PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell has preliminary talk with Southern

bluedog
December 15th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Mitchell has preliminary talk with Southern
According to an Associated Press report, Redskins assistant coach Stump Mitchell has had a preliminary telephone interview for Southern University's head coaching job.

Burton Rocks, the agent for Mitchell said Monday his client spoke to Southern and is "honored to be considered a candidate." The Redskins granted Southern AD Greg Lafleur permission to pursue Mitchell, Rocks said.

Stump Mitchell joined the Redskins’ coaching staff in 2008, adding a fresh perspective to the Redskins’ talented group of running backs. He arrived at Redskins Park from the Seattle Seahawks, where he spent the last nine seasons coaching the running backs.

From 2001-07, he coached alongside current Redskins head coach Jim Zorn, who was quarterbacks coach there at the time.

“Stump is an excellent teacher,” Zorn said. “He has been a running back in this league and I’ve gotten the opportunity to know him well during our time together in Seattle. I’ve seen firsthand how he teaches and he is a great addition to our coaching staff.”

Under Mitchell’s tutelage, running back Clinton Portis had his second-best season as a Redskin, rushing for 1,487 yards and nine touchdowns, and catching 28 passes for an additional 218 yards. His rushing yards and total yards both ranked fourth in the NFL for the year, and when Portis rushed for more than 100 yards, as he did six times, the Redskins lost only one game.

In the fourth quarter when ball control is most important, Mitchell’s running game was particularly effective. Portis led the league with 22 fourth-quarter rushing first downs, and was fourth in the league with 378 fourth-quarter rushing yards.SOURCE (http://www.redskins.com/gen/coaches/Stump_Mitchell.jsp)

SU Jag
December 15th, 2009, 12:36 PM
O no! Let him stay is arse where he is now. That 4-28 head coaching record says it all for me.

bluedog
December 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM
O no! Let him stay is arse where he is now. That 4-28 head coaching record says it all for me.

Well I'm not for him or against him but how do you pass over a guy's accomplishments of having help Seattle win five division titles in their franchise history: the 1999 AFC West titles, and the 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007 NFC West titles and the NFC Championship Game once in 2005?

During that time he coach two of the NFL top running back to pro bowls and is respected enough by his peers that he work his way up to assistant head coach.

Doesn't make much sense to me other then maybe people aren't really doing their research.

Dude it was Morgan State, Morgan State still hasn't made a commitment to football. Look at their hires only two coaches ever really won there http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/mideastern/morgan_state/coaching_records.php and Stump wasn't even hired he was promoted because they were to cheap to hire an experience head coach, so they did the next best thing and like any coach trying to get a start he accepted the promotion.

Using that logic Doug williams and a whole bunch of others should have never gotten a job.