PDA

View Full Version : CCU to SoCon?

DKHardee
January 18th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I was at work yesterday and a guy that works at Coastal Carolina said that CCU is looking to leave the Big South and join SoCon? Anyone heard this?

Also, Can anyone give me CCU's 2010 Schedule? Can't find it anywhere.

SumItUp
January 18th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I was at work yesterday and a guy that works at Coastal Carolina said that CCU is looking to leave the Big South and join SoCon? Anyone heard this?

Does the guy that works at CC work in the athletic office or the cafeteria?

zilla
January 18th, 2010, 10:22 PM
2010 Schedule (sorry, don't know actual dates)
=================================
@ West Virginia
@ Towson
GEORGIA SOUTHERN
DELAWARE STATE
@ Richmond
@ Presbyterian
STONY BROOK
@ Gardner-Webb
@ V.M.I.
LIBERTY
CHARLESTON SOUTHERN

Additionally, I haven't heard anything at all about the SoCon.

DKHardee
January 18th, 2010, 10:24 PM

lol, i don't know. Never seen him before. He had on a CCU Polo and I started talking to him. He mentioned it (I thought he was crazy but didnt say anything).

The Cats
January 18th, 2010, 10:39 PM

No doubt the cafeteria..... no way Furman would allow it (much less Davidson, Elon, Wofford, or Samford)

AppMan
January 18th, 2010, 10:39 PM
They can take our place when we leave! :>)

Libertine
January 18th, 2010, 10:43 PM

Your guy's info is about five years old. CCU did make overtures to the SoCon several years ago, even going so far as creating an official media package for the express purpose of selling the conference on them. The SoCon, however, didn't go for it and took Samford instead. That pretty much put an end to the idea.

AppMan
January 18th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Oh darn! I was looking forward to Moving On Up!

DKHardee
January 18th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Your guy's info is about five years old. CCU did make overtures to the SoCon several years ago, even going so far as creating an official media package for the express purpose of selling the conference on them. The SoCon, however, didn't go for it and took Samford instead. That pretty much put an end to the idea.

I'm glad... i'm growing more and more fond of the Big South everyday. Although I hate Liberty (no smack intended) if they win the Big South again in 2010 (hope not), I hope they go deep into the playoffs so the Big South will get some acknowledgement.

DKHardee
January 18th, 2010, 10:55 PM
2010 Schedule (sorry, don't know actual dates)
=================================
@ West Virginia
@ Towson
GEORGIA SOUTHERN
DELAWARE STATE
@ Richmond
@ Presbyterian
STONY BROOK
@ Gardner-Webb
@ V.M.I.
LIBERTY
CHARLESTON SOUTHERN

It would be nice to put up some points on WV.

TheValleyRaider
January 18th, 2010, 11:33 PM

Ahh, I remember those threads....

I wonder though, if ASU or GSU start making noise about moving up after the moratorium is lifted, would the SoCon have their eye on CCU as a replacement. I don't doubt that CCU is interested in the SoCon, but have not seen anything to suggest the interest is reciprocal

DKHardee
January 18th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Ahh, I remember those threads....

I wonder though, if ASU or GSU start making noise about moving up after the moratorium is lifted, would the SoCon have their eye on CCU as a replacement. I don't doubt that CCU is interested in the SoCon, but have not seen anything to suggest the interest is reciprocal

Now that the Big South has an automatic bid I wouldn't even care to go over there. Although it would be better for recruiting.

Campbell is rejoining in 2011 so the Big South is getting bigger.

The Cats
January 18th, 2010, 11:38 PM
They can take our place when we leave! :>)

why aren't you gone yet? xchinscratchx

Reign of Terrier
February 11th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I'd like to play CCU on a yearly basis...I'm still bitter from that 41-38 loss in 2006

SideLine Shooter
February 11th, 2010, 07:26 PM

Somebody Smokin Something!!!xlolxxnodx

Seven Would Be Nice
February 12th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I wouldn't mind CCU being in the SoCon... hopefully we won't be around to see it! :)

Even if we are still around (which is most likely.. thanks to a dragging-our-feet-to-delay-any-progress AD we have) I wouldn't mind the beach trips for away games. :)

bodoyle
February 12th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I'd like to play CCU on a yearly basis...I'm still bitter from that 41-38 loss in 2006

Just had t post the link lol http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090906aaa.html

OL FU
February 12th, 2010, 08:56 AM
The year 2006 I believe you beat us in Conway, the paper's headline the next day was "Point Made". Not sure that was it exactly, but the point was CCU was bidding to get into the Socon and beating Furman showed they belonged.

Well four years later the football program isn't what it was (of course neither is Furman's). Personally, I would like to see you in the Socon for some of your other sports as well as football. xnodx

bodoyle
February 12th, 2010, 09:45 AM
The year 2006 I believe you beat us in Conway, the paper's headline the next day was "Point Made". Not sure that was it exactly, but the point was CCU was bidding to get into the Socon and beating Furman showed they belonged.

Well four years later the football program isn't what it was (of course neither is Furman's). Personally, I would like to see you in the Socon for some of your other sports as well as football. xnodx

I have that newspaper at home.

The Cats
February 13th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I think CCU would be a good addition to the SoCon, especially should GSU or ASU get their wish and go bye-bye.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 13th, 2010, 12:40 PM

Of course, they also lost to Elon (wasn't too good at that time) and to the worst coach in the history of the FCS. xlolx

Seriously though, it was disappointing that the conference didn't seem to be even considering CCU.

zilla
February 13th, 2010, 02:26 PM
IMO, there's only two ways Coastal gains entry into the SoCon:

(1.) Like The Cats stated, someone leaves (i.e. GA Southern or App St go FBS)

(2.) Iamarino convinces everyone to expand to 14 teams (BTW, 12 is a perfect number for any league so I wouldn't expect #2 to come to fruition)

Personally, I hope it happens some day.

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Would be interesting. There's obvious pros and cons on both sides. I'm not sure they bring a whole lot to the table right now football-wise.

I'd also like to see Ga. State considered at some point.

whoanellie
February 13th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Of course, they also lost to Elon (wasn't too good at that time) and to the worst coach in the history of the FCS. xlolx

Seriously though, it was disappointing that the conference didn't seem to be even considering CCU.
I am assuming your referring to Paul Hamilton.
Actually the 2006 23-20 victory over a ranked home CCU team was lead by converted TE/LB to QB Wes Pope and was Pete Lembo's initial Elon victory.
Conference alliances IMHO are built via relationships and always economics. Recent additions have proven to be assets and competive on several levels.
Basketball only in regular and Pioneer (non-scholly) Conferences just are posers and need to step up or move down in affiliations. xrulesx

phoenix3
February 13th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I am assuming your referring to Paul Hamilton.
Actually the 2006 23-20 victory over a ranked home CCU team was lead by converted TE/LB to QB Wes Pope and was Pete Lembo's initial Elon victory.
Conference alliances IMHO are built via relationships and always economics. Recent additions have proven to be assets and competive on several levels.
Basketball only in regular and Pioneer (non-scholly) Conferences just are posers and need to step up or move down in affiliations. xrulesx

Actually, I think he's refering to VanGorder.

I wouldn't mind having Coastal's baseball program in the SoCon. That would certainly increase the confrence's RPI.

zilla
February 13th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Paladin Fan > Right now, we wouldn't bring hardly anything to the SoCon in football. Since the 2006 playoff season, we've gone 16-18. Over that three-year span, we've only accomplished one 2nd place finish in the Big South. I know - pretty sad!

phoenix3 > Coastal would likely improve any conference's RPI in baseball (not bragging - just saying). Coach Gilmore has insinuated that this year's squad might be his best yet. We're ranked as high as 12th nationally in one preseason poll.

Might I add that CCU likely locked up the Big South men's basketball regular season championship tonight. We have a two-game lead in our league with three conference games left.

As aforementioned, I would love to see CCU in the SoCon one day. I just think one of the 12 schools would have to leave in order for the Chants to get an invite. Like I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't think the league would expand to 14 when you guys already have a perfect number of members.

The Cats
February 13th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure they bring a whole lot to the table right now football-wise.

They would bring some good baseball to an already good baseball conference, and could probably hold their own in basketball.

Tealblood
February 14th, 2010, 06:30 AM
If App and GSU move up

It will involve more teams--WCU, Citadel, and a few others and most likely CCU is moving also

PaladinFan
February 14th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Coastal would help the SoCon baseball RPI. In truth, it might put the SoCon in the second echelon beneath conferences like the SEC and Big 12. The conference, as it stands today, is #9 in RPI. Not bad at all.

BigApp
February 15th, 2010, 01:14 PM
It would be nice to put up some points on WV.

your only expectation is to score? xsmhxxconfusedxxsmhx

OL FU
February 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM

Not that year. was it? They went to the playoffs that yearxnodx

OL FU
February 15th, 2010, 02:45 PM
If App and GSU move up

It will involve more teams--WCU, Citadel, and a few others and most likely CCU is moving also

The Citadel is not moving up.

elcid83
February 16th, 2010, 07:45 AM
The Citadel is not moving up.

The Citadel and WCU can't keep up with the Southern Conference. Why would anyone think they would move up?

ElonPride
February 16th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Coastal would help the SoCon baseball RPI. In truth, it might put the SoCon in the second echelon beneath conferences like the SEC and Big 12. The conference, as it stands today, is #9 in RPI. Not bad at all.

I follow college baseball failry closely.....having CCU in the SoCon would sure make the conference stronger. If I remember correctly, 3 weeks into last season, the SoCon was ranked in the top 5!

Can you imagine a baseball conference with:

Elon (back to back regular season champs)
GSU (Super Regional contender, 2009 tourney champs, previous CWS participant)
WCU (best hitting team in the SoCon)
CCU (Super Regional contender)
CoC
UNCG (if they return to their glory days)
El Cid (always a tough team, previous CWS participant)
App St (seemingly on the rise)

We would be looking at a three bid conference annually!

ElonFirefighter
February 16th, 2010, 03:14 PM

Whats the Point???? They also lost to Elon and App that year. So since Gardnew webb beat WCU this year we need to bring them in too

OL FU
February 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Whats the Point???? They also lost to Elon and App that year. So since Gardnew webb beat WCU this year we need to bring them in too

Did you read what I said. They wanted in the SoCon. They beat Furman. The paper said the point was made that they belonged in the SoCon. I wasn't expressing an opinion. I was telling a story.

Don't be defensive over nothing

xcoolx

PS They also lost to GSU.

ElonFirefighter
February 16th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Did you read what I said. They wanted in the SoCon. They beat Furman. The paper said the point was made that they belonged in the SoCon. I wasn't expressing an opinion. I was telling a story.

Don't be defensive over nothing

xcoolx

PS They also lost to GSU.

LOL nono you missed my "POINT" :) I was making fun of the paper saying that a point was made. They only went .500 against SoCon teams that year and the paper title makes it sound like they crushed us all.

OL FU
February 16th, 2010, 04:31 PM
LOL nono you missed my "POINT" :) I was making fun of the paper saying that a point was made. They only went .500 against SoCon teams that year and the paper title makes it sound like they crushed us all.

My apologiesxbowx

I didn't pay much attention to the article. I was xeyebrowx um, distraughtxbawlingx

zilla
February 16th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I was at the 2006 CCU-Elon game. I expected us to win that one considering we beat the Phoenix the previous year. We had something like four turnovers & two TD receptions that were dropped. Lost by three points. xsmhx

The time we played Georgia Southern that year, the Eagles held a "Tribute to Erk Russell" night. I think he passed away a week prior to the Coastal game. CCU didn't stand a chance that night.

We did beat Wofford (41-38) & Furman (29-27) that year, but lost by 17 to Appalachian St in the playoffs.

Coastal went 2-3 against the SoCon in 2006.

What's funny is at the time, there were only five Big South schools - including Coastal - that fielded football teams. We played four BSC teams & five SoCon squads that season.

PaladinFan
February 16th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I was at the 2006 CCU-Elon game. I expected us to win that one considering we beat the Phoenix the previous year. We had something like four turnovers & two TD receptions that were dropped. Lost by three points. xsmhx

The time we played Georgia Southern that year, the Eagles held a "Tribute to Erk Russell" night. I think he passed away a week prior to the Coastal game. CCU didn't stand a chance that night.

We did beat Wofford (41-38) & Furman (29-27) that year, but lost by 17 to Appalachian St in the playoffs.

Coastal went 2-3 against the SoCon in 2006.

What's funny is at the time, there were only five Big South schools - including Coastal - that fielded football teams. We played four BSC teams & five SoCon squads that season.

CCU was yet another beneficiary of a Furman special teams collapse. Its shocking how many games in Lamb's tenure we've lost by one score on a botched special teams play (I can think of maybe 5 off the top of my head).

wb247
February 16th, 2010, 10:04 PM
CCU was yet another beneficiary of a Furman special teams collapse. Its shocking how many games in Lamb's tenure we've lost by one score on a botched special teams play (I can think of maybe 5 off the top of my head).

Don't forget "going for two"
xlolxxlolx

seantaylor
February 17th, 2010, 01:06 AM
GSU's incoming class is as talented of a class as I've ever seen. Our pitching should be a big strength this year. I think the conference is ours to lose, but Elon and WCU will be in the mix.

PaladinFan
February 17th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Don't forget "going for two"
xlolxxlolx

going for two, 2006 blocked xtra point returned for two against CCU, blocked extra point against The Citadel in 2002 or 03 for a 1 point loss, blocked field goal on a bad snap against Wofford in 2003 on the final play of the game, blocked punt returned for a touchdown against James Madison in the playoffs.

Among others....

OL FU
February 17th, 2010, 06:39 AM
going for two, 2006 blocked xtra point returned for two against CCU, blocked extra point against The Citadel in 2002 or 03 for a 1 point loss, blocked field goal on a bad snap against Wofford in 2003 on the final play of the game, blocked punt returned for a touchdown against James Madison in the playoffs.

Among others....

the only time it works in reverse is against Samfordxconfusedx

DKHardee
February 17th, 2010, 03:39 PM
your only expectation is to score? xsmhxxconfusedxxsmhx

in reality... yes. I'm hoping for a win but come on!

walliver
February 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
I remember when the first talk of CCU was greated with great enthusiasm. Wofford's administration at that time had plans for a long-term home-and-home series. Shortly after that something happened and many of the SoCon teams lost interesting. It was apparently related to something David Bennett had done during recruiting, although I could never find out the details.

If GSU and ASU move to FBS, CCU and Georgia State would be a good pair to add. On the other hand, if GSU and ASU both leave, it would be likely that several CAA teams would leave also, and this could lead to significant realignment in FCS. In fact, the only scenario for GSU and ASU leaving would be a case where 6-10 FCS schools move to FBStogether and form a new conference. Being an independent FBS school not named "Notre Dame" would be impractical if you wanted to play any home games.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 23rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
I remember when the first talk of CCU was greated with great enthusiasm. Wofford's administration at that time had plans for a long-term home-and-home series. Shortly after that something happened and many of the SoCon teams lost interesting. It was apparently related to something David Bennett had done during recruiting, although I could never find out the details.

If GSU and ASU move to FBS, CCU and Georgia State would be a good pair to add. On the other hand, if GSU and ASU both leave, it would be likely that several CAA teams would leave also, and this could lead to significant realignment in FCS. In fact, the only scenario for GSU and ASU leaving would be a case where 6-10 FCS schools move to FBStogether and form a new conference. Being an independent FBS school not named "Notre Dame" would be impractical if you wanted to play any home games.

I've got to think that if ASU and GaSoU were to leave the SoCon, that GaStU would be going to the same place. Probably along with JaxSt (103 miles from Atlanta according to Mapquest), JMU, ODU, Charlotte, etc. to form a Southeastern association of larger public institutions. I know many people say that East Carolina would never leave CUSA unless it was for the Big East, but if Marshall also came along wouldn't this new association make significantly more sense for them? Significantly less travel, a regional rival in ODU (140 driving miles apart according to Mapquest), two in-state rivals in ASU and Charlotte, like-minded institutions, etc.

walliver
February 23rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
I've got to think that if ASU and GaSoU were to leave the SoCon, that GaStU would be going to the same place. Probably along with JaxSt (103 miles from Atlanta according to Mapquest), JMU, ODU, Charlotte, etc. to form a Southeastern association of larger public institutions. I know many people say that East Carolina would never leave CUSA unless it was for the Big East, but if Marshall also came along wouldn't this new association make significantly more sense for them? Significantly less travel, a regional rival in ODU (140 driving miles apart according to Mapquest), two in-state rivals in ASU and Charlotte, like-minded institutions, etc.

This is the only way I can see a GSU or ASU move to FBS as being feasible. I guess Georgia State would be a consideration, but I am waiting to see how well their program develops, growing in the shadow of Georgia Tech and only a short ride from UGA.

Saint3333
February 24th, 2010, 08:05 AM

I believe many schools didn't like the academics that CCU brought to the table especially the APR ratings for some of their programs. I would disagree with the bolded section of this post. If a shake down/realignment of the BCS conference occur the trickle down effect could open some doors.