PDA

View Full Version : Villanova: Two Votes In Final AP Poll...

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2010, 08:53 AM
The way some of these bowls went, they probably deserved a few more.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1/seasontype/3

appmaj
January 8th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Either they got 2 votes for #25 or 1 vote for #24
14-0 Boise #4???????

jlcharles
January 8th, 2010, 09:16 AM
14-0 Boise #4???????

I'd like to see the actual ballots to find out.

And the Boise BS is why I hope we never move up. FBS football is a sham.

TheValleyRaider
January 8th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Crank up the Buckeye hype machine for 2010.... xwhistlex

Rekdiver
January 8th, 2010, 09:31 AM
2 votes for a team is a crumb.....although is shows the best of the 1-AA are certaintly better than some ofthe bowl teams that played. I will never go to Mobile, Shreveport, Memphis, Dertoit, Toronto or Boise for a crap bowl.

JMUNJ08
January 8th, 2010, 09:34 AM
14-0 Boise #4???????

The voters really have to be downright biased against them. They shut down a team many thought would have had a good shot at 'bama if Texas didn't get that last second back.

WVAPPmountaineer
January 8th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Great for Nova - The Appalachian Rule - Give me the top 4-5 teams in FCS and I will take on just about all of these teams from the nothing bowls and would beat them ----

appmaj
January 8th, 2010, 09:40 AM
The voters really have to be downright biased against them. They shut down a team many thought would have had a good shot at 'bama if Texas didn't get that last second back.

If TCU had beaten Boise i think we would have a totally different looking poll

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Good for Nova. Boise is a joke. BCS succeeded in blocking them by putting them up against TCU. xnonono2x

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2010, 09:49 AM
2 votes for a team is a crumb.....although is shows the best of the 1-AA are certaintly better than some ofthe bowl teams that played. I will never go to Mobile, Shreveport, Memphis, Dertoit, Toronto or Boise for a crap bowl.

Maybe you won't but if App played Baylor in Mobile, 20,000 of your fellow fans would be en route.

We can knock the second and third tier bowls all we want, but if the non-BCS world is so bad, where are all the schools coming back to the playoffs of I-AA?

JMUNJ08
January 8th, 2010, 09:52 AM
If TCU had beaten Boise i think we would have a totally different looking poll

Agreed. IF TCU had won big as well, maybe garner a first place vote or two? Probably not, if they did beat a GT/Florida/Cincy maybe...

Good for Nova. Boise is a joke. BCS succeeded in blocking them by putting them up against TCU. xnonono2x

The conspiracy continues. The new BCS commish made some boneheaded statements yesterday as well about how great the BCS has been and that while the playoffs work for EVERYONE ONE ELSE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, it can't for FBS because of the toilet bowl system. (i may have embelished a little....xwhistlex)

appmaj
January 8th, 2010, 09:56 AM

I agree! Well Played BCS self insuring its future.

Agreed. IF TCU had won big as well, maybe garner a first place vote or two? Probably not, if they did beat a GT/Florida/Cincy maybe...

The conspiracy continues. The new BCS commish made some boneheaded statements yesterday as well about how great the BCS has been and that while the playoffs work for EVERYONE ONE ELSE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, it can't for FBS because of the toilet bowl system. (i may have embelished a little....xwhistlex)

Not too much embellishment. He basically said all the things that KEEP HIS JOB SAFE...

MplsBison
January 8th, 2010, 10:15 AM

Yes you would. If App was playing.

Otherwise, don't call yourself an App fan.

UNH Fanboi
January 8th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I hate the BCS as much as anyone, but this poll doesn't bother me that much. FWIW, Sagarin has Boise at 5 (and as low as 11th according to pure points) and there are good arguments that Alabama, Florida and Texas are all better than Boise. Of course it would be better if this was settled on the field.

putter
January 8th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I hate the BCS as much as anyone, but this poll doesn't bother me that much. FWIW, Sagarin has Boise at 5 (and as low as 11th according to pure points) and there are good arguments that Alabama, Florida and Texas are all better than Boise. Of course it would be better if this was settled on the field.

and there is the rub. Yes most people, me included, would not have Boise beating Bama, Texas or Florida but do we really know? All you have to do is be better THAT GAME. Remember Oklahoma..

I agree with a previous post, putting Boise against TCU sealed the deal for the BCS this year

NovaWildcat
January 8th, 2010, 11:32 AM

jlcharles...why do you hope we never move up?
Did you play at VU by any chance?

Just curious to your response as you're in a very small minority in thinking that.

Hoyadestroya85
January 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM
This makes me wonder if Villanova will get votes to open up next season or if these votes were just a consolation.

GannonFan
January 8th, 2010, 01:24 PM

Just curious to your response as you're in a very small minority in thinking that.

He's a nova fan - he's already in a very small minority!!! xlolx

Ivytalk
January 8th, 2010, 01:28 PM
He's a nova fan - he's already in a very small minority!!! xlolx

Zing!xlolx

Anyway, good for Nova. There are an awful lot of FBS schools that would give Aunt Minnie's left boob for 2 points in the final poll.xsmileyclapxxnodx

UNH Fanboi
January 8th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Nova can barely fill half their stadium for playoff games and there's talk of them going up?? How the hell are they going to average the FBS minimum of 15K a game?

EKU05
January 8th, 2010, 02:24 PM
For all those complaining about the Boise thing, who exactly do you think they are better than? All you can ask is for the voters to vote honestly, and as impressive as their season was I could no in good conscience have voted them any higher than #4. There's no concrete reason to believe they're any better than Cincinnati who got obliterated by Florida.

Nova's votes were well deserved. That was a very good football team.

Hoyadestroya85
January 8th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Nova can barely fill half their stadium for playoff games and there's talk of them going up?? How the hell are they going to average the FBS minimum of 15K a game?

Easy, our fans would be more inclined to go to games against our true peers rather than teams we play against in one sport.

GannonFan
January 8th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Easy, our fans would be more inclined to go to games against our true peers rather than teams we play against in one sport.

Or so the hope goes. Of course, nova had trouble getting people to games like that back before they dropped football, and heck, even had trouble getting people down to the Wachovia Center even back in the Lappas days so there's certainly a question of how many fans would go to see a team that isn't a top 10 team in football regardless of who they are playing (and of course, once that sticky question of where such a stadium would be for them to play in).

Hoyadestroya85
January 8th, 2010, 02:35 PM
You also have the traveling contingent of the other teams.. if UConn made it work, Villanova can.

UNH Fanboi
January 8th, 2010, 03:07 PM

Who do you consider to be there true peers? If you mean the Big East, their BB Conference, all the other FB Big East schools are more than twice Nova's size:

Villanova - 9,500

Cincinnati - 39,667
UConn - 29,383
Louisville - 21,689
Pitt - 32,105
Rutgers - 34,696
USF - 40,261
Syracuse - 18,247
WVU - 28,839

If Nova moved up to FBS, they'd be in the bottom ~10% of FBS schools in terms of enrollment, and by far the smallest school in their football conference. I'm not familiar with the facilities of the other Big East FB schools, but I assume Nova would be way behind in that department as well.

Nova moving up to FBS sounds more like the pipe dream of some hardcore FB than something that the administration and students would actually rally around.

Hoyadestroya85
January 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Those are still our peers.. Wake Forest has 2,000 fewer undergrad students than Villanova.. Should they quit the ACC?

ASUG8
January 8th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Who do you consider to be there true peers? If you mean the Big East, their BB Conference, all the other FB Big East schools are more than twice Nova's size:

Villanova - 9,500

Cincinnati - 39,667
UConn - 29,383
Louisville - 21,689
Pitt - 32,105
Rutgers - 34,696
USF - 40,261
Syracuse - 18,247
WVU - 28,839

If Nova moved up to FBS, they'd be in the bottom ~10% of FBS schools in terms of enrollment, and by far the smallest school in their football conference. I'm not familiar with the facilities of the other Big East FB schools, but I assume Nova would be way behind in that department as well.

Nova moving up to FBS sounds more like the pipe dream of some hardcore FB than something that the administration and students would actually rally around.

I'm not sure what the size of school has to do with the argument - Wake Forest and Duke have no business in ACC football if that's the case.

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Division I athletics is not about enrollment. If so, Elon and Wofford would be in Division III and NYU would be in Division I.

Remember, it's not about the size of the dog in a fight...

UNH Fanboi
January 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Those are still our peers.. Wake Forest has 2,000 fewer undergrad students than Villanova.. Should they quit the ACC?

I'm not telling anyone to do anything. I'm just skeptical that Villanova has the institutional will to spend the amount of money necessary to compete in the Big East in football, especially in light their relatively weak attendance numbers in a season in which they won the FCS championship.

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM
You also have the traveling contingent of the other teams.. if UConn made it work, Villanova can.

UConn has an entire state to rally around it.

Hoyadestroya85
January 8th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I'm not telling anyone to do anything. I'm just skeptical that Villanova has the institutional will to spend the amount of money necessary to compete in the Big East in football, especially in light their relatively weak attendance numbers in a season in which they won the FCS championship.

That's because they don't care about us playing William and Mary or UNH! If we were playing against a team from the big east, they'd go.. Our turnout for Temple was around 10K

UNH Fanboi
January 8th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure what the size of school has to do with the argument - Wake Forest and Duke have no business in ACC football if that's the case.

You really don't see the relevance of size? In general, size has to do with (a) ability to spend money and (b) ability to put 15K butts in the stands every game.

I am well aware of the smaller schools that play in the FBS, and I never said smaller schools categorically could not play in the FBS.

If you want to talk about Duke and Wake Forest, Duke's endowment is 6.4 billion and Wake Forest's is 1.2 billion. Nova's is 335 million.

Do you really think that Nova's board will be excited about spending money on a move up to FBS in the worst recession in 70 years, especially given all the talk recently about how much money the majority of FBS schools lose on football?

Hoyadestroya85
January 8th, 2010, 04:12 PM
You really don't see the relevance of size? In general, size has to do with (a) ability to spend money and (b) ability to put 15K butts in the stands every game.

I am well aware of the smaller schools that play in the FBS, and I never said smaller schools categorically could not play in the FBS.

If you want to talk about Duke and Wake Forest, Duke's endowment is 6.4 billion and Wake Forest's is 1.2 billion. Nova's is 335 million.

Do you really think that Nova's board will be excited about spending money on a move up to FBS in the worst recession in 70 years, especially given all the talk recently about how much money the majority of FBS schools lose on football?

If Villanova would be moving up they'd be getting a fat tv revenue sharing check from the Big East.. There's no way in hell they'd be losing money. It would actually be more economically viable for them to do so.

mtmike
January 8th, 2010, 04:22 PM
That's because they don't care about us playing William and Mary or UNH! If we were playing against a team from the big east, they'd go.. Our turnout for Temple was around 10K

Really, 10K, c'mon Alabama had 90,000 people show up for their first practice this year. It makes me sad to think that our FCS national champion probably has 100 times as many fans that don't go to their games as do. Different situation here of course, we probably had 10,000 people trying to get the stream of the first press conference for our new head coach. I'd hate to see us go back to nobody caring about our team.

Hoyadestroya85
January 8th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Well that's just fantastic.. The fact is that people don't care about FCS football.. I'll go to games regardless who villanova is playing, but there are others who won't.

NovaWildcat
January 8th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Well that's just fantastic.. The fact is that people don't care about FCS football.. I'll go to games regardless who villanova is playing, but there are others who won't.

Exactly. UConn, Cuse excite people and draw crowds at Villanova...yes, that's due to basketball success...but so be it.

And financially, Villanova loses more money now playing non-revenue, expensive football than it would paying FBS.

What's stopping Villanova is the stadium issue, not the lack of a current fan base.

blukeys
January 8th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Exactly. UConn, Cuse excite people and draw crowds at Villanova...yes, that's due to basketball success...but so be it.

And financially, Villanova loses more money now playing non-revenue, expensive football than it would paying FBS.

What's stopping Villanova is the stadium issue, not the lack of a current fan base.

So move up and shut up the doubters. We all await the 'Nova move to FBS. Get Real and do it and quit talking about it. Nova folks are all talk with zero action.
I await the Nova move to the Big East. :p:p:p:p

NovaWildcat
January 9th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Nova folks are all talk with zero action.
I await the Nova move to the Big East. :p:p:p:p

I hope you realize how ridiculous that statement was. So now we can't talk about the issue because WE (the posters) are not moving the football team up?? huh? This all speculation for discussion, not a definitive decision that determines the fate of the program.

What's with all the hate from the Delaware people?

RookieWill
January 9th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Villanova is in a perfect position right now. They have their top ten hoops team in the best hoops conference in the land. However, unlike every other non football big east school they COULD move up if they needed to. Right now they don't need to. If the big east breaks up, and they're forced to go to the a-10 for hoops, they will seriously consider a move - support or not.

Villanova is a sports school. Cats have more NCAA champs than ANY other big east school. It is a part of nova's identity and they will protect the hoops program. But if thy don't need to move up for heir hoops team, they won't

oh yeah, nova didn't het two votes for 25 the place, they got one vote for 24th place

Sader87
January 9th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Lest we forget, Nova dropped football as late as 1980. I just don't think there is the institutional/geographical support there for FBS football.

ngineer
January 9th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Lest we forget, Nova dropped football as late as 1980. I just don't think there is the institutional/geographical support there for FBS football.

Excellent point. "How quickly they forget", and the other old saw,"People who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it." There is no institutional or core support for Villanova football. The student support is tepid...as in most East Coast small private schools where half the student body could give a rip about football. It's a different culture and mindset than the South and Big Sky areas where there is more focus.

WildCat In The Hat
January 9th, 2010, 10:03 AM

Wow, 10,000 for a supposed new rivalry game with two local teams about 15 miles apart? I'm sure about 8000 were Temple fans. Novas going nowhere...but at least they'll get there quickly.
Congrats on a great season, by the way.

CrackerRiley
January 9th, 2010, 02:48 PM

The final ballots are made public. I can't find this year's as of right now, though.

Hoyadestroya85
January 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I really don't think a lot of you understand the unique position Villanova is in as far as football is concerned. I'll lay it out real simply.

When Villanova dropped football in 1980, we had no conference affiliation.. If we were to move up, it would be to a conference with a BCS bowl tie in.
College football was nowhere near the animal nationwide as it is today. Now that we're in the ESPN era, it is much easier to get excited about it.
Villanova has a much larger national profile as a university now, so it's easier to draw interest for a major college football team.
When you play against UConn, Pitt and Louisville in Basketball, how can you get excited about playing against Towson and Rhode Island in Football?
National Television games (which Villanova would get) would bring casual fans to games.
Villanova has a fanbase, and probably a bigger one than most of it's peers in the CAA.. Many just don't see the reason to get season tickets if they can't get excited about who they're playing. There are people I know who would get season tickets if Villanova moved to the big east.

This isn't my choice, but Villanova moving up is far more viable than some of you know nothings say it is. The only true roadblock is the stadium issue.

Sader87
January 9th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I really don't think a lot of you understand the unique position Villanova is in as far as football is concerned. I'll lay it out real simply.

When Villanova dropped football in 1980, we had no conference affiliation.. If we were to move up, it would be to a conference with a BCS bowl tie in.
College football was nowhere near the animal nationwide as it is today. Now that we're in the ESPN era, it is much easier to get excited about it.
Villanova has a much larger national profile as a university now, so it's easier to draw interest for a major college football team.
When you play against UConn, Pitt and Louisville in Basketball, how can you get excited about playing against Towson and Rhode Island in Football?
National Television games (which Villanova would get) would bring casual fans to games.
Villanova has a fanbase, and probably a bigger one than most of it's peers in the CAA.. Many just don't see the reason to get season tickets if they can't get excited about who they're playing. There are people I know who would get season tickets if Villanova moved to the big east.

This isn't my choice, but Villanova moving up is far more viable than some of you know nothings say it is. The only true roadblock is the stadium issue.

Get Howie Long to buy one....he's making a lot of coin with those commercials.

VUCats02
January 9th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Howie Long could buy one but there is no place to put it :-P

GannonFan
January 9th, 2010, 10:52 PM

Which, of course, is such a massive roadblock that you could make all the lists in the world and it won't matter. nova has no viable stadium option and there's nothing on the horizon to correct that, barring nova moving their entire campus to somewhere where they can fit a stadium. The Linc is a non-starter, the soccer stadium in Chester is just that - a soccer stadium in Chester, so that's out, there'll never be a stadium built on or near campus thanks to Radnor, and Franklin Field won't support a big time FBS team, assuming Penn even wants to rent it out to nova in the first place.

DFW HOYA
January 9th, 2010, 10:57 PM
The Linc is a non-starter, the soccer stadium in Chester is just that - a soccer stadium in Chester, so that's out, there'll never be a stadium built on or near campus thanks to Radnor, and Franklin Field won't support a big time FBS team, assuming Penn even wants to rent it out to nova in the first place.

Franklin Field could support a I-A team (heck, it used to support the Eagles games until 1970) but it is not interested in renting it out to other colleges and (likely) bumping the Quakers in the process. The Big East requires schools have administrative control to change game times for TV purposes, and UPenn would never go with that.

Sader87
January 9th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Villanova is going into the Patriot League in football eventually...they're just loathe to admit it.

Syntax Error
January 9th, 2010, 11:03 PM
if the non-BCS world is so bad, where are all the schools coming back to the playoffs of I-AA?

If? xlolx Where are all the schools? Stuck in a time warp around 2005 when I-AA still existed? xlolx xsmiley_wix

WyomingGrizFan
January 9th, 2010, 11:28 PM
The only true roadblock is the stadium issue.

Well, you can always try and get an OOC game against the Griz @ Wash-Griz Stadium; We'd really luv to see you guys again sometime and hopefully even the score a wee bit. then another against MSU Bobcats in Bozeman the following week. That'll take care of two games. Why does the CAA need home games anyways? Ain't they the big bad o' major conference of FCS these days? You'all don't need no stinkin' home games. You can even go down to Red's Bar the night before the game and get liquored up like some of those S.F. Austin players did. Think of the bennies.

Syntax Error
January 9th, 2010, 11:37 PM
You can even go down to Red's Bar the night before the game and get liquored up like some of those S.F. Austin players did. Think of the bennies.

SFA players went and got "liquored up" the night before the game? xeyebrowx

WyomingGrizFan
January 10th, 2010, 01:28 AM
SFA players went and got "liquored up" the night before the game? xeyebrowx

Well, O.K., maybe it wasn't exactly the night before the game; My bad. Supposedly on the thursday night about thirty-six hours or so before kickoff:

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40910

You didn't know? Well, like they say; all in good fun.

Syntax Error
January 10th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Well, O.K., maybe it wasn't exactly the night before the game

Yeah, I thought it was two days before the game when they were out on the "town."

WyomingGrizFan
January 10th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Yeah, I thought it was two days before the game when they were out on the "town."

Yeah, my apologies to you and all concerned. Hyperbole isn't one of my better traits and I shouldn't say anything like that without all the facts in. I wasn't there and was going by impression residue. Something in my mind stuck like commenting like on the number of individuals involved supposedly and the coincidences that made me want to say:.."eight to ten hang-ov...,I mean, turnovers the next day." Just couldn't pass that happenstance association up there; even though facetious, of course.

Hoyadestroya85
January 10th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Which, of course, is such a massive roadblock that you could make all the lists in the world and it won't matter. nova has no viable stadium option and there's nothing on the horizon to correct that, barring nova moving their entire campus to somewhere where they can fit a stadium. The Linc is a non-starter, the soccer stadium in Chester is just that - a soccer stadium in Chester, so that's out, there'll never be a stadium built on or near campus thanks to Radnor, and Franklin Field won't support a big time FBS team, assuming Penn even wants to rent it out to nova in the first place.
Penn Agreed to Villanova using it back in the 90's when we did the feasability study according to Bob Mulcahy and the others who did the study. I don't see what else would change.. I doubt they would mind the extra cash. If the football team were to become a viable money making enterprise that Radnor could benefit from, they may be able to be swayed. Money is all that matters in Radnor, I have never seen a municipality with as many ways to make supplemental income.. Examples of which include parking meters, supplemental taxes, cost recovery (http://www.ohioinsurance.org/AccidentResponseFees/pdf/Attachment_05.pdf) and my personal favorite.. arresting college kids walking home from parties for public drunkenness (i guess they'd rather have them driving home.) If Radnor sees a benefit from their perspective, they'll budge.

Franklin Field could support a I-A team (heck, it used to support the Eagles games until 1970) but it is not interested in renting it out to other colleges and (likely) bumping the Quakers in the process. The Big East requires schools have administrative control to change game times for TV purposes, and UPenn would never go with that.
See above about renting out franklin field. The Quakers also have a smaller schedule than most teams because they usually have a max of five home games a year generally and they start the season two weeks after Villanova does. That would give some flexibility to the Big East scheduling wise, especially if you add a friday night home villanova game to the mix the day before the Quakers are set to play at home. The backwardness of the Ivy League would make for a very flexible schedule for the Big East especially due to the fact that they start later and end earlier than Villanova would if they were FBS.

Villanova is going into the Patriot League in football eventually...they're just loathe to admit it.
If the Patriot League decides to get with the 21st century and grant scholarships that wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. However, it is my personal belief that Villanova will either stay where they are in the CAA, move to the Big East or drop Football entirely.

DFW HOYA
January 10th, 2010, 03:46 PM
See above about renting out franklin field. The Quakers also have a smaller schedule than most teams because they usually have a max of five home games a year generally and they start the season two weeks after Villanova does. That would give some flexibility to the Big East scheduling wise, especially if you add a friday night home villanova game to the mix the day before the Quakers are set to play at home. The backwardness of the Ivy League would make for a very flexible schedule for the Big East especially due to the fact that they start later and end earlier than Villanova would if they were FBS.

The Big East has become much more TV-centric than in 1997 or 1998 and expects teams to move times on short notice if the Worldwide Leader tells them to. I don't know how likely Penn would be to move off its traditional 1:00 pm Saturday afternoon Ivy slots to accomodate Villanova.

Hey, at least this is a point of discussion. When the subject of Georgetown and the Big East comes up, it's usually tossed aside by the experts, but many (though not all) the same issues apply.

Finally, I don't think there's any way Villanova joins the PL at this point. A future hybrid league with PL teams? Maybe, but not under the current PL philosophy.

Hoyadestroya85
January 10th, 2010, 03:52 PM
eh.. GTown is in a better position stadium wise with RFK still sitting there unused except for DC United and concerts.

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 08:35 AM

xeyebrowx Didn't the dropping of football and joining the Big East occur the same year?

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 08:36 AM
eh.. GTown is in a better position stadium wise with RFK still sitting there unused except for DC United and concerts.
FF may be older than RFK, but RFK feels older.

Hoyadestroya85
January 11th, 2010, 09:18 AM
xeyebrowx Didn't the dropping of football and joining the Big East occur the same year?

Yes that is true, but the Big East did not start sponsoring football until 1991, so they are completely independent of one another. Had Villanova brought football back during a time the Big East fielded football, I can almost guarantee that Villanova would have never played 1-AA football (except in a transitional phase.)

DFW HOYA
January 11th, 2010, 09:42 AM

Villanova joined the Big East in the fall of 1980, and dropped football in the spring of 1981.

GannonFan
January 11th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Penn Agreed to Villanova using it back in the 90's when we did the feasability study according to Bob Mulcahy and the others who did the study. I don't see what else would change.. I doubt they would mind the extra cash. If the football team were to become a viable money making enterprise that Radnor could benefit from, they may be able to be swayed. Money is all that matters in Radnor, I have never seen a municipality with as many ways to make supplemental income.. Examples of which include parking meters, supplemental taxes, cost recovery (http://www.ohioinsurance.org/AccidentResponseFees/pdf/Attachment_05.pdf) and my personal favorite.. arresting college kids walking home from parties for public drunkenness (i guess they'd rather have them driving home.) If Radnor sees a benefit from their perspective, they'll budge.

If the Patriot League decides to get with the 21st century and grant scholarships that wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. However, it is my personal belief that Villanova will either stay where they are in the CAA, move to the Big East or drop Football entirely.

Radnor's not going to consent to a 30k-50k seat stadium being built in their township and money's got nothing to do with it - Radnor's already got loads of money. They do not want the hassle that would come with the traffic related to a 50k seat stadium. Heck, Radnor ended up restricting the size of the Pavillion when it got built because they didn't want the crowds and nova could and did offer Radnor money back then too. It would take up too much land and potentially could bring in crowds that would swamp traffic in the area - heck, Rt 30 is a mess on gamedays and that's only with 5k people going to the games now.

As for Franklin Field, sure Penn will rent it to you, but is Franklin Field a viable, full-year venue for FBS football? The place is a dump anymore and would need quite a lot of sprucing up and would need quite a few upgrades if it was to be used every week as you're proposing. Trying to put 30k to 50k in there for 6 or 7 dates in the year could be tough, and would you be able to attract those number of people to Franklin Field for football? It won't be a tailgating destination so you also have to wonder if it would be enough to draw people in. If there was a huge football fanbase already, maybe they'd adapt, but trying to grow one from scratch and do it that way - well, that would be tough.

jlcharles
January 11th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Nope never played. There isn't much room in college football for a 5'8" offensive lineman. xlolx

The BCS is an absolute travesty and a disgrace to sports. I don't care if we play Pitt instead of JMU. At the end of the season, you get to go to a crap bowl exhibition game. How could Temple fans legitimately get excited about playing a .500 UCLA team in DC? If FBS decides to join the rest of the planet with a playoff, I'll support a move up.

As for support, the students, alumni, locals, etc didn't support "big time" football when we had it. They won't support it now. I've come to grips with the fact that we're a basketball school. The students can't take a 5 minute walk from their dorm rooms, they aren't going to bus in large numbers to an off campus site. It just won't happen.

I remember seeing a story earlier this year about how many schools actually make money in football. IIRC the vast majority, even those in BCS conferences, lose money. Probably more money than we lose now.

And does anyone know a breakdown between private and public universities in FBS?

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 11:21 AM
the Big East did not start sponsoring football until 1991
How did I not recall that? xconfusedx

Hoyadestroya85
January 11th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Because the big east was quite underwhelming when they started football.. Miami was really the only good team until VT joined.

DFW HOYA
January 11th, 2010, 01:47 PM
And does anyone know a breakdown between private and public universities in FBS?

Publie 101, Private 17, the private school list really hasn't changed since the I-A/AA split (bowl teams in bold).

ACC (4)
Miami 9-4
Boston College 8-5
Wake Forest 5-7
Duke 5-7

Big East (1)
Syracuse 4-8

Big Ten (1)
Northwestern 8-5

Big 12 (1)
Baylor 4-8

Conference USA (4)