PDA

View Full Version : What does your Coach make?

Ronbo
December 22nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Montana will be hiring a new Coach now. What's the FCS Head Coaches making now?

ysubigred
December 22nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
?? Only their accountant could honestly tell you that. xthumbsupx

kdinva
December 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Well, London at UR was reportedly making $280-$300K (don't know if any one in 1-AA was/is making more), then I will guess some coaches in the Pioneer League, etc. may not make more than $75K...........JUST ONE GUESS;)

blukeys
December 22nd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Ours makes underachieving football teams.

Fear the Bird
December 22nd, 2009, 03:23 PM

xsmileyclapxxbowx

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM

xlolxxrotatehx

FargoBison
December 22nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Around $300k.

GaSouthern
December 22nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
Georgia Southern was the highest in 2006 paying over 450K with benefits. (from what i've been told)

And what did it get us? the worst season in school history.

I think Jeff Monken our new head coach will make just a tad over 400K which is probably not much now in the world of FCS.

UNHFan99
December 22nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
The Local Papers have Coach Mac between $150,000 and $180,000.

mountaineer_dax
December 22nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
Not nearly enough what he should be getting paid that is for sure. I think Moore is in the 250 range.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 22nd, 2009, 04:13 PM

xsmileyclapxxpopcornxxlolx

FargoBison
December 22nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
Georgia Southern was the highest in 2006 paying over 450K with benefits. (from what i've been told)

I think Jeff Monken our new head coach will make just a tad over 400K which is probably not much now in the world of FCS.

I'd bet $400k is at the top or top 5.

EKU05
December 22nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Wow...some of you guys are really paying out. Dean Hood makes $175,000 I believe, which is actually more than Purdue Head Coach Danny Hope was making at EKU before he left. He made 150k, which I believe is the same as basketball coach Jeff Neubauer (although his wife also works for EKU and I've heard she makes nearly six figures herself).

BEAR
December 22nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
I think Conque makes between 110 - 130K a year. xbawlingx

Tribe4SF
December 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM

Not much? That is probably still the highest in FCS.

Laycock makes about 200K base, and probably 250-275 with extras like the Nike Camp.

slostang
December 22nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Cal Poly pays coach Walsh $190,000. He also makes money on his football camp, but I not sure how much. I would bet that it is enough to push him over the $200,000 level.

ncbears
December 22nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
I think $90,000

GOKATS
December 22nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
?? Only their accountant could honestly tell you that. xthumbsupx

Maybe elsewhere, in Montana it's easily available public knowledge. They're public employees and salaries are capped by the Board of Regents.

panther84
December 22nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
Search on interweb says about 263K for Mark Farley

dennisdent
December 22nd, 2009, 06:34 PM
The Boston Herald shows Kevin Morris at 200k per year.

Pretty good for a coach with a losing record as a D3 head coach...

R.A.
December 22nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
What does OUR coach make?

Losers.

caribbeanhen
December 22nd, 2009, 08:43 PM

Wow, and Obama is mad at those Wall st fat cats

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 22nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
Wow, and Obama is mad at those Wall st fat cats

xsmileyclapxxlolx

MaximumBobcat
December 22nd, 2009, 09:31 PM
Texas State Head coach Brad Wright just signed a 3 year contract with a 200k base salary, with a bonus of up to 300k for a NC title.

SideLine Shooter
December 22nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Not nearly enough what he should be getting paid that is for sure. I think Moore is in the 250 range.

Not nearly enough! He should be the highest paid in FCS!!!!!

Hoyadestroya85
December 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Not nearly as much as Jay Wright (1.5 Million)

drpnut
December 23rd, 2009, 10:59 AM
A Member of our Board of Trustees told me that Coach Ayers is the 2nd highest paid man in the SoCon... So we know that Hatcher was the highest at GaSouth at probably 300Kplus and Coach Moore at Appy is at 250K, so that Has Ayers pay range, I believe.

Holla

seantaylor
December 23rd, 2009, 10:51 PM
Hatcher made $425K last year. Monken won't make any less than that. He probably will be at $450-475K

JMUNJ08
December 24th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Texas State Head coach Brad Wright just signed a 3 year contract with a 200k base salary, with a bonus of up to 300k for a NC title.

Whats with all the useless clauses??? Hauck can't get to the BCS games either!xlolxxlolxxlolx

MM makes 220K which has been thrown about recently since some thought he might be up for the Marshall job but their last coach actually had a lower base contractxeekx

paward
December 24th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I thought Keller and Matthews received raises to match what London was making at Richmond.

19Duke97
December 24th, 2009, 10:14 AM
MM makes hyperbolic statements, but we still love him, even with all his flaws.

clinchBoy
December 24th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Hatcher made $213k a year. Not sure where you guys are getting these figures. The 400K that I see mentioned may be a buy out of the last two years on a contract.

phoenixphanatic21
December 24th, 2009, 11:33 AM
No idea what Coach Lembo makes, but it is not probably not enough. All I know is last year he signed an extension to stay with the team until 2013 (his original deal was supposed to extire in 2010).

PhoenixMan
December 24th, 2009, 01:26 PM
No idea what Coach Lembo makes, but it is not probably not enough. All I know is last year he signed an extension to stay with the team until 2013 (his original deal was supposed to extire in 2010).

I understand that Lembo makes around 200K per year. Private schools are not required to divulge salary like state schools, so hard to say for sure. You're right, not enough. Lots of jobs with less responsibility and pressure making more than that.

seantaylor
December 24th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hatcher made $213k a year. Not sure where you guys are getting these figures. The 400K that I see mentioned may be a buy out of the last two years on a contract.

No. He made $425 with the extra bonuses from Boosters and TV shows.

msusig
December 24th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Who is the highest paid FCS coach?

darell1976
December 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM
In 2008 Chris Mussman made $99,750. Of course our hockey coach makes $210,000

achrist70
December 24th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Well that makes sense just compare the two venues the two teams play in

ngineer
December 24th, 2009, 05:54 PM

That extension, I bet, is all sorts of escape clauses if a BCS school comes a-calling...xnodx

SpikeDawg
December 24th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Coaches in FCS generally make:

Base Salary
Bonus/Incentives
Camp/Additional Income Opps
Endorsements
Talk Show

Hard to know exactly what everyone makes at the HC level- Also another important consideration is how many years the contract is good for.

Another big disparity in FCS vs FBS is ASSISTANT COACH pay. This needs a boost as we lose many assistants to FBS.

I don't doubt there were some serious boosters at Ga Southern- but with a base of $200K, why would Hatcher be at $450K (bonuses for losing?)

http://www.macon.com/169/story/934947.html

Laserlips
December 24th, 2009, 07:08 PM

dar:

What is this "hockey" of which you speak?xeyebrowx

Jesse

Grizo406
December 24th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Hopefully, I'll be able to give you an answer before 10 January...xwhistlex

ncbears
December 24th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Unless football actually makes money for the university I don't think coaches should make more than professors. I'm going to get massacred for believing this in...3...2...1

clinchBoy
December 24th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Unless football actually makes money for the university I don't think coaches should make more than professors. I'm going to get massacred for believing this in...3...2...1

Coaches sure do work a helluva lot harder, and more!!

EKU05
December 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM

I understand that logic, but what it doesn't account for is the intangible ways a program benefits a university outside of that program's financial situation taken as an island. Merch sales, inducing donations, and building a general sense of community that keeps people tied to the school.

MorgantonAPPAlum
December 25th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Meh-also depends on the professor. App. State had an Econ. prof, who was also the chair of the Banking dept. named Elbert Bowden. He was often called to advise the Fed, wrote a very successful textbook and generally raised the prestige of the University due to his reputation. He probably made more from sales of his textbook than he did from his salary, but he was worth more money to the school due to his standing among economists. I had a macro class with him that was the biggest I ever had at ASU, the only one I ever had with more than 100 students. It was also one of the best.

Depending on the prof, what he teaches and at what kind of school (i.e. a very talented engineering prof at a high tech school or some other specific field) he may or may not deserve more than the football coach.

Most profs I'd say no (and I was a Community College instructor for 12 years).

ncbears
December 25th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Meh-also depends on the professor. App. State had an Econ. prof, who was also the chair of the Banking dept. named Elbert Bowden. He was often called to advise the Fed, wrote a very successful textbook and generally raised the prestige of the University due to his reputation. He probably made more from sales of his textbook than he did from his salary, but he was worth more money to the school due to his standing among economists. I had a macro class with him that was the biggest I ever had at ASU, the only one I ever had with more than 100 students. It was also one of the best.

Depending on the prof, what he teaches and at what kind of school (i.e. a very talented engineering prof at a high tech school or some other specific field) he may or may not deserve more than the football coach.

Most profs I'd say no (and I was a Community College instructor for 12 years).

You're probably right. Maybe on average I would say they need to make more than the coach (of course unless the school makes a ton of money from football). On a side note, I would like to be a community college professor too man.

clinchBoy
December 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I guess you think coaches just show up for practice and the games then go home. Coaches put in 80+ hours a week. How much do you work professor?

clinchBoy
December 25th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Oh...and they work not knowing if they will have job the following year because the job security, especially the higher brand of football you are is a year to year basis. Professors, even terrible ones get tenure.

DFW HOYA
December 25th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I sometimes wonder if tenure helps prop up failing academic departments, but not athletic ones. What if coaches had tenure?

Mr. Rabinowitz gives only passing thought to firing 9 or 10 Hofstra football coaches before the holidays, but he could never cut the entire psychology department (a likely money-loser) and not get rid of the tenured faculty, much less face the wrath of hundreds of other faculty. At a lot of schools the tenured faculty will still be there when the president is long gone.

Also, one wonders in these situations if the other Hofstra or Northeastern coaches express their anger over the dismissals, or do they simply keep low to avoid a similar fate?

ncbears
December 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I guess you think coaches just show up for practice and the games then go home. Coaches put in 80+ hours a week. How much do you work professor?

I'm not a professor, you douche bag.

nms1987
December 25th, 2009, 12:11 PM

That same logic could apply just as easily to professors. Many professors lives are built around their passion, which is also their profession.

For instance, I know English professors who amass large personal libraries on their own dime and enjoy spending much of their free time reading, researching and publishing. Same with a history professor. He might go home from work, make his dinner and open a new book on, say, the lives of Russian peasants in his free time. His vacations each might be to the classic cathedrals of Europe or the Renaissance artifacts of Florence instead of Cabo, South Island or Cancun, because that is what they love. All this time spent on this would be voluntary but would also be work, as anything gleaned would show right back up in their teachings and writings.
Furthermore professors do plenty of organized, official research and publishing outside of the classes they teach to improve both their personal prestige (and tenure chances) but also the reputation of their university.

I don't think it is a stretch to consider that a great professor would spend as much time on his work and knowledge as a great coach.

Most, or at least many, serious professors, esp those that do research, don't work like cashiers. They don't go to work from 9-5, close up their office and go home and play x-box.

Reign of Terrier
December 25th, 2009, 12:59 PM

I agree, the reason coaches are paid more is because they generally do, bringing in at least 10s of thousands of dollars (probably 100s of thousands of dollars--the big time FBS programs bring in millions) in concessions, endorsements, etc.

argh!
December 25th, 2009, 05:17 PM
i know lots of professors who have pulled in millions for their universities in the form of funded grants.

Reign of Terrier
December 25th, 2009, 05:19 PM
i know lots of professors who have pulled in millions for their universities in the form of funded grants.

coaches do it on a yearly basis

ncbears
December 25th, 2009, 05:49 PM
coaches do it on a yearly basis

FCS coaches? I doubt it. I'm for education over athletics any day.

ncbears
December 25th, 2009, 05:52 PM

That same logic could apply just as easily to professors. Many professors lives are built around their passion, which is also their profession.

For instance, I know English professors who amass large personal libraries on their own dime and enjoy spending much of their free time reading, researching and publishing. Same with a history professor. He might go home from work, make his dinner and open a new book on, say, the lives of Russian peasants in his free time. His vacations each might be to the classic cathedrals of Europe or the Renaissance artifacts of Florence instead of Cabo, South Island or Cancun, because that is what they love. All this time spent on this would be voluntary but would also be work, as anything gleaned would show right back up in their teachings and writings.
Furthermore professors do plenty of organized, official research and publishing outside of the classes they teach to improve both their personal prestige (and tenure chances) but also the reputation of their university.

I don't think it is a stretch to consider that a great professor would spend as much time on his work and knowledge as a great coach.

Most, or at least many, serious professors, esp those that do research, don't work like cashiers. They don't go to work from 9-5, close up their office and go home and play x-box.

NoCo professors don't make crap and the ones I had spent countless hours on their professions and they were very good at it. Good post man.

Bogus Megapardus
December 25th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I sometimes wonder if tenure helps prop up failing academic departments, but not athletic ones. What if coaches had tenure?

Mr. Rabinowitz gives only passing thought to firing 9 or 10 Hofstra football coaches before the holidays, but he could never cut the entire psychology department (a likely money-loser) and not get rid of the tenured faculty, much less face the wrath of hundreds of other faculty. At a lot of schools the tenured faculty will still be there when the president is long gone.

Also, one wonders in these situations if the other Hofstra or Northeastern coaches express their anger over the dismissals, or do they simply keep low to avoid a similar fate?

Eve Atkinson, much-maligned former AD at Lafayette, infamously claimed she was "tenured" and thus could not be dismissed. She became embroiled in a decade-long lawsuit over the subject, which she lost at all levels of appeal. A black mark in the college's athletic history from which it has now finally recovered. I suppose an endowed coach could claim the same thing.

clinchBoy
December 25th, 2009, 08:14 PM

Im for both. Enrollments almost always go up at a school following a great year on the gridiron.

No need to call names on here NCBears. You must be one of those punk frat boys that used to get picked on. Judging by your profile picture you look and sound like the Douche bag!

The difference in the college coach and the college professor is the pressures and job security that come with being a football coach. At least it does at a school that cares about winning! So, probably not your school douchebag!

Reign of Terrier
December 25th, 2009, 09:51 PM

I am too but at the same time fcs teams probably bring in 100s of th ousands of dollars. say a ticket costs $15 and you have 4000 people attend every game (at least) thats $ 60,000 for 1 game (with minimum attendance) not including tv deals, concessions, and the big time prostitution games of playing big time fbs schools. so ~350k isn't all that bad.

Thundar
December 25th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Around $300k.

I believe that would be his TOTAL compensation with bonus's for a Championship season??? and we all know how close we are to thatxlolx

FargoBison
December 25th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I believe that would be his TOTAL compensation with bonus's for a Championship season??? and we all know how close we are to thatxlolx

You would be surprised, most of his contract is guaranteed(as long as the fans show up)....

Base $180K
Radio/TV $60k
Gate 30-40K
Speaking 5k
Camps at least 5k

So basically he made $280-300k

His performance bonuses max out at $45K(5k per home playoff game, 10k for a MVFC title, and 20k for a FCS title).

JSUBison
December 26th, 2009, 12:17 AM

xdeadhorsex

DSUrocks07
December 26th, 2009, 07:23 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2008/05/02/delaware-state-extend-head-coach-al-lava?blog=2

In 2007, Lavan signed a one year extension to 2011 in the spring after the leading us to the brink of the playoffs after the 2006 season. After the 2007 playoff appearance, he signed another extension for one year to 2012. Not sure what his incentives and other bonuses are but apparently his base salary in 2007 was $200k, and our former AD stated that DSU coaches usually get a 5 percent raise every year.

Thundar
December 26th, 2009, 08:50 AM
xdeadhorsex

LOL no crap, this thread has NOTHING to do with Hockeyxlolxxlolxxrotatehxxnonono2xxwhistlex

UNHFan
December 26th, 2009, 10:00 AM
UNH Coach Mac is the Highest Paid State Employee Also I dont want to give details but he ends up making close 200K per year.

nms1987
December 26th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Haha, you don't want to give details? This isn't classified information dude. He is a state employee. You aren't letting any secrets loose.

ncbears
December 26th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Im for both. Enrollments almost always go up at a school following a great year on the gridiron.

No need to call names on here NCBears. You must be one of those punk frat boys that used to get picked on. Judging by your profile picture you look and sound like the Douche bag!

The difference in the college coach and the college professor is the pressures and job security that come with being a football coach. At least it does at a school that cares about winning! So, probably not your school douchebag!

I'm 31 years old! I hope I'm not a frat boy!

UNH Fanboi
December 26th, 2009, 11:28 AM
UNH Coach Mac is the Highest Paid State Employee Also I dont want to give details but he ends up making close 200K per year.

I bet in most states the highest paid employees are college football coaches.

UNHFan
December 26th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Haha, you don't want to give details? This isn't classified information dude. He is a state employee. You aren't letting any secrets loose.

No nothing to hide. Not all his income is from the state thats all nothing shocking here no big secrets.xpeacex

yosef1969
December 26th, 2009, 12:51 PM
As of the 2008-09 school year Coach Moore had a $170K base salary paid by the state of NC. I think he recieved a raise when the AD brought in basketball coach Buzz Peterson, so he may be making up to $250K now. Not sure how much is kicked in on top of the base through the athletic endowment, bonuses, endorsements, camps, etc. Coach Moore has diverted much of his wage increases to his coaching staff over the years. As a result, I would guess that ASU has some of the best paid assistant coaches in FCS. If Coach Moore had kept all those increases for himself (and as I understand it, it was at his discretion) he would be one of, if not the highest paid FCS coach.

In comparing professor and coaching salaries, the head coach would not be equivalent to a professor. A head coach is more like a Dean of a college, Co-ordinators=Department heads, Assistant Coaches would more closely equate to a professor. FCS HC's still make more but the gap isn't as big and professor's are making significantly more than assistant coaches at ASU. Sort of evens itself out IMO.

http://apps.newsobserver.com/know/uncga/index.php?action=showresults

T-Dog
December 27th, 2009, 03:24 AM

Public universities financial info is public info by law. You can probably find it on the state's website. xlolx

I do remember that in the 2005 season, Jerry Moore was the lowest paid coach in the SoCon. Then he got a raise and became the highest until BVG weeks later.

UNH Fanboi
December 27th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Not according to the Union Leader. The hockey coach makes 380K and Coach Mac makes 180K.

http://www.theunionleader.com/uploads/media-items/2009/January/2008USNHsalaries.pdf

Another story:

http://fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090224/GJNEWS_01/702249927

SDFS
December 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Not according to the Union Leader. The hockey coach makes 380K and Coach Mac makes 180K.

http://www.theunionleader.com/uploads/media-items/2009/January/2008USNHsalaries.pdf

Another story:

http://fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090224/GJNEWS_01/702249927

FYI - I am OK with including hockey information as a frame of reference in this thread. But, some fan bases are a little sensitive to such information. Count down to the beat down in 5 .. 4 .. 3 .. xcoffeex

redbirdtim
December 27th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I believe Coach Spack makes approximately $250,000 per season, but you have to factor in the benefits of dealer car (with insurance provided), free clothing/shoes, tv/radio show deals which may not be part of the salary, free tickets, and country club memberships.

Captain
December 27th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Jason Simpson of UT Martin makes $105,000 per year. That goes a long way in Martin, TN.

sharkeycox
December 28th, 2009, 02:55 PM

Most of the profs I had were lazy. Never would make it in the real world.xeyebrowx

odubum
December 29th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Bobby Wilder is making between $170,000 and $190,000. Seems kind of light but we are a first year program. If he continues on his winning ways, they will need to pay him more than that to keep him. I will say he is one hell of an ambassador for our program and that alone is worth a ton.

centexguy
December 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Ray Woodard at Lamar is making $130,000 per year.

ncbears
December 29th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Most of the profs I had were lazy. Never would make it in the real world.xeyebrowx

Sorry to see that. My profs were great. Shoulda come to UNC!