PDA

View Full Version : O'Day on filling Montana position.

Tribe4SF
December 25th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Montana AD qouted on FootballScoop.com about finding the right guy.

Montana: AD Jim O’Day (on choosing a new coach): “My philosophy is the same that’s been here the whole time - you’d better know what you’re getting into at the University of Montana,” said O’Day. “It’s something I don’t think a lot of people are going to get.”

MplsBison
December 25th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Knowing what you're getting into: you'll be expected to go 11-0 every season and win the national championship. Getting to the NC game and losing means you "can't win the big one" and will be looked down upon by the fanbase.

Is that more or less it?

Ronbo
December 25th, 2009, 09:48 AM
No you need to hear the entire interview. He said they better know what they are getting into. He wants a Coach that recruits Montana boys and he wants someone with a knowledge of recruiting the Pacific Northwest. He says nothing about the fans, although continuing the winning tradition will be expected.

Demanding fans are a by-product of any successful program. Only a few percent find the season a failure if we didn't win the NC. Under 5%.

Here is the interview. Go about 1/3 down the page to "Videos".
http://missoulian.com/

maroon
December 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM
No you need to hear the entire interview. He said they better know what they are getting into. He wants a Coach that recruits Montana boys and he wants someone with a knowledge of recruiting the Pacific Northwest. He says nothing about the fans, although continuing the winning tradition will be expected.

Demanding fans are a by-product of any successful program. Only a few percent find the season a failure if we didn't win the NC. Under 5%.

Here is the interview. Go about 1/3 down the page to "Videos".
http://missoulian.com/

The 5% can be found on eGriz.

Grizalltheway
December 25th, 2009, 01:55 PM
The 5% can be found on eGriz.

Yep, and they're most likely people who jumped on the bandwagon after '95, and didn't even attend the university (alpha cough cough).

GOKATS
December 25th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Yep, and they're most likely people who jumped on the bandwagon after '95, and didn't even attend the university (alpha cough cough).

I think that number is closer to 75% than 5%..................xnodx;)

I know, smack is-------------------------->xoopsx

100%GRIZ
December 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=GOKATS;1503738]I think that number is closer to 75% than 5%..................xnodx;)

If not more than 75%!!! Our GOALS are definately higher than most!!! From the AD to the fan base!!! How do you think we got to where we are!!! I think beating the Bobcats was Bobby's main goal!!! I think he realized it wasn't gonna cut the mustard any longer!!! Watch out for the GRIZ in the near future folks!!! Here we come!!!!

Proud Griz Man
December 25th, 2009, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=GOKATS;1503738]I think that number is closer to 75% than 5%..................xnodx;)

If not more than 75%!!! Our GOALS are definately higher than most!!! From the AD to the fan base!!! How do you think we got to where we are!!! I think beating the Bobcats was Bobby's main goal!!! I think he realized it wasn't gonna cut the mustard any longer!!! Watch out for the GRIZ in the near future folks!!! Here we come!!!!

Bobby was a really great UM coach and most fans don't realize how goooooooooood they had it. xbowx

WyomingGrizFan
December 25th, 2009, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=100%GRIZ;1503758]

Bobby was a really great UM coach and most fans don't realize how goooooooooood they had it. xbowx

Yeah, but if any rancor exists it seems to be that from the first year when OC Rob Phenicie was quoted as saying that his offensive strategy was not normally, if ever, going to throw to TEs and RBs. I mean, how can anyone be so crass? There's only two types of plays on offense: running and passing. Duh.

Well, O.K., I take that back, there's a third that the Bob'Kats have used quite a lot over the past twenty years or so, at least in the majority of instances: lie down and belly up.

Then comes along the last couple years and TEs and RBs are catching passes. Is that suppose to say there was a slight minor change in offensive philosophy here? The inconsistency may have been noticed by those that have been around a little bit longer than the last couple seasons and the subtle implications left a residue somewhere; hence the perceived demand of getting to the NC every year; which helps to overlook progressions/regressions of sorts from observing over a seven year period. Like Alpha lying in wait under some rock somewhere.

Besides which, Hauck's first couple years I thought were tainted by the occurence that if the Griz had a successful play for a TD, then that would be the last time you'd ever, ever see that play again. Fear of being outsmarted/scouted led to a limited improvisation on the part of the Griz coaching staff at times; expanded to the Special Teams and some of the plays they had, along with the fake FG Attempts and fake Punts, etc. Outside of the ever popular starting the RB carrying the ball from twenty yards behind the line of scrimmage routine. There has been a deversification of offensive play calling evolved over the years; success may have bred that, or sheer panic from coming from behind so many times. You don't ever want to lose a game here, folks; they'll string you up in a hurry type attitude perceived the first couple years until Hauck won enough games to be able to settle down and say;.."quess what?...I think we ought to pass to TEs and RBs every now and then." "Who would have thought that would work as well?"

One question: Is Rob Phenicie going to UNLV with Hauck? He had one good year at NAU and I guess that was supposed to have annointed him. If Phenicie does so, I don't think there's a shortage of viable applicants that could win @ UM with a typical offense that everybody else across the nation runs. This isn't rocket science folks. In that regard I can respect Hauck for what he did; and maybe Hauck for swinging Phenicie in the right direction as well. The Goal Line is that way, Dude!!! Now about those option offenses and how to gauge a defense in preparation for them. That would be a step in the right direction as well.

CopperCat
December 27th, 2009, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=100%GRIZ;1503758]

Many griz fans don't realize how good ANYTHING is over there. I hear complaints about the AD and school administration from time to time, yet I see O'Day at more games in a single season than I have EVER seen Peter Fields or Geoff Gamble attend IN THEIR ENTIRE TIME AT MSU. UM asks for a stadium improvement, they get it done in one year. MSU takes 15+ years in between their improvements. UM consistently gets the better Montana recruits, etc.

Bottom line: there is absolutely NO ROOM for UM fans to complain about ANYTHING as of right now. Yes, your coach left. Big deal. The last time that happened you STILL won the BSC crown and you STILL went to the playoffs. Imagine if a team like UNC or Slack State managed to win 7 games in a season. They would think they were the best team west of the Mississippi. A little perspective for those who may think they have been slighted (nobody has openly said that yet, I just like to keep things real around here).xtwocentsx

nms1987
December 28th, 2009, 01:48 AM
If not more than 75%!!! Our GOALS are definately higher than most!!!

Such as our GOALS to fully utilize the shift key by not only capitalizing RANDOM words but also our goal to make the most of the exclamation marks three times after every sentence!!! Also our GOALS to make the most stupid, inane Youtube comment-esque posts!!!!!!

From the AD to the fan base!!! How do you think we got to where we are!!!

By avoiding all other punctuation marks besides the triple exclamation mark!!! You are so dedicated to it that you will even avoid the question mark when asking a question!!! Why would you do that !!!

I think beating the Bobcats was Bobby's main goal!!! I think he realized it wasn't gonna cut the mustard any longer!!!

I agree!!! I can make silly statements about people's motivations without any kind of evidence or support whatsoever!!!! What kind of a coach would lead his team to back-to-back national title games!!! What a bum!!! What kind of a program could tolerate such failure!!! I'm sure a fat pay raise to coach a bigger school and the prospect of jumping to a BCS school and their million dollar salaries had no affect on Hauck's choice to leave Montana!!!

Watch out for the GRIZ in the near future folks!!! Here we come!!!!

Yes!!! Watch OUT here we come!!! Because no one would be on the lookout for a team that just finished second in the nation in back-to-back years, has won 2 national titles in the last 15 years, been to the championship game 6 times and been the playoffs a record 17 consecutive times!!!! Who would think a program like this could compete at the I-AA/FCS level!!! How unlikely!!! No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!

Silenoz
December 28th, 2009, 08:34 AM
7 times*

vettert49
December 28th, 2009, 10:06 AM

So everyone who is a Grizzly fan that didn't attend UM is "bandwagon"? xconfusedx

Casey_Orourke
December 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM
But will Griz fans expect anything less than the Big Sky Championship and a trip to the NC?

Hypothetical question..... A new coach comes in with a coaching philosophy that is completely different than what the team was built around (ala Jerry Glannville @ PSU) and the team ends up taking a nosedive and has a losing season? Would Griz fans be any less forgiving and demand the coaches removal?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 28th, 2009, 11:23 AM
But will Griz fans expect anything less than the Big Sky Championship and a trip to the NC?

Hypothetical question..... A new coach comes in with a coaching philosophy that is completely different than what the team was built around (ala Jerry Glannville @ PSU) and the team ends up taking a nosedive and has a losing season? Would Griz fans be any less forgiving and demand the coaches removal?

I think any coach coming in would be stupid to make a drastic change like that. Glannville wanted to make a change because they weren't winning, the Griz are winning. No need to make drastic changes in my mind. If a coach wants to make a change, I think they will have to phase it in over time. They have the pieces in place to compete and do well next year IMHO. xpeacex

Casey_Orourke
December 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I think any coach coming in would be stupid to make a drastic change like that. Glannville wanted to make a change because they weren't winning, the Griz are winning. No need to make drastic changes in my mind. If a coach wants to make a change, I think they will have to phase it in over time. They have the pieces in place to compete and do well next year IMHO. xpeacex

PSU under Walsh had a winning program, but Walsh just couldn't get to that next level that the Griz enjoyed. then he bailed for the OC position ay Army and Jerry moved in and started his masive overhaul, if he moved slower he might had greater success

sharkeycox
December 29th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Montana has had a winning tradition for years. They will not tolerate a bad coach dragging the tradition down the toilet.

Methinks they will be just fine.xthumbsupx

JALMOND
December 29th, 2009, 04:51 PM
PSU under Walsh had a winning program, but Walsh just couldn't get to that next level that the Griz enjoyed. then he bailed for the OC position ay Army and Jerry moved in and started his masive overhaul, if he moved slower he might had greater success

Glanville's problems were mainly on defense as he thought it was still the 80's and he was still in the NFL. The offensive problems were due to Davis who was still locked in the '70s at PSU.

There was enough talent returning on both sides for PSU to continue what Walsh had created. All Glanville and Davis needed was to generate some needed PR. A total overhaul was not needed, but that was what they did.

I still believe that Walsh leaving was due to the frustration of not being selected for the playoffs in 2006. I believe (my opinion only) that was the best PSU team since we've been in 1-AA/FCS.