PDA

View Full Version : Liberty 2010 schedule released

jcmanson
December 23rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/sports/college/liberty/article/flames_face_all-di_football_schedule_in_10/22603/

September
4--St. Francis (PA)
11--at Ball State
18--at Robert Morris
25--at James Madison

October
2--Savannah State
9--Charleston Southern
16--at VMI
30--at Presby

November
6--Gardner-Webb
13--at Coastal
20--Stony Brook

kdinva
December 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
You have a fine chance of being 3-0 when you travel to Harrisonburg.........I wonder if RMU has plans to expand their 3,300 seat facility?

TexasTerror
December 23rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Liberty is not interested in making a commitment to doing much than bolstering their W-L record.

The OOC is laughable and I guess the addition of a Big South AQ and four more teams to the playoffs will be what keeps them in. With this schedule, a 9-2 record would have been bubble bursted this year.

aceinthehole
December 23rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Great to see the NEC-Big South matchups, I really like the trip to Moon Township!

ToTheLeft
December 23rd, 2009, 09:06 AM
Liberty is not interested in making a commitment to doing much than bolstering their W-L record.

The OOC is laughable and I guess the addition of a Big South AQ and four more teams to the playoffs will be what keeps them in. With this schedule, a 9-2 record would have been bubble bursted this year.

Who is going to schedule us? I mean really. I'm sure a lot of teams will give us guarantees, but we want home and homes. We're a top 25 team, not an easy "W" for you to bring in, give a check to, and send home.

We're in a position right now where we're not good enough for people to want to lose to, but we're too good for them to want to risk coming to Lynchburg and maybe getting that L. Teams like Furman, UMass, Elon (who learned this first hand) know that beating LU benefits them little, but losing hurts them much! Until we become a team that, if you lose to, is simply a bump in the road to the playoffs, rather than a potential playoff bubble buster, we won't get many good games. And we're prepared to start earning that respect with games against FBS schools, JMU, and potenial playoff games.

ToTheLeft
December 23rd, 2009, 09:07 AM
Great to see the NEC-Big South matchups, I really like the trip to Moon Township!

And at this point, our conferences are on the same level. Will be a good measuring stick, although I wish LU could be playing Albany and CCSU instead, and maybe have G-W play RMU and Presby play St. Francis

bodoyle
December 23rd, 2009, 09:17 AM
September
4--St. Francis (PA)
11--at Ball State
18--at Robert Morris
25--at James Madison

October
2--Savannah State
9--Charleston Southern
16--at VMI
30--at Presby

November
6--Gardner-Webb
13--at Coastal
20--Stony Brook

wOoHoO. My birthday! I'll be there!

WrenFGun
December 23rd, 2009, 09:21 AM
Who is going to schedule us? I mean really. I'm sure a lot of teams will give us guarantees, but we want home and homes. We're a top 25 team, not an easy "W" for you to bring in, give a check to, and send home.

We're in a position right now where we're not good enough for people to want to lose to, but we're too good for them to want to risk coming to Lynchburg and maybe getting that L. Teams like Furman, UMass, Elon (who learned this first hand) know that beating LU benefits them little, but losing hurts them much! Until we become a team that, if you lose to, is simply a bump in the road to the playoffs, rather than a potential playoff bubble buster, we won't get many good games. And we're prepared to start earning that respect with games against FBS schools, JMU, and potenial playoff games.

I understand this, but there have to be some teams that will take Liberty on the road. For example, I have to imagine UNI would have been just as comfortable scheduling Liberty as they were scheduling Stephen F. Austin. Liberty will have to have a win over either JMU or Ball State to be in at-large discussion if they don't win the big south. One of SF (PA) or RMU would be fine...both is a bit much. It's too bad they couldn't get one of the better NEC Teams (Albany, CCSU) even if they had to go on the road for one of those.

TexasTerror
December 23rd, 2009, 09:23 AM

You guys are on the East Coast. It should not be hard to schedule compared to those schools in the SLC, who have been able to get very attractive home-and-homes with FCS teams who have to fly just to get to them.

And on top of that, it's very dangerous for those northern squads (see Montana, Northeastern, Duquesne) who have ventured this way before to play in the heat that is August/September in this area.

Can not give me that 'top 25' excuse, because at the end of the day, it is dollars and cents that drive things. And quite frankly - playing at a SLC facility against a SLC foe is much tougher than playing Liberty from the Big South...

catamount man
December 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
Good looking schedule. Beat Ball State! xthumbsupx

jcmanson
December 23rd, 2009, 09:41 AM
You guys are on the East Coast. It should not be hard to schedule compared to those schools in the SLC, who have been able to get very attractive home-and-homes with FCS teams who have to fly just to get to them.

And on top of that, it's very dangerous for those northern squads (see Montana, Northeastern, Duquesne) who have ventured this way before to play in the heat that is August/September in this area.

Can not give me that 'top 25' excuse, because at the end of the day, it is dollars and cents that drive things. And quite frankly - playing at a SLC facility against a SLC foe is much tougher than playing Liberty from the Big South...

Agreed. I just don't understand why we couldn't get someone (we're talking 1 more team) from the SOCON or CAA. Towson, WCU, ODU, someone.

Dukie95
December 23rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
I don't think that's a bad OOC schedule at all. A I-A and a CAA on the road is pretty good. They should be the underdogs in each.

This is a year when Liberty doesn't need a fantastic OOC schedule, because they'll need to win their conference to make it anyway...I can't imagine what kind of scenario would have to unfold for a second BSC team to make it, even with the expanded playoffs.

ToTheLeft
December 23rd, 2009, 09:49 AM
@Liberty fans: You'd cry about WCU too, and wonder why it wasn't Furman. And then you'd cry about Furman because it wasn't App. And you'd cry about App because it wasn't ECU. Etc...

You really think the program wanted to schedule cupcakes? I'm thinking @RMU was a last ditch effort to get a home and home when no one else wanted to play us in a respectable series that involved visiting Lynchburg. I would have liked to have seen another decent team on the schedule, too, but it's not like we're missing out on anything with this schedule. We have a clear cut, and relatively simple path to the playoffs. We have a couple games that could earn us national respect. A win over BSU or JMU would do wonders for the program. Wins over GW, Presby, Coastal, CSU, SBU, and VMI get us a chance at another big time win in the playoffs. I like the way that sets up.

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
What's so bad about this schedule? It's fine. A patsy in St Francis and Savannah St, a middle of the road NEC team in Robert Morris, an FBS team in Ball St, and a probable top 25 team in JMU. Granted, it's not a killer schedule but it's not a cupcake schedule either. Pretty decent, average schedule. No sub DI team as well. It's perfectly ok. xthumbsupx

jcmanson
December 23rd, 2009, 09:56 AM
Trade Savannah St or St Francis for ANYONE from the MEAC, Patriot, CAA, or SOCON, and I'd be satisfied.

danefan
December 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
Don't sleep on Robert Morris.

My pre-season favorite to win the NEC. Very young and very staunch defense.

They started off really bad this year but turned it around. Lost their first 6 games and won their last 5.

ToTheLeft
December 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
What's so bad about this schedule? It's fine. A patsy in St Francis and Savannah St, a middle of the road NEC team in Robert Morris, an FBS team in Ball St, and a probable top 25 team in JMU. Granted, it's not a killer schedule but it's not a cupcake schedule either. Pretty decent, average schedule. No sub DI team as well. It's perfectly ok. xthumbsupx

xoutofrepx

I'm sure UD would kill for a schedule with no sub-DI's, right? xnodx

ToTheLeft
December 23rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Don't sleep on Robert Morris.

My pre-season favorite to win the NEC. Very young and very staunch defense.

They started off really bad this year but turned it around. Lost their first 6 games and won their last 5.

And they hung with VMI. They're a good program, or at least going in the right direction. I look forward to that game.

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Trade Savannah St or St Francis for ANYONE from the MEAC, Patriot, CAA, or SOCON, and I'd be satisfied.

No offense, but there are some teams in both those conferences that aren't any better than Savannah or St Francis - er, maybe not Savannah, but having one really true patsy is perfectly acceptable.

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM
And they hung with VMI. They're a good program, or at least going in the right direction. I look forward to that game.

Hanging with VMI isn't necessarily a good bellweather. Didn't first year ODU hang 40 something on VMI in a victory at the end of the year?

ToTheLeft
December 23rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
Hanging with VMI isn't necessarily a good bellweather. Didn't first year ODU hang 40 something on VMI in a victory at the end of the year?

As far as NEC teams go, it's something. I'm not saying they're gonna go beat UMass, but they could definitely go beat Albany.

jcmanson
December 23rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
No offense, but there are some teams in both those conferences that aren't any better than Savannah or St Francis - er, maybe not Savannah, but having one really true patsy is perfectly acceptable.

One patsy is fine, not two. Especially when we have Presby and VMI in our conference.

IaaScribe
December 23rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
I can't imagine any scenario where a second-place Big South team would get consideration for an at-large bid. Said team would need multiple top-25 wins in the non-conference and have the league loss be the only loss on the schedule. Doesn't seem all that plausible.

Dukie95
December 23rd, 2009, 10:06 AM

xlolx xlolx

True...RMU is also one of two teams bad enough to actually lose to VMI.

danefan
December 23rd, 2009, 10:09 AM
RMU was a completely different team at the end of the season then the one that lost to VMI.

Believe me, we dealt with it first hand.

Dukie95
December 23rd, 2009, 10:14 AM
I can't imagine any scenario where a second-place Big South team would get consideration for an at-large bid. Said team would need multiple top-25 wins in the non-conference and have the league loss be the only loss on the schedule. Doesn't seem all that plausible.

Right. So now, as a consequence of the Big South getting the auto-bid, the OOC games really don't matter anyway.

SumItUp
December 23rd, 2009, 10:14 AM

There are 20 teams next year and it will be unlikely that more than 34 will have 7 D1 wins. Outside of the Top 15 teams, it is unlikely that there will be any teams that will have multiple wins over Top 25 teams.

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2009, 10:17 AM

Right. So now, as a consequence of the Big South getting the auto-bid, the OOC games really don't matter anyway.

I agree with that, although a Liberty team that loses one game all year, and has it be an in-conference game that loses the auto-bid for them, could be in consideration. That would have them be 10-1 with wins over JMU and Ball St. In that scenario, it's possible. I doubt that scenario will happen, but just throwing that out there.

Dukie95
December 23rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
There are 20 teams next year and it will be unlikely that more than 34 will have 7 D1 wins. Outside of the Top 15 teams, it is unlikely that there will be any teams that will have multiple wins over Top 25 teams.

One the new auto-bids are placed, you only need two at-larges. I don't see how a second place BSC team could possibly be considered higher quality than a first-out team from a better conference.

Also, that whole 7 win thing is going to have to be adjusted. It was never a real rule in the first place. There will be some good 6 win teams that make it.

kdinva
December 23rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
One patsy is fine, not two. Especially when we have Presby and VMI in our conference.
We'll find out on 10/16.xsmileyclapx

TexasTerror
December 23rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
What's wrong with the schedule?

For a team that realized how a poor schedule could equate to missing the playoffs - they have two patsies (Savannah St and St Francis) plus another school that in the eyes of many around the nation, could also be considered a patsie (Robert Morris).

kdinva
December 23rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
RMU was a completely different team at the end of the season then the one that lost to VMI.

Believe me, we dealt with it first hand.
And considering the way VMI (the defense, anyway) played vs. ODU, if VMI played RMU again the following week, who knows.......xreadx

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2009, 10:32 AM
What's wrong with the schedule?

For a team that realized how a poor schedule could equate to missing the playoffs - they have two patsies (Savannah St and St Francis) plus another school that in the eyes of many around the nation, could also be considered a patsie (Robert Morris).

If they lose to JMU and Ball St it won't matter anyway. Now with the Big South auto in place, Liberty just needs to focus on winning the conference. They could have a better schedule, but if they still finished second in the Big South and didn't beat JMU or Ball St it won't matter anyway as they would still be on the outside looking in. They have two games where they can prove themselves and they have the shot at the auto, which is how they'll probably get in anyway.

JMUNJ08
December 23rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
Having JMU & Ball St. definitely help the OOC schedule. The others don't do much but if RM & StF play well in NEC it won't be bad. Their goal now is to get prepared for conference play and win the auto bid. Not schedule sure W's. JMU and an FBS show that they are at least trying to get the big teams to toughen them up for the Big South.

Sly Fox
December 23rd, 2009, 07:09 PM
Easy now, TT. the JMU fans on here seem to understand what we already know. We aren't going to the playoffs as an at large anytime in the next decade. If we the committee wouldn't take a conference champ as an at large they certainly would have no interest in any Big South runners-up. Recognizing the situation we loaded up on the DI patsies that middlings from the power conferences use to pas their DI win totals to earn at larges combined with their "quality losses".

Bogus Megapardus
December 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
we loaded up on the DI patsies

I love it when this s*hit comes back to bite you on the ass.

Schfourteenteen
December 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Easy now, TT. the JMU fans on here seem to understand what we already know. We aren't going to the playoffs as an at large anytime in the next decade. If we the committee wouldn't take a conference champ as an at large they certainly would have no interest in any Big South runners-up. Recognizing the situation we loaded up on the DI patsies that middlings from the power conferences use to pas their DI win totals to earn at larges combined with their "quality losses".

Disagree. Take Last year's schedule and paste it on next year. If we lose the conference game to SB but beat JMU, we're in the field of 20.

bjtheflamesfan
December 23rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Im with TTL on this one. Would I have liked to see a game with someone like SFA or McNeese out of the SLC or Furman or Wofford from teh SoCon or even Delaware or Maine form the CAA or UNI from the MVC? Oh yes absolutely...but LU is somewhat in limbo. With the Big South (I was going to call it the BSC but fans of schools like Montana, Weber, Northern AZ and Montana St would get rather uptight...oh the confusion of having two conferences with the initials BSC) getting an autobid next season I can live with the schedule as it stands right now.

Seawolf97
December 23rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
It is interesting the conference powers to be have us as the last game of the season again. Another Title Game in the making ?

SuperJon
December 23rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
If it isn't then one team is having a disappointing year.

BJuice
December 23rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
It is interesting the conference powers to be have us as the last game of the season again. Another Title Game in the making ?

It might be, but ONLY after Charleston Southern has something to say about it. After all, we beat the conference champ this year.

Teams in this conference should have learned over the past couple of years not to count us out.

Seawolf97
December 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
It might be, but ONLY after Charleston Southern has something to say about it. After all, we beat the conference champ this year.

Teams in this conference should have learned over the past couple of years not to count us out.

I wouldnt count out any team in the conference. We scraped out a few close ones and lost to the Bucs. Once Presby gets up to speed and they will it will always be a close race in the Big South.

SuperJon
December 23rd, 2009, 09:59 PM

You had Liberty and Stony Brook both at home this past year. CSU is very tough at home.

CSU is a much different team on the road.

CSU goes to SBU and Liberty next year.

bjtheflamesfan
December 23rd, 2009, 11:17 PM

Jon is right...you have to go to the top 2 teams in the conference in 2009 next year and at least in my recollection, the Bucs have never beaten the Flames in Lynchburg (and the last couple times got basically run off the field)

Libertine
December 24th, 2009, 12:04 PM
the Bucs have never beaten the Flames in Lynchburg

Incorrect. It happened in 2000, Karcher's first year. CSU recorded two safeties in a 25-0 win that was also their first ever victory over a full-scholarship program.

bjtheflamesfan
December 24th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Incorrect. It happened in 2000, Karcher's first year. CSU recorded two safeties in a 25-0 win that was also their first ever victory over a full-scholarship program.

Thanks for the correct Libertine...as I was writing that I was thinking about whether or not it had happened before I arrived on the mountain

SuperJon
December 24th, 2009, 01:52 PM
No, it happened in 2000, not 1994. You were there.

bjtheflamesfan
December 24th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I didnt arrive on the mountain until 2002 Jon...lol

downbythebeach
December 24th, 2009, 04:01 PM
You have a fine chance of being 3-0 when you travel to Harrisonburg.........I wonder if RMU has plans to expand their 3,300 seat facility?

I dont think they have plans, but they left the possibility open.
Originally it was supposed to be 10,000 but they scaled it back a bit. I think there were complaints from the community.

kdinva
December 24th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I dont think they have plans, but they left the possibility open.
Originally it was supposed to be 10,000 but they scaled it back a bit. I think there were complaints from the community.
Hmmm, that's the exact same thing said about a new on-campus facility for that CAA program where I live.xrolleyesxxcoffeex

ngineer
December 24th, 2009, 05:52 PM
When's Liberty ever going to make the 'return trip' to Goodman after we visit y'all back in 2004?????????

bjtheflamesfan
December 24th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I think Lehigh might be a good trip. when is the next 12 game year anyway?

TexasTerror
December 24th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I think Lehigh might be a good trip. when is the next 12 game year anyway?

Per my post on KatFans.com...

"After 2008, the next three years in which 12-game scheduling will be allowed are 2013, 2014 and 2019 under the current rules for FCS institutions"

bjtheflamesfan
December 24th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Per my post on KatFans.com...

"After 2008, the next three years in which 12-game scheduling will be allowed are 2013, 2014 and 2019 under the current rules for FCS institutions"

Thanks TT...as I dont post in your neck of the internet woods that was useful

Schfourteenteen
December 24th, 2009, 08:10 PM
When's Liberty ever going to make the 'return trip' to Goodman after we visit y'all back in 2004?????????

I cant tell you if this is true, but I heard Liberty got out of the return trip.

ngineer
December 24th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I cant tell you if this is true, but I heard Liberty got out of the return trip.

I know Liberty had asked out of the scheduled return trip due to some other 'opportunity', but I wasn't aware the return was totally kebashed.

SuperJon
December 24th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Yeah, that's been said on here every time a Lehigh fan has complained about it.

ngineer
December 25th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Well, still would be a good OOC for both schools. Maybe they can reschedule a get together..

Keenan
December 26th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Sept. 4 Preview against St.Francis(PA) already up on FlamesFans.com!!! Love it!

http://www.flamefans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14707

Pards Rule
December 28th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Damn - wish the 'Pards were on it.. Would like a road trip to Lynchburg!

Bogus Megapardus
December 28th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Damn - wish the 'Pards were on it.. Would like a road trip to Lynchburg!

We just finished our home-and-home with Liberty. It seemed like a pretty good series, though.

Pards Rule
December 28th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I know! Two quite competitve games. I saw the one in Easton and was hoping to go south.

Pard94
December 28th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I know! Two quite competitve games. I saw the one in Easton and was hoping to go south.

I agree. I say we "run it back" as they say in pick up b-ball. Let's sign up for another home and home with the Flames. A lot of fun playing them!

TxState_GO_CATS!
December 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Wait hold up!

Please tell me Terror isn't criticizing Liberty's schedule when SAM HOUSTON scheduled NAIA Bacon Bits College xeekx and Div III The Nuns of St. Joseph's! xsmhx

C'MON MAN!xlolxxlolx

At least they have all Div I's + a winnable FBS. Good schedule.

Sly Fox
December 28th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I admit that I'd prefer we had a game in either San Marcos or Huntsville on the slate.

As for the Lafayette series, I enjoyed it as well. I'd love to see us book another series soon.

fantheflames71
January 9th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Sly would rather have a game in texas. Id rather play SIU or Illinois State so I could be there