PDA

View Full Version : Doug Williams interviews for SU head coaching job

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 27th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Doug Williams interviews for SU head coaching job

http://media.2theadvocate.com/images/122709dougwilliams.jpg
Doug Williams is seen in a 2005 file photo. Williams was interviewed Sunday for the position of Southern University head football coach.

By LES EAST
Special to The Advocate
Published: Dec 27, 2009 - UPDATED: 3:20 p.m.

NEW ORLEANS — Former Grambling quarterback and coach Doug Williams said Sunday that he interviewed Saturday for the vacant coaching position at Southern University.

Williams, who is Director of Pro Personnel for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL, confirmed the two-hour, off-campus meeting with Tony Clayton, Chairman of the Southern University System Board of Supervisors, prior to the Bucs game against the New Orleans Saints on Sunday afternoon in the Superdome.

“There was no resolution,” Williams said. “We talked about the goals for the programs and all the things that need to be done. Southern University is a very good job and for me it’s chance to stay home.”

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/80172047.html

kdinva
December 27th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I wonder what his feelings are on participating in the playoffs (insert photo of his Super Bowl ring here________;))

813Jag
December 27th, 2009, 06:23 PM
We'll see how this turns out xreadx

813Jag
December 27th, 2009, 06:27 PM
kdinva, I don't think his views have changed since he left Grambling. Nice try though xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
December 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM
kdinva, I don't think his views have changed since he left Grambling. Nice try though xlolx

Someone needs to find and paste his old quotes for all around AGS to read. xlolx

bluedog
December 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Someone needs to find and paste his old quotes for all around AGS to read. xlolx

xlolxxlolxxlolx They ain't ready xlolxxlolxxlolx

slostang
December 27th, 2009, 10:18 PM
It sure will be interesting if he gets the job.

McNeese75
December 27th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Great pick for the Jags. Should fit right in xwhistlex

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 28th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Great pick for the Jags. Should fit right in xwhistlex

xlolxxlolx

blackcaesar3k5
December 28th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Southern really needs to hired defensive minded coach...

bluedog
December 28th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Southern really needs to hired defensive minded coach...

Pete was.. xcoffeex

SU Jag
December 28th, 2009, 06:44 AM
The alums were talking about doug taking the job back in october. The SU job is one that Doug really wants to take from everything I've been hearing. Coach Rich was a defensive minded coach but for the past few years our defense hasn't been the " dawg-day defense" that SU fans saw in the past.

TexasTerror
December 28th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Doug would be a great hire...

It would give the 'new' Prairie View A&M a chance of having a legitimate rival for the 'crown' in the SWAC West. Really think that as long as HF3 and HN stay together, the Panthers will be tough to top going forward...

bluedog
December 28th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Doug would be a great hire...

It would give the 'new' Prairie View A&M a chance of having a legitimate rival for the 'crown' in the SWAC West. Really think that as long as HF3 and HN stay together, the Panthers will be tough to top going forward...

Well that's the kiss of death for PV because we know how most of your predictions turn out.

GeauxColonels
December 28th, 2009, 09:37 AM
How would hiring a former GSU player and coach go over with the Jaguar community?

TexasTerror
December 28th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Well that's the kiss of death for PV because we know how most of your predictions turn out.

Are you calling me Cador-esque?

813Jag
December 28th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Are you calling me Cador-esque?
Wouldn't really describe you as a winner. xcoffeex

JagHammer
December 28th, 2009, 11:27 AM
How would hiring a former GSU player and coach go over with the Jaguar community?

Depends on how he conducts himself and if he could get some more W's and championships in the record books.

GeauxColonels
December 28th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Depends on how he conducts himself and if he could get some more W's and championships in the record books.
But that would all be in hindsight. What's the feeling before he steps into the role (if, in fact, he does)? You see such a heated rivalry, and I just would think that many Jag fans wouldn't be comfortable with the choice. Just as if any Bama fans would hate an Auburn player/coach taking over. Or the same situation for Michigan/Ohio St.

JagHammer
December 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM
But that would all be in hindsight. What's the feeling before he steps into the role (if, in fact, he does)? You see such a heated rivalry, and I just would think that many Jag fans wouldn't be comfortable with the choice. Just as if any Bama fans would hate an Auburn player/coach taking over. Or the same situation for Michigan/Ohio St.

It has for Michigan and Ohio St...xnodx

Zangzigger
December 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I think that Williams' resume would be attractive to the alumni and boosters.

DG Cowboy
December 28th, 2009, 12:46 PM
SU may not want Doug. He played both ends of the McNeese home and home when he coached the GMen.

3rd Coast Tiger
December 28th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I'll put it out there...

Doug has went on record saying he could care less against playing the SLC.

McNeese72
December 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM
SU may not want Doug. He played both ends of the McNeese home and home when he coached the GMen.

Then I think he was quoted as saying he didn't want to play us or the SLC teams again. Don't remember the exact quote or the circumstances.

Doc

3rd Coast Tiger
December 28th, 2009, 02:58 PM
On second thought, scheduling Sammy the last few years wouldn't have been a bad idea. xlolx

jstate83
December 28th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I wonder what his feelings are on participating in the playoffs (insert photo of his Super Bowl ring here________;))

Doug has made his views on playing certain schools and the playoff's known based on shat he went through when he played college ball at GRAM.

DON'T GO THERE.................... xnonox xeekx xnonox

jstate83
December 28th, 2009, 03:14 PM

xlolxxlolxxlolx They ain't ready xlolxxlolxxlolx

xlolx

813Jag
December 28th, 2009, 03:22 PM
xlolx
you know most people think they know more about things than we do. xlolx

Panther88
December 28th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Just go on and say it literally guys... he doesn't care for the SLC and could care the hell less about the schools of the SLC or "others" of their ilk. :D lol

;) xlolxxthumbsupxxreadx

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Just go on and say it literally guys... he doesn't care for the SLC and could care the hell less about the schools of the SLC or "others" of their ilk. :D lol

;) xlolxxthumbsupxxreadx

xlolxxlolx

McNeese75
December 28th, 2009, 11:36 PM

;) xlolxxthumbsupxxreadx

It is very understandable why he could care less about the SLC. His record against the conference is somewhat less than outstanding. xlolx

He was certainly a much better player than he is a coach.

Mr. Tiger
December 29th, 2009, 01:19 AM
It is very understandable why he could care less about the SLC. His record against the conference is somewhat less than outstanding. xlolx

xrolleyesx His all-time record was 1-2 against the SLC. And he beat several non-conference I-AA/FCS teams during his tenure. And he went 10-2, 11-0, and 11-2 from 2000-2002. Carry on...

SU Jag
December 29th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Yeah mr.tiger, I read that post and I'm still trying to figure out what tha fugg dude is talking about. Doug has won as a coach everywhere he has been, from the high school level, to morehouse, to grambling.

Syntax Error
December 29th, 2009, 04:44 AM
His all-time record was 1-2 against the SLC. And he beat several non-conference I-AA/FCS teams during his tenure. And he went 10-2, 11-0, and 11-2 from 2000-2002. Carry on...
Doug never went 11-0 as a Grambling State head coach.

His Grambling State record and OOC track:

1998 (5-6)
Sep 26 Hampton (L) 15 - 28
Nov 14 Winston-Salem State (W) 35 - 28

1999 (7-4)
Sep 25 Hampton (L) 7 - 27
Nov 13 Winston-Salem State (W) 25 - 23

2000 (10-2)
Sep 09 AT Louisville (L) 0 - 52
Oct 07 AT Florida A&M (W) 12 - 10

2001 (10-1)
Sep 22 AT Portland State (W) 30 - 29
Nov 10 AT Nicholls State (W) 37 - 28

2002 (11-2)
Aug 31 AT McNeese State (L) 20 - 52
Sep 21 Tennessee State (W) 49 - 14
Sep 28 Langston University (W) 37 - 30
Nov 16 AT Morris Brown College (W) 64 - 36

2003 (9-3)
Aug 23 AT San Jose State (L) 0 - 29
Sep 20 McNeese State (L) 20 - 31
Nov 15 Savannah State (W) 33 - 17

Total: 9-6 OOC
1-2 against the SLC
1-2 against the MEAC
1-0 against the BSC
1-0 against the OVC
0-2 against FBS
5-0 against Sav St. and lesser div/defunct schools

2 seasons out of 6 with a winning OOC record.

Carry on.

bluedog
December 29th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Douglas "Doug" Williams Records by Year (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=3119&year=2001)

He went 11-0 in 2001 Syntax Error

OOC 9-6

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southwestern/grambling_state/yearly_results.php?year=1995

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southwestern/grambling_state/yearly_results.php?year=2000

Panther88
December 29th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Nah. I think he doesn't like the SLC because of your history and how you people segregated yourselves, back in the day of course lol. xlolx I'm not his speaker but I seem to vividly recall it's something along those lines. I may be wrong so someone can correct me if I am.

Don't hate on the messenger, hate the message. xthumbsupxxreadx

kekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekeke xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
December 29th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Doug more or less basically said why should we play them now?

They didn't want to play us "SWAC teams" back then so why should we help them increase their home attendance averages now?

Panther88
December 29th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Doug more or less basically said why should we play them now?

They didn't want to play us "SWAC teams" back then so why should we help them increase their home attendance averages now?

*cough* *cough*

The truth hurts doesn't it? :D

Sly Fox
December 29th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Douglas "Doug" Williams Records by Year (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=3119&year=2001)

He went 11-0 in 2001 Syntax Error

OOC 9-6

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southwestern/grambling_state/yearly_results.php?year=1995

Talk about working the technicalities ... GSU lost to Alabama State on the field but they pick up the win via forfeiture.

WestCoastAggie
December 29th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Talk about working the technicalities ... GSU lost to Alabama State on the field but they pick up the win via forfeiture.

Do you expect anything else from the SWAC??? xlolx

jstate83
December 29th, 2009, 12:18 PM

So the SWAC should not follow NCAA rules when they take game's away from teams that are being penalized.
Some of ya'll need to think before you post.
A little reasearch instead of taking TT's word would have revealed that little bamma State "win".

I take it your not the sharpest on this subject either.
How do people that try and act like they know so much about the SWAC come in making statements like these. xlolx
I get a good laugh here every day.xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
December 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Delaware State's forfeits a conference game to play non conference Michigan Wolverines for a $500K payday? xconfusedx

This should look familiar to many around here in what I'm saying...

http://www.hollow-hill.com/sabina/images/glass-houses.jpg

jstate83
December 29th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Delaware State's forfeits a conference game to play non conference Michigan Wolverines for a $500K payday? xconfusedx

This should look familiar to many around here in what I'm saying...

http://www.hollow-hill.com/sabina/images/glass-houses.jpg

Kicked a conference member to the curb for an OOC beatdown but they want to act up on the lil ole SWAC. xlolx

bluedog
December 29th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Kicked a conference member to the curb for an OOC beatdown but they want to act up on the lil ole SWAC. xlolx

Double standards..... it how they were raised.

bluedog
December 29th, 2009, 12:56 PM

He felt that way long before GSU played you guys. It goes back to the days when he played ball and none of you (inparticular McNeese) would play in State HBCU's, neither would any of the other schools in your conference.

That ought to be clear enough for you to understand since you do know Louisiana history and certain past culture.

WestCoastAggie
December 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM
So the SWAC should not follow NCAA rules when they take game's away from teams that are being penalized.
Some of ya'll need to think before you post.
A little reasearch instead of taking TT's word would have revealed that little bamma State "win".

I take it your not the sharpest on this subject either.
How do people that try and act like they know so much about the SWAC come in making statements like these. xlolx
I get a good laugh here every day.xlolx

I was merely responding to the dispute over the forefit of ASU that gave GSU the 11-0 season.

And before someone goes off on me or the MEAC, there isn't a history of us [MEAC] bailing out of OOC games. Only Del. State did it and yes, A&T got their money from the fiasco.

Okay SWACKOS??? xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
December 29th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Double standards..... it how they were raised.
"it how they were raised."

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Good luck to Doug Williams, an FCS legend.

Panther88
December 29th, 2009, 03:24 PM
He felt that way long before GSU played you guys. It goes back to the days when he played ball and none of you (inparticular McNeese) would play in State HBCU's, neither would any of the other schools in your conference.

That ought to be clear enough for you to understand since you do know Louisiana history and certain past culture.

TRUTH ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. I tried to tell'em. xlolx That type "feeling" seems to be somewhat paramount amongst quite a few SWAC schools. It is... what it is. :D

SU Jag
December 29th, 2009, 04:50 PM
From what I'm hearing from "the bluff" the jon is pretty much Doug's to take or turn down.

TexasTerror
December 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Interview process is done. All candidates have been interviewed...

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/local-sports-news/southern-news/296213-southern-wraps-up-coach-interviews.html

McNeese75
December 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM

Sorry I grew up in Texas and am not a product of the so called "culture" you are referring to. I was never impressed with DW's coaching skills. Curiously, it appears his winning seasons at Grambling mirror the career of Bruce Eugene and then he hauled tail after the "Chuck and Duck" days were over.

McNeese75
December 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Nah. I think he doesn't like the SLC because of your history and how you people segregated yourselves, back in the day of course lol. xlolx I'm not his speaker but I seem to vividly recall it's something along those lines. I may be wrong so someone can correct me if I am.

Don't hate on the messenger, hate the message. xthumbsupxxreadx

kekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekeke xlolx

Interesting that the statement you are referring to came out after he took in on the chin for the second time by McNeese xlolx

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 29th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Sorry I grew up in Texas and am not a product of the so called "culture" you are referring to. I was never impressed with DW's coaching skills. Curiously, it appears his winning seasons at Grambling mirror the career of Bruce Eugene and then he hauled azz after the "Chuck and Duck" days were over.

I think you have Doug and Melvin Spears confused. Randy Hymes also won championships for Doug.

Panther88
December 29th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Interesting that the statement you are referring to came out after he took in on the chin for the second time by McNeese xlolx

Interesting that he more than naught had those views when he left college huh? xlolx Considering the racial climate during that era. :D

His views are more common than uncommon though. Has nothing to do w/ losing to any entity as your entities were terrified to play SWAC entities back in the day because your squads would've gotten steamrolled unmercifully. :D Truth is a mutha isn't it? :D

bluedog
December 29th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Sorry I grew up in Texas and am not a product of the so called "culture" you are referring to. I was never impressed with DW's coaching skills. Curiously, it appears his winning seasons at Grambling mirror the career of Bruce Eugene and then he hauled azz after the "Chuck and Duck" days were over.

Right the shoot um first ask question later, stop um because they're driving to fancy of a car or drag um at the back end of a truck until they're decapitated state.

Sure you have no idea of what I'm referring to. xcoffeex

blackcaesar3k5
December 30th, 2009, 01:47 AM
IF I recalled, Southern hired legendary Marino Casem from Alcorn State back in late 80's.. We all know Casem was very unsuccessful during his stint as head football coach at SAMU.. This is reason why I'm against Southern hiring Williams......

Darrell Asberry has done an excellent job since taking over as head football coach at SU.. Asberry had won back to back CIAA titles and will probably bring great offensive system and Perez Boluware to run the defense...

SU Jag
December 30th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I like asberry too! He pretty much brought shaw's program back to life. The fact that stump mitchell's name is still out there worries me a lil bit. When I see stump mitchell all I see is the bayou version of james bell.

813Jag
December 30th, 2009, 08:01 AM
IF I recalled, Southern hired legendary Marino Casem from Alcorn State back in late 80's.. We all know Casem was very unsuccessful during his stint as head football coach at SAMU.. This is reason why I'm against Southern hiring Williams......

Darrell Asberry has done an excellent job since taking over as head football coach at SU.. Asberry had won back to back CIAA titles and will probably bring great offensive system and Perez Boluware to run the defense...
Casem had two stints at Southern going 7-4 twice and 5-6 the second time which was the year before Pete took over. I didn't really know going 19-14 was unsuccessful. xconfusedx

McNeese75
January 5th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Interesting that he more than naught had those views when he left college huh? xlolx Considering the racial climate during that era. :D

His views are more common than uncommon though. Has nothing to do w/ losing to any entity as your entities were terrified to play SWAC entities back in the day because your squads would've gotten steamrolled unmercifully. :D Truth is a mutha isn't it? :D

You can say "Fug" from here to next year as the biased mods won't reprimand you. :Dxnonoxxoopsxxbowxxlolx

xlolx

McNeese75
January 5th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I think you have Doug and Melvin Spears confused. Randy Hymes also won championships for Doug.

Ummmmm, no. DW was coaching the G Men both years they played McNeese and Eugene was the QB.

lionsrking2
January 5th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Why can't we all just get along?!! HUH??!!

mikebigg
January 6th, 2010, 06:53 AM

I've been gone for a few days...is this word now acceptable? I need to know before I use it and get time out again. Thanks!!!!

mikebigg
January 6th, 2010, 06:55 AM

Fug the message.

Some body help me... has there been a rule change during my absence?

TSUalum05
January 6th, 2010, 07:50 AM

I'm not sure what you were banned for. Please let me know so I do not get banned. You maybe on parole and if you do not want the death penalty from AGS send me a PM.

813Jag
January 6th, 2010, 07:58 AM
no you can still get in "trouble" for certain words. xreadx

TSUalum05
January 6th, 2010, 08:17 AM
MB,

You have to pay the cost to be the boss. If you're a donor some maybe less inclined to slap your hand.

JROCK
January 6th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Why can't we all just get along?!! HUH??!!

You know, I never did like S.E. Louisiana. They are just too SLCish........ xlolx xlolx