PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana Mr. Football commits to the Lions...

lionsrking2
January 11th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Southeastern Louisiana picks up two big QB commitments over the weekend, including Gavin Webster, who was recently named Mr. Football in Louisiana for 2009...Webster is the Lions 4th Rivals Three-Star commitment so far...Meyers is rated Two-Stars by both Rivals and Scout.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/81127677.html

Gavin Webster
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Gavin-Webster-90886
http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/article/2947158233155518647/lutcher-quarterback-gavin-webster-is-louisianas-mr-football-for-2009/
http://hssn-media.advance.net/NOLA.com/news/01142c07628769fb772edf3da7b6f6c4/gavin-webster.jpg

Jeremy Meyers
http://rivals.yahoo.com/pelicanpreps/football/recruiting/player-Jeremy-Meyers-77392
http://media.2theadvocate.com/images/jeremy+meyers_011110.jpg

Cocky
January 11th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Sounds like a lot of good players coming to a FCS school near you.

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Yikes! Nice grabs. xthumbsupx

ElonPride
January 11th, 2010, 10:39 AM
NICE!

Think about this, after a small school in North Carolina picked up Mr. North Carolina Football he ONLY ended up being one of the best WRs in FCS history! xsmiley_wix

lionsrking2
January 11th, 2010, 10:59 AM
NICE!

Think about this, after a small school in North Carolina picked up Mr. North Carolina Football he ONLY ended up being one of the best WRs in FCS history! xsmiley_wix

I think that was one of the selling points with Webster...he's got a chance to make a major impact here, similar to Armanti Edwards for App...if he goes to a bigger school and changes positions, not sure he's anything more than just another guy...not to mention he's an outstanding baseball player and the bigger schools weren't keen on him doing both...his uncle Lenny played 12 years in the big leagues.

GeauxColonels
January 11th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Yikes, big time pick-up for the Lions with Webster. That kid is a BEAST at the QB. Incredibly athletic. I really thought he would go to an FBS school though. Good for the Lions...bad for my Colonels that will have to play against him.

BEAR
January 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Yikes! Yeah, I'll just ditto what every other person here has said. xlolx Nice pick up there Lions. Even though I don't like opposing teams getting players that could beat us, it would be nice to see one of them go further than the first round in the playoffs. xhurrayxxlolx

NSUDemon98
January 11th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Southeastern Louisiana picks up two big QB commitments over the weekend, including Gavin Webster, who was recently named Mr. Football in Louisiana for 2009...Webster is the Lions 4th Rivals Three-Star commitment so far...Meyers is rated Two-Stars by both Rivals and Scout.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/81127677.html

Gavin Webster
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Gavin-Webster-90886
http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/article/2947158233155518647/lutcher-quarterback-gavin-webster-is-louisianas-mr-football-for-2009/
http://hssn-media.advance.net/NOLA.com/news/01142c07628769fb772edf3da7b6f6c4/gavin-webster.jpg

Jeremy Meyers
http://rivals.yahoo.com/pelicanpreps/football/recruiting/player-Jeremy-Meyers-77392
http://media.2theadvocate.com/images/jeremy+meyers_011110.jpg

Terrific pickup for the Lions! xbowx

I just hope we remember this moment since everyone rips NSU for publicizing a signee that they're proud of and citing Rivals.com...this is no different.

lionsrking2
January 11th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Terrific pickup for the Lions! xbowx

I just hope we remember this moment since everyone rips NSU for publicizing a signee that they're proud of and citing Rivals.com...this is no different.

The dIfference is I'm not the SID using Rivals to claim we have the best recruiting class in the country...I'm a fan doing what a lot of other fans do on this board when they get a commitment.

NSUDemon98
January 12th, 2010, 07:03 AM
The dIfference is I'm not the SID using Rivals to claim we have the best recruiting class in the country...I'm a fan doing what a lot of other fans do on this board when they get a commitment.

No difference.

lionsrking2
January 12th, 2010, 07:50 AM
No difference.

Sure pal.

GeauxColonels
January 12th, 2010, 11:28 AM
No difference.

Nope...none at all...except that there is a big difference.

RabidRabbit
January 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Nice get Lions! Think that we'll see him @ QB in Brookings, or down in Hammond (vs Rabbits) in '12?

With the passing attack of the Lions, he appears to be a good addition.

lionsrking2
January 12th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Nice get Lions! Think that we'll see him @ QB in Brookings, or down in Hammond (vs Rabbits) in '12?

With the passing attack of the Lions, he appears to be a good addition.

Hey RR, haven't heard from you in a while!

We'll have to get him signed and on campus first, but the hope is he'll be our guy...I would imagine he'll get hammered between now and signing day when the FBS schools start looking for fall-backs at the QB position...he's also a pretty good baseball player and we'll have see how the draft goes this June.

I wouldn't sell Meyers short either...he really came on as a QB this year, and has a lot of upside...glad we're taking both.

http://pelicanpreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1038781

NSUDemon98
January 12th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Sure pal.

Alright, Buddy. We'll see come signing day.

TexasTerror
January 12th, 2010, 08:48 PM

Best recruiting class...
Best schedule...

And projected as the last at-large team into the 2043 NCAA Division I football playoffs according to CheckMyFCSBracket.com... xsmileyclapx

cajundemon
January 13th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Best recruiting class...
Best schedule...

And projected as the last at-large team into the 2043 NCAA Division I football playoffs according to CheckMyFCSBracket.com... xsmileyclapx

Just couldn't help yourself, could you? Any jab towards NSU and you are first one in line.

You sir are a class act. If we posted anything about a good recruiting class or picking up a star recruit we get crucified, anybody else gets congratulated.

So what if we did have the best recruiting class in the nation last year, we're not the ones who rated the recruits.

And I don't remember anyone saying we had the best schedule, that makes zero sense...we had 5 home games.

NSUDemon98
January 13th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Best recruiting class...
Best schedule...

Not sure where you get the "best schedule"...I guess just making stuff up to pile on, big surprise there.

And every single one of you sheisty people know that had rivals.com had Nicholls St, SHSU, SLU, etc. as the highest rated FCS recruiting class it would have been on your athletic website. Don't pretend otherwise. Don't you even start blowing smoke and trying to act all holier than thou.

I can't wait for signing day to see the SLU athletic website. But we all know even if they have "3-star prospect Mr. Louisiana signs with SLU" plastered all over the SLU athletic website we won't hear a peep out of the normal stone throwers.

TexasTerror
January 13th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Not sure where you get the "best schedule"...I guess just making stuff up to pile on, big surprise there.

The schedule shtick comes from several years back. Happened sometime during the Stoker Era on multiple occasions.

And every single one of you sheisty people know that had rivals.com had Nicholls St, SHSU, SLU, etc. as the highest rated FCS recruiting class it would have been on your athletic website. Don't pretend otherwise. Don't you even start blowing smoke and trying to act all holier than thou.

Not really...some of us realize that most, if not all recruiting rankings are bunk. It is nice to have, but as we see time and time again - the recruiting rankings do not mean anything.

It is sort of like high school national rankings that determine "national champions" out of how many high schools across the nation?

In basketball, SHSU is typically rated in the middle of the conference as far as recruiting rankings while teams like Lamar and NWST are tops. Why is that? We are consistently in the top 2, 3 programs in the league while those programs are obviously not even in the top tier. Heck, Lamar had the #3 class in the country a few years ago in hoops - what bunk!

lionsrking2
January 13th, 2010, 08:58 AM

I can't wait for signing day to see the SLU athletic website. But we all know even if they have "3-star prospect Mr. Louisiana signs with SLU" plastered all over the SLU athletic website we won't hear a peep out of the normal stone throwers.

Listing a player's accolades and how they're viewed individually by the recruiting sites is pretty standard fare these days for most schools...claiming that Rivals' "recruiting analysts" ranked your class No. 1 in FCS is another issue entirely - especially when Rivals doesn't rank FCS classes separately...they only rank schools based on how many cumulative stars are awarded to all players in each recruiting class, and as you get further and further out from the top 25, the formula begins to break down...plus they don't take into account under-radar kids that don't receive any stars, but may be better players than kids receiving two and three stars.

If we hold what we have and add a few more players we're real close on, we'll probably get a high ranking, but it won't necessarily mean our class is any better - in reality - than anybody elses...will simply mean we may have won the "star wars" battle, which means very little in the grand scheme of things.

cajundemon
January 13th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Listing a player's accolades and how they're viewed individually by the recruiting sites is pretty standard fare these days for most schools...claiming that Rivals' "recruiting analysts" ranked your class No. 1 in FCS is another issue entirely - especially when Rivals doesn't rank FCS classes separately...they only rank schools based on how many cumulative stars are awarded to all players in each recruiting class, and as you get further and further out from the top 25, the formula begins to break down...plus they don't take into account under-radar kids that don't receive any stars, but may be better players than kids receiving two and three stars.

If we hold what we have and add a few more players we're real close on, we'll probably get a high ranking, but it won't necessarily mean our class is any better - in reality - than anybody elses...will simply mean we may have won the "star wars" battle, which means very little in the grand scheme of things.

They rank FBS and FCS together, and we where the highest rated FCS school. I don't have a problem at all with SLU fans getting excited about signing this guy, not looking forward to him carving up our defense but part of getting through the offseason is getting excited about recruiting classes.

lionsrking2
January 13th, 2010, 01:01 PM
They rank FBS and FCS together, and we where the highest rated FCS school. I don't have a problem at all with SLU fans getting excited about signing this guy, not looking forward to him carving up our defense but part of getting through the offseason is getting excited about recruiting classes.

I don't think anybody has a problem with others getting excited about their recruiting classes, or individuals in a recruiting class, but the problem comes when you spin a flawed formula that isn't designed to rank FCS classes:

"The 2009 football recruiting class announced Wednesday by new Northwestern State football coach Bradley Dale Peveto ranks No. 1 nationally in the Football Championship Subdivision, according to Rivals.com recruiting analysts."

I don't recall any Rivals analyst proclaim an FCS recruiting champion, nor do I recall seeing it on any Rivals affiliated board...all the ranking is, is a formula that's plugged in and spits out data...it works pretty well for the top 20 programs or so, but starts to break down the further down the list you get...info on FCS recruiting is incomplete at best because most recruits aren't even evaluated by anyone at Rivals...there's no way they could proclaim a recruiting champion at our level with any credibility.

SU DOG
January 13th, 2010, 06:48 PM
First off congrats to SLU. I hate to be the dummy here, but what exactly is this about NSU being #1 in FCS recruiting - link or article? I am expecially interested since my Bulldogs will be visiting Natchitoches this fall. THANKS

cajundemon
January 14th, 2010, 12:24 AM
First off congrats to SLU. I hate to be the dummy here, but what exactly is this about NSU being #1 in FCS recruiting - link or article? I am expecially interested since my Bulldogs will be visiting Natchitoches this fall. THANKS

Its a pointless discussion, and apparently it didn't matter because we didn't win a game this past season.

cajundemon
January 14th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I don't think anybody has a problem with others getting excited about their recruiting classes, or individuals in a recruiting class, but the problem comes when you spin a flawed formula that isn't designed to rank FCS classes:

"The 2009 football recruiting class announced Wednesday by new Northwestern State football coach Bradley Dale Peveto ranks No. 1 nationally in the Football Championship Subdivision, according to Rivals.com recruiting analysts."

I don't recall any Rivals analyst proclaim an FCS recruiting champion, nor do I recall seeing it on any Rivals affiliated board...all the ranking is, is a formula that's plugged in and spits out data...it works pretty well for the top 20 programs or so, but starts to break down the further down the list you get...info on FCS recruiting is incomplete at best because most recruits aren't even evaluated by anyone at Rivals...there's no way they could proclaim a recruiting champion at our level with any credibility.

I never said they proclaimed us champion, I never said rivals was anything more than a formula. The point that it is flawed is your opinion. My point is that we did have the highest rated recruiting class in FCS according to rivals, and there's nothing wrong with us headlining that on our website.

cajundemon
January 14th, 2010, 12:41 AM

He finds anything and everything to slam us with."uhh uhh well you said a few years ago that you had a great schedule" sounds like a little kid running out of insults. And it doesn't even make sense, we've never had a great schedule.

The word "obsessed" comes to mind. xlolx

lionsrking2
January 14th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I never said they proclaimed us champion, I never said rivals was anything more than a formula. The point that it is flawed is your opinion. My point is that we did have the highest rated recruiting class in FCS according to rivals, and there's nothing wrong with us headlining that on our website.

I never said you said anything...the official release from last year did and that's what some on this board took offense to...if you think that's okay then more power to you, but posting stories and ratings on individual players is not the same thing.

NSUDemon98
January 14th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I never said you said anything...the official release from last year did and that's what some on this board took offense to...if you think that's okay then more power to you, but posting stories and ratings on individual players is not the same thing.

Like when I made a post about NSU picking up a transfer linebacker from some FBS school. I only posted that we got a transfer...that's all...and I was IMMEDIATELY slammed by all sorts of insults and jabs. People just have it out for us...plain and simple.

JohnStOnge
January 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM

If you go to http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?SID=0 you'll see a Rivals.com ranking of schools as far as recruiting goes. Last year, Northwestern State was the most highly ranked FCS school in those rankings.

GeauxLions94
January 14th, 2010, 08:21 PM

Would be nice if Samford and Southeastern would get together for a home-and-home. The Bulldog-Demon series should be a good one and I remember some of the games with Nicholls State back in the 90's.

DG Cowboy
January 15th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Heck, I'm so old I remember when McNeese played Howard back in the 60's. Some Samford folks may not even know that was them then.

Having walked on at SLU in basketball for a semester, and with one degree from McNeese and two from Northwestern, I love 'em all.