PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Hauck, is his time up?

09griz
December 19th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Bobby Hauck has done an incredible job at Montana in his 7 years as head coach. However, he has dropped three national championships and has been very vocal about not liking the FCS playoff system. More accurately, he has been publicly heard as preferring the bowl system and so I, now an even further jaded Griz fan, wonder if he isn't searching for a bigger job and, in light of our most recent shortcoming (way to go 'Nova!), should UM be looking for fresh ideas at OC and head coach?

Im thinking Dickenson or Mike VanDiest from Carroll College. The guy has won/been to how many championships at his level? Also Dickenson may be a bit of a pipe dream, but every Griz fan would love to see him come home and coach. What does everyone think?

SpiderSafety75
December 19th, 2009, 06:13 AM
You've got to be kidding, right? :)

Minuteman87
December 19th, 2009, 06:33 AM
good God, gimme a freakin break...

mtbigdog
December 19th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Rumors have been floating around all season,that he wants to move onto bigger and better things.Perhaps now is the right time. He's had a good run, but King George wants more trophys for his office.

jus10asu
December 19th, 2009, 06:41 AM
xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

mtbigdog
December 19th, 2009, 06:44 AM
U of M politics. george dennison is the um prez.

AppStateold299
December 19th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Look how that mentality worked out for Georgia Southern. They had a winning coach that was doing a great job, but they all said what a horrible job he was doing because he didn't win a NC. Yeah!!! That worked out great for them. How many times have they been in the playoffs since? Keep a coach if he is getting you wins. Be proud of being one of the elite programs in all FCS.

asknoquarter21
December 19th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Yea, I think Jerry Moore will be fired.

2 straigt years now with no national title. /sarcasm

mtbigdog
December 19th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I agree toltally,but if a coach isn't content with where he is,he will move on. Montana seems to be a stepping stone for coaches that THINK they can do better. We have a hell of a program no matter who drives the bus! Hope he stays .

kdinva
December 19th, 2009, 08:06 AM
There are about 70 or so 1-AA programs that would love to have Montana's "issues".....xsmhxxcoffeex

DSUrocks07
December 19th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Griz fans are sounding like Eagles fans right now... xwhistlex

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2009, 08:11 AM
There are about 70 or so 1-AA programs that would love to have Montana's "issues".....xsmhxxcoffeex

Just 70?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 19th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Griz fans are sounding like Eagles fans right now... xwhistlex

They have been on Andy Reid's case despite having some success in the past, but at least Hauck has made it to the big one 3 times. xwhistlex

kdinva
December 19th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Just 70?

I am just guessing that there are a lot of programs that have never been to the playoffs, or haven't been in 12-plus years........

JohnStOnge
December 19th, 2009, 08:26 AM

I'd say closer to 120. I do wonder about the sanity of someone who prefers the bowl system, though.

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Montana is an elite program by any definition and Hauck deserves the commendation--the facilities, recruiting, and on-field performance he has built are impressive. In fact, Montana's merchandise royalties were ranked just ahead of Georgetown and the U.S. Military Academy this year, which speaks to the loyalty that program engenders.

Playoffs or not, Montana is a great football program right now.

Monarch History
December 19th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Griz fans should be satisfied with Hauck as long as he doesn't publicly state that he wants out of Montana. He is a good coach who has given Montana many great wins. I can't believe a Griz fan is even talking like this a day after the NC game.

JohnStOnge
December 19th, 2009, 08:43 AM
One difference between Montana and Georgia Southern is that Georgia Southern had a distinct system that had been successful through different coaches. Three different head coaches won national championships at Georgia Southern using that system. Then the Administration decided not only to change coaches but to totally ditch that distinct system.

BEAR
December 19th, 2009, 08:50 AM
He sounds like a great coach, but after watching him last night, he appears to be looking for higher ground. He was joking around with an opposing player in a critical part of the game( sure it showed his friendly personality, but...). Nothing wrong with that, but from a neutral observers viewpoint, he needed to keep his head in the game, focused on calling plays not conversating with a guy from the other team! Let 'em hit Wendys together after the game, until then, focus.....xlolx

Madisonian
December 19th, 2009, 08:50 AM
This thread should be deleted... I know plenty of schools who would be open to picking up Bobby Hauck and only making it to the NC every two years or so. Give me a break, he's obviously a great coach.

JohnStOnge
December 19th, 2009, 08:55 AM
He sounds like a great coach, but after watching him last night, he appears to be looking for higher ground. He was joking around with an opposing player in a critical part of the game( sure it showed his friendly personality, but...). Nothing wrong with that, but from a neutral observers viewpoint, he needed to keep his head in the game, focused on calling plays not conversating with a guy from the other team! Let 'em hit Wendys together after the game, until then, focus.....xlolx

Yeah. Back in the day serious coaches wouldn't do that sort of thing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEVJyf0ft3I

bpcats
December 19th, 2009, 08:56 AM
My impression is that Hauck loves coaching at Montana and will be there as long as he wants. I don't see him taking an FBS job unless it is for a team in a BCS conference.

On the Griz board there are rumors regarding the Las Vegas job and I'm not sure that Bobby is even a front runner versus Franchion, but to me that jump wouldn't make sense unless it was to get more money for his assistants.

mtbigdog
December 19th, 2009, 09:04 AM
If it is true that he is interviewing in LV,what kind of message does it send to your players?Great for a career move. But now we have to break in another one!

Husky4Life
December 19th, 2009, 09:10 AM
By this standard Andy Talley should have been fired years ago for not winning when he had Finneran & Westbrook on his 12-0 regular season team.

MightyMightyGriz
December 19th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Griz fans should be satisfied with Hauck as long as he doesn't publicly state that he wants out of Montana. He is a good coach who has given Montana many great wins. I can't believe a Griz fan is even talking like this a day after the NC game.

The following statement is not generated because of last nights lost. This has been a long time coming:

Bobby Hauck has publicly humiliated his team players on occasions. For example yesterdays quote from Bobby " Wannabe Coach" Hauck, " Well their not the most talented but we are here" Are you freaking kidding me! Not the most talented, Move on Bobby to UNLV where you smile when talked about. See ya, and don't forget to take predictable Phinisee with ya!

If anything, Booby has inspired his team to hate him enough to win. so thanks for that!

Congrats to the Wildcats on your first NC well earned and display it proudly.

Uncle Rico's Clan
December 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I can't believe I am hearing stuff like this. Hauck has 80 wins in seven seasons at Montana. Although he hasn't won the big one he has taken us there 3 times. I would have loved to have had another national championship but complaining about what we have is pretty ridiculous. Also, I would love to see some facts supporting Haucks dislike of the playoff system because I have never seen this, I'm not saying you are wrong, I just haven't seen anything about it.

From what I have heard from quite a few people is that this was most likely Haucks last game as head coach of the Montana Grizzlies. Not because he is being forced out but because he is being looked at hard by UNLV(their AD has a connection to Montana). Also, when its time to look for a new coach I really doubt Davey D(no coaching experience) or Van Diest would be very high on the list. My money would be on someone like Pflugrad, offenseive minded, the OC during the Air Read days.

Griz fans should be happy for what we have, an amazing program.

mtbigdog
December 19th, 2009, 09:25 AM
This has nothing to do with being fired, hes obviously not happy in Missoula. He's a good coach who wants a bigger career. He inherited a strong program from the former head coach which had a good program also. As far as merchandising Griz products,thats part of the problem, it's turned into a big business. money money money

ngineer
December 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Me thinks the Griz have been a bit spoiled...xrolleyesx

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2009, 09:34 AM
You're are a effing idiot if you think Hauk should be done. He's led you to two straight title games but you want him gone. The only things I suggest are scheduling better opponents to get ready for the playoffs and get some tips from Coach Moore on how to beat the CAA.

MightyMightyGriz
December 19th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I can't believe I am hearing stuff like this. Hauck has 80 wins in seven seasons at Montana. Although he hasn't won the big one he has taken us there 3 times. I would have loved to have had another national championship but complaining about what we have is pretty ridiculous. Also, I would love to see some facts supporting Haucks dislike of the playoff system because I have never seen this, I'm not saying you are wrong, I just haven't seen anything about it.

From what I have heard from quite a few people is that this was most likely Haucks last game as head coach of the Montana Grizzlies. Not because he is being forced out but because he is being looked at hard by UNLV(their AD has a connection to Montana). Also, when its time to look for a new coach I really doubt Davey D(no coaching experience) or Van Diest would be very high on the list. My money would be on someone like Pflugrad, offenseive minded, the OC during the Air Read days.

I think VanDiest would do a amazing thing for the Griz program. At least he will treat his team like winners that they are. Carroll Saints Football program I am sure are discussing ways to keep VanDiest but if offered he will move to the Griz. Lots of coaching styles similiar to Glen coaching. My pick is obviously VanDiest.

Mn_Moose
December 19th, 2009, 09:39 AM
he has been publicly heard as preferring the bowl system

I heard Montana was going to be the next addition to the Big 10 conference that should ease their concerns for bowl appearances.

ronpayne
December 19th, 2009, 09:41 AM
xpopcornx

Uncle Rico's Clan
December 19th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Van Diest has done a great job with Carroll but what concerns me is the jump from NAIA to FCS, the transition may be pretty difficult. I like Pflugrad for a few reasons, mainly what the griz did on offense when he was around. I think Paulson could also be a good choice. However, if Bobby is gone I hope O'day opens up his options and takes a look at a variety of coaches. There might be someone, somewhere that could do what Hauck has done, but add a W in the chipper win column.

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I heard Montana was going to be the next addition to the Big 10 conference that should ease their concerns for bowl appearances.Lol, I know you're joking the Big 11 wouldn't add a team from Montana with a 24,000 seat stadium, a little different from Michigan's 107,000 seat stadium.

Mn_Moose
December 19th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Lol, I know you're joking the Big 11 wouldn't add a team from Montana with a 24,000 seat stadium, a little different from Michigan's 107,000 seat stadium.

;) Correct. It kills two birds with one stone
1) we want to get rid of Montana in FCS
2) Big ten will take anybody with a football program

Hellgate60
December 19th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I was expecting to hear stuff like this after the loss but Hauck does not deserved to be fired. You are making Griz fans look like spoiled brats who cry if they don't get their way. Hauck did a great job this season and unfortunately we couldn't win it on. The Griz lost to a great team and there isn't any reason to be ashamed. It's frustrating but I'm proud of the Griz and the seniors and the coaching staff. It's tough to win four games in row come playoff time and only one team can do it.

GOKATS
December 19th, 2009, 11:34 AM

You can hear it in Haucks own words by listening to the link.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/index.php/site/griz_prepping_for_asu

Uncle Rico's Clan
December 19th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the link, i hadn't seen that yet.

Zangzigger
December 19th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I think he'll move if he can get a I-A head coaching position, not a coordinator position.

Libertine
December 19th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Multiple sources are reporting that Hauck will interview with UNLV on Sunday and Dennis Franchione will do the same on Monday. It sounds at the very least like he's a serious candidate.

cougarpines
December 19th, 2009, 12:04 PM
You can hear it in Haucks own words by listening to the link.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/index.php/site/griz_prepping_for_asu

Perhaps it is his lack of success or posturing for the FBS.. He quotes a long season and "acedemic issues". Have they had problems in the classroom.

Proud Griz Man
December 19th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I'd say closer to 120. I do wonder about the sanity of someone who prefers the bowl system, though.

BH's statement, put into context, is directly related to the athlete's perspective, as the Griz played 16 games in 16 weeks in 2008, followed by 16 games in 17 weeks in 2009. It takes a significant toll on the academic performance of the student-athlete, and a significant physical toll on their bodies.
IMO, this will get significantly worse next year with the expanded playoffs. xreadx

And relating to this topic, I hope Bobby Hauck stays at my alma mater and continues to do a spectacular job leading our football program. There are some frustrated Griz fans, but 14-1 is really a great year.

GOKATS
December 19th, 2009, 12:24 PM
BH's statement, put into context, is directly related to the athlete's perspective, as the Griz played 16 games in 16 weeks in 2008, followed by 16 games in 17 weeks in 2009. It takes a significant toll on the academic performance of the student-athlete, and a significant physical toll on their bodies.
IMO, this will get significantly worse next year with the expanded playoffs. xreadx

And relating to this topic, I hope Bobby Hauck stays at my alma mater and continues to do a spectacular job leading our football program. There are some frustrated Griz fans, but 14-1 is really a great year.

The playoff scenario won't get significantly worse next year with the playoff expansion. The top 12 seeds will get a bye the first week, the bottom 8 seeds will play to decide the 16 team format for the rest of the playoffs. If anything it'll make it a bit easier on the players because most teams will get a week off between the end of the regular season and their next game.

JALMOND
December 19th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Bobby Hauck has done an incredible job at Montana in his 7 years as head coach. However, he has dropped three national championships and has been very vocal about not liking the FCS playoff system. More accurately, he has been publicly heard as preferring the bowl system and so I, now an even further jaded Griz fan, wonder if he isn't searching for a bigger job and, in light of our most recent shortcoming (way to go 'Nova!), should UM be looking for fresh ideas at OC and head coach?

Im thinking Dickenson or Mike VanDiest from Carroll College. The guy has won/been to how many championships at his level? Also Dickenson may be a bit of a pipe dream, but every Griz fan would love to see him come home and coach. What does everyone think?

I would love to get a coach with Hauck's credentials and coaching experience in the FCS to Portland State, if Montana is looking to unload him. Before you can win the national championship, you have to get there first. Before you can get there, you need to qualify for the playoffs. Before you can qualify, you have to win. That right there would be enough for the city to get behind us.

Proud Griz Man
December 19th, 2009, 01:18 PM
The playoff scenario won't get significantly worse next year with the playoff expansion. The top 12 seeds will get a bye the first week, the bottom 8 seeds will play to decide the 16 team format for the rest of the playoffs. If anything it'll make it a bit easier on the players because most teams will get a week off between the end of the regular season and their next game.

xeyebrowxxeyebrowxxeyebrowx

You are so significantly dense. Post-season playoff History has shown, it will not impact the Bobcats. Your players are usually home at Thanksgiving.

Take the 2009 playoffs, put into the 2010 scenario. The semifinals would have just been played. Currently, the final two teams would continue practicing for an extra two-three weeks. With that comes significant expenses.

20 playoff Teams still need to practice. That requires equipment managers, lockerroom, stadium staff, etc. to take less/zero vacation time at the Holidays. Lengthier Playoffs require that ticket office people take less/zero vacation time. Players will need athletic training staff and doctors into January. Players will need to be fed throughout December and into January. The list goes on, and on.

All this, so a Patriot league team can get into the playoffs and get spanked in the first round by the 3rd place CAA team.

Grizaholic17
December 19th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Lol, I know you're joking the Big 11 wouldn't add a team from Montana with a 24,000 seat stadium, a little different from Michigan's 107,000 seat stadium.

Pretty sure your cohorts from ASU that came to the semi game said the big house doesn't even compare to WGS. xrolleyesx

Atmosphere is matched...maybe not attendance numbers.

ps, i'm totally kidding

Grizaholic17
December 19th, 2009, 01:28 PM
people don't understand how montana think of hauck

UNH Fanboi
December 19th, 2009, 02:04 PM
All this, so a NEC team can get into the playoffs and get spanked in the first round by the 5th place CAA team.

A couple of minor corrections, but otherwise I agree.

uofmman1122
December 19th, 2009, 02:04 PM
people don't understand how montana think of hauckIf by "Montana" you mean a few spoiled Montana fans.

I'm a Montana fan, and I don't want Hauck going anywhere. I'd rather he make the title game 3 times and lose all three, than never make it at all. xpeacex

mtbigdog
December 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hauck has been a good coach for Missoula,has a darn good record. Hope he sticks around. But if he does move on, do we have any legit prospects from MONTANA ? Does that make us spoiled?

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Multiple sources are reporting that Hauck will interview with UNLV on Sunday and Dennis Franchione will do the same on Monday. It sounds at the very least like he's a serious candidate.I think I would still rather be at Montana. The only thing that would pull me from Montana to UNLV is the weather.

I Bleed Purple
December 19th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Man, I bet Alpha is having a field day at egriz.

srgrizizen
December 19th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I think it is obscene that coaches get paid so much more more than faculty*, but they do not have tenure (I think the Montana Board of regents forbids contracts longer than one year), and coaches as successful as Hauck are going to have the opportunity to earn much, much more than he does at UM. He might feel he owes it to his family to seize one of those opportunities, even if he loves his situation at UM in all other respects.

*However, as I remember, Babe Ruth was once asked if he was embarrassed to be earning more than President Coolidge and answered, "Yeah, but I also had a better year!" xsmiley_wix

GOKATS
December 19th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I think it is obscene that coaches get paid so much more more than faculty*, but they do not have tenure (I think the Montana Board of regents forbids contracts longer than one year), and coaches as successful as Hauck are going to have the opportunity to earn much, much more than he does at UM. He might feel he owes it to his family to seize one of those opportunities, even if he loves his situation at UM in all other respects.

*However, as I remember, Babe Ruth was once asked if he was embarrassed to be earning more than President Coolidge and answered, "Yeah, but I also had a better year!" xsmiley_wix

Coaches in Montana can be signed for up to three years.

Sir William
December 19th, 2009, 06:32 PM

Tell ya what...we'll trade you guys Bobby Lamb for Hauck. xnodx

That way, we might get back to the championship game one day.

clawman
December 19th, 2009, 09:56 PM
The following statement is not generated because of last nights lost. This has been a long time coming:

Bobby Hauck has publicly humiliated his team players on occasions. For example yesterdays quote from Bobby " Wannabe Coach" Hauck, " Well their not the most talented but we are here" Are you freaking kidding me! Not the most talented, Move on Bobby to UNLV where you smile when talked about. See ya, and don't forget to take predictable Phinisee with ya!

If anything, Booby has inspired his team to hate him enough to win. so thanks for that!

You can read what you want into the stmt but I highly doubt Hauck was slamming his players but in fact complimenting them for their strong work ethic by playing above their talent level. I would agree this is not the most talented team he has had while there. They should have had at least 2 if not 3 losses this year. If that were the case they would not have had home field advantage throughout the playoffs and probably would have been beaten first or second round.
It appears the so called Griz FANS here are unappreciative sniveling brats. It is highly doubtful that either would turn down a huge pay increase if given the opportunity.
Get a life!!xnonox

Grizaholic17
December 19th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Man, I bet Alpha is having a field day at egriz.

Oh boy...he's a waste of good webpage...seriously

CollegeSportsInfo
December 19th, 2009, 11:39 PM

It's a 2 man race for the UNLV job and Hauck is the front runner

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 19th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Is this thread a spoof? Must be slow times in FCS now that the title game is over.

Torgo
December 20th, 2009, 04:14 AM
It's a 2 man race for the UNLV job and Hauck is the front runner

I'm still trying to figure out how that would be a promotion. Well, money...guess that's good enough.

UNLV is going nowhere, even with a good coach. They may win one or two more games a year than now but there's just not a lot of positives with that program.

I don't want Hauck gone because he is a damn good coach, but 0-3 in the championship hurts. The fact he keeps getting us there no one can complain about though. He's just got that onus on him that has followed many other great coaches before him...I just hope he finally gets that ring.

If he goes it definitely has to be on his own accord. Don't fire him, don't let his contract lapse without at least offering one...if he wants to go to UNLV, so be it...congrats on the raise I guess. If he moves on I won't be crying...I'm sure we'll be able to replace him reasonably well. We've done well in the past replacing coaches and I doubt that will change now. If he stays, even better.

Ronbo
December 20th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Two reasons Hauck might take the UNLV job. Similar to Kelly taking the Central Michigan and Cinncinatti jobs.

1. The UNLV job wil pay $500,000 more than he gets now.
2. Go in and turn them around and in 3-5 years depending on contract length you get a Pac 10 gig and get 1.5 to 2 million a year.

clawman
December 20th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how that would be a promotion. Well, money...guess that's good enough.

UNLV is going nowhere, even with a good coach. They may win one or two more games a year than now but there's just not a lot of positives with that program.

I don't want Hauck gone because he is a damn good coach, but 0-3 in the championship hurts. The fact he keeps getting us there no one can complain about though. He's just got that onus on him that has followed many other great coaches before him...I just hope he finally gets that ring.

If he goes it definitely has to be on his own accord. Don't fire him, don't let his contract lapse without at least offering one...if he wants to go to UNLV, so be it...congrats on the raise I guess. If he moves on I won't be crying...I'm sure we'll be able to replace him reasonably well. We've done well in the past replacing coaches and I doubt that will change now. If he stays, even better.

I once heard John Robinson talk when he was the head coach at UNLV and he mentioned how tough recruiting was because "what mom wants to see their 18 year old son go off to college in Las Vegas??"

MightyMightyGriz
December 20th, 2009, 10:55 AM
You can read what you want into the stmt but I highly doubt Hauck was slamming his players but in fact complimenting them for their strong work ethic by playing above their talent level. I would agree this is not the most talented team he has had while there. They should have had at least 2 if not 3 losses this year. If that were the case they would not have had home field advantage throughout the playoffs and probably would have been beaten first or second round.
It appears the so called Griz FANS here are unappreciative sniveling brats. It is highly doubtful that either would turn down a huge pay increase if given the opportunity.
Get a life!!xnonox

Wow, what is with the sniveling brats band wagon so many have jumped on? I just don't think Bobby is all that and a slice of bread like some do. With so many of the snide comments he has said about his team and teams before. Team members talk and in a small community word travels. I know you can't believe everything you hear, but when that's the majority of hearing, well, you know, just saying. Sniveling, Really, Come on!!!!!!!

clawman
December 20th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Wow, what is with the sniveling brats band wagon so many have jumped on? I just don't think Bobby is all that and a slice of bread like some do. With so many of the snide comments he has said about his team and teams before. Team members talk and in a small community word travels. I know you can't believe everything you hear, but when that's the majority of hearing, well, you know, just saying. Sniveling, Really, Come on!!!!!!!

It is a lot easier to buy into negativity than to see that the glass half full not half empty. Most fans see what happens in the game and overlook all that goes on behind the scenes. The most important part of a HC's duties are to develop staff, maintain positive environment and winning attitude. Fans do not see this but it is the difference between a winning and an average program. Because Hauck may have said something that was taken in a negative context should not minimize the program that can only be described as "Grizz football". People who as speculating that he may be fired do not realize how good they have it.
There are many football facilities in FCS that only have 5-10k fans on a given weekend and that could happen in Montana. Don't take what you have for granted as it is not automatic.

CFallsGriz
December 20th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Van Diest has done a great job with Carroll but what concerns me is the jump from NAIA to FCS, the transition may be pretty difficult. I like Pflugrad for a few reasons, mainly what the griz did on offense when he was around. I think Paulson could also be a good choice. However, if Bobby is gone I hope O'day opens up his options and takes a look at a variety of coaches. There might be someone, somewhere that could do what Hauck has done, but add a W in the chipper win column.

I disagree tht the jump would be "pretty difficult." Not that he is the be all- end all candidate, I just think that the transition from one good Mt college program to another is less about NAIA v FCS, and more about ability and will to win consistently , and commitment to the institution and the sport- both of which you have in MV.

I think Pflugrad would also be a great choice, and VERY offensive-minded as stated. Between Mike and Robin, I think you have to look very hard. But to DQ the guy due to his NAIA background is naiive, IMO.

Wait a minute though--doesn't BH still occupy the front office...??

CFallsGriz
December 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM
It is a lot easier to buy into negativity than to see that the glass half full not half empty. Most fans see what happens in the game and overlook all that goes on behind the scenes. The most important part of a HC's duties are to develop staff, maintain positive environment and winning attitude. Fans do not see this but it is the difference between a winning and an average program. Because Hauck may have said something that was taken in a negative context should not minimize the program that can only be described as "Grizz football". People who as speculating that he may be fired do not realize how good they have it.
There are many football facilities in FCS that only have 5-10k fans on a given weekend and that could happen in Montana. Don't take what you have for granted as it is not automatic.

No it could not happen. Not that the winning seasons can go on indefinitely, but if you think that attendance will drop off that much due to a down year or two, then I say that you do not understand the program OR the fans, OR the state of Montana in general.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 20th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Two reasons Hauck might take the UNLV job. Similar to Kelly taking the Central Michigan and Cinncinatti jobs.

2. Go in and turn them around and in 3-5 years depending on contract length you get a Pac 10 gig and get 1.5 to 2 million a year.

Now, finally, thanks to Ronbo, here's a discussion that makes a lot of sense. To confirm, just ask Chip Kelly what jumping to FBS can do for you and your pocketbook, .....xthumbsupx

SpidersSportsEditor
December 20th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Now, finally, thanks to Ronbo, here's a discussion that makes a lot of sense. To confirm, just ask Chip Kelly what jumping to FBS can do for you and your pocketbook, .....xthumbsupx

Or Mike London. Cash is king.

uofmman1122
December 20th, 2009, 08:29 PM

2. Go in and turn them around and in 3-5 years depending on contract length you get a Pac 10 gig and get 1.5 to 2 million a year.See, that's what's scary.

I really hope he doesn't leave. Would hate for Griz nation to get all gung-ho about him leaving, only to have another guy come in and lead us to a 3-8 season. Even if you have amazing players, like we do, a crappy coach can come in and guide them to a sub-.500 season. :(

Squealofthepig
December 20th, 2009, 11:09 PM
First, I don't think there are that many Griz fans really angry/unsatisfied/grumpy about Hauck. A few of us - myself included - will point to a few issues we have (e.g., the whole Missoulian issue), but that is not tantamount to saying something like, he should go!

Hauck has done a great job at an outstanding program; I think all but the most... err, overzealous Griz fans at the start of the season would have expected a 15-0 NC team... coming up 14-1 and losing honestly to a better team in Villanova (or at the very least, to a die-hard Griz fan, a better Villanova team in the second half who made better adjustments) is still better than most expected. And Hauck should be commended for that. Plus, without Hauck's success, Montana law would not have been changed to allow for multi-year contracts for head football coaches.

However, I also agree with Ronbo - one still has to look out for number one, and I could see Hauck taking a gamble at turning around a UNLV-type program in the hopes of getting a solid FBS head coaching job. He can really only go down from here, absent a national championship or two, and prudence would suggest he jumps ship to another program. That's not sour apples, that's not me wanting him out in hopes of someone better - it's just a hard look at a successful program and a successful coach.

What I personally DON'T want to see Montana do is become another Nebraska - after Osbourne left that great program, they fired their next coach after, what, an 11-3 season and saying they expected better? Such expectations are not only unrealistic, they ensure that good coaches will look elsewhere to prove themselves, as the risk is much greater than any potential reward.

And as others have said - many, many programs would be jealous of Montana's "problems" - how could they only win 119 games in 2000-09? :)

Grizaholic17
December 20th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I actually was just chatting with a lot of my family members who are the upper class of Griz fans. The general theme in the discussion at breakfast today was that Bobby Hauck has made a rut of the program. I agreed with some of the points. His recruiting has truly been superb in many respects, but there are some definite criminals on the team. I have met and talked with many members of this team, and have seen them out on the town, and witnessed the scene (not directly) at the party that caused so much grief. Some of these individuals have caused the program more harm than foul. Plus we all agreed that he embarrassed the school with his "silence" to the student newspaper. These little things bugged me and my entire family that encompasses about 35 people.

He is truly a terriffic coach, but you have to do the program good overall, and bringing in some of these players is questionable...many have ended up having a criminal record.

putter
December 20th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Saying Hauck will be fired is just stupid. Bobby will leave if/when that FBS job opens up that he thinks will be best for he, his family and coaches. funny how people bash Bobby for what he has done as he loves the school and what it's program stands for. Some Griz fans love Joe Glenn because he won a NC but really, he wanted to get the hell out of dodge to he FBS....and stayed a whole 3 years while Bobby has been here for 7.

uofmman1122
December 21st, 2009, 12:58 AM
I actually was just chatting with a lot of my family members who are the upper class of Griz fans.Woah, what?!

We have "classes" of Griz fans now?

WTF are you talking about? xeyebrowx

Silenoz
December 21st, 2009, 01:52 AM
I don't care if he leaves one way or another. Change could be good or bad, and at least if it's bad I may have the opportunity to upgrade my season tickets.

TokyoGriz
December 21st, 2009, 03:00 AM
I truly hope Bobby leaves this year.

Hes been a good coach. Some think hes great.... I think hes pretty good but not great. IMO his not being able to win a NC having been in it 3 times the last decade is a pretty good sign of his upper limits. Theres other variables I realize in a game one person is not the begging nor end of the problem really. But I think he squandered a couple of our great teams in the NC with real shoddy coaching by his staff. Since he is the head of the coaching staff I take him to account on it.

On the other side a fresh breeze is really what we need in Montana. Our program will draw the top recruits for new coaches, at least at FCS level. Montanas great histroy of success both during AND BEFORE the BH era also will keep the recruits coming in. Any halfway decent coach with good skills could lead the average montana team every year to a good deal of success.

Hopefully Big Game Bob will go to UNLV next year so we can have a fair chance in the NC. xsmiley_wix The success we have had this year came purely from the sheer will of the players not from some great coaching from BH and co.

uofmman1122
December 21st, 2009, 08:52 PM
I truly hope Bobby leaves this year.

Hes been a good coach. Some think hes great.... I think hes pretty good but not great. IMO his not being able to win a NC having been in it 3 times the last decade is a pretty good sign of his upper limits. Theres other variables I realize in a game one person is not the begging nor end of the problem really. But I think he squandered a couple of our great teams in the NC with real shoddy coaching by his staff. Since he is the head of the coaching staff I take him to account on it.Any coach that leads his team to three National Championships, regardless of the outcomes, is a great coach. Name me another coach currently in FCS besides Jerry Moore who has done that.

On the other side a fresh breeze is really what we need in Montana. Our program will draw the top recruits for new coaches, at least at FCS level. Montanas great histroy of success both during AND BEFORE the BH era also will keep the recruits coming in. Any halfway decent coach with good skills could lead the average montana team every year to a good deal of success.You could have said the same thing about Georgia Southern. Look where they are now, or at least have been for the past 5 or 6 years. xcoffeex

Hopefully Big Game Bob will go to UNLV next year so we can have a fair chance in the NC. xsmiley_wix The success we have had this year came purely from the sheer will of the players not from some great coaching from BH and co.I really get the feeling that a lot of Griz fans feel that we're entitled to win the NC once every couple years, and it really bothers me. If Hauck moves on and we get a coach that leads us to several losing seasons in a row, I'll still support our team 100% and cheer for them like crazy, but I'll turn to everyone now calling for Hauck to be gone and say, "I %$@&ing told you so." xnonono2x

SideLine Shooter
December 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
Why doesn't Montana go ahead and make the jump to FBS and then see how happy everyone is.xnodx

EKUSteve
December 21st, 2009, 09:04 PM
ESPN has him in the running for the UNLV job.

proasu89
December 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM
Woah, what?!

We have "classes" of Griz fans now?

WTF are you talking about? xeyebrowx

Yea, you didn't know because you aren't in their class. If you gotta ask if you're in their class.......well xsmiley_wix

McNeese75
December 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM
Be careful what you ask for. Send Hauck packing and you could experience GSU's nightmare. xnodx

SpidersSportsEditor
December 21st, 2009, 09:30 PM
I really don't know all that much about Montana football, and nothing about it prior to last season, but it seems to me like Hauck leaving wouldn't be that big a deal.

I think the whole Missoulian (sp?) thing was a pretty big deal. A HC should be working with the students however possible, not pissing off the student newspaper. And the whole situation it arose from seems sketchy and based on what I've heard about it, it seems Hauck cared much more about winning than developing classy young men. Not meant to be a shot, just the way I see it from an outside POV.

Second, it seems Montana relies almost exclusively on recruits from the state of Montana. Given the recent domination of Montana State and the rest of the Big Sky, shouldn't a new coach have the right chips to bring in the same type of recruits?

Then, obviously, losing the big one three times may not be a sign of bad coaching, but it certainly isn't a sign of someone who can prepare his team to win when it matters THE MOST. Seems to me like it may be time to move on. Hauck is really the only reason I and some others I know rooted against the Griz.

SpeedkingATL
December 21st, 2009, 09:52 PM

Bingo! And who could blame him for that if his goal is to be the head coach of an FBS/BCS conference team. He's done a heck of a job at Montana.xreadx

49RFootballNow
December 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM
Um.......wonder if he'll want to build a program from the ground out east after his brief stint at UNLV?

TokyoGriz
December 22nd, 2009, 12:39 AM

From what I have heard from quite a few people is that this was most likely Haucks last game as head coach of the Montana Grizzlies. Not because he is being forced out but because he is being looked at hard by UNLV(their AD has a connection to Montana). Also, when its time to look for a new coach I really doubt Davey D(no coaching experience) or Van Diest would be very high on the list.

My money would be on someone like Pflugrad, offenseive minded, the OC during the Air Read days.

YES YES YES!!!!
xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

The Stephen F Austin game reminded me of the good old days! Man that was fun to watch! Well it wasnt as good as the app or sdsu game but fun.

Still rememeber us putting our foot down on peeps running up the score like 71 to 3. xsmiley_wix

But seriously BOBBY BALL is some boring stuff. It is usually effective but if we have a weak defense (bend dont break) like we did this year its just not enough. Lets play to "make the most points" again not BOBBY BALL which always has been "Not to lose" strategy.

Uncle Rico's Clan
December 22nd, 2009, 01:10 AM
With the offensive output during the second half of the SDSU game and the SFA game I was left wondering if Pflugrad was in Bobby's ear a little more than Phenice.

I Bleed Purple
December 22nd, 2009, 01:26 AM
YES YES YES!!!!
xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

The Stephen F Austin game reminded me of the good old days! Man that was fun to watch! Well it wasnt as good as the app or sdsu game but fun.

Still rememeber us putting our foot down on peeps running up the score like 71 to 3. xsmiley_wix

But seriously BOBBY BALL is some boring stuff. It is usually effective but if we have a weak defense (bend dont break) like we did this year its just not enough. Lets play to "make the most points" again not BOBBY BALL which always has been "Not to lose" strategy.

Actually 81-22.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
I think the whole Missoulian (sp?) thing was a pretty big deal. A HC should be working with the students however possible, not pissing off the student newspaper.

I guess I am in the minority when I think he did the right thing on this one. The media feels like they are entitled to print what they want whether it's true, 1/2 true, 1/4 true or just plain garbage.. Accurate and complete are 2 different things and a student newspaper is by far worse than a real paper. Until the media pulls their head out of their collective arses, I won't give them a second thought as to how they feel about being ignored. I'd bet a large sum of money that there are several stories that they could have written about players that are positive, but they choose to ignore those stories. I guess those kinds of stories don't sell ads or papers so they can be ignored........xreadx

Ronbo
December 22nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
The student paper at Montana is a far left rag.xsmhx

SeattleGriz
December 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
I guess I am in the minority when I think he did the right thing on this one. The media feels like they are entitled to print what they want whether it's true, 1/2 true, 1/4 true or just plain garbage.. Accurate and complete are 2 different things and a student newspaper is by far worse than a real paper. Until the media pulls their head out of their collective arses, I won't give them a second thought as to how they feel about being ignored. I'd bet a large sum of money that there are several stories that they could have written about players that are positive, but they choose to ignore those stories. I guess those kinds of stories don't sell ads or papers so they can be ignored........xreadx

The student paper at Montana is a far left rag.xsmhx

Maybe I am wrong here, but wasn't the incident between Bobby and the Kaiman actually resolved beforehand by Bobby, the players involved, and parents?

From what I took reading eGriz, it sounds to me as if a student was lipping off to the football players and got his azz beat down. From the way the student who got the beating acted after the fact, it sure sounded like he felt he deserved the beating.

Once again, I may be wrong because I thought the whole thing was blown way out of proportion, and really didn't pay attention.

Silenoz
December 22nd, 2009, 11:37 AM
Actually 81-22.

There were many blowouts in that range

GOKATS
December 22nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hauck is back in Vagas today for a 2nd interview, chances are pretty good he'll be named the new coach at UNLV today.

http://www.lvrj.com/blogs/unlv_sports/Montana_football_coach_Bobby_Hauck_to_return_for_s econd_interview.html

mcveyrl
December 22nd, 2009, 12:40 PM
Hauck is back in Vagas today for a 2nd interview, chances are pretty good he'll be named the new coach at UNLV today.

http://www.lvrj.com/blogs/unlv_sports/Montana_football_coach_Bobby_Hauck_to_return_for_s econd_interview.html

FootballCoachScoop.com is reporting that Franchione is getting the job.

http://www.footballcoachscoop.com/Scoop.html

UNLV:
FoortballCoachScoop has BREAKING NEWS and the FIRST TO REPORT that Dennis Franchione (fromer Texas A&M Head Coach) will most likely be named the next Head Coach as Athletic Director Jim Livengood is trying to finalize the new Head Coach today for an announcement. According to our sources, an announcement is expected today after finalizing the contract negotiations. Our sources tell us that Livengood is negotiating with both coaches as of early this morning.

But I will say that I consider that a marginally good source, at best. And the "both coaches" statement could be talking about Hauck.

Canyoncat
December 22nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11717447

According to this, Hauck is the new HC at UNLV.

Best of Luck Bob!

CollegeSportsInfo
December 22nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
yeah, it was a 2 man race from the start and finished off that way. Best of luck to Hauck. May you find success that Glenn couldn't when he left Missoula. And i'm sure Montana won't miss a beat.

uofmman1122
December 22nd, 2009, 01:29 PM

According to this, Hauck is the new HC at UNLV.

Best of Luck Bob!

But I will say that I consider that a marginally good source, at best. And the "both coaches" statement could be talking about Hauck.xlolx

Of course they're going to do that. Two news sources "breaking" the story. One of them is going to be right.

I sure hope it's FootballCoachScoop.com. :(

GOKATS
December 22nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Hauck is gone, new HC at UNLV...............

putter
December 22nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
from Las Vegas sun...

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/dec/22/montanas-hauck-coming-back-second-interview-today/

ysubigred
December 22nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
Short answer; YES!

mcveyrl
December 22nd, 2009, 02:53 PM

But I will say that I consider that a marginally good source, at best. And the "both coaches" statement could be talking about Hauck.

xlolx

Wish I would've gotten screenshot. Look at the site now...

VictorG
December 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM

How about that. I heard him speak as well and what I heard him say is that "this team wasn't the most talented team he's had at Montana, other teams had more talent but"......then he said great things about the team.

Funny how people only seem to hear what they want to hear!xrotatehx

uofmman1122
December 23rd, 2009, 02:51 AM
How about that. I heard him speak as well and what I heard him say is that "this team wasn't the most talented team he's had at Montana, other teams had more talent but"......then he said great things about the team.

Funny how people only seem to hear what they want to hear!xrotatehxHad he said, "This team is the most talented team I've ever coached," it'd be a bold-faced lie.

His 2004, 2006 and 2007 teams had more talent, for sure. They just didn't have the same amount of heart as our 2008 and 2009 teams. xnodx

clawman
September 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Get a life!!xnonox
First and goal on the five and settle for a FG. With Hauck on the sideline, Grizzlies win. What do you think now mightymoghtygriz??????