PDA

View Full Version : UConn adds Texas Southern to '10 slate

aceinthehole
December 18th, 2009, 01:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/6480/uconn-adds-texas-southern-to-10-slate

DFW HOYA
December 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Ummm, why?

JMUNJ08
December 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Ummm, why?

They have to keep up with the Jones' in the Big Easy and play FCS opponents that their fan bases have never heard of...xwhistlex

aceinthehole
December 18th, 2009, 01:48 PM
They were desperate for a last minute, easy 'bowl eligible' win.

Texas Southern was shut out by both Rutgers (48-0) and Louisiana-Monroe (58-0) this year.

I'm sure if a PL, NEC, or Ivy team would have "counted" they would have been an option.

GannonFan
December 18th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Seriously, the Big East is running from local, quality FCS competition as much as possible. First Rutgers, and now UConn. Brutal scheduling on their part. xnonono2x

GannonFan
December 18th, 2009, 01:50 PM
They were desperate for a last minute, easy 'bowl eligible' win.

Texas Southern was shut out by both Rutgers (48-0) and Louisiana-Monroe (58-0) this year.

I'm sure if a PL, NEC, or Ivy team would have "counted" they would have been an option.

I'm not quite so sure - you don't see UConn or Rutgers looking to play CAA teams as much. Occassionally, yes, but otherwise they've been looking for the guaranteed counter and the guaranteed W.

aceinthehole
December 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Seriously, the Big East is running from local, quality FCS competition as much as possible. First Rutgers, and now UConn. Brutal scheduling on their part. xnonono2x

Not sure if that is fair in this case. xnonox

AFAIK, every CAA team already has a I-A game scheduled for 2010 - how many are willing to schedule 2?

If regional teams (NEC, PL, or Ivy) "counted," I'd bet they would have been on the schedule.

GannonFan
December 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Not sure if that is fair in this case. xnonox

AFAIK, every CAA team already has a I-A game scheduled for 2010 - how many are willing to schedule 2?

If regional teams (NEC, PL, or Ivy) "counted," I'd bet they would have been on the schedule.

In this case, sure - but that doesn't explain Rutgers scheduling games years in advance that are similar to this.

aceinthehole
December 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I'm not quite so sure - you don't see UConn or Rutgers looking to play CAA teams as much. Occassionally, yes, but otherwise they've been looking for the guaranteed counter and the guaranteed W.

not true. UConn has played/scheduled Maine, URI, Hofstra, NU, UMass.

aceinthehole
December 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
In this case, sure - but that doesn't explain Rutgers scheduling games years in advance that are similar to this.

Yes, Rutgers is another story ... Howard, Norfolk State, etc.

DFW HOYA
December 18th, 2009, 01:57 PM

I doubt it. Georgetown can't get a game with Villanova, much less UConn.

3PeatNation
December 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I doubt it. Georgetown can't get a game with Villanova, much less UConn. Really want a game with Villanova? contribute to another winless season?

DFW HOYA
December 18th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Really want a game with Villanova? contribute to another winless season?

It takes 11 losses, not one. Students would show much more interest in that game than seeing Georgetown play some PL opponents.

aceinthehole
December 18th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I doubt it. Georgetown can't get a game with Villanova, much less UConn.

DFW - You know that's apples and oranges.

UConn will only schedule a "counter," period. I suggested that CCSU run with hat in hand to Storrs and beg and plead for that game in 2010. Bottom line, we're not a counter and they have no interest.

Look Fordham just ANNOUNCED its scholarship intention and they immediatly signed at two I-A games! UConn, Rutgers, Army, Navy, Buffalo etc. need "eligible wins" and the PL will be shut out unless they are deemed eligible.

UNH has won 5 FBS games in a row and they can still find oppopnets!!! The PL fans are stuck in the 1980s - FCS teams are not 'afraid' of PL teams becasue of those losses. PL wins must "count" for bowl status or they will remain on the sidelines.

3PeatNation
December 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM
It takes 11 losses, not one. Students would show much more interest in that game than seeing Georgetown play some PL opponents.
The key word i said CONTRIBUTE, you should look up its defintion if you dont know.

DFW HOYA
December 18th, 2009, 03:53 PM
The key word i said CONTRIBUTE, you should look up its defintion if you dont know.

I got the reference the first time. And one winless season is one too many.

PL wins must "count" for bowl status or they will remain on the sidelines.

If there was a way Georgetown could be a counter, I'd be all for it, but the money simply isn't there for it.

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
If I am not mistaken, Rutgers scheduled Texas Southern late in the game because they got in a schedule pinch and it benefited TSU because Rutgers had to increase the pay day so late in the game...

UConn was not in such dire straits because it is still December, but still...TSU is probably getting $500k at the very least to make that trip, I'd assume. That's a long way from Houston.

Bogus Megapardus
December 18th, 2009, 04:51 PM
PL wins must "count" for bowl status or they will remain on the sidelines.

Depends upon how you interpret "on the sidelines." Shocking as this might seem, there is a methodology to which some subscribe suggesting that Patriot League football not only is adequate, but is worthwhile as is. Doubtless few here, if any, will agree that characterization. In any event, you can deride the Patriot League's lack of taxpayer-supplied "schollies" as unbefitting Division 1 status, but I don't see the NCAA girding up to toss Colgate or Lehigh out of the club just yet. Do you?

aceinthehole
December 18th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Depends upon how you interpret "on the sidelines." Shocking as this might seem, there is a methodology to which some subscribe suggesting that Patriot League football not only is adequate, but is worthwhile as is. Doubtless few here, if any, will agree that characterization. In any event, you can deride the Patriot League's lack of taxpayer-supplied "schollies" as unbefitting Division 1 status, but I don't see the NCAA girding up to toss Colgate or Lehigh out of the club just yet. Do you?

"on the sidelines" was only in reference to PL teams playing I-A teams.