PDA

View Full Version : CSN Names the 2009 FCS Fabulous Fifty All-American Team

CSN-info
December 29th, 2009, 12:54 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/89658_csnwhite50w.JPG

College Sporting News Names the 2009 FCS Fabulous Fifty All-American Team

50 players and head coach Henry Frazier III make up the 2009 edition of the Fabulous Fifty Team for Division I Football Championship Subdivision All-American honors from College Sporting News as selected by staff members. Including the honorable mention selections, 138 student-athletes from 70 schools are represented.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/12/29/college-sporting-news-names-the-2009-fcs?blog=5)

Wildcat80
December 29th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Well deserved congrats to New Hampshire's TE Sicko and DB Klein as 1st team and DB Vasso as HM!!! LB Ware was deserving too.

JohnStOnge
December 29th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Interesting that Jeremy Moses is picked as one of the quarterbacks for the "Fabulous Fifty" when Southland Conference coaches and sports information directors did not tab him as a first team pick at that position on the All Conference team.

Sly Fox
December 29th, 2009, 11:25 AM
As quality a player as Paul Fenaroli is he plays for Stony Brook and not Liberty.

CSN-info
December 29th, 2009, 12:39 PM
As quality a player as Paul Fenaroli is he plays for Stony Brook and not Liberty.

Correction notice was released. We regret the mislabeling.

CSN-info
December 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Interesting that Jeremy Moses is picked as one of the quarterbacks for the "Fabulous Fifty" when Southland Conference coaches and sports information directors did not tab him as a first team pick at that position on the All Conference team.

Often all-conference teams are skewed by "politics" within a league (see when Bruce Eugene was a Payton finalist but not named at all on the SWAC all-conference team).

JohnStOnge
December 29th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Often all-conference teams are skewed by "politics" within a league (see when Bruce Eugene was a Payton finalist but not named at all on the SWAC all-conference team).

Or there could be a differences in opinion as to who was the best overall performer at their position. I don't know who made first team all SWAC when Bruce Eugene was a Payton finalist, but maybe people who were generally more familiar with SWAC players thought the guy who made first team did a better job overall playing the position that year.

Different people look at things in different ways. Me, on balance, I tend to lean towards the assessment of people who are generally more familiar with a particular conference as to who the best players were at each position over the assessments of national groups. I suspect that most of the time the assessments are the same. I'd expect that people who are on a national team "first team" are usually on their conference's all league first team as well. But when the opinions differ I'd have to go with what people who tend to know the players better, presumably seen them perform more, etc., have to say.

JohnStOnge
December 29th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Since I went down this road: Is there anybody other than Jeremy Moses among the "Fabulous Fifty" who did not make their own league's all conference first team? I guess I could try to look it up but that'd take a lot of work when people who are familiar with each conference could probably tell quickly.

jmu007
December 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM
EDIT: Nevermind, I need to read more carefully.

Hoyadestroya85
December 29th, 2009, 09:14 PM
You'd have to be smoking crack to put Michael Silva on that list instead of Ben Ijalana. It's sort of like how the only Wide Receiver ever to win the Payton Award was voted the 29th best Receiver in FCS history.

Hoyadestroya85
December 29th, 2009, 09:17 PM
What percentage of the voters for this were south of the Mason Dixon Line?