PDA

View Full Version : Goin' South?

Mountain Panther
December 25th, 2005, 09:50 AM
It would be unfortunate if we lose these guys, but I like Farley's comments below in BOLD.

CEDAR FALLS — New Missouri State head football coach Terry Allen has contacted three University of Northern Iowa assistant coaches about joining his staff in Springfield, Mo.

Allen called Panther head coach Mark Farley earlier this week and told him he planned to court defensive coordinator D.J. Vokolek, offensive coordinator and associate head coach Bill Salmon and secondary coach Rob Bolks. Farley said all three have talked to Allen. He hoped to know Monday or Tuesday if any or all three would be leaving UNI.

“It’s the price of winning,” said Farley. “People are always interested in your coaches. And it’s no secret that Missouri State has always wanted to emulate what Northern Iowa has done with its football program.”

In fact, Allen is the latest in a long line of former Panthers coaxed to Missouri State. The Bears once tried to hire coach Darrell Mudra and were successful in hiring former UNI players Mark Caballero, Courtney Messingham and Rick Nelson as assistants.

Meanwhile, Salmon coached under Allen at UNI and Kansas, and Bolks was also an assistant at Kansas. Vokolek is Allen’s nephew.

While Farley doesn’t relish the idea of losing three valuable assistants from a staff that led UNI to its first national championship game this season, he said the program will continue to grow.

“I will do everything in my power to make sure we continue down that national championship path because that’s what we came here to do,” he said.

jonsoup
December 25th, 2005, 10:32 AM
I can't see Salmon leaving UNI unless more money is for him. Thanks for the update. :bang:

igo4uni
December 25th, 2005, 07:46 PM
It will be really weird when T.A. comes to the Fabulous UNI-Dome coaching against the Panthers. I wish him luck, but I will always root for the Panthers.

PantherMan
December 26th, 2005, 12:07 AM
It will be really weird when T.A. comes to the Fabulous UNI-Dome coaching against the Panthers. I wish him luck, but I will always root for the Panthers.

He won't want to come back any time soon after he visits during 2006 Homecoming festivities... Adding the loss to them this year without Sanders, the rivalry with SMS (now MSU), the relationship with TA, the momentum this team will have going into next season, and Homecoming after playing for the National Championship (sellout?!); and TA is in for a rude welcoming back... :beerchug: :eek:

W. DeMontague
December 26th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Well, it won't be a lateral move. Missouri State is a drop below. So they'll only move if the money's better.

Then again the quality of life issue comes into play as well.

Springfield, MO versus Cedar Falls, IA. http://media.theinsiders.com/Media/Other/229031_confused2.GIF

Especially for the coaches with families.

crunifan
December 26th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Springfield, MO versus Cedar Falls, IA. http://media.theinsiders.com/Media/Other/229031_confused2.GIF

Yeah, no kidding, who would choose Springfield over Cedar Falls? :p