View Full Version : Championship Game Officiating

VUCats02
December 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM
There has been a lot of complaining about fcs officiating. I don't know if it was just me, but the officials seemed to be outstanding in the championship game. I think they were from the ohio valley conference? They are way better than the CAA refs, I'm not sure about other conferences. They actually let the kids play. Kudos to the refs (in my opinion). I do not think they made one bad call or one bad no-call. Since there has been no mentioning of the refs in that game up to this point, that must mean they did a stellar job xthumbsupx

I'm not just saying this because 'Nova won either. After the first half (when 'nova was doing poorly), I even told myself these officials are legit.

srgrizizen
December 19th, 2009, 04:34 PM
There has been a lot of complaining about fcs officiating. I don't know if it was just me, but the officials seemed to be outstanding in the championship game. I think they were from the ohio valley conference? They are way better than the CAA refs, I'm not sure about other conferences. They actually let the kids play. Kudos to the refs (in my opinion). I do not think they made one bad call or one bad no-call. Since there has been no mentioning of the refs in that game up to this point, that must mean they did a stellar job xthumbsupx

I'm not just saying this because 'Nova won either. After the first half (when 'nova was doing poorly), I even told myself these officials are legit.

I agree, and except for a missed fumble call, the UM/ASU refs were also excellent.xthumbsupx

mlbowl
December 19th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I do not think they made one bad call or one bad no-call. Since there has been no mentioning of the refs in that game up to this point, that must mean they did a stellar job xthumbsupx

You mean...other than the fact they can't count to 12...sheesh...and why the 3 minute review...It seemed pretty obviousxpeacex

VUCats02
December 19th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I think they were also looking at whether there was an intentional grounding call (whether the ball got passed the line of scrimmage) on Montana. Also, when a play is overturned, a lot has to be taken into consideration like time on the clock, where the ball needs to be placed, etc. The refs spent more times writing things down than actually reviewing the play.

mlbowl
December 19th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I think they were also looking at whether there was an intentional grounding call (whether the ball got passed the line of scrimmage) on Montana. Also, when a play is overturned, a lot has to be taken into consideration like time on the clock, where the ball needs to be placed, etc. The refs spent more times writing things down than actually reviewing the play.

Hey...I think overall, officiating was pretty good...illegal participation is a pretty basic (easy) call...just sayingxpeacex

Zangzigger
December 19th, 2009, 05:45 PM
It's so hard to be an official. People always complain about them. They never get praise

TTUEagles
December 19th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hey! A compliment for the OVC on this site!!!

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2009, 08:18 PM
the best thing about the officials was that you didn't notice them....I can still see old Fat Albert out there for the 2007 Championship game, he really wanted some camera time

VUCats02
December 19th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah. Officials are like centers and long snappers. When you don't hear about them, they're doing a great job!

Old Cat Fan
December 19th, 2009, 09:08 PM
The only thing that they didn't call that I thought they should have, was a play when the Nova QB scrambled and was clearly a step out of bounds and the DB #4 for the Griz put a big time hit on him.. Thats when I said to myself the refs are going to let the two teams play it out xnodx

MR. CHICKEN
December 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM
The only thing that they didn't call that I thought they should have, was a play when the Nova QB scrambled and was clearly a step out of bounds and the DB #4 for the Griz put a big time hit on him.. Thats when I said to myself the refs are going to let the two teams play it out xnodx

DEY REALIZED...WHITNEY WASN'T UH BRITTLE QB......WHO SPENDS MO' TIME IN DUH MIRROR....DEN DUH WEIGHT ROOM.......OH....AN' #4 STOLL....WILL SPEND X-MAS IN IDAHO......PUNISHMENT 'NUFF......xlolx.....BRAWK!!

gwebbdawg
December 19th, 2009, 11:58 PM
From an impartial Chattanooga resident, I think the officiating was what you expect in a championship game. They were not noticed.
It was a good game even in the rain.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 20th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I agree, and except for a missed fumble call, the UM/ASU refs were also excellent.xthumbsupx

Other than the fact that APP was penalized 135 yards and Montana 15 ???? - I too thought the championship game was properly officiated - I hate a game where they throw the flag every other play -

Golden Eagle
December 20th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Any instance of good officiating by an OVC crew is purely coincidental.

SideLine Shooter
December 21st, 2009, 08:18 AM
When you have 2 solid teams that don't make mistakes you get a quality game that the officials don't have to get in the middle of with the flag. Great game and great officiating.xnodxxnodx

JMUNJ08
December 21st, 2009, 08:36 AM
It's so hard to be an official. People always complain about them. They never get praise

xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx Good postxthumbsupx

Very rarely when I officiated in college did I get anything but an ear full from teams unhappy with my calls. Especially since I wasn't getting any camera time...

EKUSteve
December 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
Hey! A compliment for the OVC on this site!!!

Considering how bad some of the officiating was during our conference schedule, this is an AMAZING compliment!