PDA

View Full Version : MEAC, SWAC Rank Among Top 3 In FCS Conference Revenues

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 14th, 2010, 07:02 PM
By Kenn Rashad on Jan 14, 2010 at 5:26 pm (CT)

MEAC, SWAC Rank Among Top 3 In FCS Conference Revenues
We’ve already taken a side by side look at HBCU conference revenues as we examine the facts and figures of HBCU athletics. But let’s try taking a look at a bigger picture. The bigger picture being how the SWAC and MEAC compare to other FCS conferences and not the BCS conferences as many often make the mistake in doing.

Here are the 2008 revenue rankings for the FCS member conferences.

http://www.tspnsports.com/2010/01/14/meac-swac-rank-among-top-3-in-fcs-conference-revenues.htm

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 14th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Revenue per # of member institutions - (Avg)
SWAC – $485,915.50 = $4,859,155.00 / 10
MEAC – $423,549.21 = $5,929,689.00 / 14

appsfan
January 14th, 2010, 08:43 PM
1. SWAC – $485,915.50 = $4,859,155.00 / 10
2. MEAC – $423,549.21 = $5,929,689.00 / 14

Southern Conference - $509,924 ave = $4,589,318 / 9

It apears the SoCon had a higher average per institution than either the SWAC or MEAC.

kdinva
January 14th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Which conferences typically hold up the big trophy in late December?xrulesx

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 14th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Southern Conference - $509,924 ave = $4,589,318 / 9

It apears the SoCon had a higher average per institution than either the SWAC or MEAC.

You are correct. My bad.

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2010, 11:12 PM
My question(s) for the individual(s) who came up with the report...

1) Do these revenues go back into the athletic budget? At each school?
2) How much of these revenues come from the Classic games? How much from the television deal? The SWAC championship game?

I would be led to believe that the SWAC leads the nation in game guarantee totals for basketball since a large majority of their teams do start the season with 0-3 wins in out of conference play. This would put their revenue very high on the charts of basketball programs - presumably.

Looking forward to more numbers produced in this seemingly series of monetary numbers...

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2010, 11:14 PM
SWAC – $485,915.50 = $4,859,155.00 / 10
MEAC – $423,549.21 = $5,929,689.00 / 14

Based on eight SLC football schools as of this year - the avg per SLC school is 455,313.86. That's above the MEAC and not far behind the SWAC.

Someone should take time to break down the numbers. Would SoCon be #1?

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 14th, 2010, 11:17 PM
My question(s) for the individual(s) who came up with the report...

1) Do these revenues go back into the athletic budget? At each school?
2) How much of these revenues come from the Classic games? How much from the television deal? The SWAC championship game?

I would be led to believe that the SWAC leads the nation in game guarantee totals for basketball since a large majority of their teams do start the season with 0-3 wins in out of conference play. This would put their revenue very high on the charts of basketball programs - presumably.

Looking forward to more numbers produced in this seemingly series of monetary numbers...
From what I understand from the SWAC's stand point the revenue comes from Meac/SWAC game and the Television Deal. All of the revenue form the Classics's go to each individual school.

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2010, 11:24 PM
From what I understand from the SWAC's stand point the revenue comes from Meac/SWAC game and the Television Deal. All of the revenue form the Classics's go to each individual school.

I am confused...

Are these numbers related to the intake by the conference office? OR are these numbers pertaining to the amount of revenue that each school brings to the table? OR both? It is not clear.

SAME OLD G
January 14th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I am confused...

Are these numbers related to the intake by the conference office?

Yes

89Hen
January 15th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Another strange stat. SWAC and MEAC rank high in revenue, attendance and NFL players but are perennially ranked at the bottom of I-AA on the field. xconfusedx

TexasTerror
January 15th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Yes

So the school's intake is not included? xconfusedx

Another strange stat. SWAC and MEAC rank high in revenue, attendance and NFL players but are perennially ranked at the bottom of I-AA on the field. xconfusedx

What parameters of statistics do use for that?

DSUrocks07
January 15th, 2010, 07:32 AM

Short answer, coaching...execution...skill of players in the non-skill positions (interior line, linebackers)

UAalum72
January 15th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Hmm, so the Northeast Conference has more than double the revenue of the Gateway, Great West, and OVC combined?

89Hen
January 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM
What parameters of statistics do use for that?
Attendance
6. NCA&T
7. South Carolina State
10. Jackson State
15. Southern
21. FAMU
24. UAPB
27. Norfolk State

Maybe the NFL stats are old, but I think the MEAC has quite a few (20+) on rosters. That has to be near the top of I-AA conferences.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 15th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Attendance
6. NCA&T
7. South Carolina State
10. Jackson State
15. Southern
21. FAMU
24. UAPB
27. Norfolk State

Maybe the NFL stats are old, but I think the MEAC has quite a few (20+) on rosters. That has to be near the top of I-AA conferences.Wrong.
Attendance has nothing to do with it. Each individual school keeps its revenue from its football attendance, not the conference.

TexasTerror
January 15th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Attendance

I was referring to the "bottom of the field" or however you worded it relating to their play.

The SWAC actually got beat out by the SoCon and SLC this year in attendance. Not sure what the excuse is, but even the SLC was able to overcome SHSU's attendance being half of what it typically is to outpace the SWAC.

They'll claim the 'Classics' and say the statistics are flawed, but those games are more "events" than football games and are not played on home campuses.

Panther88
January 15th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Wrong.
Attendance has nothing to do with it. Each individual school keeps its revenue from its football attendance, not the conference.

They know it, specifically 89hen does. He's being "silly-smart," as usual. I think he's still seething since the United States declared tenn a disaster zone and ripped up IH40, the only vein of modern advancement found throughout his precious state. (moving the FCS championship to a more civilized Frisco has him up in arms lol. get over it!)

89Hen
January 15th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I think some people didn't read my quote correctly.

The SWAC and MEAC are tops when it comes to attendance, revenue, putting players in the NFL... but are at the bottom when it comes to ON FIELD performance. I was wondering out loud how that trend continues. xpeacex

89Hen
January 15th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Wrong.
xconfusedx That is where those teams rank in I-AA in attendance. Very high. Throw in the Classics and it's easy to see the SWAC and MEAC as a whole are the kings of attendance in I-AA. What was wrong?

3rd Coast Tiger
January 15th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I was referring to the "bottom of the field" or however you worded it relating to their play.

The SWAC actually got beat out by the SoCon and SLC this year in attendance. Not sure what the excuse is, but even the SLC was able to overcome SHSU's attendance being half of what it typically is to outpace the SWAC.

They'll claim the 'Classics' and say the statistics are flawed, but those games are more "events" than football games and are not played on home campuses.

Here we go...

Since the inception of the NCAA I-AA/FCS classification (31 years), the Southwestern Athletic Conference has lead attendance for 29 of those 31 years which equates to leading 93.55% of the entire life of the classification.

When the SLC or any other conference for that matter begins a trend (say three or more consecutive years) then you can beat your chest on the attendance king but just leading over one year out of 31 years? Come on dude.

Let me put it like you love to:

You know how whenever a SWAC institution defeats a SLC program in "name the sport" you are quick to bring up statistically, the SLC is "32-4" or "17-1" etc... in wins against the SWAC. In essence, you're saying "every dog will have his day" right?

Classics are not included in our attendance figures because they are at a neutral location. That's fine; I have no problem with that.

But call me when the SLC beats out the SWAC in NCAA-FCS attendance in 2010, 2011 then I'll give you your praise.

WestCoastAggie
January 15th, 2010, 01:55 PM
So why can't we (HBCU's) win championships??? We should be dominating the FCS!!!

3rd Coast Tiger
January 15th, 2010, 02:39 PM
So why can't we (HBCU's) win championships??? We should be dominating the FCS!!!

It all begins with coaching and line protection.

Syntax Error
January 15th, 2010, 03:00 PM
"The IRS Form 990 is titled "Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax." It is submitted by tax-exempt organizations and non-profit organizations to provide the Internal Revenue Service with annual financial information."

http://www.npccny.org/Form_990/990.htm has a good breakdown of what the form shows. Like this:

http://www.npccny.org/Form_990/images/Example1.gif

"Today an organization’s Forms 990 for the past three years must be shown to anyone who wants to see them. In addition, copies of these forms must be given to anyone who requests them (either in person or in writing) and who pays a reasonable fee -- $1 for the first page and 15 cents for every page thereafter and postage, if applicable. Furthermore, most Forms 990 beginning with the year 1997 are being posted on the Internet by the National Center for Charitable Statistics and Guidestar, two nonprofit groups in the Washington D.C., area."

Syntax Error
January 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Stuff is fascinating reading, free registration at http://www.guidestar.org to see all the facts and the actual 990 forms over the years. Socon commish made over $200K in salary and benefits in 2008!

JROCK
January 15th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Perhaps the conferences that are trailing the SWAC and MEAC in producing revenue should become better at their trade. They should pull themselves up by the boot strap and stop looking for holes in the facts and figures..........

TexasTerror
January 15th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Perhaps the conferences that are trailing the SWAC and MEAC in producing revenue should become better at their trade. They should pull themselves up by the boot strap and stop looking for holes in the facts and figures..........

The SWAC is good at making money...but unfortunately, they are not good at many of the basic essentials of being a Division I conference. We've beaten that dead horse beyond death and we're trying not to turn this into a smack thread, like some of your other previous attempts to do so in FCS Discussion. xshhhx

813Jag
January 16th, 2010, 08:33 AM
The SWAC is good at making money...but unfortunately, they are not good at many of the basic essentials of being a Division I conference. We've beaten that dead horse beyond death and we're trying not to turn this into a smack thread, like some of your other previous attempts to do so in FCS Discussion. xshhhx
are you throwing rocks and hiding your hands? the majority of your posts are laced with smack. but i guess since you're "in good" here you can do that. xcoffeex

Panther88
January 16th, 2010, 09:09 AM
It all begins with coaching and line protection.

Bingo!

And it'll begin SOONER if A-N-Y of your "gay" lol squads lineup across from ours. Stop the internet rhetoric and pretend you're a man for once and push your admins/athl staff, like some of us posting here can do ;), for a game vs one of our squads since you possess so much doubt. Poke holes in whatever you like as that's your right. But the fact remains that 2 of the top 3 rev producers between represented FCS conferences are the SWAC and MEAC. Period.

I'm done w/ the silly internet talking. I want our squad to lineup across from your squad and knock them in the mouth, literally and figuratively. :D

Now, go to your corner and play the same rhetorical song you've been playing since some of us have started posting on this insipid biased site----> xviolinx

mikebigg
January 16th, 2010, 11:44 AM
are you throwing rocks and hiding your hands? the majority of your posts are laced with smack. but i guess since you're "in good" here you can do that. xcoffeex

xsmileyclapx

McNeese75
January 16th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Here we go...

Since the inception of the NCAA I-AA/FCS classification (31 years), the Southwestern Athletic Conference has lead attendance for 29 of those 31 years which equates to leading 93.55% of the entire life of the classification.

When the SLC or any other conference for that matter begins a trend (say three or more consecutive years) then you can beat your chest on the attendance king but just leading over one year out of 31 years? Come on dude.

Let me put it like you love to:

You know how whenever a SWAC institution defeats a SLC program in "name the sport" you are quick to bring up statistically, the SLC is "32-4" or "17-1" etc... in wins against the SWAC. In essence, you're saying "every dog will have his day" right?

Classics are not included in our attendance figures because they are at a neutral location. That's fine; I have no problem with that.

But call me when the SLC beats out the SWAC in NCAA-FCS attendance in 2010, 2011 then I'll give you your praise.

ok, we surrender xcoffeex

Swac wins in attendance and band prancing xsmileyclapx

Football teams are another thing though aren't they????? OH wait, I forgot about the powerhouse teams of the 70's my bad xcoffeex

mikebigg
January 16th, 2010, 12:07 PM
The numbers don't lie... neither does the reaction of the posters who take exception to the fact that the SWAC and MEAC's revenue numbers are consistently at the top of 1AA.

Why are positives posted about the SWAC and MEAC met with such hostillities?

Why are these hositilities allowed to go unchecked?

Panther88
January 16th, 2010, 12:48 PM
ok, we surrender xcoffeex

Swac wins in attendance and band prancing xsmileyclapx

Football teams are another thing though aren't they????? OH wait, I forgot about the powerhouse teams of the 70's my bad xcoffeex

All talk. That's all you all had better do. Talk. :D

Oh wait, I too forgot, gay slc participants ran w/ their tails tucked between their legs (literally lol) back in the day because they would've been dismantled w/out any shadow of doubt by past squads. When the playing field leveled w/in the last 30 or so w/ respect to "integrating the gridiron," they started making themselves visible. Smart. Not. Spineless. Yes. xsmileyclapx

msusig
January 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM

By even starting a thread with "MEAC, SWAC Rank Among Top 3 In FCS Conference Revenues", you are just asking for negative feedbacks. So don't act all suprised.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 16th, 2010, 03:52 PM
By even starting a thread with "MEAC, SWAC Rank Among Top 3 In FCS Conference Revenues", you are just asking for negative feedbacks. So don't act all suprised.

How's that? Was it an opinionated thread title laced with smack?

CrazyCat
January 16th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Does this site http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/index.aspx give the same information ? I'm just wondering because the numbers are way different than what is provided in the first post.

TSUalum05
January 16th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Even though on field play has declined over the past few years in relation to the rest of the FCS; It's amazing how HBCU's have been able to lead FCS in attendance over the past 29 of 31 years especially with our small enrollment numbers compared to those listed below:

Posted by Jafus on TSPN:

(Quote)
Consider:

Conference - Total Enrollment - Average Enrollment
CAA: – 240,289 – 20,0124
CAA Football: – 193,387 – 16,116
Southland Conference: - 188,613 - 15,718
Southland Conference Football: - 112,967 - 14,121
Southern Conference: – 100,884 – 8,407
OVC: – 75,787 – 6,890
MEAC: – 72,248 – 6,020
MEAC Football:– 64,342 – 6,434
SWAC: - 62,716 – 6,272

These numbers should provide some additional discussion regarding the need for dependency of the SWAC and MEAC on Conference Revenue as opposed to other non-HBCU conferences with larger enrollments on average that have earn greater success in athletics in terms of winning athletic contest over the last decade or so. (Unquote)

McNeese75
January 16th, 2010, 11:11 PM
All talk. That's all you all had better do. Talk. :D

Oh wait, I too forgot, gay slc participants ran w/ their tails tucked between their legs (literally lol) back in the day because they would've been dismantled w/out any shadow of doubt by past squads. When the playing field leveled w/in the last 30 or so w/ respect to "integrating the gridiron," they started making themselves visible. Smart. Not. Spineless. Yes. xsmileyclapx

Take it to the smack thread if that is all you got xthumbsdownx

There is a reason all we can do is talk and it has to do with the scheduling policies of your conference and how you like to stick you head in the sand and then run your mouth about how good you are. xcoffeex

Mod33
January 17th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Any further smack posts or personal attacks or threats in this thread will lead to automatic strikes.

Jaguar79
January 18th, 2010, 04:12 PM

How in the world do you get SMACK from that title? Why wouldn't ANY conference, including the Southland, not want to boast something like that, especially if it isn't a lie.

If you can find smack in that, I guess one could find smack in "Southern backs out on McNeese AGAIN" when they had not officially backed out, huh?

mikebigg
January 18th, 2010, 04:19 PM
How in the world do you get SMACK from that title? Why wouldn't ANY conference, including the Southland, not want to boast something like that, especially if it isn't a lie.

If you can find smack in that, I guess one could find smack in "Southern backs out on McNeese AGAIN" when they had not officially backed out, huh?

That's what annoys me... any positive we post about our Conference is met with such scorn and ridicule. I could understand if someone just made a blanket assertion, unsupported, but this was from a link backed up with numbers/data.

Sad really...but shows the level of insecurity when someone takes praise of our program as a slam against theirs. :(

Jaguar79
January 18th, 2010, 04:21 PM
That's what annoys me... any positive we post about our Conference is met with such scorn and ridicule. I could understand if someone just made a blanket assertion, unsupported, but this was from a link backed up with numbers/data.

Sad really...but shows the level of insecurity when someone takes praise of our program as a slam against theirs. :(

MB, if we ever got the type of leadership with the other intangibles we have, I wouldn't give a HOOT what some of these people thought.
WE wouldn't have to. xnodx