx

As I understand the WSSU National Alumni president was scheduled to meet with Erskine Bowles tomorrow; and it looks like he's being saved by the snow. . xbangxxbangx

I hope they name a replacement quickly.

Details are technicalities huh?

WileECoyote06
February 13th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Details are technicalities huh?

Please don't take this as 'hate' against the Charlotte football program. I believe UNCC should have a football team if they so choose. I don't agree with Bowles being openly supportive of UNCC while publicly criticizing WSSU's efforts. No matter how you spin the percentages; either way it is a fee hike, that is not being used to satisfy the core mission of the university. Charlotte will have the highest athletic fees in the state, which would have been the same result of the WSSU proposal.

He has been one of the most political system presidents in recent memory. I hope the WSSU NAA president takes him to task for his hypocrisy.

WestCoastAggie
February 13th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Please don't take this as 'hate' against the Charlotte football program. I believe UNCC should have a football team if they so choose. I don't agree with Bowles being openly supportive of UNCC while publicly criticizing WSSU's efforts. No matter how you spin the percentages; either way it is a fee hike, that is not being used to satisfy the core mission of the university. Charlotte will have the highest athletic fees in the state, which would have been the same result of the WSSU proposal.

He has been one of the most political system presidents in recent memory. I hope the WSSU NAA president takes him to task for his hypocrisy.

Please note Charlotte, this is nothing against the 49er football program. This is about the UNC Board & Erskine not being fair across the board. Either You all and WSSU should have gotten their request or no one should have gotten it.

Hooner49
February 13th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Please note Charlotte, this is nothing against the 49er football program. This is about the UNC Board & Erskine not being fair across the board. Either You all and WSSU should have gotten their request or no one should have gotten it.

I agree, but there's nothing we can do about it. We can only request for ourselves. Moving on...

WestCoastAggie
February 13th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I agree, but there's nothing we can do about it. We can only request for ourselves. Moving on...

There is plenty that can and will be done. Im not sure it would work but it's better than nothing.

This is way bigger than football right now.

The best thing for us to do would be for Charlotte to back WSSU when their people
question the board on their decision not to grant WSSU's request.

TexasTerror
February 14th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Was just looking at the list of Division I football programs in the state of North Carolina and there's a very large amount. It is not like North Carolina is known as a football factory or is it known for having a huge population...

ACC/FCS
Univ of North Carolina
North Carolina State
Wake Forest
Duke

C-USA/FBS
East Carolina

SoCon/FCS
Appalachian State
Elon
Western Carolina

MEAC/FCS
North Carolina A&T
North Carolina Central (in '11)

Big South/FCS
Gardner-Webb

Pioneer League/FCS
Davidson
Campbell

That's 13 right there, without Charlotte. Isn't Winthrop talking about joining the Pioneer League? So much football! And just think, Winston Salem State decided to move down from Div I, back to Div II.

WileECoyote06
February 15th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Was just looking at the list of Division I football programs in the state of North Carolina and there's a very large amount. It is not like North Carolina is known as a football factory or is it known for having a huge population...

ACC/FCS
Univ of North Carolina
North Carolina State
Wake Forest
Duke

C-USA/FBS
East Carolina

SoCon/FCS
Appalachian State
Elon
Western Carolina

MEAC/FCS
North Carolina A&T

Big South/FCS
Gardner-Webb

Pioneer League/FCS
Davidson
Campbell

That's 13 right there, without Charlotte. Isn't Winthrop talking about joining the Pioneer League? So much football! And just think, Winston Salem State decided to move down from Div I, back to Div II.

The addition of football to Charlotte brings the number of football playing colleges to 31 in NC. Complete saturation of the recruiting base.

Division II CIAA
FSU, ECSU, WSSU, Chowan, Livingstone, Shaw, St. Augustine, Johnson C Smith

Division II SAC
Catawba, Lenoir-Rhyne, Brevard, Mars Hill, Wingate

Division II Independent
UNC-P

Division III
Methodist, NC Wesleyan, Greensboro

ASUMountaineer
February 15th, 2010, 07:31 AM

ACC/FCS
Univ of North Carolina
North Carolina State
Wake Forest
Duke

C-USA/FBS
East Carolina

SoCon/FCS
Appalachian State
Elon
Western Carolina

MEAC/FCS
North Carolina A&T

Big South/FCS
Gardner-Webb

Pioneer League/FCS
Davidson
Campbell

North Carolina is the 10th most populated state. Pretty sizeable population, but we are loaded with Div. I football programs.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2010/ranks/rank01.html

49RFootballNow
February 15th, 2010, 07:41 AM
There is plenty that can and will be done. Im not sure it would work but it's better than nothing.

This is way bigger than football right now.

The best thing for us to do would be for Charlotte to back WSSU when their people
question the board on their decision not to grant WSSU's request.

I'd like to form an educated opinion on WSSU's fee request; however, I have yet to hear much detail about it. As for UNC Charlotte backing WSSU's fee increase that would be a first in the UNC System. There are 17 hungry mouths to feed and only 2 get the majority of the money. Let's be frank about the situation. Charlotte has been just as neglected as the rest of the UNC System schools. I wouldn't be surprised if giving us the fee increase in football wasn't much more than an attempt to appease us and keep us quiet about a medical school this city and region desperately needs. I hope this BoG members don't think that we'll not press them on this issue because they helped us on football, because Charlotte in the largest metro area in the nation without a medical school and that's just plain negligence on UNC's part.

49RFootballNow
February 15th, 2010, 07:47 AM
North Carolina is the 10th most populated state. Pretty sizeable population, but we are loaded with Div. I football programs.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2010/ranks/rank01.html

Plus, most of the athletes that play in our state schools are not residents of the state of North Carolina.

Mr. Bojangles
February 15th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I'd like to form an educated opinion on WSSU's fee request; however, I have yet to hear much detail about it.

I don't have much info to go by either, so I did a little research.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/UNC+may+deny+WSSU's+bid+for+fee+raise+to+play+Divi sion+1-a01611784672

WSSU's athletics fees for the current academic year are $579 per full-time student. Only one other school in the UNC system with an athletics program has a higher fee - UNC Asheville, at $590 a student. Reaves requested a 31.3 percent increase for next year, to $760.

Reaves told faculty and staff members who attended an open session at WSSU on Jan. 6 that he would request an increase in student fees to help offset the deficit in athletics,

While an athletic fee of this size would not be out of line with other institutions in the same athletic conference it would be hundreds of dollars higher than any other UNC campus.

"Given the small size of WSSU's student body (about 6,400 full-time and part-time students), its stadium rental costs, the relatively small outside financial support the campus receives, and other factors, WSSU had no other revenue options to finance the transition beyond student fees."

WileECoyote06
February 15th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Read my comment at the top of the page.

Touchdown Yosef
February 16th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Congrats again Charlotte, I look forward to seeing App play in Charlotte and I am very confident that it will happen.

Talent will continue to be at a premium in NC as we will soon have as many Div 1 programs as Texas.

WestCoastAggie
February 16th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I don't have much info to go by either, so I did a little research.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/UNC+may+deny+WSSU's+bid+for+fee+raise+to+play+Divi sion+1-a01611784672

WSSU's athletics fees for the current academic year are $579 per full-time student. Only one other school in the UNC system with an athletics program has a higher fee - UNC Asheville, at $590 a student. Reaves requested a 31.3 percent increase for next year, to $760.

Reaves told faculty and staff members who attended an open session at WSSU on Jan. 6 that he would request an increase in student fees to help offset the deficit in athletics,

While an athletic fee of this size would not be out of line with other institutions in the same athletic conference it would be hundreds of dollars higher than any other UNC campus.

"Given the small size of WSSU's student body (about 6,400 full-time and part-time students), its stadium rental costs, the relatively small outside financial support the campus receives, and other factors, WSSU had no other revenue options to finance the transition beyond student fees."

True students would have the burden of the fees, like UNCC, but it would have paid off in the long run especially after a few years in the MEAC playing A&T & NCCU and the VA Schools on a regular basis.

Also from my understanding, Enrollment was growing fast at WSSU.

Either way, WSSU got hosed by the UNC BoG. xthumbsdownx