PDA

View Full Version : Armanti Edwards wins 2nd Straight Payton Award

theasushow
December 17th, 2009, 08:27 PM
yay.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 17th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Congrats...well deserved. One of the all-time greats of the league for sure.

Will App. retire number 14 or will he have to accomplish something in the pros to get that?

ASU_Fanatic
December 17th, 2009, 08:28 PM
hoot! hoot! congrats ae

3PeatNation
December 17th, 2009, 08:29 PM

Will App. retire number 14 or will he have to accomplish something in the pros to get that?
14 will be retired soon nothing in the pros will change that

proasu89
December 17th, 2009, 08:29 PM

Feel sure that # will be retired regardless of what happens nextxthumbsupx

theasushow
December 17th, 2009, 08:52 PM
AE by a ton, 431 points to Hudgins 268.

EllsworthGriz
December 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM
It was a true Honor to have seen Armanti Edwards play in Missoula last week. He is the best player I have ever seen in person and that includes Moss and Dickinson. Armanti Edwards deserves this award without question. That was a fun football game, one I will never forget. GO GRIZ

unicat87
December 17th, 2009, 09:03 PM
A well-deserved honor indeed for #14!!! Congrats! -unicat87 :)

Grizo406
December 17th, 2009, 09:08 PM
It was a true Honor to have seen Armanti Edwards play in Missoula last week. He is the best player I have ever seen in person and that includes Moss and Dickinson. Armanti Edwards deserves this award without question. That was a fun football game, one I will never forget. GO GRIZ

Agree completely!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

appstate1998
December 17th, 2009, 09:12 PM
it's been a great pleasure watching Armanti play, but I don't think they should retire his number right away. I mean it took 10 years for Coakley and I'm still one of those guys who think he's still the best to come out of APP

GolfingGriz
December 17th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Well deserved! Clearly FCS's best player the last two years. I was sure he would win after he lost to Montana cause he either wins a title or an MVP award!

appsfan
December 17th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Congrats to Money. I made a special effort to go away games this year to be able to make his career "last longer". xthumbsupx

HLNgriz
December 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM
xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxs mileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

SeattleGriz
December 17th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Congratulations to Armanti Edwards. So very glad I can say I got to see him at least once.

Native
December 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Congrats to Armanti, the Mountaineers and the SOCON.

Well deserved!

theasushow
December 17th, 2009, 09:52 PM
AE= 4 for 4 in chatty.

Grizo406
December 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM
xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

McNeese75
December 18th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Congratulations to Armanti Edwards. So very glad I can say I got to see him at least once.

Here Here xthumbsupx

GrizBowl
December 18th, 2009, 12:54 AM
without a doubt, he has earned it.

th0m
December 18th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Congratulations on such a beast of a player. How will ASU cope with losing him next year?

th0m
December 18th, 2009, 02:28 AM
AE= 4 for 4 in chatty.

What about games at UTC? :p

MarchingMountaineer
December 18th, 2009, 03:18 AM
What about games at UTC? :p

If you mean at the stadium, 4 for 4.

If you mean the team, 2 for 2 at UTC. (4 for 4 overall)

If you mean just the National Championship game, 2 for 2. xnodx
(How many current quarterbacks can say that?)

whoanellie
December 18th, 2009, 05:15 AM
AE by a ton, 431 points to Hudgins 268.

always AE's. Now to be considered as a Payton Finalists is huge a huge honor for T-Mobile and the Elon program. AE could be one of CFL's all time greats. sorry he could not close the deal on a championship season the last two years...it is a team sport.

CamelCityAppFan
December 18th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Congratulations on such a beast of a player. How will ASU cope with losing him next year?

Hopefully, the same way we coped with losing Richie Williams...

appmaj
December 18th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Congrats AE!

asknoquarter21
December 18th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Returning 9 starters on offense and 7 on Defense

Whoever takes over will have a great season. Or we have a JMU type season next year.

Either way it is a set of new expectatons next year. No more NC or Bust

mcveyrl
December 18th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Congrats to a great player, maybe the greatest.

You gotta love the local (Johnson City) news though. I'm at the gym this morning and the TV starts showing AE highlights with the caption:

"Edwards Wins Camp Award"

THEN, the "sportscaster" CALLED it the Walter CAMP award.

BlueHen03
December 18th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Congrats. It was great seeing him on the big stage in 2007, although it came at the cost of my Hens.

AppIAA
December 18th, 2009, 08:58 AM
always AE's. Now to be considered as a Payton Finalists is huge a huge honor for T-Mobile and the Elon program. AE could be one of CFL's all time greats. sorry he could not close the deal on a championship season the last two years...it is a team sport.

Just wondering.. why do you have to try to turn every thread around to be about Elon/Hudgins/Riddle/etc?

And then give a subtle smack at AE.. class act! Lembo teaching you how to do that??

CONGRATS ARMANTI!! YOU ARE THE DEFINITION OF AN APPALACHIAN STUDENT ATHLETE. GRADUATED WITH HONORS IN 3.5 YEARS WHILE BEING DEDICATED TO THE WINNING TRADITION HERE, IMPROVING YOUR ALREADY AMAZING TALENT, BEING HUMBLE, BEING A MAGNIFICENT FATHER AND FAMILY MAN, HELPING THE COMMUNITY WHENEVER POSSIBLE, AND TAKING THE APP NATION ON YOUR SHOULDERS AND BRINGING US TO NEW LEVELS. WE WERE TRULY BLESSED TO HAVE BEEN ABLE TO WATCH A YOUNG MAN LIKE YOURSELF FOR 4 YEARS!!!

CharlestonAppFan
December 18th, 2009, 09:03 AM
it's been a great pleasure watching Armanti play, but I don't think they should retire his number right away. I mean it took 10 years for Coakley and I'm still one of those guys who think he's still the best to come out of APP

That was not because Coakley isn't one of the greatest players to play at App, there were other circumstances that contributed to the prolonging of his jersey being retired. A certain administrator that shall remain nameless burned a bridge with him from what I heard.

I think Cobb will do the right thing (like he did when he reached out to Dexter) and utilize AE's marketability for App's benefit in the coming years. And I'm sure AE will be much obliged to help in anyway he can.

blueballs
December 18th, 2009, 09:03 AM
BEING A MAGNIFICENT FATHER AND FAMILY MAN, !

Huh??? I thought he lived in an off campus house with Brian Quick (where he ran over his foot with the lawnmower)... which also begs the obvious next question: Where did he get the time and money to support a kid when he's a full time student graduating in 3.5 years and playing football? Is he married? Does he live with the mother? Is he paying child support?

CharlestonAppFan
December 18th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Oh, and CONGRATS AE for being a fine student athlete and one of the best players I've ever seen wear a college uniform! xbowx xnodx

AlphaSigMD
December 18th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I kinda wish that people would start giving Armanti a little more credit...xsmiley_wix

He's the only player with 10,000 Passing and 4,000 rushing. The AP article used to the old stat of 9k and 4k.

I officially start a petition (right now) to refer to Armanti as "The Great One" from now on. In your face Wayne Gretzky...what have you done for us lately?!?

AppIAA
December 18th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Huh??? I thought he lived in an off campus house with Brian Quick (where he ran over his foot with the lawnmower)... which also begs the obvious next question: Where did he get the time and money to support a kid when he's a full time student graduating in 3.5 years and playing football? Is he married? Does he live with the mother? Is he paying child support?

First off, what does this have to do with anything I said?
"Huh??? I thought he lived in an off campus house with Brian Quick (where he ran over his foot with the lawnmower)"

"Where did he get the time and money to support a kid when he's a full time student graduating in 3.5 years and playing football? Is he married?"

He worked in the library the entire time he was here.. although, he didn't make much money there, from my understanding, that entire paycheck went to support his little girl. His food, housing, etc. was paid by his scholarship, and anything else he had to pay, he actually took out student loans to pay for.

No, he is not married, but he and his daughters mother are still together. The daughter lives with her mom in SC, but he goes and visits often when he can. Otherwise, they come visit him. He is not a dead beat dad like you seem to be implying..

Bam
December 18th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Congrats AE. Good luck on your future endeavors.

Milo
December 18th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Well done AE!!! ... It has been a pleasure.... 4 Southern Conf. Championships, 2 National Championships, 2 Payton Awards , 10,000 yards passing and 4,000 yards rushing, over 20 school records, led the biggest upset in college football, and to graduate in 3.5 years...

AppIAA
December 18th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Well done AE!!! ... It has been a pleasure.... 4 Southern Conf. Championships, 2 National Championships, 2 Payton Awards , 10,000 yards passing and 4,000 yards rushing, over 60 school records, led the biggest upset in college football, and to graduate in 3.5 years...

Fixed it for you

Waco Kid
December 18th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Well done AE!!! ... It has been a pleasure.... 4 Southern Conf. Championships, 2 National Championships, 2 Payton Awards , 10,000 yards passing and 4,000 yards rushing, over 20 school records, led the biggest upset in college football, and to graduate in 3.5 years...

Just saw he had 64 school records. Is it even possible for one player to get more? WOW!

Waco Kid
December 18th, 2009, 09:32 AM

That because Laney pissed off every player we had whikle he was in charge, and he refused to retire any numbers. Cobb made it a point to reach out to former players when he first got there and we retired 3 numbers in the first 2 years (Hand, Hackett, and Coakley). I'm not big on retiring lots of numbers, but 14 certainly belongs in that group.

Gonzo
December 18th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Congratulations Armanti, I'm glad I got to see him play my Griz before his career was over

jaxstatealum
December 18th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Congrats xsmileyclapx

ashram
December 18th, 2009, 09:37 AM
He definitely deserved it, and I'm definitely glad he's graduating.

mlbowl
December 18th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Congrats AE...xbeerchugx

3PeatNation
December 18th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Armanti and Jerry Moore with the Walter Payton Trophy

KiddBrewer
December 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM
haha here's the link.....since none of you lazy clowns have posted it yetxrolleyesxxlolx:D

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204859610

blueballs
December 18th, 2009, 10:24 AM
First off, what does this have to do with anything I said?
"Huh??? I thought he lived in an off campus house with Brian Quick (where he ran over his foot with the lawnmower)"

"Where did he get the time and money to support a kid when he's a full time student graduating in 3.5 years and playing football? Is he married?"

He worked in the library the entire time he was here.. although, he didn't make much money there, from my understanding, that entire paycheck went to support his little girl. His food, housing, etc. was paid by his scholarship, and anything else he had to pay, he actually took out student loans to pay for.

No, he is not married, but he and his daughters mother are still together. The daughter lives with her mom in SC, but he goes and visits often when he can. Otherwise, they come visit him. He is not a dead beat dad like you seem to be implying..

A family man indeed...

... maybe I'm just old fashioned but I always thought being a 'family man' meant marrying the baby mamma, living in the same household under the same roof and devoting 100% of time and efforts into nurturing the marriage, supporting the family, and raising the child- not sending the baby momma and child to live with her parents in the next state.

Maybe there's a new paradigm I wasn't aware of, so thanks for informing me.

Nevertheless, none of this matters when it comes to his performance on the gridiron. He was one of the all time greats in this division and he deserves all the accolades he gets for his on field performance, which should include having his # retired at App and eventually being inducted into the College Football HOF.

ElonPride
December 18th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Just wondering.. why do you have to try to turn every thread around to be about Elon/Hudgins/Riddle/etc?

And then give a subtle smack at AE.. class act! Lembo teaching you how to do that??

Looks like one of your own fans tried to do that earlier in the thread. Nice try, move on.

Congrats to AE. One heck of a player.

AppIAA
December 18th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Looks like one of your own fans tried to do that earlier in the thread. Nice try, move on.

Congrats to AE. One heck of a player.

All I see is someone saying the differential in votes before WhoaNellie joins in.. I guess he shouldn't have stated Hudgins was second place.. that is rude huh??

Nice try, come again!

AppIAA
December 18th, 2009, 11:40 AM
A family man indeed...

... maybe I'm just old fashioned but I always thought being a 'family man' meant marrying the baby mamma, living in the same household under the same roof and devoting 100% of time and efforts into nurturing the marriage, supporting the family, and raising the child- not sending the baby momma and child to live with her parents in the next state.

Maybe there's a new paradigm I wasn't aware of, so thanks for informing me.

Nevertheless, none of this matters when it comes to his performance on the gridiron. He was one of the all time greats in this division and he deserves all the accolades he gets for his on field performance, which should include having his # retired at App and eventually being inducted into the College Football HOF.

Fair enough.. but FWIW, the reason the child and her mother do no live with Armanti in Boone is because she is going to a school in SC

SpeedkingATL
December 18th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Watching AE for the last 4 years has been an APPsolute gas. At least next year I can still look forward to watching Bobby Lamb melt down at Kidd Brewer and Elon receive their annual attitude adjustment. xlolxxlolx

Congrats AE !!xbeerchugx

srgrizizen
December 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I hope the NFL is not too stupid to utilize AE's talents. Seems like any QB prospect under
6'5"and 230 pounds is automatically suspect.

GannonFan
December 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Armanti and Jerry Moore with the Walter Payton Trophy

Ugh, that's what the trophy looks like? I've never seen it before and didn't realize it was that, unimpressive. For the stature of such an award, I would have thought they could go with better hardware.

AppMan
December 19th, 2009, 11:23 PM
This should have been 3 years in a row as his sophomore year was argueably his best. The biggest year in terms of yards passing and rushing, a win over Michigan, conference title, and national championship. I still don't understand how he didn't win it in '07.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 19th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Congratulations! Well deserved and best of luck. When will we see an AE Award for best FCS QB?

BarefootApp
December 20th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Yeah, 2007 has always been a mystery to me. Jayson was great and deserved it, but what gets me is neither Armanti nor Flacco were even mentioned, much less on the list. The 2007 season will probably be my all-time best college football season as a fan, including watching Michigan go 9-4 and beating Florida in a bowl game the same year we took it to 'em in the big house.

Saint3333
December 20th, 2009, 08:41 AM
This should have been 3 years in a row as his sophomore year was argueably his best. The biggest year in terms of yards passing and rushing, a win over Michigan, conference title, and national championship. I still don't understand how he didn't win it in '07.

I believe he missed three games, I believe you have to play in 75% of the games to be eligible. He wasn't on the ballot.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/payton_2007/voting_07.htm

AppMan
December 20th, 2009, 11:19 PM
12 of 15 games is 80%.

gn54549
December 21st, 2009, 12:43 AM
12 of 15 games is 80%.

only regular season games count, as voting is done before playoffs. he did not play in enough games to be eligible.

i hate it too, because despite the amazing year foster put up, armanti basically did what foster did on the ground plus way more in the passing game...and in the same number of games played (when you sub the 4 playoff games armanti played for the 4 he missed during the regular season). he definitely deserved it if he had been eligible. and gaso fans, don't think i'm knocking foster - he had a phenomenal year and deserved the award. i'm glad bvg kept us from having to face him more than we did.

regardless, ae being the only 2-time winner of the award and one of the greatest players in college football history isn't too shabby!

CID1990
December 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM
Congrats to AE. Enjoyed watching him play these last four years.

ysubigred
December 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
If you mean at the stadium, 4 for 4.

If you mean the team, 2 for 2 at UTC. (4 for 4 overall)

If you mean just the National Championship game, 2 for 2. xnodx
(How many current quarterbacks can say that?)

Mark Brumgard Youngstown State (not current) but 2 for 2 xbowx

DX Man
December 22nd, 2009, 06:10 AM
Congratulations AExthumbsupx

maristdb89
December 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Congrats!!! Looking forward to seeing him on Sundays

State Line Liquors
December 22nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Cheers to AE's tailor on getting him one of the finest looking, most professional suits I've ever seen worn.

He's won the award deservingly. He's a fine player and young man. He's got all the hardware.

For the sake of his adoring fanbase, and for the sake of the person who has to fill his shoes on the ASU roster, can we now move on?

Hoyadestroya85
December 22nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
They should have retired his number on senior day just like Virginia did with Chris Long.