PDA

View Full Version : Fritz Named SHSU Head Coach

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Huntsville Item and Fox 26 are reporting...

Central Missouri head coach Willie Fritz has been named SHSU's new head coach.

Item: http://www.itemonline.com/breakingnews/local_story_352120952.html
Fox 26: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/local/091218-willie-fritz-shsu-coach

More when I have it...

BearsCountry
December 18th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Solid coach with lots of ties to Texas. Central Missouri is a FCS calibar school in D2 IMO, they have a solid athletic program. He should do well for Sam Houston.

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2009, 12:09 PM
WF hired thread on D2 board...

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=29246

Official SHSU release...

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204859791

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I just wanted to highlight a part of what BW said in the release...

"Willie Fritz has coached championship teams at Central Missouri, Blinn, Coffeyville and Sam Houston," Williams said. "He is a proven motivator and recruiter. What impresses me most about his career is his success as a defensive and special teams coach. I've seen Willie on the sideline, in the locker room, breaking down film and on the recruiting trail and know first-hand of his work ethic, enthusiasm, integrity and ability."

Defense and special teams have been concerns over the last few years. BW knows this and put a priority in this in his hiring.

I am interested to see who Fritz brings in as his assistants. The DC may be his biggest hire. ST coach not far behind!

GeauxLions94
December 18th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Willie Fritz named the new head coach at Sam Houston State ... KatFans, what's the mood in Huntsville?

Willie Fritz Hired At Sam Houston State (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204859791)

BEAR
December 18th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Fritz....so many puns..so little time...xlolx It seems there are some disgruntled Kats fans out there.

Sly Fox
December 19th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I'm surprised Berman bothered to scoop such a listless choice. Doesn't exactly inspire much enthusiasm.

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I'm surprised Berman bothered to scoop such a listless choice. Doesn't exactly inspire much enthusiasm.

Berman has a lot of friends in Huntsville, Texas. He does a good job scooping any major news at SHSU.

katstrapper
December 20th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Fritz....so many puns..so little time...xlolx It seems there are some disgruntled Kats fans out there.

Not a popular hire so far...The thing that is just crazy is that they had a chance to hire him 5 years ago, but the excuse was money issues so they hired Whitten instead. To me it makes the AD look like a joke. I think Whitten was hired to make up for a promise that Randelman (former coach) made to Whitten many years ago.

Someone on here says Fritz has many Texas ties? Uh, he has been in Mizzou for the last 13 years. I think recruiting the first couple of years is going to be tough. Fritz better get to work....AND QUICK.xcoffeex

TexasTerror
December 20th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I can understand why people are not happy with Fritz as the choice, but he comes with the unanimous backing of a committee that included two of the most successful coaches in the SLC (Bob Marlin, Mark Johnson), former SHSU head coach Ron Randleman and the two administrators that matter most to athletics (the President and the F.A.R.).

After a further review of the candidates, it is obvious why WF was the selection. Some of the close-minded Bearkat fans who can not take a step back, are not reading between the lines.

WF was hired because of defense and special teams. The AD made sure that was in his statement and we all know that these two issues have been gaping holes for the Bearkats, who were once wildly successful in special teams - starting under WF.

I also think the AD wanted someone who still stick around, but even if you look past that and look at the candidate that filled the need of managing those two gaping holes, you come back to WF.

Phillips is unproven and while an "up and comer", has never been a head coach and never even called plays at UH. He's more of a recruiter. Dickey probably was the second-best option behind Fritz.

Zangzigger
December 20th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I like his ties to the area. Should be good for recruiting.

katstrapper
December 21st, 2009, 05:59 AM
I like his ties to the area. Should be good for recruiting.

What ties? He has been in Missouri for 13 years. He maybe had one kid from Texas on his roster at C. Missouri so I dont know what ties he has in AREA, unless you are talking "good ole boy" network in Huntsville then yes.

Terror, I dont think you need to be calling anyone "close minded".

TexasTerror
December 21st, 2009, 08:15 AM
Terror, I dont think you need to be calling anyone "close minded".

Do not see why not - especially when it takes a lengthy book to explain things to a few of our 'bumpkins' that should not be that difficult to understand. Seems that several decisions were very cut and dry, if one were to step back and take a good look at what's happening (WF hire, PV schedule fiasco, etc).

Guess it's a good thing that President Gaertner raised the admission standards during his tenure!

Sly Fox
December 21st, 2009, 09:29 AM
Berman has a lot of friends in Huntsville, Texas. He does a good job scooping any major news at SHSU.

Mark does his due diligence everywhere in the ADI. For the record, Randy & his weekend guy are Sam alumni and is the only other station who gives the Bearkats the time of day.

TexasTerror
December 21st, 2009, 12:23 PM
Here it is...

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204860593

Straight link to media player...

http://www.gobearkats.com/newMediaPlayer/sl/console.htm?type=vod&oemid=19900

TexasTerror
December 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM
Mark does his due diligence everywhere in the ADI. For the record, Randy & his weekend guy are Sam alumni and is the only other station who gives the Bearkats the time of day.

Adam Clanton - a former SHSU play by play/color commentator on student broadcast plus the Bowers Stadium PA announcer in '05.

TexasTerror
December 21st, 2009, 12:40 PM
Big things said and please note, I am paraphrasing

(On staff/recruiting) - WF went to Austin to watch a ball game over the weekend. He wants to hire guys with local connections and would be "foolish" to not make Texas, particularly HS students #1 priority.

(On area to improve and things that have improved) - WF says he will learn over next few days on what needs to change and what has worked well. Facilities look better. Top weight room in the SLC. Great field house, plenty of changes.

(Offense) - Tailor things to personnel. Need ability to run the football. Not going to run the wishbone. Got to be two-dimensional. Run ball successful, throw the ball. Be diverse and where you can do a lot of things. One year, better ability to run. Maybe the next, have a great QB and can throw the ball.

(Defense) - 4-2-5 defense in the past. Similar defense to what ran during previous time in Huntsville. Tailor to personnel.

(Coaching) - There's a lot of great coaches. Teams that do most of winning have best players. Got to do a great job recruiting. Hit on right guys. WF believes in himself. TX HS recruiting huge. Did not come to be average, came to win football games.

(Building crowd) - Speak to student, go to different places, visit and spread the word. #1 way to increase crowds, win games. Take care of winning aspect more than anything else. Love to have screaming students. Couch potatoes are outstanding. Got to have atmosphere and brand of football that is exciting.

Sly Fox
December 21st, 2009, 02:36 PM
Adam Clanton - a former SHSU play by play/color commentator on student broadcast plus the Bowers Stadium PA announcer in '05.

Adam was our intern-turned-editor at Local 2 when I was working there back in the that day. He recently married and got a bigtime promotion. He's agood guy.

BearsCountry
December 21st, 2009, 04:32 PM
Big things said and please note, I am paraphrasing

(On staff/recruiting) - WF went to Austin to watch a ball game over the weekend. He wants to hire guys with local connections and would be "foolish" to not make Texas, particularly HS students #1 priority.

(On area to improve and things that have improved) - WF says he will learn over next few days on what needs to change and what has worked well. Facilities look better. Top weight room in the SLC. Great field house, plenty of changes.

(Offense) - Tailor things to personnel. Need ability to run the football. Not going to run the wishbone. Got to be two-dimensional. Run ball successful, throw the ball. Be diverse and where you can do a lot of things. One year, better ability to run. Maybe the next, have a great QB and can throw the ball.

(Defense) - 4-2-5 defense in the past. Similar defense to what ran during previous time in Huntsville. Tailor to personnel.

(Coaching) - There's a lot of great coaches. Teams that do most of winning have best players. Got to do a great job recruiting. Hit on right guys. WF believes in himself. TX HS recruiting huge. Did not come to be average, came to win football games.

(Building crowd) - Speak to student, go to different places, visit and spread the word. #1 way to increase crowds, win games. Take care of winning aspect more than anything else. Love to have screaming students. Couch potatoes are outstanding. Got to have atmosphere and brand of football that is exciting.

He did all of those things at UCM expect he wasn't much in recruiting HS kids. Took alot of JUCOs, hit the Texas, California and Kansas JUCOS hard. Central always did have some Texas kids on the team, recruiting TX HS to Missouri in D2 is hard so I wouldn't knock him for that. Central never got over the major hump with him but that is bc the #1 team in their conference - Northwest Missouri is the D2 power in the nation. He will do a great job for Sam Houston State.

TexasTerror
December 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM
Adam was our intern-turned-editor at Local 2 when I was working there back in the that day. He recently married and got a bigtime promotion. He's agood guy.

No question there. I post updates about him on KatFans.com because there are a few of us, particularly those who were RTV majors, that know him.

He did all of those things at UCM expect he wasn't much in recruiting HS kids. Took alot of JUCOs, hit the Texas, California and Kansas JUCOS hard. Central always did have some Texas kids on the team, recruiting TX HS to Missouri in D2 is hard so I wouldn't knock him for that. Central never got over the major hump with him but that is bc the #1 team in their conference - Northwest Missouri is the D2 power in the nation. He will do a great job for Sam Houston State.

If WF is able to recruit the Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas JUCOs to fill holes, he'll be doing something right. SHSU just began to get into OK and KS recently.

As far as high schools, his staff will be crucial. All Kat fans attest to that. That's the next step.