PDA

View Full Version : Strength of Schedule base on NC Games

BigSkyGriz
December 23rd, 2009, 11:28 AM
I’m not sure there is a correlation between the strength of a conference and how often and how well the conference appears in the National Championship game. But, let’s just assume there is a relationship. People on these boards post all the time that the CAA is the toughest conference and their teams get to the NC by being tested, while the rest of us skate along. Let’s see if that is true.

For the sake of this post, I have placed the schools in the conference they are currently in if their conference no longer exists. Also, for those that are no longer in FCS I placed them in the conference they were in at the time.

There have been 32 National Championship games. Only twice have both teams been from the same conference. Both of those times it was the Southern Conference.

Appearances in the NC are as follows:

Southern 21
Big Sky 12
CAA 9
Mis Valley 9
Southland 6
Ohio Valley 4
Patriot 2
MEAC 1

So, if we measure strength based on making it to the NC game, then the Southern conference has historically been the toughest conference. Second is the Big Sky, and tied for 3rd and 4th is the mighty CAA and the Missouri Valley.

Maybe the toughest conference would be the conference that won the most NCs:

Southern 12 38%
Mis Valley 6 19%
Big Sky 5 16%
CAA 5 16%
Ohio Valley 2 6%
MEAC 1 3%
Southland 1 3%
Patriot 0 0%

So, if we measure strength based on winning the NC game, then again the Southern conference has historically been the toughest conference. Second is the Missouri Valley, and tied for 3rd and 4th is the mighty CAA and the Big Sky.

But, maybe Southern made it that many times because they had an easy bracket and, if you make it 21 times, it’s easy to rack up the numbers even if you just get lucky. So, maybe the real measurement of strength is do you win when you get there? After all if you had an easy conference and an easy bracket you couldn’t possibly win when you face the real tested teams:

MEAC 100%
Missouri Valley 67%
Southern 57%
CAA 56%
Ohio Valley 50%
Big Sky 42%
Southland 17%
Patriot 0%

So, if we measure strength as winning it when you get there, then again the MEAC conference would be the toughest conference – but, since they only made it once – and that being the first year, lets ignore them (sorry MEAC). That means the Missouri Valley Conference is the biggest and best, with Southern being 2nd and the mighty CAA being 3rd. (Full disclosure, here, as a Montana fan, I don’t want to use this measurement because we don’t fare so well, though it is the only measure so far where we don’t beat or tie the mighty CAA).

So, one other measurement I can think of is how do the different conferences do when they face each other for the NC? This can get complicated for a fan board post, so, let’s cut to the chase – really, how does every other conference measure up to the mighty CAA:

CAA vs Big Sky 3-0
CAA vs Patriot 1-0
CAA vs Southern 1-2
CAA vs MEAC 0-1
CAA vs Ohio Valley 0-1

As I mentioned above, I’m a Montana fan, so for obvious reasons I don’t like this one. But, others might, so I’m throwing it out there. But, you CAA supermen, if you take this as proof that you are inherently stronger than the Big Sky Conference, then you have to accept that Southern, MEAC, and Ohio Valley are all stronger than you.

Anyway, as I said, not sure this shows anything – my mind just thinks this way – I parse things up until nothing makes sense – or everything makes sense!

Of course, if you want to look at just the last decade, the results would be different...

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
You could have saved yourself all that time for your first post - I don't know of anyone who would argue that the CAA is the strongest conference, of all time. Anyone touting the CAA's strength is only talking about the last 10 years or so, and even more specifically, from about 2003 and on to the present. Everyone knows the CAA/A-10/Yankee was not anywhere near as strong nationally back in the early 90's and certainly the '80s as they are now. That's not news to anyone.

Maybe redo your numbers for just this decade and you'll see what CAA backers are talking about. xthumbsupx

BigSkyGriz
December 23rd, 2009, 11:35 AM
hey, times all I got right now.....

UNH Fanboi
December 23rd, 2009, 11:42 AM
The CAA is currently the strongest conference in terms of depth, and for the past several years has produced about 3 teams per year that are championship caliber. CAA fans have always admitted (the reasonable ones at least) that the best team from each of the other power conferences are on par with and capable of beating the CAA's top 3.

Historically, the SoCon is hands down the best conference, but that has no relevance to which conference is the strongest today. The landscape of 1AA/FCS has changed dramatically, and will continue to change. Programs and conferences can rise and fall very quickly, so it won't surprise me if another conference supplants the CAA in 5 years. Though the CAA does have the advantage of being in a very high population area, so they should be in a good position to maintain their success. The biggest threat to the CAA is probably organizational shakeup, teams moving to FBS, etc.

UNHWildCats
December 23rd, 2009, 12:26 PM
Using data from 20 years ago is ridiculous. 20 years ago the Patriots and Colts were pathetic, very few though would argue against them being labeled among the best 3 teams now.

But hey since we want to reach so far back lets look at this stat. In the history of the I-AA/FCS playoffs 13 different current or former CAA/A-10/Yankee members* have made the playoffs, 10 of them have made the playoffs atleast 5 times.

For the SoCon they have had 10 current or former members* make the playoffs, only 4 of them have made it atleast 5 times.

The CAA is a deep conference, the SoCon is top heavy.

*may include playoff births while schools were part of other conferences.

DSUrocks07
December 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM
I’m not sure there is a correlation between the strength of a conference and how often and how well the conference appears in the National Championship game. But, let’s just assume there is a relationship. People on these boards post all the time that the CAA is the toughest conference and their teams get to the NC by being tested, while the rest of us skate along. Let’s see if that is true.

For the sake of this post, I have placed the schools in the conference they are currently in if their conference no longer exists. Also, for those that are no longer in FCS I placed them in the conference they were in at the time.

There have been 32 National Championship games. Only twice have both teams been from the same conference. Both of those times it was the Southern Conference.

Appearances in the NC are as follows:

Southern 21
Big Sky 12
CAA 9
Mis Valley 9
Southland 6
Ohio Valley 4
Patriot 2
MEAC 1

So, if we measure strength based on making it to the NC game, then the Southern conference has historically been the toughest conference. Second is the Big Sky, and tied for 3rd and 4th is the mighty CAA and the Missouri Valley.

Maybe the toughest conference would be the conference that won the most NCs:

Southern 12 38%
Mis Valley 6 19%
Big Sky 5 16%
CAA 5 16%
Ohio Valley 2 6%
MEAC 1 3%
Southland 1 3%
Patriot 0 0%

So, if we measure strength based on winning the NC game, then again the Southern conference has historically been the toughest conference. Second is the Missouri Valley, and tied for 3rd and 4th is the mighty CAA and the Big Sky.

But, maybe Southern made it that many times because they had an easy bracket and, if you make it 21 times, it’s easy to rack up the numbers even if you just get lucky. So, maybe the real measurement of strength is do you win when you get there? After all if you had an easy conference and an easy bracket you couldn’t possibly win when you face the real tested teams:

MEAC 100%
Missouri Valley 67%
Southern 57%
CAA 56%
Ohio Valley 50%
Big Sky 42%
Southland 17%
Patriot 0%

So, if we measure strength as winning it when you get there, then again the MEAC conference would be the toughest conference – but, since they only made it once – and that being the first year, lets ignore them (sorry MEAC). That means the Missouri Valley Conference is the biggest and best, with Southern being 2nd and the mighty CAA being 3rd. (Full disclosure, here, as a Montana fan, I don’t want to use this measurement because we don’t fare so well, though it is the only measure so far where we don’t beat or tie the mighty CAA).

So, one other measurement I can think of is how do the different conferences do when they face each other for the NC? This can get complicated for a fan board post, so, let’s cut to the chase – really, how does every other conference measure up to the mighty CAA:

CAA vs Big Sky 3-0
CAA vs Patriot 1-0
CAA vs Southern 1-2
CAA vs MEAC 0-1
CAA vs Ohio Valley 0-1

As I mentioned above, I’m a Montana fan, so for obvious reasons I don’t like this one. But, others might, so I’m throwing it out there. But, you CAA supermen, if you take this as proof that you are inherently stronger than the Big Sky Conference, then you have to accept that Southern, MEAC, and Ohio Valley are all stronger than you.

Anyway, as I said, not sure this shows anything – my mind just thinks this way – I parse things up until nothing makes sense – or everything makes sense!

Of course, if you want to look at just the last decade, the results would be different...

what else is new? xlolxxlolxxlolx

Grizzaholic
December 23rd, 2009, 12:48 PM
I’m not sure there is a correlation between the strength of a conference and how often and how well the conference appears in the National Championship game. But, let’s just assume there is a relationship. People on these boards post all the time that the CAA is the toughest conference ...

You are new here. Just to help you fit in here say...

All Hail the CAA. They are the best at everything. Do not question their fan's statements. What they say goes. Period. If you ever say a bad word, even in jest, against the CAA, its teams, fans, players, coaches, stadiums, etc... you will be branded, tar'd and feather'd, and left for dead in a desert.

UNHWildCats
December 23rd, 2009, 01:08 PM

All Hail the CAA. They are the best at everything. Do not question their fan's statements. What they say goes. Period. If you ever say a bad word, even in jest, against the CAA, its teams, fans, players, coaches, stadiums, etc... you will be branded, tar'd and feather'd, and left for dead in a desert.
Sounds about right, but you forgot that the wolves will feed off him once he's left for dead.

JMUNJ08
December 23rd, 2009, 01:10 PM

xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

Not really. We are constantly attacked as well from non-CAA posters. Just showing some facts in our favor as well. The past 6-8 years have been good for the CAA, if this board was around in the 80's and 90's I could only imagine how tired and cranky people would have gotten with GoSo, Y St., Marshall & old Big Sky conference teams....xwhistlex

srgrizizen
December 23rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Not even Fox News could spin an argument that the CAA is not the strongest conference as of the last few years. xcoolx

Grizzaholic
December 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
Not even Fox News could spin an argument that the CAA is not the strongest conference as of the last few years. xcoolx

How dare you ever say bad words about the CAA. That is it. I am reporting you to 89Hen and his league of minions to harp on you at every post to proclaim how great the CAA was, is, and will be in the future.

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
How dare you ever say bad words about the CAA. That is it. I am reporting you to 89Hen and his league of minions to harp on you at every post to proclaim how great the CAA was, is, and will be in the future.

Come on, man, fess up, you can't find a single CAA/A-10/Yankee poster who actually thinks the conference was nationally strong in the '80's or early 90's. There's plenty of over the top assessments by league backers in the time since then, but no one is making an argument for anything before then. xnonox

Grizzaholic
December 23rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
Come on, man, fess up, you can't find a single CAA/A-10/Yankee poster who actually thinks the conference was nationally strong in the '80's or early 90's. There's plenty of over the top assessments by league backers in the time since then, but no one is making an argument for anything before then. xnonox

xnonox Not good to bad talk the almighty CAA xnonox

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
xnonox Not good to bad talk the almighty CAA xnonox

Well, I guess if you want to play it that way, the CAA has only existed, as that name as a football conference, since what, 2006? Then yes, it would be naive not to acknowledge it's dominance since then. Thanks. xthumbsupx

Grizzaholic
December 23rd, 2009, 01:51 PM
A mish mash of randomally selected players from all current CAA teams could beat a team made up of Ditka, GOD, Jesus, Buddah, Mohammad, and Chuck Norris. Just sayin', the CAA is the best.

I suggest the CAA disband and distribute one team to each of the remaining conferences. That way it will always be an all CAA playoff and they wouldn't have to ever have losses in the regular season. Just a thought.

JMUNJ08
December 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
A mish mash of randomally selected players from all current CAA teams could beat a team made up of Ditka, GOD, Jesus, Buddah, Mohammad, and Chuck Norris. Just sayin', the CAA is the best.

I suggest the CAA disband and distribute one team to each of the remaining conferences. That way it will always be an all CAA playoff and they wouldn't have to ever have losses in the regular season. Just a thought.

URI - Ivy (forced to have a bid due to CAA member)
Towson - PFL (given a bid due to CAA member)
Maine - OVC
UNH - MVFC
UD - SLC
UMASS - NEC
JMU - SWAC
W&M - BSC
UR - MEAC
Nova - Patriot

A bunch of undefeated conference champs???? xlolxxlolx
xbeerchugxxbeerchugxxpopcornxxpopcornxxbandwagonx

Grizzaholic
December 23rd, 2009, 03:36 PM
URI - Ivy (forced to have a bid due to CAA member)
Towson - PFL (given a bid due to CAA member)
Maine - OVC
UNH - MVFC
UD - SLC
UMASS - NEC
JMU - SWAC
W&M - BSC
UR - MEAC
Nova - Patriot

I love the idea. As long as each team has the two greatest letters in the English language after their names once they move to their respected conferences, " CAA ". That way every man,woman, and child would know all about who and what started it all.

The almighty CAA! I xbowx in the immense shadow that they collectively cast.

UNHFootballAlum
December 23rd, 2009, 03:55 PM

You are putting Ditka in this group?

Grizzaholic
December 23rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
You are putting Ditka in this group?

No. I would think Ditka would be on the VS part of CAA-vs-________.

UNHWildCats
December 23rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
URI - IvyCAA (forced to have a bid due to CAA member)
Towson - PCAA (given a bid due to CAA member)
Maine - OCAA
UNH - MVCAA
UD - SCAA
UMASS - NCAA xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx
JMU - SWCAA
W&M - BCAA
UR - MECAA
Nova - PatCAA

fixed the new conferencef names

89Hen
December 26th, 2009, 04:54 PM
You could have saved yourself all that time for your first post - I don't know of anyone who would argue that the CAA is the strongest conference, of all time. Anyone touting the CAA's strength is only talking about the last 10 years or so, and even more specifically, from about 2003 and on to the present. Everyone knows the CAA/A-10/Yankee was not anywhere near as strong nationally back in the early 90's and certainly the '80s as they are now. That's not news to anyone.

Maybe redo your numbers for just this decade and you'll see what CAA backers are talking about. xthumbsupx
xnodx GF with the reality check.

WyomingGrizFan
December 26th, 2009, 04:58 PM
We could also have conferences compile an all-star team of all conference members respectively at the end of the season, then have that team play a game with the top CAA team that year and have it played on Midway, Guam or Samoa somewhere, maybe New Zealand. Just a thought. I don't think Hawaii would be a good place; we may not get them back again!!!

Keenan
December 26th, 2009, 05:38 PM
CAA is tops with no argument from me! xnodx