PDA

View Full Version : Cornell's Attempt at Merit Aid Squashed By IL

Lehigh Football Nation
January 7th, 2010, 03:42 PM
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/01/05/qt/ivies_force_cornell_to_modify_aid_for_athletes

Cornell University, in the face of opposition from the Ivy League, has stopped including athletes in a financial aid enhancement announced a year ago. Under the program, selected groups of students who qualified for need-based aid and who were particularly desirable to the university -- including some athletes -- had the parental contributions in their aid packages reduced. "While we thought that including student-athletes with demonstrated need among those eligible for enhanced need-based aid awards meets Ivy League standards and practices, the league did not agree," said Simeon Moss, a spokesman for Cornell.

This is interesting for two reasons.

1) It looks like it's business as usual when it comes to the operation of the Ivy League: zero transparency, and quizzical decisions that only further the further athletic hegemony of the Richest Three (Harvard, Yale and Princeton) over the "Other Five". I'd love a full explanation from the league office as to how Cornell's enhancement package wrecks competitiveness in the IL - or, in other words, how, in today's world, the "Other Five" can compete with H-Y-P athletically.

2) Could this be a "shot across the bow" of the PL, too? Cornell - in some ways, Colgate's twin - tried to, in effect, edge towards the PL's "Grant-in-aid" model for some athletes, and ran into a brick wall with the IL leadership. Might this be a preview of what happens with IL OOC games if the PL implements scholarships? If nothing else it signals a retreat to "ideological purity".

Franks Tanks
January 7th, 2010, 03:57 PM
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/01/05/qt/ivies_force_cornell_to_modify_aid_for_athletes

This is interesting for two reasons.

1) It looks like it's business as usual when it comes to the operation of the Ivy League: zero transparency, and quizzical decisions that only further the further athletic hegemony of the Richest Three (Harvard, Yale and Princeton) over the "Other Five". I'd love a full explanation from the league office as to how Cornell's enhancement package wrecks competitiveness in the IL - or, in other words, how, in today's world, the "Other Five" can compete with H-Y-P athletically.

2) Could this be a "shot across the bow" of the PL, too? Cornell - in some ways, Colgate's twin - tried to, in effect, edge towards the PL's "Grant-in-aid" model for some athletes, and ran into a brick wall with the IL leadership. Might this be a preview of what happens with IL OOC games if the PL implements scholarships? If nothing else it signals a retreat to "ideological purity".

Maybe Cornell is the new PL member we have been searching for!

I expect a blog post about this in 20 minutes

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Perhaps the majority of their athletes are enrolled in the SUNY Cornell programs. Highly unlikely, although i have heard rumors that some of the hockey players will not be confused for Rhodes Scholars.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 7th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Maybe Cornell is the new PL member we have been searching for!

I expect a blog post about this in 20 minutes

Shhh. next week. I've got wrestling and basketball games to promote, you know! xsmiley_wix

Bogus Megapardus
January 7th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Cornell University, in the face of opposition from the Ivy League, has stopped including athletes in a financial aid enhancement announced a year ago.

The operative word, of course, is "announced." Don't announce. Just do. It saves headaches. Anybody have any statistics on how many SUNY-Ithaca (i.e. Hotel Management School) enrollees are athletes for the Big Red? Do they count in the Ivy AI?

DFW HOYA
January 7th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Solution: Trade Cornell to the PL for Georgetown and a stadium to be named later. xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
January 7th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Solution: Trade Cornell to the PL for Georgetown and a stadium to be named later. xlolx

xlolxxrotatehxxnodx

Only if you can pronounce "Schoellkopf" properly!

Actually, no deal - We want Brown *and* Dartmouth for Georgetown (geographic balance for Holy Cross) plus three additional Nobel laureates, a particle accelerator and a Presidential candidate in each of the next three election cycles. Otherwise Georgetown stays.

ngineer
January 7th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Maybe Cornell is the new PL member we have been searching for!I expect a blog post about this in 20 minutes

Beat me to it.xnodx

busybee14
January 7th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Got this off the Ivy board.

http://www.metaezra.com/archive/2010/01/an_ivy_dialogue.shtml

Ivytalk
January 7th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Got this off the Ivy board.

http://www.metaezra.com/archive/2010/01/an_ivy_dialogue.shtml

Crude Big Red attempt at humor. xviolinxotto4pres's threads are more impressive.xcoffeex

Bogus Megapardus
January 7th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Crude Big Red attempt at humor. xviolinxotto4pres's threads are more impressive.xcoffeex

I think MetaEzra's limitation to "most sub-Saharan countries" was unwarranted and an unfairly narrow representation of Harvard's abundance. I'm not sure how much more of this sort of insolence you can take.

Seawolf97
January 7th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Maybe their basketball team was getting too much press for almost beating Kansas.

Ivytalk
January 7th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I think MetaEzra's limitation to "most sub-Saharan countries" was unwarranted and an unfairly narrow representation of Harvard's abundance. I'm not sure how much more of this sort of insolence you can take.

Actually, after the hit Harvard's endowment has taken recently, it may have been an understatement.xsmhx

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2010, 09:26 AM
The snap at Harvard's "recruiting violations" in basketball is under the belt (and patently untrue) - but everything else in MetaEzra's post, to me, seems pretty spot on.

Right. As we said: We're Harvard. We have the arrogance of Larry Summers and more resources than most sub-Saharan countries.

Come on now, THAT's funny! xlolx