PDA

View Full Version : FAMU Names AD

TexasTerror
December 26th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Florida A&M found their AD. A former AD at FAMU who served a decade-long stint at Buffalo. Seems like a solid hire for the folks down there. I knew an individual applying for the job and I guess you can say they lost out to a much more qualified individual.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Florida A&M University presented veteran administrator Nelson E. Townsend as the school's new Director of Athletics during a news conference at the Galimore-Powell Fieldhouse Tuesday afternoon.

Dr. Castell Vaughn Bryant, University President introduced Townsend to the gathering of media, coaches, athletic staff and alumni at the football fieldhouse. Earlier in the afternoon, Bryant presented him formally to the FAMU coaches and athletic staff at a meeting in Gaither Gymnasium.

"Mr. Townsend brings the depth and quality of leadership experience which will be critical to moving our athletic program forward in the coming years," President Bryant said on Tuesday.

"His familiarity with our program and our conference, not to mention his extensive work on all levels of sports administration will serve us well, as we seek to elevate FAMU Athletics to higher levels of competitive excellence and NCAA compliance," Bryant concluded.

http://thefamurattlers.collegesports.com/genrel/122005aab.html

December 26th, 2005, 06:40 PM
He was their AD from 1986 to 1987 too.

TexasTerror
December 26th, 2005, 06:41 PM
He was their AD from 1986 to 1987 too.

The article, if I'm not mistaken, did not explain his short tenure. Was he interim or just so excited to jump over to Buffalo? He had to have left on good terms if he's back...

Mr. C
December 27th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Good luck, he's going to need it.

TexasTerror
December 27th, 2005, 12:35 PM
This guy was at Buffalo as they began their move to I-A...

Do you think he has a I-A plan for FAMU?

Mr. C
December 27th, 2005, 01:02 PM
This guy was at Buffalo as they began their move to I-A...

Do you think he has a I-A plan for FAMU?
Hopefully it is better than the plan for Buffalo. The Bulls are good in basketball (saw them play my alma mater, Fresno State, in one of those Bracket Buster games last February), but they have been dreadful in football.

I don't know if FAMU will be looking at I-A again very soon after the Rattlers' last experience at that process.