View Full Version : SLU, Appy State Share #1 Recruiting Ranking

TexasTerror
February 11th, 2010, 08:31 AM
For what it's worth - Southeastern La. has the number one recruiting class in FCS along with Appalachian State.

Congrats to head coach Mike Lucas on this accolade, regardless of how meaningful or meaningless it is in the eyes of others. You know it does look good on the resume, right?

While Appy State is involved in this one, I hope this brings more attention to the job that Lucas has done at SLU. The Lions have turned the corner and while last year was close to being a breakthrough year, this coming year may truly be it.

HAMMOND – For the first time in school history, Southeastern Louisiana University’s football signing class earned national honors when it was rated No. 1 in the Football Championship Subdivision by Rivals.com.

Southeastern, which last week signed 21 players to a National Letter of Intent and one of three Southland Conference school ranked in the top 10, was tied with three-time FCS national champion Appalachian State with 44 points. Richmond, the 2008 FCS national champion, was third at 38 followed by South Carolina State (38), Northwestern State (26) and Western Carolina (20).

http://www.lionsports.net/news/2010/2/9/FB_0209104024.aspx?path=football

Tribe4SF
February 11th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Key words are "for what it's worth".

msusig
February 11th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Pretty cool, but can't believe they have the #1 recruiting class.

OldSouth
February 11th, 2010, 01:48 PM
We know what the rankings are, but it doesn't seem to take into consideration two stars and below. It appears to me that James Madison's class is far number of quality players than both SLU and App.

I still think App always finds the diamonds in the rough, so I take great stock in their 16 recruits.

Go APPS

Silenoz
February 11th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Sac State is now the team to beat out west in 2012

lionsrking2
February 11th, 2010, 04:40 PM
We know what the rankings are, but it doesn't seem to take into consideration two stars and below. It appears to me that James Madison's class is far number of quality players than both SLU and App.

I still think App always finds the diamonds in the rough, so I take great stock in their 16 recruits.

Go APPS

I said it last year when our class wasn't ranked by Rivals at all, and I'll say it again this year when we're tied for the top (FCS), the Rivals class ranking falls apart the further down in the rankings you go...it's designed to rank the top 40 or 50 FBS classes and for the most part, does a pretty reasonable job in that regard...but with FCS schools signing so many unrated players who were not evaluated, it's impossible to know how many of those kids would be 2 or 3 Star players had they been submitted...plus it's impossible to know the makeup and whatever baggage there may be with the players who were rated highly and fell. Additionally, there are still several FCS classes which haven't been fully registered in the Rivals database to receive an "accurate" ranking, if there is such a thing.

As far as JMU is concerned, I have no doubt they signed a great class, and may in fact be the best when it's all said and done; but not so sure I would use the fact that they signed a bunch of 2-Star 5.0 to 5.1s as an indicator that they signed "more quality players." All that means is they recruited from a pool of players that were submitted and considered on the lower fringe, and not deemed to be impact players...doesn't mean the Rivals evaluations are correct, but for purposes of the argument at hand, they don't bring a lot to the table. I guarantee you there are unrated kids out there who are better prospects.

As far as our class is concerned, I won't claim it's the best, but having gone through hours of raw video and seeing several of them in person, I can definitely say it's a DAMN GOOD ONE and one that will help us build towards being a contender in the SLC, and hopefully the FCS overall...but as is always the case, we won't know for sure for another two or three years.

Syntax Error
February 11th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Key words are "for what it's worth".

Agreed. It is common knowledge that rating recruiting classes is a very very very very very very very iffy thing.

Eight Legger
February 11th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Our understanding on the UR board is that Rivals only includes FCS rankings for the teams that have Rivals sites. Not positive though.

lionsrking2
February 11th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Our understanding on the UR board is that Rivals only includes FCS rankings for the teams that have Rivals sites. Not positive though.

That's not true...they just don't do a great job of compiling all of the FCS classes, unless there's a high school site, or state site that keeps up with it...we have a high school based Rivals site in Louisiana (Pelican Preps) that does a pretty good job of covering the Louisiana FCS recruiting, but they miss a lot of guys.

But you don't have to have an individual school based Rivals site to have your recruits included and class ranked by Rivals.

Syntax Error
February 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM
... you don't have to have an individual school based Rivals site to have your recruits included and class ranked by Rivals.

I think the way a recruit drops in stars once he commits to an FCS team is telling about what matters to Rivals. I've seen it every year, a kid has 4-5 stars then drops to 2-3 once he stops talking with FBS schools and LOIs to an FCS one.

lionsrking2
February 11th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I think the way a recruit drops in stars once he commits to an FCS team is telling about what matters to Rivals. I've seen it every year, a kid has 4-5 stars then drops to 2-3 once he stops talking with FBS schools and LOIs to an FCS one.

Absolutely...we signed a RB this year (Jordan Wells, Round Rock, Tx.) who was a 3-Star, 5.6, and rated as the No. 72 RB nationally, all year...he committed to us back in November, but didn't become public until mid January...as soon as it did, they lowered him to a 2-Star, 5.4...conversely, we had a commitment from a WR (Reggie Travis, Plaquemine, La.) who was not rated at all...he goes to Memphis on the last weekend and he ends up signing with them...out of nowhere, he's a 2-Star with a 5.2...in my opinion, he should have been a 3-Star whether he signed with us or not.

SideLine Shooter
February 11th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Absolutely...we signed a RB this year (Jordan Wells, Round Rock, Tx.) who was a 3-Star, 5.6, and rated as the No. 72 RB nationally, all year...he committed to us back in November, but didn't become public until mid January...as soon as it did, they lowered him to a 2-Star, 5.4...conversely, we had a commitment from a WR (Reggie Travis, Plaquemine, La.) who was not rated at all...he goes to Memphis on the last weekend and he ends up signing with them...out of nowhere, he's a 2-Star with a 5.2...in my opinion, he should have been a 3-Star whether he signed with us or not.

I think you need to check into what the # of stars is really about. I don't think it stands for what you think it stands for. I hope I said that right.xrotatehx

lionsrking2
February 11th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I think you need to check into what the # of stars is really about. I don't think it stands for what you think it stands for. I hope I said that right.xrotatehx

I know what they stand for (or what they're supposed to stand for)...I've been dealing with stuff for a long time, back before there was a Rivals or Scout...I personally know, or have had dealings with, most of the gurus who have been in the business over the last 30 years and I know how most of them operate...it's about selling product first and foremost, but that's another subject for another time.

At the root, it's all about ass coverage on both ends...the kids who get "stars" over the winter and summer, are kids who were "evaluated" at combines or had junior tape submitted, in addition to taking into account the number and quality of FBS offers...if you have a kid who has solid combine measurables, and at least one BCS offer, more than likely he'll be a 3-Star at least...if a kid has at least an FBS offer, he'll be at least a 2-Star of some sort...then you have kids who aren't rated at all but come out of nowhere their senior year...all of the sudden, a BCS school jumps on them and the recruiting services go into "ass-coverage" mode...they'll throw a high 2 or 3-Star on a kid...then you have schools who lobby the recruiting services to bump up kids to make their classes look better, and sometimes the services will lower kids who don't sign with FBS or BCS schools so it doesn't appear they had the player overrated...rarely do they take into account that some kids - who happen to be great players - may feel more comfortable at an FCS school, for whatever reason.

Skjellyfetti
February 11th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I've seen it every year, a kid has 4-5 stars then drops to 2-3 once he stops talking with FBS schools and LOIs to an FCS one.

Who was the last 5-star recruit interested in FCS schools or who signed with FCS schools?

There were only 26 5-star recruits this year. I'm sure it's close to that every year... you really think FCS schools have a shot at a legit top 25 recruit?

I'm sure it's extremely rare with 4-star recruits as well.

Any recruits in anyone's class this year you believe is a legit 4-star or 5-star recruit?

nms1987
February 22nd, 2010, 12:34 AM

The other way of looking at it is that if the FBS schools recruiting a player backoff or withdraw their offers chances are the prospect isn't as good as you thought and his grade probably deserves to be lowered.

But yes, this stuff is obvious an inexact science especially when you get into the FCS recruits who few people have seen much of.

Syntax Error
February 22nd, 2010, 12:54 AM
... if the FBS schools recruiting a player backoff or withdraw their offers chances are the prospect isn't as good as you thought and his grade probably deserves to be lowered.huh? "deserves to be lowered" because the gawdalmighty FBS schools back off? "isn't as good"? LOL!

I am waiting for an explanation on that post nms1987. IMO the line between talent in D-I football is fairly well blurred these days. The kids come out at such a high rate in superb condition that D-I is stocked with similar talent. The difference is the amount of money being spent by the schools. # of coaches, # of tutors, yes-- $$$ backdoor payouts, etc. make the difference. As we see year after year and all through history, FCS churns out great college players and great pros (facts show they churn out the best at both levels).

Syntax Error
February 22nd, 2010, 12:59 AM
Who was the last 5-star recruit interested in FCS schools or who signed with FCS schools?
There were only 26 5-star recruits this year. I'm sure it's close to that every year... you really think FCS schools have a shot at a legit top 25 recruit?
I'm sure it's extremely rare with 4-star recruits as well.
Any recruits in anyone's class this year you believe is a legit 4-star or 5-star recruit?

You kidding me? Look at your own school. You tell me which App recruit was 4-5 star Rivals before he went FCS. Do I have to give you a hint?

nms1987
February 22nd, 2010, 02:27 AM
You kidding me? Look at your own school. You tell me which App recruit was 4-5 star Rivals before he went FCS. Do I have to give you a hint?

Yes.
I'm honestly stumped.

I follow App recruiting pretty closely and I can't think of us signing anyone like that recently.

nms1987
February 22nd, 2010, 02:31 AM
huh? "deserves to be lowered" because the gawdalmighty FBS schools back off? "isn't as good"? LOL
I am waiting for an explanation on that post nms1987. IMO the line between talent in D-I football is fairly well blurred these days. The kids come out at such a high rate in superb condition that D-I is stocked with similar talent. The difference is the amount of money being spent by the schools. # of coaches, # of tutors, yes-- $$$ backdoor payouts, etc. make the difference. As we see year after year and all through history, FCS churns out great college players and great pros (facts show they churn out the best at both levels).

Yes, FCS churns out great players too but you are being 100% delusion if you think FCS players are as good as FBS ones and FCS teams as good as FBS ones.

What percent of NFL draft picks last year came from non-FBS teams? 5 percent? 10 percent?

Exactly one FCS team has ever beaten a ranked FBS team. Ever.

What is the W-L record over the last 5-10 years for FBS vs. FCS matchups?

Yes. FBS players are more talented and their teams are better. It is an indisputable fact.
That doesn't mean FCS football isn't great and fun.

What facts show that the FCS churs out the best players?

nms1987
February 22nd, 2010, 02:49 AM
NFL Pro Bowl Roster analysis...
http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d5d8155c2fa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
Obviously the Pro Bowl is a little bit of a joke but eye balling the 2010 roster at least gives you a quick-n-easy ballpark idea of the best players in the NFL right now.

Heres a breakdown of FCS v FBS in the 2010 Pro Bowl.

QB. 5 FBS. 1 FCS (Romo-EIU)
RB. All 6 FBS.
FB. 1 FBS. 1 D-II
WR. 6 FBS. 2 FCS
TE. 3 FBS plus 1 (Gates) played no college FB, but played college basketball at a school that plays FBS football)
OT. All 5 FBS
OG. All 6 FBS.
C. All 4 FBS.
DE. 5 FBS. 1 FCS (and that 1 FCSer, Allen, only wound up in the FCS not bc he was an overlooked recruit but bc he was too much a **** drunk even in HS for anyone but Idaho State to take a chance on him)
DT. All 6 FBS.
OLB. All 6 FBS (DeMarcus Ware's first year at Troy MAY have occured in Troy's last year in I-AA/FCS)
ILB. 3 FBS. 1 D-III
CB. All 6 FBS.
FS. 3 FBS (all played at Miami!). 1 FCS
SS. 3 FBS. 1 FCS
Special Teams. 7 FBS. 2 FCS. 1 D-II

Additionally 32 players opted out of actually playing. Their breakdown is as follows.
27 FBS. 4 FCS. 1 D-II
So, in total....
103 FBS, 12 FCS, 5 "other".
That means exactly 10% of the NFL Pro Bowl came from FCS vs. 86 % from the FBS and 4% from "others".
What is your support for saying the levels are equal?
This makes FCS look closer to D-II than FBS.

If you say, the NFL shouldn't matter this is all about college ball! I'd agree but, again, FCS has only 1 win EVER against a ranked FBS team.
There isn't really a case to be put together from that standpoint either. So what IS your case?

Saint3333
February 22nd, 2010, 08:14 AM
Terror, lose the "Appy".

For nms, App a few years ago signed Tim Washington, an LSU transfer, who was a four star recruit out of HS. Tim isn't in the top 10 d-lineman at ASU during the 2000's, talent is good, but work ethic and heart are better.

SpeedkingATL
February 22nd, 2010, 10:51 AM
I think with the limited scholarships available that filling specific needs is a big part of the equasion for FCS schools. In that regard I give ASU very high marks this year regardless of stars with the addition of a number of linemen on both sides of he ball and a couple of jucos that might contribute immediately.xtwocentsx

SoCon48
February 22nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
For what it's worth - Southeastern La. has the number one recruiting class in FCS along with Appalachian State.

Congrats to head coach Mike Lucas on this accolade, regardless of how meaningful or meaningless it is in the eyes of others. You know it does look good on the resume, right?

While Appy State is involved in this one, I hope this brings more attention to the job that Lucas has done at SLU. The Lions have turned the corner and while last year was close to being a breakthrough year, this coming year may truly be it.

http://www.lionsports.net/news/2010/2/9/FB_0209104024.aspx?path=football

There is no such university as Appy State just like there is no such place as Texazz..

parr90
February 22nd, 2010, 01:35 PM
Doesnt matter much. I remember playing at GSU in the late 80's and it seemed that on paper we were out matched all over the field each year. It didnt seem to matter then. Although times have changed some I think we will see teams rise to the top that didnt have the best recruiting classes on paper.