PDA

View Full Version : Nicholls Names Head Coach

TexasTerror
January 4th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Several web sites including FootballScoop, the Nicholls fan board and D2football.com are reporting that the Colonels are hiring Charlie Stubbs as head coach. Stubbs was an offensive assistant under recently named SHSU head football coach Willie Fritz at Central Missouri.

No confirmation from Nicholls at this point. Will post any further information when available.

Finalists included...

Texas A&M-Kingsville head coach Jeremy "Bo" Atterberry
Liberty University assistant coach William Hickson
Central Arkansas assistant head coach Hud Jackson
Nicholls' current interim coach Kent Keith
Charleston Southern head coach Jay Mills
University of Louisiana-Lafayette assistant Tim Rebowe
Grambling offensive coordinator James Spady
Central Missouri offensive coordinator Charles Stubbs
former University of Louisiana-Monroe head coach Charlie Weatherbie
former Tulane assistant, current St Charles HS head coach Frank Monica

Syntax Error
January 4th, 2010, 08:43 PM
"Nicholls Names Head Coach" ??? Not yet. ;)

BJuice
January 4th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Shhhhhew!!!! Hopefully this report is correct. I hope it is anybody on that list beside Jay Mills.

I hope this is a case where Nicholls has saught out Coach Mills and not one where he has saught them out. I would absolutely HATE to lose him. He is in the process of doing some great things at Charleston Southern, and it would hurt badly to lose him.

The job of building a program at Charleston Southern that Coach Mills is doing is not done yet; not even close. There is too much unfinished business and the potential is too great, and he has done too good of a job just to turn it over to someone else. This program is his and I hope he stays to see it start to reach it's full potential.

However, I am happy to know that we have a coach that other programs want.

SuperJon
January 4th, 2010, 10:42 PM
BJuice, you're gonna have to get ready for that day to come. Mills has been sending his resume out consistently each year for the past few years. He's making less at CSU than some coordinators in FCS football are making. While he's doing some good things down there, there comes a point where you think that you deserve more. Luckily for you, it's CSU that's holding him back from getting a better job.

TColonel
January 5th, 2010, 09:26 AM
BJuice - you can breathe a bit easier, it is not Mills. Mills and Nicholls' AD have ties and he was a finalist, but it will be Stubbs. The press conference is today and I am sure Texas Terror will have some info posted this afternoon.

TexasTerror
January 5th, 2010, 09:50 AM
More reports today regarding the hire...the funny thing is that it was widely known last night and neither the Times Picayune or Baton Rouge Advocate said anything other than a head coach would be named today...

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/sports-blogs/ken-trahan/299738-charlie-stubbs-to-be-named-football-coach-at-nicholls-state.html

TexasTerror
January 5th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Official release...

http://geauxcolonels.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010510aae.html

BJuice
January 5th, 2010, 10:54 PM
BJuice, you're gonna have to get ready for that day to come. Mills has been sending his resume out consistently each year for the past few years.

I can see why you and fans of the other schools in the Big South would be looking forward to Coach Mills moving on. He is a threat in the conference because of his supreme coaching abilities, the way he prepares his team, his ability to get the most out of his teams every year, exceed pre-season predictions, and he is steadily building Charleston Southern into a threat.

I think he was aware (at least he should have been) of the challenges when he signed on to be our coach. I also believe he understood that he wouldn't be making what "other" coaches make, but it was about the opportunity to build a program basically from scratch and experience the success and personal satisfaction in knowing that he is building a leagacy at Charleston Southern if he stays to see it through.

SuperJon
January 5th, 2010, 11:07 PM
I'm not looking forward to Coach Mills leaving. I want him to stay as long as Liberty is in the Big South. He makes CSU competitive which is nothing short of a miracle. CSU not being terrible and being a consistent threat to knock off one of the conference leaders every years is something that's good for the league.

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Editorial from the Houma Courier...

It was obvious once former Colonels coach Jay Thomas was a fired that the triple-option offense was dead.

It very clear that the new head coach was either going to be associated with the spread offense or some type of offense other than the triple option.

Stubbs is clearly a spread-offense guy, however, the spread was tried before at Nicholls and wasn’t successful.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20100106/OPINION01/100109731?Title=Stubbs-is-now-the-man

chrisattsu
January 6th, 2010, 03:02 PM
http://www.ucmo.edu/athletics/football/coaches/08Coaches/Stubbs_Charlie.JPG

Welcome to the Southland, Coach.

MplsBison
January 6th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Editorial from the Houma Courier...

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20100106/OPINION01/100109731?Title=Stubbs-is-now-the-man

Any offense is going to be good if you have good talent to run it.

Question seems to be, why would good talent choose to go to Nicholls? Not trying to be a jerk, I seriously don't know much about the school or that part of the country. What does Nicholls offer to players?

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Question seems to be, why would good talent choose to go to Nicholls? Not trying to be a jerk, I seriously don't know much about the school or that part of the country. What does Nicholls offer to players?

Same reason many other schools are "attractive" to prospective student-athletes - Nicholls provides a chance for kids to play Division I football.

Louisiana is one of the top states for producing talented Division I athletes in the sport and some kids want to stay home to play infront of friends and family. Nicholls has a great base from which to recruit - New Orleans and Baton Rouge, plus the river parishes. If they do what SLU - they can do well in the Mississippi JUCOs as well.

There's plenty of talent - Nicholls has been to the playoffs and was inches in 2005 against Furman in the first round from advancing to the quarterfinals.

lionsrking2
January 7th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Any offense is going to be good if you have good talent to run it.

Why don't you ask that question to Ladarius Webb, Kareem Moore, Johnny Meads, Daryl Pounds, Mark Carrier, Gary Barbaro, etc...all of those guys played at Nicholls, were good talents and played in the NFL.

Nicholls State is our natural rival, and I'm not all that enthused about defending them, but they offer the same things most FCS programs can offer and Thibodaux is a pretty good college town...not to mention a lot of kids like to stay close to home, and they offer that opportunity to some who wish to do so.

GeauxColonels
January 7th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I pretty much expected a change in offensive philosophy. But I think this will also cause at least a one year, maybe even 2 or 3 transition period. Going from a triple option offense to a spread offense is a HUGE change. I'm not sure Nicholls State has 4 WRs on the roster. The one thing about this that makes sense though, is that there are a LOT of New Orleans and south Louisiana high schools that run spread offenses. This will give those kids another option, close to home to play college FB.