PDA

View Full Version : UNH associate HC to Hamilton (D-III)

colgate13
December 28th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Not sure if I missed this, but Steve Stetson is the new HC at Hamilton College (http://www.hamilton.edu/news/more_news/display.cfm?ID=10170) down the road from Colgate. Hamilton is D-III, but how does this effect UNH?

UNH 40
December 28th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Steve Stetson was the Defensive Ends coach at UNH he was an excellent coach and did a lot of good things for the program. He is a great judge of talent and is responisible for recruiting and convincing David Ball to walk on at UNH. Hamliton college is getting a great coach and a better man. Sad to see him go, but very happy for him he deserves it.

TypicalTribe
December 28th, 2005, 11:14 AM
The Hamilton administration has recently made the decision to make a successful football team a priority and this certainly looks like a good first step. Sounds like he has had success pretty much everywhere he's been, including the first stint in Clinton. Good news for the Conts, but only time will tell what effect it will have in Durham.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 28th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Crazy thought - Hamilton had a horrible NESCAC year in football last year, but any thought they might want to ultimately go to I-AA? Are the academically up to PL snuff? They would appear to be, at first glance.

colgate13
December 28th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Crazy thought - Hamilton had a horrible NESCAC year in football last year, but any thought they might want to ultimately go to I-AA? Are the academically up to PL snuff? They would appear to be, at first glance.

Yes, crazy thought indeed. There is no chance in H-E-Double Hockey Sticks that Hamilton will ever go D-I. They are D-III all the way. They keep company with the Williams, Amherst, Middlebury, Tufts crowd.

Academically, though, they are more than up to PL snuff. They would slot in right next to Colgate.

Go...gate
December 28th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Hamilton is NESCAC all the way. They won't even play us in BB any more, and they used to beat us all the time.

Marcus Garvey
December 28th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Hamilton is NESCAC all the way. They won't even play us in BB any more, and they used to beat us all the time.

Interesting thing about Hamilton's conference affiliation. They're NESAC as a football affiliate only. For the remainder of sports, they are Liberty League (nee Upstate Athletic Association). The Liberty League has as members:
Clarkson, Hobart/William Smith, RPI, U of Rochester, St. Lawrence, Union, Skidmore and Vassar. Not a bad group of schools to be hob-nobbing with either, though not nearly as "elite" as Amherst, Williams, Tufts and Bowdoin.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 28th, 2005, 08:08 PM
While not knowing any details about Stetson, I always felt he brought a lot of experience and skill to his assistant's position at UNH. Much more than usually obtained with assistant coach money at UNH. I was worried last year that he might get the Dartmouth job. In the long run, this will probably have some negative impact, but it sounds like a great opportunity for Steve at Hamilton.

An aside from a road trip to Colgate to watch a UNH-Colgate hoop game: I learned that Colgate was located in Hamilton, NY but Hamilton College was not! Then while driving from Utica to Hamilton through Clinton I see Hamilton College. I doublechecked my Arizona Ice Tea to see if I had switched it with Saranac brewski!! xlolx xlolx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 28th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Marcus,

Just as a FYI, Rochester plays some of their sports in the University Athletic Association.

UAA Home (http://www.uaa.rochester.edu/)

Every time somebody brings up travel costs, I think of this conference. The footprint from Boston to NYC to Rochester to Pittsburgh to Cleveland to Chicago to St. Louis to Atlanta is mind boggling! But there's no question these are like minded institutions!!!!

colgate13
December 29th, 2005, 07:21 AM
An aside from a road trip to Colgate to watch a UNH-Colgate hoop game: I learned that Colgate was located in Hamilton, NY but Hamilton College was not! Then while driving from Utica to Hamilton through Clinton I see Hamilton College. I doublechecked my Arizona Ice Tea to see if I had switched it with Saranac brewski!! xlolx xlolx

You are not the first to do that double take!

Go...gate
December 29th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Marcus, I stand corrected and many thanks.

BTW, the UAA's finest hour was last night when Carnegie-Mellon knocked off Princeton in hoops at Jadwin Gym, 51-46.