PDA

View Full Version : What it takes to win a National Championship

Anovafan
December 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM
A lot more than I ever thought. For so many years I said, heck, if we just got past YSU, YSU, YSU, McNeese, JMU, we would have won it all. Well, not so fast my friend, it takes a heck of a lot more to win it all. To all those past champions, I have gained a lot more respect for your accomplishment. You can't take anything for granted and can't take a single down off.

Here's what I think it takes to win a national championship:

1. Defense-You need to be able to shut down opponents consistently in the playoffs. You can't always count on your offense to outscore everyone.

2. Home field advantage for some/all of the playoffs-Winning on the road is not impossible, but it is tough. If Montana and Villanova played away in the semifinals, we could have had a completely different final game.

3. A difference maker on offense-ASU had Armanti, GSU had AP, Villanova had Szczur this year. You really need one of your playmakers to step it up in the playoffs. You need to be able to rely on someone for big plays when the going gets tough.

4. Luck-Good teams make their own luck through talent, but you have to have some luck on your side somehow. It might be a coin flip, a missed field goal or the weather. The difference between winning and losing in big games is often razor thin.

5. Solid coaching-I think it goes without saying, you have to make the right calls at the right times and have your team properly motivated and ready to play.

AppAlum2003
December 21st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Apparently not fan support, according to attendance numbers in Villanova. :D

Seriously, though, good post. I would agree with all points.

JMU Newbill
December 21st, 2009, 02:54 PM
A lot more than I ever thought. For so many years I said, heck, if we just got past YSU, YSU, YSU, McNeese, JMU, we would have won it all. Well, not so fast my friend, it takes a heck of a lot more to win it all. To all those past champions, I have gained a lot more respect for your accomplishment. You can't take anything for granted and can't take a single down off.

1. Defense-You need to be able to shut down opponents consistently in the playoffs. You can't always count on your offense to outscore everyone.

2. Home field advantage for some/all of the playoffs-Winning on the road is not impossible, but it is tough. If Montana and Villanova played away in the semifinals, we could have had a completely different final game.

3. A difference maker on offense-ASU had Armanti, GSU had AP, Villanova had Szczur this year. You really need one of your playmakers to step it up in the playoffs. You need to be able to rely on someone for big plays when the going gets tough.

4. Luck-Good teams make their own luck through talent, but you have to have some luck on your side somehow. It might be a coin flip, a missed field goal or the weather. The difference between winning and losing in big games is often razor thin.

5. Solid coaching-I think it goes without saying, you have to make the right calls at the right times and have your team properly motivated and ready to play.

Of course, in general, I think you are right about #2. Just wanted to point out 2004 when a certain team played every game on the road (or neutral site for the championship game) and still won the national championship.

Not arguing your point, just trying to get JMU's name in the post in a positive manner! xthumbsupx

GannonFan
December 21st, 2009, 02:55 PM

No offense, but there's no one single formula for winning a National Title. Some teams have won with poor defenses, some have won without playing a single home game, some have had no great players on offense, some have won by large margins all throughout the playoffs (eliminating the luck factor) and some have won without great coaching.

When it comes down to it, it's really simple to win a National Title - 1) be in the playoffs and 2) win all your games. No matter how it's done, that's all that's necessary. xthumbsupx

Catsfan2
December 21st, 2009, 03:55 PM
Apparently not fan support, according to attendance numbers in Villanova. :D

Seriously, though, good post. I would agree with all points.

I just don't get it -- the almost unhealthy obsession people from larger schools have with attendance figures. While the Villanova fan base is small, it is dedicated. As I've said previously, I've never been to Montana, but I have been to Delaware several times (six Nova games), and I have never seen the crowd make the slightest difference in the outcome of a game. I agree that there is a big advantage to playing at home, but I believe it has more to do with familiarity and not having to travel more than anything else.

asknoquarter21
December 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM
I have a feeling ASU and Montana would have something to say about the crowd playing a role.

Seriously though thing have to go your way and you don't have to be the best team. Just the best on gameday.

ur2k
December 21st, 2009, 04:10 PM

6. Play Montana in Chattanooga ... xeekx

... It was a joke (ducks)

Anovafan
December 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM
No offense, but there's no one single formula for winning a National Title. Some teams have won with poor defenses, some have won without playing a single home game, some have had no great players on offense, some have won by large margins all throughout the playoffs (eliminating the luck factor) and some have won without great coaching.

When it comes down to it, it's really simple to win a National Title - 1) be in the playoffs and 2) win all your games. No matter how it's done, that's all that's necessary. xthumbsupx

No offense, but UD had all 5 when it won its national championship. Defense, home field advantage, Andy Hall, luck and good coaching.

OL FU
December 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
No offense, but UD had all 5 when it won its national championship. Defense, home field advantage, Andy Hall, luck and good coaching.

JMU didn't play a game at home in 2004, but generally I agree with you.

I think it takes a combination of lot of things and even sometimes luck ( or the ball bouncing in the right direction). ASU won three in a row but could have not made the finals in 2005 or 2007 depending on a bouncing ball here or a slip on the two yard line there. But the point is they made it and had a certain combination of at least some of the things mention. (Before you ASU guys jump me, this is not a knock. The main point is that you won it in a helluva three year run and winning is the pointxnodx). Breaks and taking advantage of them are part of the game.

It takes skill, coaching, teamwork, home field and many times the breaks. It may not take them all but you have to have quite a few pieces of that puzzle.