PDA

View Full Version : Matt Szczur is Coming Back

Hoyadestroya85
January 16th, 2010, 05:56 AM
He announced at the Villanova Football Banquet last night that he is returning to Villanova for his senior season. Is it fair to say that he's the odds-on favorite for the Payton award at this juncture?
Nation Beware.

Syntax Error
January 16th, 2010, 06:13 AM
uh, that is not good news for everyone else.

RookieWill
January 16th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Lots of time between the banquet and august, we will see when nova and temple play in September if true.

Frankly, szczur should have been in the running this year. He has a great shot going into next year because he has the NAME now. He doesn't have to pass other people, others have to pass him to get the award

it will be interesting to see if a national title plus szczur returning improves Villanova attendance this year

Hoyadestroya85
January 16th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I'd imagine he's staying with his word, he's likely going to undergo the bone marrow procedure during the baseball season and he's on record as saying that he prefers football to baseball.

On another note, why does all talk about Villanova or one of it's players have to include a sidebar about attendance? xconfusedx

wideright82
January 16th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I'd imagine he's staying with his word, he's likely going to undergo the bone marrow procedure during the baseball season and he's on record as saying that he prefers football to baseball.

On another note, why does all talk about Villanova or one of it's players have to include a sidebar about attendance? xconfusedx

I thought I read in an article that he has already done it and the girl was doing O.K but nothing specific yet? xconfusedxxconfusedx

Hoyadestroya85
January 16th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I thought I read in an article that he has already done it and the girl was doing O.K but nothing specific yet? xconfusedxxconfusedx

The article i read said that the girl was producing stem cells so they would hold off till later for the donation.

BarefootApp
January 16th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I am glad he is returning. I like the idea that FCS has great players on the field, even if they don't play for my team. I hope he stays healthy and has a great year.

Wildcat80
January 16th, 2010, 08:33 AM
We beat him once.....now we need to do it in philly. without snow.

Reign of Terrier
January 16th, 2010, 08:37 AM
expletive

(thank God we don't play him guaranteed)

Hoyadestroya85
January 16th, 2010, 08:41 AM
The State of Montana just let out a collective gulp.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 16th, 2010, 08:46 AM
He announced at the Villanova Football Banquet last night that he is returning to Villanova for his senior season. Is it fair to say that he's the odds-on favorite for the Payton award at this juncture?
Nation Beware.

While Szczur is probably the most valuable player at our level, I doubt he will put up big enough numbers to get serious consideration for the Payton.

Additionally, you have to do a serious amount of sucking up to Dave Coulson if you want consideration. If the award is important to you guys, I suggest you start sending love letters to Coulson now.

ngineer
January 16th, 2010, 08:52 AM
You always want to beat a team with their best. Here's hoping the Mountain Hawks will be ready to welcome him to Goodman on September 11.xnodx

wideright82
January 16th, 2010, 09:24 AM
The article i read said that the girl was producing stem cells so they would hold off till later for the donation.

ahhhh, alright.xthumbsupx

paward
January 16th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Good news for Villanova, bad news for the rest of us in the CAA.

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 16th, 2010, 09:32 AM
While Szczur is probably the most valuable player at our level, I doubt he will pbig enough numbersut up to get serious consideration for the Payton.

Additionally, you have to do a serious amount of sucking up to Dave Coulson if you want consideration. If the award is important to you guys, I suggest you start sending love letters to Coulson now.

I tend to agree. It sees many voters look only at the numbers. To truely appreciate what Szczur brings to the table you have to watch him play. It seems every time he makes a big play (kick coverage included) it when his team really needs it. No late game, mean nothing, stat padding with him.

Poker Alan
January 16th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Pretty much, especially since we lose Mariani as well... Zambrano is probably our next great stud receiver...

Having said that, our offense in the 2nd half was the real problem in the championship... missed opportunities, questionable play-calling, no scoring at all except for the TD with a minute left... I know it sounds presumptuous, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a rematch in the NC...

wideright82
January 16th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Pretty much, especially since we lose Mariani as well... Zambrano is probably our next great stud receiver...

Having said that, our offense in the 2nd half was the real problem in the championship... missed opportunities, questionable play-calling, no scoring at all except for the TD with a minute left... I know it sounds presumptuous, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a rematch in the NC...

xnodxxnodxxnodx

Hoyadestroya85
January 16th, 2010, 10:09 AM

I was impressed with Zambrano.. Didn't quite have the hands of Mariani though, but he's probably a better athlete.

jlcharles
January 16th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I tend to agree. It sees many voters look only at the numbers. To truely appreciate what Szczur brings to the table you have to watch him play. It seems every time he makes a big play (kick coverage included) it when his team really needs it. No late game, mean nothing, stat padding with him.

I think after seeing him play in the NC, the voters aren't going to rely on stats alone with him.

I was at the banquet last night and my jaw dropped when he made that announcement. Unless he pulls a Carmelo, and I would tend to believe he has a little more integrity than him, he has to be the odds on favorite for the Payton.

Hoyadestroya85
January 16th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I agree, they'll look beyond the stats with him. What other clear cut candidate is there at this point?

colorless raider
January 16th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I think after seeing him play in the NC, the voters aren't going to rely on stats alone with him.

I was at the banquet last night and my jaw dropped when he made that announcement. Unless he pulls a Carmelo, and I would tend to believe he has a little more integrity than him, he has to be the odds on favorite for the Payton.

Great player.great story line and I am sure a great kid. Congrats to 'Nova.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 16th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I agree, they'll look beyond the stats with him. What other clear cut candidate is there at this point?

Whoever wins the QB job at App State is the front runner at this point... If not him, then one of their skill position players ... xlolx

Eight Legger
January 16th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Szczur may love football more than baseball, but he's going to get paid to play baseball. Betcha that factors into things before it's all said and done. If he does come back, all the better for our conference!

UMass922
January 16th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Good news for Villanova, bad news for the rest of us in the CAA.

Except for us. :D

Really, though, I'm disappointed. We didn't get a crack at Szczur and Nova this year; would've been nice to get one next year. I don't think UMass will be very good next year anyway. Might as well lose to the best!

jlcharles
January 16th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Szczur may love football more than baseball, but he's going to get paid to play baseball. Betcha that factors into things before it's all said and done. If he does come back, all the better for our conference!

I would bet that he's had talks with some pro baseball scouts and based on those talks has decided he's better off coming back for football. I think he's too smart of a kid to run his mouth like that without having a solid basis behind it.

Hoyadestroya85
January 16th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I would bet that he's had talks with some pro baseball scouts and based on those talks has decided he's better off coming back for football. I think he's too smart of a kid to run his mouth like that without having a solid basis behind it.

Exactly.. He's a guy with little power who hits for average. Unfortunate for him, those guys are a dime a dozen in the bigs.

Grizo406
January 16th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Great news for the Wildcats!

Even though he ripped us a new one in Chattanooga, I'm looking forward to seeing him play again!

I'm glad he's back with Villanova!!xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
January 16th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Terrible news for the CAA, excellent news for 'Nova. One of the best I've seen at the FCS level.

jlcharles
January 16th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I think it was Venuto who said he was the biggest performer he's ever coached. When you needed a big play to turn around a game, he was the best. And that includes Westbrook.

100%GRIZ
January 16th, 2010, 08:40 PM
See you in Frisco Mr. Szczur! Too bad you don't play defense!

ncbears
January 16th, 2010, 09:36 PM

I don't think Montana and 'Nova will meet again next year so it doesn't matter. Northern Colorado in the championship!!!!

jlcharles
January 16th, 2010, 09:39 PM
See you in Frisco Mr. Szczur! Too bad you don't play defense!

Well, he did have 10 tackles this year. I think that if the coaches asked him to play both ways he would, and he'd excel.

Grizo406
January 16th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I don't think Montana and 'Nova will meet again next year so it doesn't matter. Northern Colorado in the championship!!!!

Good luck!

I'll be rootin' for ya'!!

ncbears
January 16th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Good luck!

I'll be rootin' for ya'!!

Thanks! You know I'm kidding. We're a lllooonnngggg way from the NC

ngineer
January 16th, 2010, 11:48 PM
This certainly locks up Villanova as the preseason #1. And that's how we want it on 9/11/10.xnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 16th, 2010, 11:55 PM
This certainly locks up Villanova as the preseason #1. And that's how we want it on 9/11/10.xnodx

They won't be #1 after Temple beats them the week before!! xnodx

jlcharles
January 17th, 2010, 12:16 AM

Temple beat one team with a winning record this year, Navy. They were without their best player.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 17th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Temple beat one team with a winning record this year, Navy. They were without their best player.

That means nothing. BP missed a lot of time too.

Temple returns i believe 20/22 starters. Villanova is the same way. Both teams will be improved but i believe, most would agree imo, Temple's ceiling is higher than Villanova's. If you were at this years game then you saw the game easily could have gone the other way. Temple will be the favorite all things considered. With that said, Villanova could easily win. I'll play the law of averages though.

jlcharles
January 17th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Temple is Temple, so they will again find a way to choke.

89Hen
January 17th, 2010, 12:34 PM
He announced at the Villanova Football Banquet last night that he is returning to Villanova for his senior season.

xthumbsdownx xthumbsdownx xthumbsdownx

LacesOut
January 17th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Nice!

Fun player to watch!

BDKJMU
January 17th, 2010, 10:04 PM

A I-A loss to a bowl team from the year before isn't going to drop them.

BDKJMU
January 17th, 2010, 10:14 PM
And the thing is, Sczur might not even the best player on Nova coming back for his respective position, at least if you go by pro potential.

VUCats02
January 17th, 2010, 10:17 PM
If you go by pro potential Ijilana is probably the best player on Nova coming back. He is a beast!

richu
January 18th, 2010, 08:29 AM
He will get a much bigger paycheck playing football vs. baseball IMHO.

GannonFan
January 18th, 2010, 09:30 AM
A I-A loss to a bowl team from the year before isn't going to drop them.

It would still be a loss to Temple and it probably will drop them. The other poster was right, Temple lived a charmed life last year - a historically awful MAC conference (which they still couldn't win the title in) and their one big win over Navy, by a point or two, when Navy's best player on the field (their QB) didn't even play. Temple is still not in the top, say 70, of FBS football. The #1 team in FCS should, more often than not, beat a team like that.

BDKJMU
January 18th, 2010, 01:48 PM
It would still be a loss to Temple and it probably will drop them. The other poster was right, Temple lived a charmed life last year - a historically awful MAC conference (which they still couldn't win the title in) and their one big win over Navy, by a point or two, when Navy's best player on the field (their QB) didn't even play. Temple is still not in the top, say 70, of FBS football. The #1 team in FCS should, more often than not, beat a team like that.

Yeah, Temple was #72, #68 in I-A teams in the Sagarin.

I was at the Temple-Nova game last year. Across the board Temple looked like the bigger, faster team. They outgained Nova by about 100 yards. What did them in in the 27-24 loss was the 5-1 in the turnover department. Temple loses only a few senior starters, and will be a better team than their 9-4 team from this yr. They'll probably be favored to win the MAC (I know, that's not saying much). They will be the best team Nova will face.

I guess whether or not losing to Temple would drop them would depend on:
-How bad they lost
-Whether or not whoever is ranked the #2,#3, #4, etc teams lost their I-A game (well, Montana won't have one), who they lost to, and how bad.

Hoyadestroya85
January 18th, 2010, 03:44 PM
As long as Temple doesn't have a quarterback, that should give Villanova a chance. This year we must find a way to get a pass rush on Temple though.

JMU Newbill
January 18th, 2010, 07:05 PM
He will get a much bigger paycheck playing football vs. baseball IMHO.

Explain your rationale behind this please....

JohnStOnge
January 18th, 2010, 07:39 PM
And the thing is, Sczur might not even the best player on Nova coming back for his respective position, at least if you go by pro potential.

I've been keeping quiet because of my new "policy" of not raining on parades unecessarily, but I'll go so far as to agree. Of course I don't know how many players Villanova is returning. But I'd say that as long as they stay reasonably intact in the offensive line and on defense they should be fine.

Hoyadestroya85
January 18th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I've been keeping quiet because of my new "policy" of not raining on parades unecessarily, but I'll go so far as to agree. Of course I don't know how many players Villanova is returning. But I'd say that as long as they stay reasonably intact in the offensive line and on defense they should be fine.

We return four players who started last year including the best returning FCS O-Lineman (Ben Ijalana.) So I think that would be a yes.

BDKJMU
January 18th, 2010, 10:21 PM
We return four players who started last year including the best returning FCS O-Lineman (Ben Ijalana.) So I think that would be a yes.

At the Nova-Temple game and Nova-JMU games, both of which I was at, and from what I remember seeing on TV with the 2 W&M games and the Montana game, Nova had 2 senior starters on the o-line- Brannigan at center and Bugli at RT. That should mean 3 returning starters (probably how the preseason reviews will list it).

Hoyadestroya85
January 18th, 2010, 10:27 PM
At the Nova-Temple game and Nova-JMU games, both of which I was at, and from what I remember seeing on TV with the 2 W&M games and the Montana game, Nova had 2 senior starters on the o-line- Brannigan at center and Bugli at RT. That should mean 3 returning starters (probably how the preseason reviews will list it).

nope, the first game Chidozie Ekweozor started at RT, Bugli at RG. Ekweozor got hurt twice during the season (before the Penn game and during the Holy Cross game.) That gives us four returners with starting experience (Ijalana, Clouser, Shirey and Ekweozor,) Jordy Paulemon from Hofstra and Josh Bucci who redshirted this year and the coaches are very high on.

BDKJMU
January 18th, 2010, 11:08 PM
nope, the first game Chidozie Ekweozor started at RT, Bugli at RG. Ekweozor got hurt twice during the season (before the Penn game and during the Holy Cross game.) That gives us four returners with starting experience (Ijalana, Clouser, Shirey and Ekweozor,) Jordy Paulemon from Hofstra and Josh Bucci who redshirted this year and the coaches are very high on.

Ok, I was going on the assumption that returning starters lost + returning starters had to equal 5 (like is done with the pre season previews). So you have 4 returning with starting experience. The pre season previews will probably list returning starters on the Nova o-line as 3.