PDA

View Full Version : Sorry about Hauck!!

Rekdiver
December 23rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
A source has confirmed that 45-year-old Bobby Hauck, who coached seven seasons at Montana, will soon be introduced as UNLV’s new head football coach.

I am sorry to hear that. I thought he did a great job with the Griz. How lucky have we been to find a coach that appreciates where he is and sometimes its not all about the $. Not criticizing any coach with bigger ambitions but I really mean we are lucky!

putter
December 23rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
Can't fault him for looking to move up. I think he did better than a lot of people thought having never been a head coach. Loved his passion for Griz football and I hope his replacement will have that same passion and success.

ngineer
December 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Not surprising for him to move up after what he accomplished...although, I guess there are some Griz fans that would disagree with that observation.xrolleyesx

hoseman
December 23rd, 2009, 06:25 PM
It's the Montana fans fault. He wouldn't be moving if he had remembered his hat for the App State game...out there in the blizzard with no hat...I could read his mind during that game "I got to get outta here and move further south.... why won't a fan at least loan me a frecking extra hat...they don't appreciate me after all".

Great coach leaving but they will soon find another one.

Grizzaholic
December 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
It's the Montana fans fault. He wouldn't be moving if he had remembered his hat for the App State game...out there in the blizzard with no hat...I could read his mind during that game "I got to get outta here and move further south.... why won't a fan at least loan me a frecking extra hat...they don't appreciate me after all".

Great coach leaving but they will soon find another one.

If for one minute you think he left because of some fans....geeesh.

griz8791
December 23rd, 2009, 06:58 PM
Whoa, Grizzaholic, time to fine-tune the sarcasm detector.

TokyoGriz
December 24th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the sentiment!

But dont fear change. Montana will attract and recruit a quality coach and continue attracting top level atheletes for FCS level.

All of FCS programs are in for some serious changes in the next couple years. After the moritorium is up and they actually decide what to do with the FBS FCS issues.

Everyone better fasten your seat belts. If you fear change too much you might crash!

Poker Alan
December 24th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Just like London did, coaches will move for "better" opportunities... the problem here (IMO) is that Hauck is going into a no-win situation, UNLV doesn't do a good job with their football program in regards to keeping up with other facilities, community support, etc. I am going to guess that just like the last two coaches here that moved on, he will be out of that job within 3 seasons.

Proud Griz Man
December 24th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Just like London did, coaches will move for "better" opportunities... the problem here (IMO) is that Hauck is going into a no-win situation, UNLV doesn't do a good job with their football program in regards to keeping up with other facilities, community support, etc. I am going to guess that just like the last two coaches here that moved on, he will be out of that job within 3 seasons.

I wish Bobby and Stacey the best. I was shocked by UNLV.

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/rebels-football-finally-catches-glimpse-of-hope-80049257.html

Do you know what hope looks like?

It is a few hundred people crowded in a board room days from Christmas with smiles wider than a child awaking to discover what Santa Claus left.

It is a group of faithful college football fans hanging on every word and nodding with every vision offered by their new head coach.

Bobby Hauck is their hope today.

Hope that things will be different, that theirs no longer will be a losing program in a city mostly uninterested by its existence, that at a basketball school, football finally will own a legitimate place in the minds of those who follow UNLV athletics.

"We are starving for a winner," said Steve Stallworth, a former Rebels quarterback and now South Point Arena's general manager. "You look in (Hauck's) eyes, and he's a football coach -- a down-and-dirty, tough, strong, attitude, energetic, passionate football coach. If he were a basketball player, we'd call him a gym rat.

"Right now, we're all undefeated. But I really believe he is going to take the kids we have and get a little something more out of them and then bring in kids with a little edge and attitude who are really going to compete."
Attitude. It was a word mentioned often by many before and after Hauck was introduced as the man who would replace Mike Sanford. It also is a quality UNLV's program has lacked for years.

Jeff Horton was a nice man. So was John Robinson. So was Sanford. But teams have a way of reflecting their coach's personality, and you can make an argument that nine straight nonwinning seasons has had something to do with UNLV needing more of that edge Stallworth mentions.

Hauck has it, and given I might need to see an orthopedist after shaking the guy's hand Wednesday, my guess is his UNLV teams also will. His teams at Montana, which went 80-17 and reached three national championship games in seven seasons under Hauck, had it.

You have to know where the line is as a coach. How far you can push young men before what is meant as motivation to extract from them a maximum effort becomes a negative reaction. How hard you can drive them before they go from playing their guts out for you to not playing at all for you. UNLV players weren't pushed hard enough during the week in recent years, and it showed on Saturday. Hauck will push them plenty. It's football, for heaven's sake.

"When you have core values in your program -- mental and physical toughness, work ethic, attention to detail, character in the locker room and on the team -- then the wins will come," Hauck said. "Being seen as (the hope of many) is a good thing, and as far as it involves UNLV football, that falls on my shoulders now. People here are anxious for us to get to work and build a team. They are just waiting for a reason to be excited."

Big Al
December 24th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I think it will be very interesting to see how this all shakes out -- Montana has proven over the years that coaches who go there will be successful and coaches who leave there aren't.

Can Bobby Hauck prove that the Griz's recent success is due to his coaching and not the strength of Montana's program? That's the real question surrounding all of this, imho.

100%GRIZ
December 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I think it will be very interesting to see how this all shakes out -- Montana has proven over the years that coaches who go there will be successful and coaches who leave there aren't.

Can Bobby Hauck prove that the Griz's recent success is due to his coaching and not the strength of Montana's program? That's the real question surrounding all of this, imho.

Dead on Big Al, We will see what Bobby is made of at UNLV!!! For some reason I think Bobby will be the exception!!! Guess we will see!!!

GrizzlyBill
December 24th, 2009, 01:17 PM

Exactly. And, IMO he has a better shot at success than the last two who moved "up" from the Griz, because I think his success here was the result of football intelligence and a strong innate ability to coach. He knows how to motivate players; his teams seemed really up for every game. I think he learned a lot here that he will take with him to make him even smarter at the job.

I personally liked his style of coaching (for the most part). Games were never boring. I admit that I was hoping he would see Montana as a place to stay for a career, but hey, it's exciting to see what's next. Hopefully, it's like with QB, we just reload!

ASU_Fanatic
December 24th, 2009, 01:20 PM
He shoulda held out for a BCS job like Tressel did.

GrizzlyBill
December 24th, 2009, 01:28 PM

I think he heard the clock ticking. He is 45. Time to do it, if he had the aspirations.

appstate38
December 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
The Griz are losing a great one..... Makes me worry about that day when Coach Moore decides to hang it up. Here's hoping you guys find a solid coach to continue/elevate your program.

WyomingGrizFan
December 26th, 2009, 04:35 PM

Yeah, but that Tressel was/is one hell of a strategist. When he came in with Youngstown St. against the Griz in the 1999 FCS Playoffs he outsmarted just about everyone in the stadium that day, including the announcers.

The particular instance I refer to was when the Griz were in possession near the YSU goal-line with time running out near the end of the game and needing a FG to at least tie and send the game into overtime. Youngstown had three timeouts left and proceeded to call two of them; everyone was seemingly expecting Tressel to go ahead and do the natural thing and call their last remaining timeout, so as to 'freeze' the kicker as they say. Well, he didn't; the Griz could have easily have taken a delay of game and have the ball moved back five yards due to penalty; getting the better field position where it wasn't so muddy, etc. The ball was snapped out of desperation, play clock winding down, with the holder and kicker taken off guard resulting in the kicker sliding and losing his footing on his attempt in the muddiest portion of the field. The FG attempt was no good because everyone in the stadium, the team and the Griz coaching staff 'expected' Tressel to call that third timeout, apparently. The Griz acted like they weren't prepared to actually have to try to kick a FG with only two timeouts already called in the last couple seconds remaining. Tressel outsmarted everyone in the stadium on that psychological ploy; except, maybe, his own team. The Griz players seemed to be just standing around waiting for that third timeout to be called and were caught off guard when it wasn't. Subsequently Youngstown St. went on to play another game. Tressel really earned a lot of respect that day. The Griz coulda, shoulda taken the delay of game penalty, foreseeing what a muddy situation they were in, and attempt a FG from a position not that much further away on turf instead of mud.
Excellent prescience on the part of Tressel. No wonder he coached a national championship team at both levels, FCS & BCS.

CopperCat
December 27th, 2009, 12:22 AM
The Griz are losing a great one..... Makes me worry about that day when Coach Moore decides to hang it up. Here's hoping you guys find a solid coach to continue/elevate your program.

Joe Glenn was better at UM, at least I think so. He won a championship while he was there, and he ran "the streak" up too. Bobby never won the big one, and he lost to MSU two of his first three years at UM. Don't want to dispute the fact that his record is great because it is, but Glenn was a damn fine coach as well.

grizband
December 27th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Bobby Hauck was a better recruiter than Glenn; in fact, I believe Hauck might be the best recruiter in the history of Griz football. I cannot think of any teams with more athletic talent that our teams over the past few years. Others may have accomplished more, or received better coaching, but in terms of sheer talent, Hauck stands out.