PDA

View Full Version : New Impact Players? New QB for next year?

AlphaSigMD
December 14th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Perhaps this is skewed toward the App fans (I don't know too much about our Redshirt Freshman QB for next year) but I thought I'd open it up.

Who do you think will be the "New" impact players on your team next year?

Silenoz
December 14th, 2009, 06:58 PM
WR Aaron Roberts, or so I've heard

PaladinNation
December 14th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Offense for Furman
Chris Forcier QB 6-3 205 JR
Dakota Dozier OT 6-5 285 RSFR
Ryan Culbreath SE 6-4 205 RSFR
sleeper… Josh Hollingsworth QB 6-1 185 RSFR

Defense for Furman
Mitch McGrath ROV 6-2 205 SO
Derrick Murray FS 6-3 190 SO
Aaron Riley DE 6-5 255 SO

ASU_Fanatic
December 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Perhaps this is skewed toward the App fans (I don't know too much about our Redshirt Freshman QB for next year) but I thought I'd open it up.

Who do you think will be the "New" impact players on your team next year?Most people are expecting Jamal Jackson to step in as QB. He's a red-shirt Freshman from Atlanta. Some people think he could be as good as Richie Williams. He's pretty good sized, about 6-3, 185.

B&G
December 14th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Well let's look at it...

QB: Obviously a big hole here. So this would be a good spot for a breakout.
RB: Return Moore, Baker, Radford, Chisholm... tough to crack that group.
WR: Quick, Cline, CoCo, Elder, Frazier... those are some studs. From what I've heard, we have some standouts waiting in the wings.
OL: Return 4 of 5 starters and Daniel Kilgore who has started in the past.
DL: Solid guys at DE but our DT's are ravaged. This is another spot where someone new could contribute.
LB: DJ Smith at OLB and Frazier/Lloyd at Bandit. There is room for someone to step up at MLB with Roman leaving.
DB: Legree, Gainey, McDuffie all return. Someone will have to step up to replace Cortez Gilbert.

So basically we have room for a breakout at QB, one OL, both DT's, MLB and one DB.

Aside from that the glaring omission is punt returner.

JohnStOnge
December 14th, 2009, 08:26 PM
It's kind of an obvious choice but McNeese had two freshman backs this year, one redshirt and one true that each averaged six yards per carry and each has "take it the distance" game breaking ability. Champlain Babin and Javaris Murray.

I'm also hoping wide receiver Bernardo Henry, who also has game breaking speed, finally has a break out year.

Of course there may be people I don't know of. But those are the ones that are known quantities.

ASU_Fanatic
December 14th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I definitely see us with a chance to win 9-10 games next year. Just gonna depend if we get good QB play.

JohnStOnge
December 14th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Oh...on the quarterback question: No idea. However, if McNeese can come up with a decent quarterback the Cowboys should be improved next season because overall it was a very young team. Kind of a year where they were not expected to contend for a conference championship or make the playoffs because they had a bunch of young guys playing significant roles. They did lose all their skill position starters but had underclassmen who pretty much playing time and played well. The quarterback will be very hard to replace and the starting running back was very good especially as a dual threat receiving and rushing. But the offensive line was very young and did a much better job than it was expected to. On defense they only had one senior but 14 freshmen and sophmores on their two deep. They started three freshmen and two sophmores in their secondary. I think they probably made some mistakes but showed promise in terms of athletic ability.

mountaineer_dax
December 14th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Well let's look at it...

WR: Quick, Cline, CoCo, Elder, Frazier... those are some studs. From what I've heard, we have some standouts waiting in the wings.
DL: Solid guys at DE but our DT's are ravaged. This is another spot where someone new could contribute.
LB: DJ Smith at OLB and Frazier/Lloyd at Bandit. There is room for someone to step up at MLB with Roman leaving.
DB: Legree, Gainey, McDuffie all return. Someone will have to step up to replace Cortez Gilbert.

So basically we have room for a breakout at QB, one OL, both DT's, MLB and one DB.

I see Troy Sanders stepping into that role. We have 7 or 8 freshman line back looking to step into jacque's shoes.

KiddBrewer
December 14th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Well let's look at it...

is now a bad time to state rumors ive heard?xcoffeex

AppGrad
December 15th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Meh

lionsrking2
December 15th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Most of our impact guys are back, on both sides of the ball, but of the guys coming back who weren't starters, look for RB Zeke Jones, RB Sam Fairley and QB Tyler Beatty to step up...also wouldn't be surprised if B.J. Young makes a run at the starting QB position...it's Beatty's to lose at this point - and he's extremely talented - but including Brian Babin, Young was our most impressive QB in the spring and early on in fall camp...couldn't play this semester due to a technicality that resulted in him being ineligible...we'll have two physically talented QBs fight it out to replace Brian.

Defensively, we'll have an old, new guy coming back for an unexpected senior year, who should have an impact...that would All-American candidate, Tommy Connors, who redshirted this year with a hand injury.

mountaineer_dax
December 15th, 2009, 06:26 AM
is now a bad time to state rumors ive heard?xcoffeex

What happened to cline?

Tribe4SF
December 15th, 2009, 06:31 AM
For W&M.

QB- rFr. Brent Caprio 6'1" 220
TE- So. Nolan Kearney 6'4" 245
DE- rFr. Bryan Stinnie 6'5" 250
DE/DT- rFr. Sam Johnson 6'1" 255
DE- So. Chris Johnson 6'3" 230
CB- rFr. TK Hester 5'9" 180
S- rFr. Quincy September 6'4" 200
S- rFr. Jerome Couplin 6'2" 190
LB- rFr. Paul Amakihe 6'4" 205

AshevilleApp2
December 15th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Meh

Solid first post! xlolx xlolx

Welcome aboard. xthumbsupx

AppChicago
December 15th, 2009, 07:25 AM
What happened to cline?

I'm curious, too. Now's as good a time as any to come clean about rumors...

Ronbo
December 15th, 2009, 07:29 AM
WR Aaron Roberts, or so I've heard

Aaron Roberts was making an impression on the Coaching staff similar to what Mariani did. Not sure what the injury was, a knee I think. Hope he makes a full recovery. I'm told he was making our DB's look silly with his moves in fall practice.

ElonPride
December 15th, 2009, 08:37 AM
WR Lance Camp - Finally saw his ability shine in the UR playoff game. With T-Mobile gone he could be the main target
WR Aaron Mellette - Tall, Fast WR, pretty ggood hands
WR Jemery Peterson - Coaching staff was really impressed with him throughout the season. A converted QB that threw for 2,766 yards and 27 TDs his senior season

Elon is losing a lot on defense to graduation, but Lembo seemed to recruit well for the LB and the secondary the past couple of seasons.

Rekdiver
December 15th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Go to mountaineer illustrated and post info on any rumors.......

DLS
December 15th, 2009, 10:57 AM
If sanders steps in for gilbert then we are going to have some pretty decent sized db's.

phoenixphanatic21
December 15th, 2009, 12:15 PM
WR Lance Camp - Finally saw his ability shine in the UR playoff game. With T-Mobile gone he could be the main target
WR Aaron Mellette - Tall, Fast WR, pretty ggood hands
WR Jemery Peterson - Coaching staff was really impressed with him throughout the season. A converted QB that threw for 2,766 yards and 27 TDs his senior season

Elon is losing a lot on defense to graduation, but Lembo seemed to recruit well for the LB and the secondary the past couple of seasons.

Just to add on,
We return all our RBs from last year, including seldom used but still talented Dontay Taylor, so I'd call them new impact players since Terrell got so much attention on our offense last year. Our LB crops should be the strength of our defense, as we return everyone there as well, including All-Conference selection Joshua Jones and All-Freshmen Dale Riley. Watch for CB Brandon Spurlock next year. He's a converted WR who should be taking over Karlos Sullivan's starting position.

ElonPride
December 15th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Just to add on,
We return all our RBs from last year, including seldom used but still talented Dontay Taylor, so I'd call them new impact players since Terrell got so much attention on our offense last year. Our LB crops should be the strength of our defense, as we return everyone there as well, including All-Conference selection Joshua Jones and All-Freshmen Dale Riley. Watch for CB Brandon Spurlock next year. He's a converted WR who should be taking over Karlos Sullivan's starting position.

Was more or less referring to the loss of Cam McGlenn and Karlos Sullivan.

Hopefully Josh Jones will be full strength by then also after the knee injury v. UR.

McNeese75
December 15th, 2009, 12:40 PM
It's kind of an obvious choice but McNeese had two freshman backs this year, one redshirt and one true that each averaged six yards per carry and each has "take it the distance" game breaking ability. Champlain Babin and Javaris Murray.

I'm also hoping wide receiver Bernardo Henry, who also has game breaking speed, finally has a break out year.

Of course there may be people I don't know of. But those are the ones that are known quantities.

Marcus Wiltz is also coming off a redshirt next year and will need to find some way to get on the field. I believe he was considered to be better than Murray when recruited but Murray made the field.

There are other redshirts that will contribute but we will not know to what extend until next August.

CrazyCat
December 15th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Top Offensive Scout QB Denarius McGhee
Top Defensive Scout LB Aleksai Grosulak
Top Kick Teams Scout RB Cody Kirk

I'll also add RF Chris Wilson DB and Matt Thibault a committment for 2010 who won the Montana Heisman and had 8 KOR for TDs.

ToTheLeft
December 15th, 2009, 01:27 PM
For Liberty, WR Mike Brown will be moving back to his original position, QB, and starting for us. He is a freak of an athlete, and earned Big South Player of the Year honors as a WR/Wildcat QB this year as a Redshirt Soph. I look forward to seeing what he can do.

Korey Davis, a UMass transfer, will join a ridiculously deep running back corps, including UVA transfer Keith Payne.

There are rumors of defensive transfers, as well. But Brett Vinson, a Rising Sophmore Safety, will be a key player in the defensive backfield. He showed signs of great skill this year, and I think he will be a solid player for us, along with fellow classmate KaJuan Lee, who earned Big South Honors at Corner this year as a part-time player in the DB rotation.

Native
December 15th, 2009, 01:54 PM
There is a good chance that Weber State's Cameron Higgins will re-emerge as a premier quarterback in 2010. The reason is the offensive line.

This year, with nagging and recurring injuries to the experienced hawgs on the offensive line, lots of younger and more inexperienced o-linemen had to step up.

They did step up, as is clear from Weber's 7-4 regular season record against a tough schedule and Higgins' impressive 3315 passing yards and 28 touchdowns in 2009, admittedly hampered by 20 interceptions.

But this is near beer compared to Higgins' 4460 yards passing and 36 TDs in 2008, with only 13 interceptions. A primary difference in Higgins' performance was in the offensive line that sent two players from the 2009 squad to the ranks of professional football.

True, the 2009 edition is likely sending Kyle Mutcher to the NFL, but Kyle missed some games due to injuries in 2009, and the front five also lost senior Jared Wilcox to an early season broken leg.

The good news for Weber is that the Wildcats lose only two OL starters from the W&M game. Led by two-year all-conference performer JC Oram, three sophomores and a freshman who started other late-season games will return for 2010. Not only did they gain valuable experience in 2009, the still-growing big boys have another year to gain strength and size.

SpeedkingATL
December 15th, 2009, 01:56 PM
What happened to cline?

My understanding was that Cline was granted an additional year eligibility as a medical redshirt so he will be back next year.

I think Cadet/Pressley is the punt returner but it doesn't matter if we never set up for a return. Cadet truly had very few opportunites this year.

Rekdiver
December 15th, 2009, 02:00 PM
That is correct about Cline but Kid Brewer was implying something else and we've heard nothing since.......

The Moody1
December 15th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Offense for Furman

Dakota Dozier OT 6-5 285 RSFR

What a name. He must be good. :D

nms1987
December 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Why would someone tell the guy to go to a for-pay site, Mtn Illustrated, to post his rumors?

If he knows something that might affect Cline playing at App last year, post it!

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Why would someone tell the guy to go to a for-pay site, Mtn Illustrated, to post his rumors?

If he knows something that might affect Cline playing at App last year, post it!
I heard Armanti is actually a junior xsmiley_wix

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Aaron Roberts was making an impression on the Coaching staff similar to what Mariani did. Not sure what the injury was, a knee I think. Hope he makes a full recovery. I'm told he was making our DB's look silly with his moves in fall practice.

I think Roberts and Sam Gratton will make for a VERY talented receiving corps. Not sure who will throw to them after Roper, Selle AND Larson leave next year, but we seem pretty deep at receiver.

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I think Roberts and Sam Gratton will make for a VERY talented receiving corps. Not sure who will throw to them after Roper, Selle AND Larson leave next year, but we seem pretty deep at receiver. Young i might add

gbhmt
December 15th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I think Roberts and Sam Gratton will make for a VERY talented receiving corps. Not sure who will throw to them after Roper, Selle AND Larson leave next year, but we seem pretty deep at receiver.

We're going to be great at QB. Kemp is an outstanding athlete and after watching Zapata throw some passes in fall camp, I can see his throw has the best form of any QB I've seen at UM recently. Very quick release. These guys could really turn out great by the time next year's done.

PaladinNation
December 15th, 2009, 05:55 PM
What a name. He must be good. :D

Furman's lucky to have him… supposedly it was a big-time recruiting battle between Moore and Lamb.

Rumour is… he has the chance to be one of the best offensive lineman to play at Furman. That's saying a lot!

ASU_Fanatic
December 15th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I need to hear the rumors.

JohnStOnge
December 15th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Marcus Wiltz is also coming off a redshirt next year and will need to find some way to get on the field. I believe he was considered to be better than Murray when recruited but Murray made the field..

Yes. I remember that there was a back who was kind of considered the top recruit for McNeese after the 2008 season but I couldn't remember his name.

I think it's kind of interesting for McNeese. Losing Fourroux at QB and Pendland at RB are huge losses but there were a lot of very young players that either started or saw significant playing time on this year's team so it's looking like being able to find even an adequate quarterback should result in a better overall team.

What I'm hoping for is a return to playing dominant defense.

McNeese75
December 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Yes. I remember that there was a back who was kind of considered the top recruit for McNeese after the 2008 season but I couldn't remember his name.

I think it's kind of interesting for McNeese. Losing Fourroux at QB and Pendland at RB are huge losses but there were a lot of very young players that either started or saw significant playing time on this year's team so it's looking like being able to find even an adequate quarterback should result in a better overall team.

What I'm hoping for is a return to playing dominant defense.

Aren't we all xnodx

phoenixphanatic21
December 15th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Was more or less referring to the loss of Cam McGlenn and Karlos Sullivan.

Hopefully Josh Jones will be full strength by then also after the knee injury v. UR.

Gotcha. Yea, we'll need a lot of people to step up big in our secondary. Any word on who else will play safety with Andrew Straus (who I assume will take over since he was next on the depth chart)?

JohnStOnge
December 15th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Aren't we all xnodx

Well...I'm cautiously optimistic. That was an extremely young defense and it showed some flashes of brilliance at times. Yes it was tough overall but it was largely freshmen and sophmores and there were times when they looked very good.

McNeese75
December 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Well...I'm cautiously optimistic. That was an extremely young defense and it showed some flashes of brilliance at times. Yes it was tough overall but it was largely freshmen and sophmores and there were times when they looked very good.

I agree xnodx Another year of weight training and weight gain and the defense should be better.