PDA

View Full Version : W&M gets Mike Paulus!

TheTribeHasSpoken
December 16th, 2009, 09:29 PM
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/spt-paulus-wm-1216,0,1072571.story

Tribe4SF
December 16th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Article this evening in the Daily Press.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/spt-paulus-wm-1216,0,1072571.story

The last time W&M got a transfer QB was in 2000, when Kevin Carty transferred from UNC. He was given a shot, but lost the job to redshirt freshman David Corley. Paulus will have to compete with freshman Brent Caprio, and several other candidates this spring.

ODU12thMan
December 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Damn! Good news for you Bill and Mary Wrens or Griffins or whatever your new nickname will be after caving in to the "change the name" over-sensitive crybabies. Bad news for the rest of us in the CAA and ODU who has to play him at home next year. We will be lucky to win by any more than 10. xsmiley_wix
Go Blue!

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2009, 10:37 PM
The ? is, why is he transferring? I assume its because its unlikely he will ever start at UNC. Now is that more because of he was way overrated in HS (being rated one of the top 10 HS Qbs in the nation) or is it because UNC just signed one of the top rated HS QBs in the nation?

Justin Rascatti transferred to JMU in 04'. He had been a highly touted QB out of HS, although not as touted as Paulus. In 03' at Louisville under the tutelage of Bobby Petrino, he had been #3 on the depth chart in as a rFr behind:
-rSr David Ragone, who ended up being a 3rd round pick Houston Texans in 04'.
-rJr Stefan Lefors, who ended up being a 4th round pick of the Carolina Panthers in 05'

Jan 04' Louisville signed Brian Brohm, who had been on the cover of SI in junior HS, who at the time was rated one of the top 5 HS QBs in the nation by Rivals, who 3 years later was projected as a 1st round pick by some in 07' if he came out early, stayed for his senior year, and ended up being a 2nd round pick of the Green Bay Packers in 08'

Rascatti saw the writing on the wall. After being 3rd string in 03' behind Ragone and Lefors, in 04' he'd likely be 3rd string again as a rSo behind Lefors and Brohm, and then would likely spend his last 2 seasons backing up Brohm. So he decided to transfer to JMU.

Brian Brohm doesn't sign with Lousiville in 04, Rascatti doesn't transfer to JMU, and JMU doesn't win an NC.

So again my question is, did UNC get a committ from one of the top HS QBs in the nation to make Paulus want to transfer?

Zangzigger
December 16th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Is he related to Greg, or is it just coincidence that two Pauluses went to UNC and Duke?

Eagle22
December 16th, 2009, 10:47 PM
So again my question is, did UNC get a committ from one of the top HS QBs in the nation to make Paulus want to transfer?

Either that, or Butch didn't like what he saw when Paulus was on the field.

In the GSU-UNC game, he played a few series and didn't move the team hardly at all, and looked bad doing it.

They put Yates back in even though they had a commanding halftime lead.

Hoyadestroya85
December 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Same story as Joe Flacco at Pitt, the Wannstache liked Tyler Palko better (I don't know why) so Cool Joe transfers to UD and leads them to the national championship game (but he still couldn't beat Villanova.)

'neers80
December 16th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Is he related to Greg, or is it just coincidence that two Pauluses went to UNC and Duke?

brothers.

soccerguy315
December 16th, 2009, 11:00 PM

from the article:

Paulus is the younger brother of former Duke basketball player and one-year Syracuse quarterback Greg Paulus.

Ivytalk
December 17th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Good news for THE TRIBE!!xnodxxthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
December 17th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Mike is also the brother of former Georgetown players Dave, Dan, Chris, and Matt, and last of whom graduated in 2007.

Torgo
December 17th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Same story as Joe Flacco at Pitt, the Wannstache liked Tyler Palko better (I don't know why) so Cool Joe transfers to UD and leads them to the national championship game (but he still couldn't beat Villanova.)

Palko was a GOD in high school and was a local product. He'd shown great flashes and was a major recruit for Pitt. Flacco was basically this unknown kid who had a good camp.

In retrospect it was the wrong choice, but no one expected Flacco to get that job or turn out to be anyone, while Palko was supposed to be the next great Pitt QB...which he was actually doing a good job of until Wannstache came in and changed the playing style, taking away Palko's strengths. He's still the best QB Pitt has had since Marino, which isn't saying a whole lot, but Palko was a good player who got kicked around like every Pitt QB does.

Rekdiver
December 17th, 2009, 05:59 AM
He's not that good..............He couldn't beat out TJ yates..........

appmaj
December 17th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Last year he was "going" to Albany...we will see if this happens

bluehenbillk
December 17th, 2009, 07:09 AM
What this really tells me is Laycock did not believe in Caprio or any other QB he had on the roster for next season. That being said, it's probably a good move for the tribe.

Tribe4SF
December 17th, 2009, 07:49 AM
What this really tells me is Laycock did not believe in Caprio or any other QB he had on the roster for next season. That being said, it's probably a good move for the tribe.

OK, Carnak!

We'll see how this plays out. You're off base on Caprio. Whether he needs another year to develop remains to be seen, but he will provide stiff competition if Paulus transfers. Freshman Michael Graham is also a strong prospect.

JMUNJ08
December 17th, 2009, 08:16 AM
OK, Carnak!

We'll see how this plays out. You're off base on Caprio. Whether he needs another year to develop remains to be seen, but he will provide stiff competition if Paulus transfers. Freshman Michael Graham is also a strong prospect.

Yeah I really see this as insurance for W&M. A guy who has taken snaps at the college level and started a few games. This is a good move if one of the youngsters can't be ready for next year.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 17th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Same as Ingle Martin - recruited by Spurrier to FLA - he left, the new guy went with Chris Leak and Martin left for Furman - Martin was really, really good ---- Yates is not very good, big and slow as is Paulus who had dropped to at least 3rd team - Time to move on for Paulus and from what I have seen from W&M over the last several years is they seem to like to the big QB who can work in the pocket - Paulus should be a good fit ----

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 17th, 2009, 08:35 AM
He's not that good..............He couldn't beat out TJ yates..........

I saw in person what UNC has on the depth chart below Yates...I was underwhelmed.

Tribe4SF
December 17th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Same as Ingle Martin - recruited by Spurrier to FLA - he left, the new guy went with Chris Leak and Martin left for Furman - Martin was really, really good ---- Yates is not very good, big and slow as is Paulus who had dropped to at least 3rd team - Time to move on for Paulus and from what I have seen from W&M over the last several years is they seem to like to the big QB who can work in the pocket - Paulus should be a good fit ----

Actually the mold for W&M QBs has been athletic, and mobile for a long time now. The last slow pocket QB we had was Chris Hakel who finished in '91. Sean Knight, Mike Cook, David Corley, Lang Campbell, Jake Phillips and RJ Archer were all 6'3" or less, under 220, and all had good athleticism.

Dane96
December 17th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Last year he was "going" to Albany...we will see if this happens

Who was "going" to Albany?!?!xeyebrowx

ASU_Fanatic
December 17th, 2009, 09:10 AM
That would be a great pick up for the Tribe.

SpeedkingATL
December 17th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Looks like a good pickup at the right time for W&M. I would guess he would fit into their system very well as has some experience in the ACC. I think the comparison to Flaco is a good one.

nms1987
December 17th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I saw in person what UNC has on the depth chart below Yates...I was underwhelmed.

Paulus did not play in the Georgia Southern game this year.
The reserve you would have seen was freshman Branden Hanson

beachtribe
December 17th, 2009, 10:19 AM
W&M will STIL be the Tribe the mascot wiik not chane tgat! Fir what i's worth, I don't like any of the mascots. Brring back Ebirt

WVAPPmountaineer
December 17th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Actually the mold for W&M QBs has been athletic, and mobile for a long time now. The last slow pocket QB we had was Chris Hakel who finished in '91. Sean Knight, Mike Cook, David Corley, Lang Campbell, Jake Phillips and RJ Archer were all 6'3" or less, under 220, and all had good athleticism.

Didn't mean to insinuate you guys had slow QBs - just that your guys have been more NFL style QBs say as compared to Armanti or Jayson Foster or Eric Ward or even Rodney Landers ----

TribeinDC
December 17th, 2009, 10:21 AM
W&M will STIL be the Tribe the mascot wiik not chane tgat! Fir what i's worth, I don't like any of the mascots. Brring back Ebirt

I think all that sun Beachtribe is starting to be damaging...

beachtribe
December 17th, 2009, 10:21 AM
W&M will STILL be the Tribe the mascot wiil not chane that! Fir what i's worth, I don't like any of the mascots. Bring back Ebirt

Tribe4SF
December 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM
W&M will STILL be the Tribe the mascot wiil not chane that! Fir what i's worth, I don't like any of the mascots. Bring back Ebirt

xlolxGive it another try there, bt! You're gaining on it.

tribe_pride
December 17th, 2009, 11:52 AM

xconfusedx Ebirt was definitely worse than the proposed mascots. That said, if we were to go without a mascot, I'd be just as happy.

Back on topic. Hopefully Paulus pans out. Love the comparisons to Flacco. If that works out, that would be great but lets not put the cart before the horse. Whoever plays QB next year will have that be his first game in Laycock's system. Paulus has experience playing. The other 2 guys competing for the job seem to be strong but haven't played a down yet so you can't tell. Just hoping 1 of the 3 works well.

RookieWill
December 17th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Once you start giving the starting job to I-A xfers, it makes it more difficult to recruit kids out of HS, as they don't want to go to a program where they bust their tail for 2 years, only to be backing up Joe Flacco.

Let's hope that W&M doesn't fall into the "death spiral" of UD quarterbacks - where they NEED to have a D-I xfer, b/c no QB in their right mind will commit out of HS.

Always thought / hoped Richmond, Villanova, William & Mary would stay true to the very rare I-A xfer and not become like Delaware

tribe_pride
December 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Once you start giving the starting job to I-A xfers, it makes it more difficult to recruit kids out of HS, as they don't want to go to a program where they bust their tail for 2 years, only to be backing up Joe Flacco.

Let's hope that W&M doesn't fall into the "death spiral" of UD quarterbacks - where they NEED to have a D-I xfer, b/c no QB in their right mind will commit out of HS.

Always thought / hoped Richmond, Villanova, William & Mary would stay true to the very rare I-A xfer and not become like Delaware

The Tribe rarely has transfers on their teams. The reason it is brought up here is because he is a QB from a BCS school with a family name that everyone knows. As we have discussed on this and the caazone board, Paulus is not the guaranteed starter next year. Last QB transfer we got from I-A (UNC as well) wound up being a backup. Paulus may wind up in the same spot as well.

Wildcat80
December 17th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Good luck keeping up with Delaware & UMass transfers!!

Eight Legger
December 17th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Will they let him play point guard for Duke in his spare time?

Rekdiver
December 17th, 2009, 12:56 PM
People mention transfers like they are "the second coming". I find this not to be the case.......

GannonFan
December 17th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Well, it's not really been a "death spiral". Heck, in KC's 8 years at the helm, we've had a very good to a great level QB in 7 of those years - from Hall to Riccio to Flacco to Devlin, QB has been the least of UD's worries. Granted the Schoenhoft year in '08 was bad, but if you hit on 7 of 8 years that's a pretty good batting average.

And yes, HS kids, top recruits, still committ to UD as QB's, despite popular beliefs that they don't. Who knows, maybe after Devlin's gone in 2011 a HS recruit could start at QB for UD - time will tell.

GannonFan
December 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM
People mention transfers like they are "the second coming". I find this not to be the case.......

It depends which transfers you get. They can very good if you're selective in who you take as transfers. If you just take anyone then yes, you are right, they tend not to meet expectations.

Ivytalk
December 17th, 2009, 02:52 PM

Not a Roman Gabriel in the bunch!

PhoenixMan
December 17th, 2009, 05:52 PM
As a UNC fan I would have rather TJ Yates transfered to W&M, and UNC kept Paulus

HLNgriz
December 17th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Transfers can be a great addition. We got Roper from Oregon and now have a good backup to our Montana boy Selle.

soccerguy315
December 17th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Will they let him play point guard for Duke in his spare time?

maybe they will let him play PG for W&M... though we seem to be getting better at the round ball.

appmaj
December 21st, 2009, 11:54 AM
As a UNC fan I would have rather TJ Yates transfered to W&M, and UNC kept Paulus

I second that!