PDA

View Full Version : NJ POY Dillon Romain a Grizzly? Looks good.

Ronbo
January 11th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Dillon Romain, the New Jersey Player of the Year is being reported on the New Jersey HS Forums and by a couple Griz insiders he's decided to play for Montana.

Dillon was the starting tailback for #1 National HS team Don Bosco Prep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnqVFm6ldfI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAxY1ttcz30&feature=related

GOKATS
January 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Some reports have him going to Albany, some to um. Nothing official yet one way or the other.

danefan
January 11th, 2010, 11:54 AM
He had previously verballed to Albany. I haven't seen any official confirmation that he has committed to either school as of yet.

In fact there are two different people on the NJ HS forum that posted today - One said he's going to Albany. The other said he's going to Montana.

If Montana offered I doubt he'd go to Albany over Montana. But we'll have to wait and see for the official word.

Ronbo
January 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM
He might even get a late offer from Rutgers as they are interested as well as Tulane.

Franks Tanks
January 11th, 2010, 12:02 PM
This kid has become a bit famous for his lack of offers despite being NJ player of the year (last year).

It will be interesting to see where he lands.

Ronbo
January 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM
We're on this player from Oregon also. He could also commit to Montana.

Anthony Lacoste

Fall 2007 Sophomore Year
1st Team All State Running Back, 1st Team Mid-Willamette Conference - Running Back, Runner-Up Offensive Player of the Year - Oregon, Team Oregon State Champions 5A division

Stats: Carries - 185; Yards - 1914; Avg. - 10.35; Yards/Game - 136.7; Long 75; TD's 24

Fall 2008 - Football - Junior Year
1st team All State Running Back, 5A State Championship Game MVP, 1st Team Mid-Willamette Conference-Running Back, Runner Up Offensive Player of the Year- Oregon 5A Division, 2-Time Oregon State Champions 5A Division (Team)

Stats: Carries - 276; Yards - 2631; Avg. - 9.53; Yards/Game - 187.9; Long - 65; TD's - 34

Fall 2009-Football-Senior year
1st team mid-valley RB of year; 1st team mid-valley Offensive player of the year

Stats: Carries-203; Total yards-1723; Avg/carry-8.49; Yd's/game-172.3; Td's-26; long-55

colorless raider
January 11th, 2010, 12:07 PM
As long as he doesn't become a Pard.:D

Franks Tanks
January 11th, 2010, 12:17 PM
As long as he doesn't become a Pard.:D

I dont think you have to worry about that

Hoyadestroya85
January 11th, 2010, 01:15 PM
This could be a very good get for the Griz. Not only is New Jersey a very underrated football state (seven first round picks in the 09 draft) and Don Bosco is year in and year out one of the best hs programs in the country. He'll be a player if the Griz land him.

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 01:21 PM
The NJ POY only has offers from Montana and Albany? xeyebrowx

GannonFan
January 11th, 2010, 01:36 PM
This could be a very good get for the Griz. Not only is New Jersey a very underrated football state (seven first round picks in the 09 draft) and Don Bosco is year in and year out one of the best hs programs in the country. He'll be a player if the Griz land him.

The NJ POY only has offers from Montana and Albany? xeyebrowx

I agree on the skepticism. Without knowing one iota of this kid, he played in one of the most crowded areas of the country on one of the more visible teams in the country. If the likes of the Big Ten, Big East, and ACC all passed on him, not to mention the more prominent FCS schools in the area, that tells you a little something about him. You don't slip through the cracks with that kind of pedigree in that part of the country.

Silenoz
January 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM
From what I can tell, schools had issue with him not playing on the defensive side of the ball, and for (other people's conjecture here)...being a white running back.

Silenoz
January 11th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Also, one post mentioned a lack of break-away speed. So his 40 is probably not 4.5ish

ncbears
January 11th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Will him becoming a griz bring the mob to Montana?

GannonFan
January 11th, 2010, 03:29 PM

Sure, of course it will - New Jersey is exactly as depicted in HBO's "The Sopranos" and everyone has ties to the Mob somehow. xrolleyesx

GolfingGriz
January 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM
How did he even get on our radar? I know under Hauck we only recruited Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Colorado and Arizona.

UR Spider
January 11th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Wait a second - I thought all of New Jersey was exactly like MTV's "Jersey Shore" - after all it is a reality show.

Hoyadestroya85
January 11th, 2010, 04:38 PM
From what I can tell, schools had issue with him not playing on the defensive side of the ball, and for (other people's conjecture here)...being a white running back.

I suspected he had an acute case of white running back syndrome.

CFBfan
January 11th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Dillon Romain, the New Jersey Player of the Year is being reported on the New Jersey HS Forums and by a couple Griz insiders he's decided to play for Montana.

Dillon was the starting tailback for #1 National HS team Don Bosco Prep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnqVFm6ldfI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAxY1ttcz30&feature=related

i wouldn't go over board on this one, he's a nice HS back than had the luxury of running behind one of the best OL's in the country. many other HS backs would have done at least as well and many much better had they had the opportunity to run behind that kind of a line.......there's a reason why no/very few offers came his way. (IMO of course; i did se him play 5 times though)

Ronbo
January 11th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Did you even watch the clips. He made some nice moves to go for TD's long after the O-Line was left behind. This kids a gamer no doubt about it. He's similar to Chase Reynolds at 210 lbs.

GOKATS
January 11th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Did you even watch the clips. He made some nice moves to go for TD's long after the O-Line was left behind. This kids a gamer no doubt about it. He's similar to Chase Reynolds at 210 lbs.

xhomerx

xnodxxnodxxnodx

RationalGriz
January 11th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Ronbo makes me puke and I am a Griz fan.

blur2005
January 11th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Early post of the year nominee?

I kid.

JMUNJ08
January 11th, 2010, 06:56 PM

Sure, of course it will - New Jersey is exactly as depicted in HBO's "The Sopranos" and everyone has ties to the Mob somehow. xrolleyesx

Wait a second - I thought all of New Jersey was exactly like MTV's "Jersey Shore" - after all it is a reality show.

So proud to be from NJ!xnodxxnodxxnodx

Fact: Not 1 kid on the Jersey Shore is even from NJ xeyebrowx

BobbyMo
January 11th, 2010, 07:09 PM

lol, he will give you negative rep points. they are a big deal to him.

Ronbo
January 11th, 2010, 07:51 PM

Yes I have alot of you mad because I said the team needs more diversity and less white Montana kids. I am being attacked by several racists now. This guy might be one too.

GOKATS
January 11th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Yes I have alot of you mad because I said the team needs more diversity and less white Montana kids. I am being attacked by several racists now. This guy might be one too.

So you're catching all this grief because you're touting a white out of state kid who hasn't signed with the griz yet? xrolleyesxxlolx

RationalGriz
January 11th, 2010, 08:46 PM

My comment had nothing to do with a single comment, but more to do with you as a whole, all the things you comment on and post. I hope the Griz recruit the best scholar-athletes possible, but I also realize that Missoula Montana is not the most diverse place and it can be a difficult place to recruit some kids. By the way, you want less White Montana kids and more White New Jersey kids?

WyomingGrizFan
January 11th, 2010, 08:52 PM
he's a nice HS back than had the luxury of running behind one of the best OL's in the country. many other HS backs would have done at least as well and many much better had they had the opportunity to run behind that kind of a line...

Maybe we can recruit his offensive line as well?

WildCat In The Hat
January 11th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Kid looks like a player to me. Real good acceleration out of his cuts. Wouldn't mind seeing UNH throw their hat in the ring.

CFBfan
January 12th, 2010, 05:52 AM

as I said in my post, I saw at least 5 of his games....he was a very nice HS back BUT there is a reason he had very few offers and NO 1A offers!! EVERY player coming out of HS that wants to play in college at any level has a highlight reel and they ALL look good on it!! that's why coaches go to games and ask for GAME films not just highlight reels!! I am not dissing this kid i'm just being reaistic here!! and yes to the poster that stated "maybe we should get his OL" do that and you've got something!!

Bogus Megapardus
January 12th, 2010, 06:06 AM

I lived in the heart of North Jersey (Essex/Hudson County) during the Soprano years. The look and feel of what was depicted in the series was remarkably accurate.

laxVik
January 12th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Well D1A recruited Roper sure did well at UM. Had the starting job once I heard....

uofmman1122
January 12th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Well D1A recruited Roper sure did well at UM. Had the starting job once I heard....I think that's a bit unfair. Roper's a good quarterback, but when you transfer as late as he did, and have to challenge a guy who's been in the system for three years, it's going to be tough, and he did pretty well, considering Selle is a pretty good quarterback.

srgrizizen
January 12th, 2010, 03:07 PM
So if a player is worth the hype, he has to have offers from FBS schools? Then, if the post is to have any relevance, he has to turn down the FBS and go with the FCS school. How many would do that? Bottom line -- only drop downs are worth hyping??? xcoffeex

mlbowl
January 12th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Well...If he'd of committed to SLU...this would be a different thread...He'd be an "awesome get".xcoolx

bleedblue
January 12th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Kid looks like a player to me. Real good acceleration out of his cuts. Wouldn't mind seeing UNH throw their hat in the ring.

Yeah I agree. Not sure why this kid is slipping through.

GannonFan
January 13th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Yeah I agree. Not sure why this kid is slipping through.

And he's "slipped" through for 2 years now since he went Prep school last year. Again, there's no way a guy who was POY for a state as dense in population as New Jersey would be a "slipping" through with the vast number of DI schools between New Jersey and Montana unless he's carrying some baggage and/or isn't quite DI material. Being a stud HS player and having the stats to go along with it doesn't guarantee anything at the next level - kinda like when a kid is a great college player but is a dud at the NFL level. Happens all the time.

CFBfan
January 13th, 2010, 09:41 AM
And he's "slipped" through for 2 years now since he went Prep school last year. Again, there's no way a guy who was POY for a state as dense in population as New Jersey would be a "slipping" through with the vast number of DI schools between New Jersey and Montana unless he's carrying some baggage and/or isn't quite DI material. Being a stud HS player and having the stats to go along with it doesn't guarantee anything at the next level - kinda like when a kid is a great college player but is a dud at the NFL level. Happens all the time.

exactly! and Tony Jones, the RB out of the same HS (Don Bosco) this year is comitted to Colorado on a full ride, he was a stud his soph year and broke his collar bone last year (his junior season). If he hadn't been injured for that season it's likely that Romain would have seen very little action

mlbowl
January 13th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Well...I noticed in another thread that Meyers (highly touted High School QB committed to SLU) is a "great get"...oh...that's right...he had ONE FBS offer from UofL at Monroexrolleyesx...If he wanted to verbal to Delaware...you all'd be creamin' your jeans!

GannonFan
January 13th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Well...I noticed in another thread that Meyers (highly touted High School QB committed to SLU) is a "great get"...oh...that's right...he had ONE FBS offer from UofL at Monroexrolleyesx...If he wanted to verbal to Delaware...you all'd be creamin' your jeans!

Nonsense - if the NJ POY from two years ago went to Prep School last year and then, with no reported offers from anyone other than Albany, decided to come to Delaware, I would question how good the kid is and why no one else was offering.

As for the other thread on the kid from Louisiana, same thing applies - if the only offer he got was UL-Monroe, it just questions how good the kid really is.

With all the FBS schools out there and the 85 schollies they get, if a kid can be one of the 50 state POY's and not get a significant FBS offer, including from the big state school from the state he's in, then yes, it is right to ratchet down the excitement over getting him.

CFBfan
January 13th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Nonsense - if the NJ POY from two years ago went to Prep School last year and then, with no reported offers from anyone other than Albany, decided to come to Delaware, I would question how good the kid is and why no one else was offering.

As for the other thread on the kid from Louisiana, same thing applies - if the only offer he got was UL-Monroe, it just questions how good the kid really is.

With all the FBS schools out there and the 85 schollies they get, if a kid can be one of the 50 state POY's and not get a significant FBS offer, including from the big state school from the state he's in, then yes, it is right to ratchet down the excitement over getting him.

I agree and look where he is from...North Jersey and Don Bosco, a highly recruited area and achool That school has 6 kids with D1 offers in their back pockets this year, trust me this is not a slipping thru the cracks case

srgrizizen
January 13th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I have to agree with Gannonfan's logic, especially since you have to assume that the FBS snaps up not only all the blue chippers, but also several dozen bench warmers who are presumably also a cut above the average FCS player. However, there are plenty of cases where an unheralded and/or undersized player hits his stride late and goes on to star not only in the FCS, but sometimes even at the next level. For example, Romo, Warner, Jerry Rice, etc. And Chase Reynolds played 8 man and walked on, I believe. So maybe this NJ kid could turn out to be the real deal, even if the FBS isn't that interested. Too soon for exaltations for sure, however. xchinscratchx

GannonFan
January 13th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I have to agree with Gannonfan's logic, especially since you have to assume that the FBS snaps up not only all the blue chippers, but also several dozen bench warmers who are presumably also a cut above the average FCS player. However, there are plenty of cases where an unheralded and/or undersized player hits his stride late and goes on to star not only in the FCS, but sometimes even at the next level. For example, Romo, Warner, Jerry Rice, etc. And Chase Reynolds played 8 man and walked on, I believe. So maybe this NJ kid could turn out to be the real deal, even if the FBS isn't that interested. Too soon for exaltations for sure, however. xchinscratchx

The thing is, a lot of those unheralded players didn't garner as much praise in high school as this kid has apparently gotten. He's not an undiscovered gem. If anything, he's been overexposed as everyone has taken a look at him due to his POY title. Schools just don't ignore someone with that pedigree - they obviously looked and decided he wasn't worth extending a scholly for.

mlbowl
January 13th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Some of the same people doggin this guy were on the other thread saying what a great catch for SLU...I personally hope we get this kid so we can run his undersized, slow, non-talented ass down our competitions throatxnodx

putter
January 13th, 2010, 04:49 PM

Sounds like a guy by with the initials of AE.....xeyebrowx

bleedblue
January 13th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Sounds like a guy by with the initials of AE.....xeyebrowx

Exactly. You can agree with Gannonfan's logic all you want but there have been plenty of cases where they have gotten it wrong, even within our school. Just because the logic makes sense does not mean this kid will not amount to anything. I'm not gonna argue with the logic however if logic were always right more women would agree with their husbands.lol

Dane96
January 13th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Word is...he is still committed to Albany. Let's see how this plays out.

That said, I think Gannonfan is right and he probably has some work to do. Albany would be a fine place to do it; read: Rashad Barksdale, Colin Disch, Dave McCarty, Andre Coleman, and countless others who were "castoffs" that turned into studs.