PDA

View Full Version : Question about next year's playoffs

GSU Eagle
December 19th, 2009, 12:42 PM
With 20 teams, I am assuming the bottom 8 play the Saturday after Thanksgiving with those 4 winners being paired with the top 4 seeds. Is that correct?

soccerguy315
December 19th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Something will have to give next year...

the only way to pair teams 13-20 is to rank the whole field 1-20. Then, if the whole field is ranked, are they going to pair them up 1-16, 2-15 (etc) or still pair the teams regionally, so it could be 1-6, 2-13, etc?

So... I don't have the answer to your question, just more questions of my own. Hopefully someone knows how it is going to work?

MR. CHICKEN
December 19th, 2009, 12:55 PM
ASSUMIN' DUH TOP FOUR SEEDS BYE.....FIRST ROUND......WHAT IFIN' SOME O' DEM....CONCLUDE DERE SEASON.....WEEK B/4 TURKEYDAY?.......WOODN'T TWO WEEKENDS OFFAH,,,,,,,RUST UP....DOSE SQWADS?..............JES' UH THOUGHT.......:p.....AWK!!

Old Cat Fan
December 19th, 2009, 01:00 PM
UNHwildcat explains the most probable situation here

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1501312&postcount=24

GSU Eagle
December 19th, 2009, 01:02 PM
So there would have to be some type of seeding, right? At the least the top 4 seeds would be paired with the 4 winners from the first weekend.

Bogus Megapardus
December 19th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Simple. The byes go to App State, Montana, and the entire CAA. Am I missing something here?

GSU Eagle
December 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM
The NEC and Big South get autobids next year, so there will be 2 additional at-large teams.

We can all hope we go back to a seeding of 1-20.

SpidersSportsEditor
December 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Simple. The byes go to App State, Montana, and the entire CAA. Am I missing something here?

That sounds about right. Except no AE at App State anymore so they'll have to earn the bye before it just gets handed to them.xlolx

henfan
December 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Hope for an entirely pointless & arbitrary exercise that does nothing to ensure the financial stability of the post-season? No thanks.

I like the mix of seeds, bids and regional play for 1st round games.xthumbsupx

soccerguy315
December 19th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hope for an entirely pointless & arbitrary exercise that does nothing to ensure the financial stability of the post-season? No thanks.

I like the mix of seeds, bids and regional play for 1st round games.xthumbsupx

How would you suggest they pick the 8 teams that are playing in the first round next year?

jmufan999
December 19th, 2009, 04:07 PM
That sounds about right. Except no AE at App State anymore so they'll have to earn the bye before it just gets handed to them.xlolx

zing!

except the montana thing will keep happening. they'll keep winning all (or all but one) of their conference games and be seeded in the top 3, at least. all the while, challenging themselves with a bevvy of FBS teams. sorry, i couldn't help that. i've been holding that in a while.

gn54549
December 19th, 2009, 04:41 PM
zing!

except the montana thing will keep happening. they'll keep winning all (or all but one) of their conference games and be seeded in the top 3, at least. all the while, challenging themselves with a bevvy of FBS teams. sorry, i couldn't help that. i've been holding that in a while.

can't really see that app has been handed anything. seed when deserved, which equals home games, and no seed when not deserved. even in 2007 when app didn't have a seed yet still were able to play home games throughout based on the current format of best bid between unseeded teams, app was ranked #5 and therefore the home game was technically awarded to the higher ranked team. but agreed about the montana thing.

Saint3333
December 20th, 2009, 09:15 AM

Show me one time ASU wasn't the better team when they hosted a home game?

As to the topic. I see them ranking the top 4 and numbers 13-16 (to host the play in round). 17-20 will travel to 13-16 based upon regionalization. After that round those 4 that advance will dictate where they go to the top 4 based upon regionalization. I hate it but based upon the NCAA this will be my expectation and I will be pleasantly surprised if they rank more of the teams.

BDKJMU
December 20th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Show me one time ASU wasn't the better team when they hosted a home game?

As to the topic. I see them ranking the top 4 and numbers 13-16 (to host the play in round). 17-20 will travel to 13-16 based upon regionalization. After that round those 4 that advance will dictate where they go to the top 4 based upon regionalization. I hate it but based upon the NCAA this will be my expectation and I will be pleasantly surprised if they rank more of the teams.

Pick the bottom 8, base them up geographically, with the home team being the one that had the bigger bid.

Each of those 4 games with the bottom 8 would be paired geographically for the winner to be at one of the top 4 seeds.

The remaining 8 (5-12) would be paired up geographically, with the home team again being the one with the bigger bid. The ? is, since that would technically be the 2nd round, could they match up teams from the same conference?

Remember, $ is still going to be the bottom line, and the NCAA is going to still want to minimize flights to reduce travel costs as much as possible.

Big Al
December 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Hammer, meet nail.

Personally, I would like to see teams from the same conference split up to opposite sides of the same bracket, at minimum. The NCAA has to cart teams around the country 20 times over the course of the playoffs, so they need to make sure they can afford the playoffs but that shouldn't come at the expense of pairing teams up against new foes for post-season play.

Pick the bottom 8, base them up geographically, with the home team being the one that had the bigger bid.

Each of those 4 games with the bottom 8 would be paired geographically for the winner to be at one of the top 4 seeds.

The reaming 8 (5-12) would be paired up geographically, with the home team again being the one with the bigger bid. The ? is, since that would technically be the 2nd round, could they match up teams from the same conference?

Remember, $ is still going to be the bottom line, and the NCAA is going to still want to minimize flights to reduce travel costs as much as possible.

Saint3333
December 20th, 2009, 04:17 PM
BDK I think you're spot on unfortunately. We'll get to hear complaints by the NEC teams of we always have to travel to a CAA team in the opening round. I can't wait...

My response will be - 16 teams was enough.

Big Al
December 20th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I agree. While I think all conference champs deserve a spot in the playoffs, I don't see why we should afford so much room to non-conference champs. If you can't get it done in the regular season, why give them a bounce into the post-season?

BDK I think you're spot on unfortunately. We'll get to hear complaints by the NEC teams of we always have to travel to a CAA team in the opening round. I can't wait...

My response will be - 16 teams was enough.

ThompsonThe
December 20th, 2009, 05:04 PM
This is going to be a joke. They have never really had 16 teams deserving of being in the playoffs, much less 20.

App State has never been handed anything. And remember they won the national championship BEFORE Armanti Edwards enrolled there. Now much discussion has taken place for years about the CAA being handed positions in the playoffs.

Can't wait for football season. Seems like it has been over for a long time already. Kind of like when you are in high school and waiting on that big date.

UAalum72
December 20th, 2009, 06:26 PM
BDK I think you're spot on unfortunately. We'll get to hear complaints by the NEC teams of we always have to travel to a CAA team in the opening round.
Surely you're not suggesting that CAA teams could possibly seeded as low as 13-16?

You already get those complaints from the OVC and MEAC. When the NEC has lost as many playoff games in a row as the OVC, I'll get back to you.

UNHWildCats
December 20th, 2009, 06:49 PM
The NEC and Big South get autobids next year, so there will be 2 additional at-large teams.

its going to have to if they are going to award byes because they will have to determine who the bottom 8 in the field are to play opening weekend.

UNHWildCats
December 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I agree. While I think all conference champs deserve a spot in the playoffs, I don't see why we should afford so much room to non-conference champs. If you can't get it done in the regular season, why give them a bounce into the post-season?

And what of a scenerario where say this happens

James Madison 10-1 (7-1) Loss to Delaware
New Hampshire 9-2 (7-1) Loss to James Madison
Delaware 9-2 (7-1) Loss to New Hampshire

When all tie breakers are done it ends up coming down to a series of coin tosses or something, would it be fair to the two left out not to be in the playoffs?

I have no problem with half the field being at large teams, if we have to have the final team in not be deserving and end up getting trounced in the first round to ensure all deserving teams are in, then so be it.

Saint3333
December 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Surely you're not suggesting that CAA teams could possibly seeded as low as 13-16?

You already get those complaints from the OVC and MEAC. When the NEC has lost as many playoff games in a row as the OVC, I'll get back to you.

This brings up a good question, do the "play-in" games equate to true playoff wins. IMO they would not.

UNHWildCats
December 20th, 2009, 07:01 PM

There maybe years when a CAA team should fall that low (2007 UNH?) but most years I would doubt we see a team opening weekend from the CAA, SoCon or MVFC.

UNHWildCats
December 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
This brings up a good question, do the "play-in" games equate to true playoff wins. IMO they would not.
are they going to be classified play in games? It would be interesting if it is because I would think then that no conference champ could be placed there because they are guaranteed a playoff spot so why should they be forced to "play in"

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 20th, 2009, 07:05 PM
There maybe years when a CAA team should fall that low (2007 UNH?) but most years I would doubt we see a team opening weekend from the CAA, SoCon or MVFC.

Maine 2008

I think you'll see aCAA team in the 13-20 game 50% of the time

Saint3333
December 20th, 2009, 07:09 PM
are they going to be classified play in games? It would be interesting if it is because I would think then that no conference champ could be placed there because they are guaranteed a playoff spot so why should they be forced to "play in"

I don't believe they will techincally be play-in games, but I don't think message board debates that I'm sure will ensue will be more difficult as I think many will not see these as comparable playoff wins to pre-2010 wins.

UNH Fanboi
December 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM

The OVC, MEAC and PL are 0-7, 0-5, and 0-6 in the playoffs in the last 5 years, respectively, and their average margins of loss during that period are 19.6, 18.2, and 19.5, respectively. This year Sagarin ranked the NEC below all three of the aforementioned conferences. I think it's fair to question whether the NEC auto-bids will fare any better, except for maybe getting a couple of wins in the play-in round against other marginal teams.

UNH Fanboi
December 20th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Maine 2008

I think you'll see aCAA team in the 13-20 game 50% of the time

Especially with two of the weaker teams now gone, we are going to see more parity in the CAA and more teams with records in the 7-4 range, who might get stuck in the play-in round.

Skjellyfetti
December 20th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Except no AE at App State anymore so they'll have to earn the bye before it just gets handed to them.xlolx

When has App been given a seed they didn't deserve? xcoffeex xwhistlex

Rekdiver
December 20th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Surprise surprise a bitter spider...

I dont care where the freakin NC is played by the NCAA better get it head out of its arse an d put the game in a warmer climate in January, like they do for the "big boys"

UAalum72
December 20th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I don't believe they will techincally be play-in games, but I don't think message board debates that I'm sure will ensue will be more difficult as I think many will not see these as comparable playoff wins to pre-2010 wins.
Are first-round wins since 1986 not considered comparable to when there were only twelve or eight or four teams in the I-AA playoffs? A win's a win. If a SoCon or CAA team wins 16-17 game I don't think they'll consider it a' playin' game.

UNHWildcat, I agree with you, but the NCAA always put conference champions in the basketball PIG. But I'm pretty sure this is an expansion of the field, not extra games to cut the teams to a 'real' number.

App Attack
December 20th, 2009, 07:54 PM

Sounds good to me! Except Richmond, who lost their entire team and coach and will not be a factor for quite some time.

Saint3333
December 20th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Are first-round wins since 1986 not considered comparable to when there were only twelve or eight or four teams in the I-AA playoffs? A win's a win. If a SoCon or CAA team wins 16-17 game I don't think they'll consider it a' playin' game.

UNHWildcat, I agree with you, but the NCAA always put conference champions in the basketball PIG. But I'm pretty sure this is an expansion of the field, not extra games to cut the teams to a 'real' number.

First round wins from 86 are equal to a quarterfinal win of 2009. If there was a point system play-in wins would not be equal to a 2009 first round playoff win.

UAalum72
December 20th, 2009, 08:09 PM
First round wins from 86 are equal to a quarterfinal win of 2009. If there was a point system play-in wins would not be equal to a 2009 first round playoff win.
Who has a point system and who cares? Nobody says the first-round wins of the last 20 years aren't 'real' playoff wins.

Sorry the NEC and Big South are busting into your little club, but you'll get used to it.

Saint3333
December 20th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Who has a point system and who cares? Nobody says the first-round wins of the last 20 years aren't 'real' playoff wins.

Sorry the NEC and Big South are busting into your little club, but you'll get used to it.

OLFU has one and it works pretty well IMO.

The only thing we (real playoff teams) will get used to is ending your season every year. I'm debating football with an NEC fan, I must be taking the loss to Montana worse than I thought.xnonono2x

WyomingGrizFan
December 20th, 2009, 08:38 PM

Since the NCAA = NCAA, regardless of if it's Div. I, II and/or III, they rule over all, supposedly, couldn't those chrome domes get equitable and just go ahead and take two million or so from the Rose Bowl perhaps, or all BCS Bowls conjointly insofar as revenue is concerned, and spread it out to cover expenses for the FCS Playoff System. Or would that be too much of a condescension on their part? Are they too big to fall?

Geez, one year even the loser of the Rose Bowl got around fourteen million just for showing up, no less. Just throw in the towel and collect your mullah. Who cares? If I was going to get paid that much just for losing one game I'd just bag it and go on to the next level. See my agent in the yellow pages.

Oh yeah, I forgot, this is amateur athletics we're talking about here. Then the FCS Selection Committee can seed all participating teams regardless of region; what a brainstorm!!!

That's what the National Park Service does. The big Parks like Yellowstone, Glacier, etc, charge $ 25.00 for an entrance fee, then they divide the revenues up, say, twenty per cent taken in is granted unto those sites that the Dept. of Interior has jurisdiction over, that don't charge entrance fees, so they too can provide upkeep of buildings, services to the public, etc. The NPS has been doing this for twenty years or so, as far as I know. Why can't the NCAA do the same?

UNH Fanboi
December 20th, 2009, 08:48 PM

People are bitter because the biggest costs of the expansion will be imposed on the two championship teams, who will have their season extended three weeks, all for the sake of 4 teams who have almost no chance of winning. Even with a 16 team field, we've had several auto-bid conferences that almost always lose in the 1st round.

UAalum72
December 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM
OLFU has one and it works pretty well IMO.

The only thing we (real playoff teams) will get used to is ending your season every year. I'm debating football with an NEC fan, I must be taking the loss to Montana worse than I thought.xnonono2x
Exactly. You're Ted Knight to my Dangerfield in Caddyshack. I liked how that movie turned out.

Saint3333
December 20th, 2009, 09:13 PM
People are bitter because the biggest costs of the expansion will be imposed on the two championship teams, who will have their season extended three weeks, all for the sake of 4 teams who have almost no chance of winning. Even with a 16 team field, we've had several auto-bid conferences that almost always lose in the 1st round.

xoutofrepx

BDKJMU
December 20th, 2009, 09:28 PM
The OVC, MEAC and PL are 0-7, 0-5, and 0-6 in the playoffs in the last 5 years, respectively, and their average margins of loss during that period are 19.6, 18.2, and 19.5, respectively. This year Sagarin ranked the NEC below all three of the aforementioned conferences. I think it's fair to question whether the NEC auto-bids will fare any better, except for maybe getting a couple of wins in the play-in round against other marginal teams.

Nope, the Patriot is 0-7, not 0-6 since 05'.

UNHWildCats
December 20th, 2009, 09:53 PM
i dont see a disadvantage for the 2 championship teams, I actually see an advantage for the top teams every year now having a weeks rest before the playoffs start. That will be huge especially for teams who have a very early bye week. The teams in the championship will likely come from the group having a 1st round bye, so no extra games are being played by them and they as a result will not incur any additional travel costs.

UNH Fanboi
December 20th, 2009, 10:26 PM
i dont see a disadvantage for the 2 championship teams, I actually see an advantage for the top teams every year now having a weeks rest before the playoffs start. That will be huge especially for teams who have a very early bye week. The teams in the championship will likely come from the group having a 1st round bye, so no extra games are being played by them and they as a result will not incur any additional travel costs.

But they are going to have to practice when their campuses are closed, which will create significant costs, not to mention disrupt a lot of people's holiday plans. Also, instead of two teams playing during the peak of exams, there will be 4 teams because the whole schedule will be pushed back a week. It all seems so pointless to create these disruptions and extend the season just for the sale of allowing in 4 teams that don't have any realistic chance of winning. This system also puts teams 13-16 at a big disadvantage that they did not used to have since they will have to win an extra game to make the championship.

whoanellie
December 20th, 2009, 10:33 PM

special NasCar/ WWE ruling that AE will get play-off eligible ruling allowing him to play Friday's and Saturday's after Grey Cup games..... could become the Brett Favre of the FCS......xwhistlexxsmiley_wix

elon77
December 21st, 2009, 07:30 AM
special NasCar/ WWE ruling that AE will get play-off eligible ruling allowing him to play Friday's and Saturday's after Grey Cup games..... could become the Brett Favre of the FCS......xwhistlexxsmiley_wix

Maybe he can be like the East Carolina QB and play for 6 years. I have never been able to figure that one out. He should be a MD when he finally graduates.

UAalum72
December 21st, 2009, 07:53 AM
People are bitter because the biggest costs of the expansion will be imposed on the two championship teams, who will have their season extended three weeks, all for the sake of 4 teams who have almost no chance of winning.
You can only blame the expansion for one week. Blame the NCAA and FCS's lack of TV appeal for pushing the championship so far into January.

Big Al
December 21st, 2009, 09:25 AM
Beyond certifiying a bowl as eligible to invite NCAA members, they don' t have anything to do with them. They don't see any of the money.

Since the NCAA = NCAA, regardless of if it's Div. I, II and/or III, they rule over all, supposedly, couldn't those chrome domes get equitable and just go ahead and take two million or so from the Rose Bowl perhaps, or all BCS Bowls conjointly insofar as revenue is concerned, and spread it out to cover expenses for the FCS Playoff System. Or would that be too much of a condescension on their part? Are they too big to fall?

Geez, one year even the loser of the Rose Bowl got around fourteen million just for showing up, no less. Just throw in the towel and collect your mullah. Who cares? If I was going to get paid that much just for losing one game I'd just bag it and go on to the next level. See my agent in the yellow pages.

Oh yeah, I forgot, this is amateur athletics we're talking about here. Then the FCS Selection Committee can seed all participating teams regardless of region; what a brainstorm!!!

That's what the National Park Service does. The big Parks like Yellowstone, Glacier, etc, charge $ 25.00 for an entrance fee, then they divide the revenues up, say, twenty per cent taken in is granted unto those sites that the Dept. of Interior has jurisdiction over, that don't charge entrance fees, so they too can provide upkeep of buildings, services to the public, etc. The NPS has been doing this for twenty years or so, as far as I know. Why can't the NCAA do the same?

BloomHusky'01
December 21st, 2009, 11:21 AM
During the broadcast of the championship game, I thought I heard the announcers mention that with the playoff expansion in 2010, the championship game would be pushed back to January. Is that right?

soccerguy315
December 21st, 2009, 11:53 AM
During the broadcast of the championship game, I thought I heard the announcers mention that with the playoff expansion in 2010, the championship game would be pushed back to January. Is that right?

yes.

BDKJMU
December 21st, 2009, 12:40 PM

Hello? Old news- thats been talked about here in countless threads over the last year. xrolleyesx