PDA

View Full Version : Weber State 2010 Schedule

Native
December 13th, 2009, 06:59 PM
2010 Weber State Football Schedule

September 4: @ Boston College (#40 Sagarin, #39 Massey)
September 11: Northern Colorado
September 18: @ Sacramento State
September 25: OPEN
October 2: EWU
October 9: @ SUU (Great West Football Conference)
October 16: @ Idaho State
October 23: Portland State
October 30: Montana
November 6: @ Montana State
November 13: @ NAU
November 20: @ Texas Tech (#31 Sagarin, #25 Massey)

Looks like Weber State has another tough schedule for 2010. The good news for the Wildcats is that they get to host both Eastern Washington and Montana in Ogden.

gbhmt
December 13th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Looks like Weber State has another tough schedule for 2020. The good news for the Wildcats is that they get to host both Eastern Washington and Montana in Ogden.

Looks solid but you'd think that WSU would stop scheduling two FBS teams. More than one just hurts your record.

3PeatNation
December 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Looks solid but you'd think that WSU would stop scheduling two FBS teams. More than one just hurts your record. Actually scheduling the 2 FBS teams is the reason they made the playoffs really it helps too have a tough schedule the committee likes it

Native
December 13th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Looks solid but you'd think that WSU would stop scheduling two FBS teams. More than one just hurts your record.

My preference would be two out-of-conference FCS home-and-home games and only one "money game" per season, possibly two in 12-game seasons. I guess we need the $$$.

Anyway, the glass is half full, dammit!

gbhmt
Actually scheduling the 2 FBS teams is the reason they made the playoffs really it helps too have a tough schedule the committee likes it

No it's not. If you replace either of those FBS losses with an FCS win it looks just as good if not better.

soccerguy315

Looks like Weber State has another tough schedule for 2020. The good news for the Wildcats is that they get to host both Eastern Washington and Montana in Ogden.

2020... Weber State is scheduling very far in advance. xlolx

Native
December 13th, 2009, 07:06 PM
2020... Weber State is scheduling very far in advance. xlolx

Fixed it. :o

Native
December 13th, 2009, 07:07 PM
No it's not. If you replace either of those FBS losses with an FCS win it looks just as good if not better.

Concur. That would be my preference.

3PeatNation
December 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Although Weber State has 2 FBS teams i see a win against boston college, could be a gut check for BC, Weber came close to winning both FBS games this season. Though scheduling Texas Tech this season didnt make much sense, they shouldve scheduled a Washington State or New Mexico make it easier.

soccerguy315
December 13th, 2009, 07:12 PM
why the two FBS teams? Do you guys need that money? I know you played two this year (and played them very well too)... do you guys always play two?

turn1979
December 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I feel for the fans. Only 4 home games and 7 on the road??

Native
December 13th, 2009, 07:37 PM
why the two FBS teams? Do you guys need that money? I know you played two this year (and played them very well too)... do you guys always play two?

I am not privy to the budget but I suppose we do need the money. The AD regime changes every few years, so I cannot say that we always do one thing or the other. In the past, I would say that we were more likely to include a DII game.

I much prefer an all-DI schedule, even if it means we have to play a couple of FBS games.

Native
December 13th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Although Weber State has 2 FBS teams i see a win against boston college, could be a gut check for BC, Weber came close to winning both FBS games this season. Though scheduling Texas Tech this season didnt make much sense, they shouldve scheduled a Washington State or New Mexico make it easier.

Thanks. I hope we do well against Boston College to kick off the season, bit I am not yet too excited about playing Texas Tech the week before the playoffs.

Washington State might have been a good choice, but New Mexico probably could not offer much in the way of a guarantee. Not sure that either were available.

Both BC and TT should provide ample payouts. I sure hope coach Mac gets some of that $$$ for the football program.

nwFL Griz
December 13th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Native, can I ask your source for this?

I Bleed Purple
December 13th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Looks like Weber State has another tough schedule for 2010. The good news for the Wildcats is that they get to host both Eastern Washington and Montana in Ogden.

xthumbsdownxxthumbsdownxxthumbsdownx xthumbsdownxxthumbsdownxxthumbsdownxxthumbsdownx xthumbsdownx

4 ****** %@#$%#$ @&@#$%#$% home games?

@!$#$# !$%^!@# !@#%!@# 4?

Native
December 13th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Yeah, it sucks for all four of us Weber fans.

...just joking. We averaged 6,500 in attendance this year despite a major blizzard which lowered the gate for the NAU game - not great but above average for the FCS.

At least Colorado State and Wyoming were within driving distance for Weber fans this year.

Next year, unfortunately, Boston and Lubbock will require flights that most families just cannot afford.

Native
December 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM
xthumbsdownxxthumbsdownxxthumbsdownx xthumbsdownxxthumbsdownxxthumbsdownxxthumbsdownx xthumbsdownx

4 ****** %@#$%#$ @&@#$%#$% home games?

@!$#$# !$%^!@# !@#%!@# 4?

Could be worse, brotha. xlolx

I Bleed Purple
December 13th, 2009, 07:50 PM
4?

Four home games?

넷?

I guess those season tickets things we get will now have TWO 10% off bookstore merchandise instead of just one.

Think of the savings.

ASU_Fanatic
December 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Phew, 7 road games including trips to Texas Tech and BC...wow.

I Bleed Purple
December 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Seriously. 4?

Native
December 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Native, can I ask your source for this?

Nothing official. Just a post on our home board. Apparently we replaced Hofstra on the BC schedule, and you can find us on a couple of Texas Tech blog sites.

Native
December 13th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Seriously. 4?

At least Cedar City is within driving distance. xlolx

Native
December 13th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Phew, 7 road games including trips to Texas Tech and BC...wow.

Weber has done well on the road the last couple of years, beating NAU, Montana State and Cal Poly on the road last year, and sinking Eastern Washington this year.

I Bleed Purple
December 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Any other way I can scream "four home games" incredulously?

nwFL Griz
December 13th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Nothing official. Just a post on our home board. Apparently we replaced Hofstra on the BC schedule, and you can find us on a couple of Texas Tech blog sites.

You are definitely on Texas tech's schedule (it's on their site), and I just saw the article about you replacing Hofstra for BC. My question is the SUU game. Right now, UND shows SUU at their place on Oct 9. Of course both teams (SUU, UND) have the 16th open, so I'm sure it's no big deal to push that one back a week.

Thanks for the info! xthumbsupx

3PeatNation
December 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM
You guys may have only 4 home games but the home games are the ones you would want to be at home like Montana and Eastern Washington, also another suggestion instead of the Texas Tech game would be the D-II road with maybe Central Washington, may be a good D-II team but its better than going to Lubbock, although theres always a chance

Native
December 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM
You are definitely on Texas tech's schedule (it's on their site), and I just saw the article about you replacing Hofstra for BC. My question is the SUU game. Right now, UND shows SUU at their place on Oct 9. Of course both teams (SUU, UND) have the 16th open, so I'm sure it's no big deal to push that one back a week.

Thanks for the info! xthumbsupx

The SUU game has an asterisk beside it on the schedule I have seen.

Native
December 13th, 2009, 08:14 PM
You guys may have only 4 home games but the home games are the ones you would want to be at home like Montana and Eastern Washington, also another suggestion instead of the Texas Tech game would be the D-II road with maybe Central Washington, may be a good D-II team but its better than going to Lubbock, although theres always a chance

I've got to disagree with you there, 3PN. A DII victory does not count in the committee's eyes come playoff time and looks infinitely worse than a DI loss if your team happens to stumble and lose against the lower division team.

Seven or eight DI wins and a good showing in Lubbock will bode well for Weber's chances next year.

3PeatNation
December 13th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I've got to disagree with you there, 3PN. A DII victory does not count in the committee's eyes come playoff time and looks infinitely worse than a DI loss if your team happens to stumble and lose against the lower division team. D-I victories dont help you guys either, it didnt help New Hampshire or Villanova this season, in my eyes Villanova shouldve been the 1 seed but wasnt because Montana went undefeated even though Villanova took down a pretty good temple team

Native
December 13th, 2009, 08:20 PM
D-I victories dont help you guys either, it didnt help New Hampshire or Villanova this season, in my eyes Villanova shouldve been the 1 seed but wasnt because Montana went undefeated even though Villanova took down a pretty good temple team

How can you say Villanova got screwed when they earned the #2 seed? In regards to getting an at-large bid, a minimum of 7 DI wins is required. A DII win is irrelevant.

Seeding is a different animal, but it is hard to say that the seeding committee got it wrong when #1 and #2 are meeting in Chattty for the national championship.

3PeatNation
December 13th, 2009, 08:24 PM
How can you say Villanova got screwed when they earned the #2 seed? In regards to getting an at-large bid, a minimum of 7 DI wins is required. A DII win is irrelevant.

Seeding is a different animal, but it is hard to say that the seeding committee got it wrong when #1 and #2 are meeting in Chattty for the national championship. Its still not bad to play a D-II team, Montana did and even thought they went undefeated it still didnt hurt them and i think Weber State is a good enough team to run the table i think u guys still have Higgins and Toone, big playmakers so scheduling teams outside of your division shouldnt make much a difference

Native
December 13th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Its still not bad to play a D-II team, Montana did and even thought they went undefeated it still didnt hurt them and i think Weber State is a good enough team to run the table i think u guys still have Higgins and Toone, big playmakers so scheduling teams outside of your division shouldnt make much a difference

Montana was able to suffer a DII team on their schedule because the ran the table against the DI teams on their schedule, finishing 10-0 in DI contests.

If Weber had scheduled and beat DII Dixie State or any other non-DI team in lieu of Cal Poly this year, the Wildcats would have garnered only 6 DI wins and would NOT have been the last team in the playoffs. Period.

As it was, Weber barely squeaked in to the playoffs with only 7 DI wins, and only because UNI lost their final game of the season.

Higgins returns for 2010 but Toone was a senior this year.

tribe_pride
December 13th, 2009, 08:28 PM
An FBS loss is just as good or better than a D-II win as long as the FBS loss is somewhat competitive. UNH beat Ball St (one of the worst FBS teams out there - not UNH's fault they were decent in 2008) and made the playoffs. Not sure how that worked against them

As for Villanova, if they had beaten an FCS team or a D-II team instead of Temple, it may have made a difference to drop them below SIU who only lost to Marshall by 3 before the playoffs. Nova's loss was to UNH. Anyways, a 1 seed is the same as a 2 seed in the FCS playoffs.

3PeatNation
December 13th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Montana was able to suffer a DII team on their schedule because the ran the table against the DI teams on their schedule, finishing 10-0 in DI contests.

If Weber had scheduled and beat DII Dixie State or any other non-DI team in lieu of Cal Poly this year, the Wildcats would have garnered only 6 DI wins and would NOT have been the last team in the playoffs. Period.

As it was, Weber barely squeaked in to the playoffs with only 7 DI wins, and only because UNI lost their final game of the season.

Higgins returns for 2010 but Toone was a senior this year. Wow i had Toone as a junior on Ncaa Football 10 gotta go change that lol

I Bleed Purple
December 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Four home games...

And two of them are back to back!

Four of first 6 ON THE ROAD.

Last three ON THE ROAD.

Let's hope we get the Men's BB championship. Go Damien!

UMass922
December 13th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Beat BC!

Native
December 13th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Four home games...

And two of them are back to back!

Four of first 6 ON THE ROAD.

Last three ON THE ROAD.

Let's hope we get the Men's BB championship. Go Damien!

With that road schedule, I am worried more about the kids' mid-term grades than about their win-loss record.

JALMOND
December 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM

4 home games, although both ISU and MSU are close to Ogden. If the SUU game falls through, Weber should be able to garner another home game. Both BC and Texas Tech have to be giving Weber a ton of money to travel that far and cover the other road games. Makes me think that the AD is counting on SUU backing out so they can get a home game that weekend.

Another subject, is Nakamura coming back next year? (I think that is how you spell it, or at least I'm close I think).

Native
December 13th, 2009, 10:37 PM
4 home games, although both ISU and MSU are close to Ogden. If the SUU game falls through, Weber should be able to garner another home game. Both BC and Texas Tech have to be giving Weber a ton of money to travel that far and cover the other road games. Makes me think that the AD is counting on SUU backing out so they can get a home game that weekend.

Another subject, is Nakamura coming back next year? (I think that is how you spell it, or at least I'm close I think).

My understanding is that the money from BC and TT will be pretty good, but not nearly as good as what ISU got for playing Oklahoma last year.

With seven Okies on the Weber State roster, my preference for recruiting purposes would be to schedule a sacrificial game with either Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. For example, RB Justin White from Wellston, OK, averaged 7.4 YPC in 2008 as Trevyn's backup, and should return next year after an injury early this season.

As far as we know, Kevin Nakamura plans to come back and the staff has petitioned the NCAA for his sixth year of eligibility.

You could be right about our AD hoping that SUU is dropped so we can schedule a fifth home game, but it won't be worth it if that last home game turns out to be a DII or NAIA opponent. SUU is fine with me. Cedar City (SUU) is even closer than Bozeman.

Admittedly, however, there aren't that many traveling WSU fans except for the ISU game.

Squealofthepig
December 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM
First, nothing wrong with scheduling FBS teams for cash. I would much rather our friends in Ogden have two tough FBS teams on their schedule than go the way of Northeastern or Hofstra. These are tough times.

Second - Weber did make the playoffs, and I think the committee will take into account the caliber of FBS teams on their schedule. Seven wins will still be tough, but I think all FCS fans would like to think that teams get some credit for scheduling tougher schedules, so long as they can win enough games for consideration (think of how many times we've seen 7-4 teams get in with tough schedules while 9 win teams in "weaker" conferences have stayed home).

Third - man, will I be a Weber fan for their first and last games!

89Hen
December 14th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Sorry Wildcat fans, but as others said, this is a horrible schedule. Two I-A's and only four home games. If you lose to Montana, you can't afford another I-AA loss. xsmhx

smcwildcat
December 14th, 2009, 10:18 AM
stoppppp playing 2 fbs hard games its gettn old

nwFL Griz
December 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM
stoppppp playing 2 fbs hard games its gettn old

What choice do they have, you guys keep taking all the Ball States and Armys of the world! xlolx

DG Cowboy
December 14th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Weber has TT and BC. McNeese has LSU and Missouri. The Fieldhouse addition costs $$$$$.

Native
December 14th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Sorry Wildcat fans, but as others said, this is a horrible schedule. Two I-A's and only four home games. If you lose to Montana, you can't afford another I-AA loss. xsmhx

Not true. With an eleven game DI schedule, an 8-3 DI record next year or possibly even 7-4 will be a playoff-calibre schedule.

89Hen
December 14th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Not true. With an eleven game DI schedule, an 8-3 DI record next year or possibly even 7-4 will be a playoff-calibre schedule.
I wouldn't want to have to count on 7-4 again next year. I'd have to guess the Committee would look REALLY hard at 7-4 and 38-0 this year. xpeacex

Native
December 14th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't want to have to count on 7-4 again next year. I'd have to guess the Committee would look REALLY hard at 7-4 and 38-0 this year. xpeacex

No doubt that 7-4 will be a hard sell next year or any year, but as you know, it will all be in context of the times. xreadx

No shame from my corner in losing to a fantastic William & Mary team in their home lair! That 38-0 beat down does not look nearly as bad after the past couple of weeks, in which the same W&M squad beat down the #3 seed SIU 24-3 on the road, and fell by only 1 point on the road at #2 seed Villanova. xcoolx

Wat's up with the attacks already? Are you starting the trash talk early so you can try to foist a CAA team with 6 DI wins into the post season next year?!?? xrolleyesx ...or are you shilling for one of those CAA OOC patsies with 8 wins over bottom 50 DI teams?!?? xeyebrowx ...Do you really hate the Big Sky that much?

Peace my arse! xlolx ...but I love you, too, maaaaaaan!

JALMOND
December 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM

As much as I want to disagree, I can't argue with you on this. As much as we out west here were relieved when the Big Sky got three teams in, who's to say that a 9-2 Colgate team would not have had similar results against William & Mary. I have to agree with you that this could be a factor in the eyes of the committee next year (and years to come).

Native
December 14th, 2009, 09:27 PM
As much as I want to disagree, I can't argue with you on this. As much as we out west here were relieved when the Big Sky got three teams in, who's to say that a 9-2 Colgate team would not have had similar results against William & Mary. I have to agree with you that this could be a factor in the eyes of the committee next year (and years to come).

Are you talking about the 9-2 Colgate team ranked a well-justified 32d among FCS teams by Massey, whose schedule opponent's average Massey rank was 73, with 7 opponents in the bottom half of the FCS, losses to #23 and #24, and a "signature" victory against #44 Stony Brook (6-5)? xoopsx

If that is to be the standard for earning a playoff bid, why not just schedule all out of conference games with the Pioneer League? xeyebrowx

Native
December 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
No matter what 89hen says, Weber is likely to have another good year in 2010, with a strong potential for 8 or possibly 9 wins.

With 13-15 starters and lots of experience returning, the Wildcats could surpass not only 2009, but also their more spectacular 2008 performance in which WSU beat Top 10 Montana 45-28 at home and #3 Cal Poly 49-35 on the road.

Most of the starters return on on offense, inclusing QB Cameron Higgins and NFL-bound WR Mike Phillips. More importantly, most of a young offensive line which had to step up after injuries to the veterans will return with experience and another year to grow into their frames. Pre-season all-American TE Cody Nakamura should also return for a sixth and final campaign after receiving an early season-ending injury.

On defense a squad from which little was expected at the start if the season finished as the #1 scoring defense in the Big Sky and returns most of its starters as well.

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Heres my predictions on Weber State's season, 10-2 (Loses to Montana and Texas Tech, Yes they beat BC and EWU)

I Bleed Purple
December 15th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Maybe we can set a record or something for most road wins in a season. xrolleyesx

JALMOND
December 15th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Are you talking about the 9-2 Colgate team ranked a well-justified 32d among FCS teams by Massey, whose schedule opponent's average Massey rank was 73, with 7 opponents in the bottom half of the FCS, losses to #23 and #24, and a "signature" victory against #44 Stony Brook (6-5)? xoopsx

If that is to be the standard for earning a playoff bid, why not just schedule all out of conference games with the Pioneer League? xeyebrowx

My point, the committee knows it more or less had to include a strong 7-4 team in this year's playoff field, based on past performances of the stronger conferences against the perceived weaker conferences. However, for a 7-4 team to lose 38-0 in the first round, hard to argue that a 9-2 team from the Patriot could have done worse. Next year, 7-4 teams from the power conferences may find it difficult because of this.

I was glad that the Big Sky got three teams in. I was hoping for a much better showing from Weber, though (I think you were, too), to justify the selection. Anything to stay away from the "Big Fluff" label.

Native
December 15th, 2009, 08:34 PM
My point, the committee knows it more or less had to include a strong 7-4 team in this year's playoff field, based on past performances of the stronger conferences against the perceived weaker conferences. However, for a 7-4 team to lose 38-0 in the first round, hard to argue that a 9-2 team from the Patriot could have done worse. Next year, 7-4 teams from the power conferences may find it difficult because of this.

I was glad that the Big Sky got three teams in. I was hoping for a much better showing from Weber, though (I think you were, too), to justify the selection. Anything to stay away from the "Big Fluff" label.

I take your point, but it was not necessary for the committee to gauge "perceived" conference strength when the Big Sky went 9-2 against FCS out-of-conference competition in 2009. No "Big Fluff" this year.

The math does not change from year to year, but conference performances do change. In any given year, when conferences lose out of conference DI games it helps, and when they lose it hurts come at-large selection time.

The playoff goose egg at W&M in '09 looked bad, but the 49-35 road win over #3 CP-CLO in '08 looked good. This year's loss to W&M MAY affect Weber's chances next year if Weber shows up with an identical 7-4 record, yet they could still get in due to the expanded playoff format. The blowout could keep Weber out of the top 16, but not out of the top 20.

Either way, Weber's poor first round performance in 2009 is unlikely to have a long term impact past next year, and may not even affect next year.

CrazyCat
December 15th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Montana
@ Montana State
@ NAU
@ Texas Tech

That's a tough 4 weeks at the end of the regular season

Native
December 15th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Montana
@ Montana State
@ NAU
@ Texas Tech

That's a tough 4 weeks at the end of the regular season

Hell yes! xlolx And I want to thank the lads ahead of time for carrying Weber athletics on their broad shoulders in those two FBS games.

HLNgriz
December 15th, 2009, 09:18 PM

Must be doing missons.:)

Native
December 15th, 2009, 09:32 PM

I prefer to sacrifice that fifth home game if it means we get an all-DI schedule.

At this point, a fifth home game would most likely have to be DII or NAIA.

argh!
December 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM

all 400 of them?

I Bleed Purple
December 15th, 2009, 10:32 PM
all 400 of them?

We have feelings, too, you know.

Native
December 16th, 2009, 02:36 AM
all 400 of them?

We have that many?!??? xeyebrowx

Native
December 17th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Timmy Toone did his mission in west Africa. Maybe we could send some redshirt receivers there for a couple of years! xlolxxlolxxlolx