PDA

View Full Version : Delaware trims athletic plans

UncleSam
December 17th, 2009, 05:55 AM
University of Delaware scales back plans for athletic facilities
Training center still top priority
By KEVIN TRESOLINI • The News Journal • December 17, 2009

NEWARK -- One year ago this month, the University of Delaware announced a grand plan for a completely redesigned athletic campus.

It would have started with a new athletic performance center for sports medicine, athletic training, strength and conditioning, and academic enrichment purposes, constructed at the corner of South College Avenue and Del. 4.
A dreamy new football stadium also was part of the concept.
But this week, Bernard Muir, who became athletic director in July, revealed the first steps of what he considers a more attainable and economically sensible solution to UD's needs.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20091217/SPORTS07/912170358/1028/UD-scales-back-plans-for-athletic-facilities

superman7515
December 17th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Just got done reading it. Sounds like a big disappointment. So much for the people who were coming on the last few days saying that within 5 years UD would be back ahead of the pack. While it may be an upgrade over what is currently there, it's certainly not putting UD anywhere near the top in the CAA.

DSUrocks07
December 17th, 2009, 06:38 AM
and so it begins...

State Line Liquors
December 17th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Realistic thinking by Muir is absolutely welcome. xbowx

I just wonder how many press releases they'll make about all this before they put a shovel in the ground? Or how many press releases they'll make before they let the public know how much they'd need to raise?

Give the average fan an idea of what kind of help they need. Give us an option to buy a brick or something. Just stop stringing us along. Please!!!

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 17th, 2009, 07:07 AM
See, this is why you're being moved to the northxlolx

bluehenbillk
December 17th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I'm a fan of increasing the capacity to the expected 25K-27K range.

I'm a fan of suites & a nice-looking press box.

I'm not a fan of the lack of commitment or vision to establish a timeline. Muir & Harker have to stop talking the talk & walk the walk.

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I like this approach so long as it's not a long drawn out process. I don't think we need a new stadium and the ideas that were mentioned sound great. I would like to see some sort of graphic presentation as to what it will look like.

I agree with you State Line...I wish they would just tell us what they need so I can send the check in.

I know I was excited last year...I still am right now...but...

mcveyrl
December 17th, 2009, 08:15 AM
This seems like a reasonable scale back of the initial plans. You're still going to get the big perks: new APC and boxes, with a little bit of expansion.

Dane96
December 17th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I'm a fan of increasing the capacity to the expected 25K-27K range.

I'm a fan of suites & a nice-looking press box.

I'm not a fan of the lack of commitment or vision to establish a timeline. Muir & Harker have to stop talking the talk & walk the walk.

Welcome to the world of UALBANY football. I am sure you remember when Danefan and I posted the unreal new facilities we were getting (12k seat stadium- expandable to 30k-, new offices, training rooms, etc.).

We were barely a pen stroke away before it was killed in a last minute deal in the Senate.

Now...we are off to a much more scaled down version of Plan B ($4m a year at 4 years phased in is the rumor).

I feel your pain.

93henfan
December 17th, 2009, 08:33 AM
"We wouldn't have to touch the grandstand. Just make a complete, separate structure"

Translation: We don't give a **** about the average Joe.

Delaware Stadium is 100% bench seating and the seats were based on 1954 rear end widths. There is precisely one entry portal for each section, which hold well over 1,000 people each. The portals are at the bottom of the stadium, so people in for example row 40 (NN) have a nice stairclimber session to get to their seats and have to wait ten minutes at the end of a game for everyone to clear out before they can leave.

I'll be "scaling back" my UDAF donation this year for sure to match the "scaling back" of the pie in the sky they fed us last year.

Bam
December 17th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Hit up those high profile alumni (i.e.- Mr. Flacco) for funds. EKU now has The Chad Bratzke Student-Athlete Academic Success Center.

Named after Chad Bratzke, the former EKU All-American and Indianapolis Colts’ defensive lineman whose generous donation helped make the center possible, the Bratzke Center meets the needs of current EKU student-athletes. The 3,000-square foot Bratzke Center includes a tutoring center, a 27-station computer lab, an academic advising office suite, a teaching classroom and quiet study area.

aust42
December 17th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I've said all along that we don't need a new stadium, all we need is a new Press Box. Delaware stadium is still one of the top stadiums in 1AA and with a new Press Box and Suites it will be remain that way.

State Line Liquors
December 17th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Translation: We don't give a **** about the average Joe.

Delaware Stadium is 100% bench seating and the seats were based on 1954 rear end widths. There is precisely one entry portal for each section, which hold well over 1,000 people each. The portals are at the bottom of the stadium, so people in for example row 40 (NN) have a nice stairclimber session to get to their seats and have to wait ten minutes at the end of a game for everyone to clear out before they can leave.

Make no mistake 93. They are planning on making changes to the seating. They will be required to do so in order to make this addition on the building with the other seating. That includes handrails, changes in bleacher formation, and I believe egress from the higher elevations in the stadium down to the ground.

I know someone quite well who was invited in on Homecoming to discuss with Bernie.

Keep the donations coming.

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 08:59 AM
There is nothing more troubling then when the ESPN announcers during the playoff games tell the people at home that there are some high schools that have more advanced press boxes than us. xnonono2x

bluehenbillk
December 17th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Make no mistake 93. They are planning on making changes to the seating. They will be required to do so in order to make this addition on the building with the other seating. That includes handrails, changes in bleacher formation, and I believe egress from the higher elevations in the stadium down to the ground.

I know someone quite well who was invited in on Homecoming to discuss with Bernie.

State Line - Incorrect.

That's exactly why they're building the suites & press box as a free-standing structure. If they built it on to the existing structure, then you're correct, they'd have to adapt the West Stands to be up to current ADA code. They're not doing this so they don't & most likely won't make changes.

Personally, I love the set-up at the Tub. Granted I sit in Row I and I'm not old enough to have to gripe about climbing up to my seats. But, in terms of how on top of the field you are, I haven't seen a better FCS setup.

93henfan
December 17th, 2009, 11:53 AM

That's not what they said in the article. Reread the quote I referenced. They are planning on building the luxury suites/press area as close to the existing bleachers as possible without touching them, precisely so they can circumvent the need to meet bring the rest of the stadium up to current code (which they'd have to do if they tied in to the existing structure).

EDIT: I see Bill beat me to the exact same comment. And I agree that the sight lines are phenomenal from my seats. I'm in C, JJ. My two gripes are that my dad's knees take a beating (we're going to move down to about I, like you, next year) and it takes forever getting out of there.

bluehenbillk
December 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
That's not what they said in the article. Reread the quote I referenced. They are planning on building the luxury suites/press area as close to the existing bleachers as possible without touching them, precisely so they can circumvent the need to meet bring the rest of the stadium up to current code (which they'd have to do if they tied in to the existing structure).

EDIT: I see Bill beat me to the exact same comment. And I agree that the sight lines are phenomenal from my seats. I'm in C, JJ. My two gripes are that my dad's knees take a beating (we're going to move down to about I, like you, next year) and it takes forever getting out of there.

We're in Ssction C as well, 16 seats spread over 3-4 rows.

State Line Liquors
December 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM
State Line - Incorrect.

That's exactly why they're building the suites & press box as a free-standing structure. If they built it on to the existing structure, then you're correct, they'd have to adapt the West Stands to be up to current ADA code. They're not doing this so they don't & most likely won't make changes.

Personally, I love the set-up at the Tub. Granted I sit in Row I and I'm not old enough to have to gripe about climbing up to my seats. But, in terms of how on top of the field you are, I haven't seen a better FCS setup.

Guys, I'm telling you they are going to be making changes in the bleacher formations in the Tub and are going to be adding handrails and a few other handicapped amenities. By adding the new press box unattached they avoid having to knock the whole thing down. They want to add in some of these accesibility items.

It's not as cut and dry as you're making it out. I'll follow up again with my source though as mine wasn't a first hand conversation w/ Muir.

Wildcat80
December 17th, 2009, 12:21 PM
See, this is why you're being moved to the northxlolx

I especially liked the comparison of your yet to be built press box with what MAINE already has. Keep up with Maine why don't ya??xlolx

Dane96
December 17th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Guys, I'm telling you they are going to be making changes in the bleacher formations in the Tub and are going to be adding handrails and a few other handicapped amenities. By adding the new press box unattached they avoid having to knock the whole thing down. They want to add in some of these accesibility items.

It's not as cut and dry as you're making it out. I'll follow up again with my source though as mine wasn't a first hand conversation w/ Muir.

I dont care what your source...Muir...or the Pope says (and I say that with humor...not to belittle)...but the MINUTE they touch one piece of the current structure and move around even a small piece of it...they will have to outfit the ENTIRE STADIUM as ADA accesible.

That means, sight lines, braille, handrails, etc. This is a regulation that cannot be circumvented by contract.

Trust me on this...the lawyers for UD and the Contractor would **** themselves if they saw plans that had the main structure touched but with no pricing and designs in the contract for a full overhaul.

IT's exactly why ODU didnt mess with their current stadium format by connecting the new facility to the crescents.

State Line Liquors
December 17th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I dont care what your source...Muir...or the Pope says (and I say that with humor...not to belittle)...but the MINUTE they touch one piece of the current structure and move around even a small piece of it...they will have to outfit the ENTIRE STADIUM as ADA accesible.

That means, sight lines, braille, handrails, etc. This is a regulation that cannot be circumvented by contract.

Trust me on this...the lawyers for UD and the Contractor would **** themselves if they saw plans that had the main structure touched but with no pricing and designs in the contract for a full overhaul.

IT's exactly why ODU didnt mess with their current stadium format by connecting the new facility to the crescents.

I am telling you that the athletic director, in conversing with people he feels important enough to share the plans with privately, believes that they will be able to bring the building up to these codes without tearing down the existing structure of the stadium. They are dotting I's and crossing T's.

The AD was asked, and the response was different than what has been heard before. ...shocking as that may sound to all us... Trust me, a double take was made.

MplsBison
December 17th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I don't know if I saw or already commented on this, if it was previously announced.

But I am quite happy to see UD is getting an artificial turf field! :D :D :D

Dane96
December 17th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I am telling you that the athletic director, in conversing with people he feels important enough to share the plans with privately, believes that they will be able to bring the building up to these codes without tearing down the existing structure of the stadium. They are dotting I's and crossing T's.

The AD was asked, and the response was different than what has been heard before. ...shocking as that may sound to all us... Trust me, a double take was made.

The bottom line-- you touch the existing structure with any sort of piece that gets torn down or modified...you have to retrofit the whole thing. IT IS FEDERAL LAW...and if Delaware gets federal funding (which they do) for their school they have to follow ADA code.

He may have been off in what he told your contact...or, unsurprisingly, doesnt know what the lawyers are doing behind the scenes.

GannonFan
December 17th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I don't know if I saw or already commented on this, if it was previously announced.

But I am quite happy to see UD is getting an artificial turf field! :D :D :D

As was always said before - if the stadium was just going to stay football only, it would stay grass. However, the stadium will now be used for football, men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse, and events/concerts. The only way to do that is with the fake stuff. xthumbsupx

MaineGuy
December 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Soon UD will have a facility just as good as what Maine built....10 years ago.

GannonFan
December 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM
As for the plans for UD's facilities, I like this approach. They end up enlcosing the open end of the field with the new support building (weight rooms, meeting rooms, training rooms, etc) and they get the benefit of having that extra space. Plus they can certainly add seating and luxury suites there, ala what ODU did in their endzone.

And then, updating the pressbox and putting luxury suites up there is a great idea as well. Keep it separate from the current stadium and you aren't obligated to make all the ADA upgrades and you end up with something that looks like the top of the home stands at Youngstown St. .

And I like the idea being floated that this would bring the capacity of the stadium, when all is said and done, close to 30k. You could easily fill a 25k seat stadium currently most of the time, so growing to that 30k wouldn't be insurmountable.

And I like the idea of keeping most of the current stadium (i.e. the pitch of the stands, sight lines, etc) the same - it's a fantastic stadium and there isn't a better place, as a spectator, to watch a game anywhere in the CAA and most likely most of the East in terms of FCS. I would assume they could make minor replacements (replace some bleachers with chairbacks, hand rails here and there) that wouldn't trigger the ADA compliance as you could make them replacements in kind (seats for seats). There are ways to tweak things around that issue.

All in all, this is at least promising that something can happen, even in this economic environment. All we need now is some big donor and a starting time. Hopefully that is worked out by the Fall or people will get antsy again.

GannonFan
December 17th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Soon UD will have a facility just as good as what Maine built....10 years ago.

Yeah, I'm sure a current recruit who takes visits to both places ends up thinking "well gosh, the facilities at Maine simply dwarf what they have at UD". xlolx

But I think you photo-shopped that picture - when has Maine ever had that many people in the stands??? xlolx

State Line Liquors
December 17th, 2009, 01:55 PM
The bottom line-- you touch the existing structure with any sort of piece that gets torn down or modified...you have to retrofit the whole thing. IT IS FEDERAL LAW...and if Delaware gets federal funding (which they do) for their school they have to follow ADA code.

He may have been off in what he told your contact...or, unsurprisingly, doesnt know what the lawyers are doing behind the scenes.

Forgive me if I don't grasp your bottom line, since the existing structure is not intended to be torn down, nor are they attaching any additional structure to the existing structure that is being torn down or modified.

Is your implication (maybe not implied) that UD can't remove the metal bleachers from the concrete stucture as they now sit, and bolt in chairback seating into the exact same row?

State Line Liquors
December 17th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I would assume they could make minor replacements (replace some bleachers with chairbacks, hand rails here and there) that wouldn't trigger the ADA compliance as you could make them replacements in kind (seats for seats). There are ways to tweak things around that issue.

This is what I was talking about before Dane started pulling out his legal pad.

henfan
December 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
...the MINUTE they touch one piece of the current structure and move around even a small piece of it...they will have to outfit the ENTIRE STADIUM as ADA accesible.

UD added an affixed handicapped accessible ramp to the Tub's westside grandstand & reconfigured the attached grandstand field boxes and support railings to accomodate wheelchairs in the late '90 without having to implode the entire structure. Perhaps there are allowances made if the main/sole purpose of the upgrade is to bring a facility more into compliance with ADA regs?

WUTNDITWAA
December 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Good news! You all get to keep the pee wall!!!!!!

89Hen
December 17th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I think everyone needs to relax until we see plans. Keeping the steepness of the current stands is great. Closing in the NEZ and adding concrete above the current stadium will keep more noise in, again great. Lets just see the plans before we pass judgement.

Wasn't it Weber maybe that did a free standing building behind one of their sides? Looked pretty good to me. xpeacex

89Hen
December 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Wasn't it Weber maybe that did a free standing building behind one of their sides? Looked pretty good to me. xpeacex

It was...

http://www.weber.edu/WSUImages/WSUToday/ImagesofWSU/2008%20images/skybox.jpg

http://www.campusexplorer.com/media/376x262/media-8590F6AC.jpg

WUTNDITWAA
December 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I think everyone needs to relax until we see plans. Keeping the steepness of the current stands is great. Closing in the NEZ and adding concrete above the current stadium will keep more noise in, again great. Lets just see the plans before we pass judgement.

ASU's new place is a free-standing structure, FWIW.

Ivytalk
December 17th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Many good thoughts in this thread! As the State of Delaware claims to be flat broke, though, it will be interesting to see what ends up getting done.xpeacex

Guess I'd better scoot down to Harrington for some parlay betting.xcoolx

bluehenbillk
December 17th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Good news! You all get to keep the pee wall!!!!!!

They know better than to mess with the wall.

GannonFan
December 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Many good thoughts in this thread! As the State of Delaware claims to be flat broke, though, it will be interesting to see what ends up getting done.xpeacex

Guess I'd better scoot down to Harrington for some parlay betting.xcoolx

I've got no problem with that. There should be enough deep-pocket backers out there to shoulder a lot of the costs, and then I've got no problem with the fans being asked to pick up the rest. Asking the state to finance building luxury suites for a football stadium, any state, just seems wrong.