PDA

View Full Version : Furman's Schedule Announced

PaladinFan
February 12th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Things of note:
-There's a bit of griping as to the lack of a week 1 game (presumably that will be the off week).
-The schedule alternates home and away for the whole season (bizzare)
-First time USC has agreed to play us since we beat them in the early 80s
-SoCon flipped the schedule a bit. Generally Furman's early games (WCU and UTC) are now late, some of their late games (Wofford) are now early. Still end with GSU which I always appreciate. Beating them adds an upbeat to what has been a few mediocre seasons in a row.

Also worthy of not

09/11/10 vs. Colgate GREENVILLE TBA
09/18/10 at South Carolina Columbia, S.C. TBA
09/25/10 vs. The Citadel * GREENVILLE TBA
10/02/10 at Wofford * Spartanburg, S.C. TBA
10/09/10 vs. Howard GREENVILLE TBA
10/16/10 at Samford * Birmingham, Ala. TBA
10/23/10 vs. Chattanooga * GREENVILLE TBA
10/30/10 at Appalachian State Boone, N.C. TBA
11/06/10 vs. Western Carolina * GREENVILLE TBA
11/13/10 at Elon * Elon, N.C. TBA
11/20/10 vs. Georgia Southern * GREENVILLE TBA

Eaglesrus
February 12th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I seem to recall the Eagles having some success in Travelers Rest on occasion.

PaladinFan
February 12th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I seem to recall the Eagles having some success in Travelers Rest on occasion.

Undoubtedly. xnodx

I'm not sure what the season series stands as now. I guess its 4-4 since 2002 and Furman has won four of the last six?

Either way. It kind of lessens the blow of another playoff miss when we can beat you guys. :)

Eaglesrus
February 12th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Undoubtedly. xnodx

I'm not sure what the season series stands as now. I guess its 4-4 since 2002 and Furman has won four of the last six?

Either way. It kind of lessens the blow of another playoff miss when we can beat you guys. :)

I believe it's 13 & 8 our way overall, but who's counting :)

OL FU
February 12th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I believe it's 13 & 8 our way overall, but who's counting :)

You pick your timeframe, we'll pick ours:p:D

OL FU
February 12th, 2010, 08:40 AM
We best be 8-3 with that schedule or the howls for heads will be deafening. xnodx

PaladinFan
February 12th, 2010, 10:11 AM
We best be 8-3 with that schedule or the howls for heads will be deafening. xnodx

I agree. With Furman's roster I think they have the talent to beat just about anyone. I think we have a chance to be very good on offense. Defense will still be young, but I really feel the potential is there to have one of those App State-like "we don't care how many points you score, we'll score more" type offenses.

OL FU
February 12th, 2010, 12:51 PM
WE have one sure loss. We should not lose to Howard or Colgate. You have to figure with GSU and El Cid switching offenses and playing them at home, we should win those. Improving Western Carolina and Chatt are at home so the advantage is still ours. Toughest games should be Elon, EC and ASU away. Whether we will or not, we should pick up one of those probably Elon or WC. The spoiler may be Samford. A very worrisome team that has come within a blocked field goal and extra point of taking us to OT in both games.

kdinva
February 12th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Things of note:
-There's a bit of griping as to the lack of a week 1 game (presumably that will be the off week).
-The schedule alternates home and away for the whole season (bizzare)
-First time USC has agreed to play us since we beat them in the early 80s
-SoCon flipped the schedule a bit. Generally Furman's early games (WCU and UTC) are now late, some of their late games (Wofford) are now early. Still end with GSU which I always appreciate. Beating them adds an upbeat to what has been a few mediocre seasons in a row.

Also worthy of not

09/11/10 vs. Colgate GREENVILLE TBA
09/18/10 at South Carolina Columbia, S.C. TBA
09/25/10 vs. The Citadel * GREENVILLE TBA
10/02/10 at Wofford * Spartanburg, S.C. TBA
10/09/10 vs. Howard GREENVILLE TBA
10/16/10 at Samford * Birmingham, Ala. TBA
10/23/10 vs. Chattanooga * GREENVILLE TBA
10/30/10 at Appalachian State Boone, N.C. TBA
11/06/10 vs. Western Carolina * GREENVILLE TBA
11/13/10 at Elon * Elon, N.C. TBA
11/20/10 vs. Georgia Southern * GREENVILLE TBA

Furman v. The Citadel should always be in November (as we hope VMI v. The Citadel will, too, starting in 2012)xpeacex

ASUG8
February 12th, 2010, 03:19 PM

I'll go ahead and write this down for the August Upstate get together :p

Bogus Megapardus
February 12th, 2010, 03:32 PM
We should not lose to . . . Colgate.

I am looking forward to this game in particular. As a PL partisan, I'll probably have to side with Colgate, but this will be a great test of how well a good PL team stacks up against a good SoCon team. I hope it will be available on line.

SU DOG
February 12th, 2010, 04:02 PM
WE have one sure loss. We should not lose to Howard or Colgate. You have to figure with GSU and El Cid switching offenses and playing them at home, we should win those. Improving Western Carolina and Chatt are at home so the advantage is still ours. Toughest games should be Elon, EC and ASU away. Whether we will or not, we should pick up one of those probably Elon or WC. The spoiler may be Samford. A very worrisome team that has come within a blocked field goal and extra point of taking us to OT in both games.

We have every reason to believe that Samford will field its best team since joining the SoCon. xhurrayx

Syntax Error
February 12th, 2010, 04:13 PM
We should not lose to Howard or Colgate...

Was Colgate any good last year? xcoffeex

PaladinFan
February 12th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I am looking forward to this game in particular. As a PL partisan, I'll probably have to side with Colgate, but this will be a great test of how well a good PL team stacks up against a good SoCon team. I hope it will be available on line.

No offense intended, but a mediocre Furman team went to Hamilton two years ago and beat the stuffing out of the Raiders on their field. I think Furman is heavily favored in that game.

Syntax Error
February 12th, 2010, 04:32 PM
No offense intended, but a mediocre Furman team went to Hamilton two years ago and beat the stuffing out of the Raiders on their field. I think Furman is heavily favored in that game.

Not a mediocre Furman team and not a stuffing beating.

Final GPI:

21 Furman 22.75
24 Colgate 23.88

Paladins beat the Raiders 42-21 (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2008/09/20/furman-s-ground-game-too-much-for-colgat?blog=2)

23 Furman 23.13
37 Colgate 32.13

Bogus Megapardus
February 12th, 2010, 04:46 PM

No offense taken - none at all. I'm still looking forward to the game for the reason I said. Colgate is always a big game for Lafayette, and they, more than any other PL team, have had our number. We managed to get by them last year in one of the most insane games I've ever witnessed, and I'm interested in seeing how they do against non-PL and non-Ivy competition this year. After all, we have to face Colgate again and again and again . . . . xrolleyesx

Our teams are built to face other PL and Ivy schemes and personnel but there is a general sense that that might be changing to some extent in years to come as the PL begins to schedule more and more scholarship opponents. So I think the Colgate/Furman game will be a nice benchmark for where we are and how far we, as a league, have to go.

I will say this, however - if it truly ever comes to pass, a full-scholarship Patsy League would be nothing to sneeze at in FCS. After all, despite all the good-natured ribbing we in the PL take, how many non-merit aid conferences in all of football are better?

Syntax Error
February 12th, 2010, 05:04 PM
... how many non-merit aid conferences in all of football are better?
Ummmmmm, nevermind.

WestCoastAggie
February 13th, 2010, 09:24 AM

Don't overlook Colgate. They will not be half-steppin' and they are looking for a key OOC victory for a possible At-Large bid if the don't win the Patriot.

Saint3333
February 13th, 2010, 10:08 AM

Final GPI:

21 Furman 22.75
24 Colgate 23.88

Paladins beat the Raiders 42-21 (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2008/09/20/furman-s-ground-game-too-much-for-colgat?blog=2)

23 Furman 23.13
37 Colgate 32.13

A 20-25 ranked Furman team would be considered a down year for Furman fans. From 1999 to 2006 Furman finished the season ranked no lower than 12th. A 3 TD win on the road is a pretty good beating.

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2010, 10:22 AM
A 20-25 ranked Furman team would be considered a down year for Furman fans. From 1999 to 2006 Furman finished the season ranked no lower than 12th. A 3 TD win on the road is a pretty good beating.

We're talking a long road trip for a team from South Carolina to New York. Colgate made the playoffs, Furman went 6-5. Some may not consider a 21 point win on the road a stuffing beating, but Furman won going away.

Not saying Colgate is a bad team. Not at all. I just think Furman will be favored in Greenville, a place they are generally very tough to beat.

Saint3333
February 13th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Paladin, I agree with every statement you've made this thread.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 13th, 2010, 01:32 PM
There's only one question mark for Furman as far as I'm concerned - Chris Forcier. I know some Furman fans seem to think he is the next big star in the SoCon, but I'm not convinced. This season could be a case of "you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone" with Sorrells (who is an underrated player IMO). The Furples will win the SoCon if Forcier starts to get his rhythm going, though.

zilla
February 13th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Nice schedule. Good luck in 2010!

Looking forward to renewing our series in 2011. xnodx

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2010, 03:01 PM
There's only one question mark for Furman as far as I'm concerned - Chris Forcier. I know some Furman fans seem to think he is the next big star in the SoCon, but I'm not convinced. This season could be a case of "you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone" with Sorrells (who is an underrated player IMO). The Furples will win the SoCon if Forcier starts to get his rhythm going, though.

Forcier is a big question coming into the season. I think it will be a foregone conclusion he gets the starting nod over senior Cody Worley (who is good in his own right). If Forcier lives up to his billing, you may be looking at a very tough Furman team.

I watched Forcier come in and play against Auburn's second team. He has the potential to be incredible. He was the fastest player on the field and threw two 50 yard passes that looked effortless. People cite his lack of playing time last season as an indication he really isn't "that" good. That may be true, but you simply can't take anything away from Jordan Sorrells.

The single knock on him seems to be he is turnover prone. Furman may have to deal with flashes of absolute brilliance coupled with moments of sheer frustration. I remember feeling much the same watching Mike Vick when he was in Atlanta. He could run 50 yards for a score one play, and then kick the ball out of his hand the next. What we do know is that the kid can aboslutely fly and will be in a backfield with three very good running backs (Uhaa, Brown, and Williams). Hopefully he won't even have to throw the ball much :)

SpeedkingATL
February 13th, 2010, 03:19 PM

I thought Forcier looked great running the ball against us late after the game was long decided. Didn't look overly accurate but not the best circumstance for that. I expect him to be a stud and bring some variety to the Furple offense.

Black Saturday is waiting...we still have a few games to make up to even this matchup.xtwocentsx

PaladinFan
February 14th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I thought Forcier looked great running the ball against us late after the game was long decided. Didn't look overly accurate but not the best circumstance for that. I expect him to be a stud and bring some variety to the Furple offense.

Black Saturday is waiting...we still have a few games to make up to even this matchup.xtwocentsx

Ball security is an issue with him, apparently. I think Furman fans expected to see a bit more of him, as a change up to the rather slow footed Sorrells, but he really only played mopup duty.

Most Furman fans are greatly anticipating the return of a running game. Too often the past few years we've struggled running the football, which is very un-Furman like. Lamb committed to the running game last year, and then lost Mike Brown to injury much of the year.

In my mind's eye, I see Furman running an offense similar to App States. A handful of quick backs, good possession recievers who can break tackles, strong offensive line, and a quarterback that puts pressure on the edge of the defense.

OL FU
February 15th, 2010, 06:33 AM

Final GPI:

21 Furman 22.75
24 Colgate 23.88

23 Furman 23.13
37 Colgate 32.13

42-21 is a fairly good beating. IT is possible, but as I said Colgate should not beat Furman expecially in Greenville. :p:p:pxsmiley_wix

I hope, with all the changes, you can finally have some fun just being a poster xthumbsupx

I really think you should come to Greenville for that Gamexnodx

OL FU
February 15th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Don't overlook Colgate. They will not be half-steppin' and they are looking for a key OOC victory for a possible At-Large bid if the don't win the Patriot.

There will be no over looking Colgate. I know they have a good football team, but we should still not lose to them in Greenville

OL FU
February 15th, 2010, 06:37 AM

The questions is the defense. LAst year's offense was good just not a big play offense. The offense should be as good as last year even without Forcier being a superstar. If the defense is only 25% better, we win two more games.

PaladinFan
February 15th, 2010, 09:21 AM
The questions is the defense. LAst year's offense was good just not a big play offense. The offense should be as good as last year even without Forcier being a superstar. If the defense is only 25% better, we win two more games.

I do think the offense was good last season. I think they hurt our defense on occassion by not sustaining drives. The Samford game in particular stands out where Furman raced out to a big lead, and then really couldn't sustain an offense drive most of the second half.

Doesn't matter how good your defense is, when you keep punting the ball back, eventually a team is going to break through.

OL FU
February 15th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I do think the offense was good last season. I think they hurt our defense on occassion by not sustaining drives. The Samford game in particular stands out where Furman raced out to a big lead, and then really couldn't sustain an offense drive most of the second half.

Doesn't matter how good your defense is, when you keep punting the ball back, eventually a team is going to break through.

That's true but we did average 31 points per game and that includes two FBS teams. That's enough to win games.

PaladinFan
February 15th, 2010, 01:17 PM
That's true but we did average 31 points per game and that includes two FBS teams. That's enough to win games.

No doubt. Though the defense was poor, there are at least two games where a little more offensive consistency would have netted wins: Elon and The Citadel. Against Elon, Jordan Sorrells missed RJ Webb twice for open touchdowns (once early in the game, and again across the back of the endzone). Against The Citadel, Sorrells was intercepted twice in the endzone.

Just miscues on those four plays probably cost us a playoff spot.

OL FU
February 15th, 2010, 02:10 PM
No doubt. Though the defense was poor, there are at least two games where a little more offensive consistency would have netted wins: Elon and The Citadel. Against Elon, Jordan Sorrells missed RJ Webb twice for open touchdowns (once early in the game, and again across the back of the endzone). Against The Citadel, Sorrells was intercepted twice in the endzone.

Just miscues on those four plays probably cost us a playoff spot.

You and I keep it up on this thread and we will turn this into the uffp2xlolx

Wait there already is a uffp2xconfusedx

Agreed on Elon. Semi agree on El Cid. I think The Citadel punted once. xeekx Scored 38 points after scoring 10 on WCU the week before. xeekxxeekx

Any way my two cents, we don't need to be in a position where we have to score 30 plus points to win.